View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 30 2008 at 23:08 | IP Logged Quote floater251

all, back to the exhaust smell thing. while surfing through ebay. came across thei chris, item # 160276549353 take a look at the exhaust, outside of the transom. i think this is the answer we all have been looking for.

floater

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 08:26 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hey Floater: Thanks and I will check it out for sure.I hope to splash on Tuesday afternoon if all goes well. See Ya,Bill

PS Ha! Its been so long I am sorta scared it might not work if so back to the drawing board.
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 08:43 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

that's it Floater!  I wonder if they are available as a part currently

Hey Capt' Heavy?  Are you familiar with this in your line of work?  Any ideas on brand and part number?

Thanks,

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 08:52 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Yeah that's the ticket!! maybe the connie guys can help us with this one...looks like a real good fix. gustav is going by us right now,only out in the gulf WAYYY OUTa few bands of rain washing over us but not any real winds. thankyou!!no boating this weekend,so guess I'll hit the local chickee bar and watch the tide come and go--happy LABOR DAY guys and for those of you that do go on the water BE SAFE!!we may still have to deal with HANNA but I think it's going to be Capt.H's girl..

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 10:08 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Guys: I found them on Serria Parts under the exhaust section. So check them out
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 10:46 | IP Logged Quote floater251

SwanneeBill, cant find it.....

floater

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 10:51 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Floater: I misspelled the name it is Sierra Boat Parts I will try to forward the address to you as I have it in my favorites.See Ya,Bill

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 10:55 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hey Floater: Check here is the address and they are under exhaust parts<www.marine parts.com>Hope that works if not let me know

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 11:13 | IP Logged Quote floater251

still no luck. i'll try later. time to work on the lawn.

floater

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 11:21 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Tom: THe address for the exhaust elbows is   <Marine engines.com>  Look that up for floater and the part is under the exhaust section,See Ya,Bill

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 11:21 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hey Bill any more specifics on the above topic?? I looked and could not find--do you have a page number from the on line catalog???? thanks for the help-Boatmab66

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 11:52 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Boatman: I have it in my favorites as WWW.marine engine.com try that and it should be a sierra catalog and then it is under the exhaust hose andexhaust parts. I am going out for lunch and will check back later and I hope that you find it with out trouble. See Ya,Bill

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 15:46 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hey Guys: I am back and the item is in WWW.marine engine.com and the sierra catalog will come up  on the left side scroll down to the marine hoses and in the sub category click on exhaust hoses>Here is the part # 16-290-2120 that should do it for that item.Hope this works for you

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 16:41 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Bill, I checkd out that part and it seems to be just an exhause elbow.  The devices on the stern of the chris craft photo in page 77 seems like it is more than an elbow...looks like 4 bolts secure it to the stern, has cooling fins and drops the opening just below the hull.

We need to find out what they are called, there must be a name for them.  I searched every marine exhaust engine parts website and there is nothing pictured anywhere that resembles those things.  I bet it is something that used to be availalbe on older boats as I saw something similar on an early 70's silverton in the boat yard where my Cat was stored last winter, however they were mounted in the center of the stern inbetween the running gear.

If we still dont know, I will check for that boat in the yard at the end of the season and let everyone know.

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 31 2008 at 19:28 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Tom: Maybe someone on the CCCC Forum could shed some light on the things. I couldn't see it very good .I bet Pete  on the constellation  section knows somew thing about them.He is well read on the Chris Crafts.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: September 01 2008 at 08:53 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

OK FLOATER I elect you to put that pix of those exhausts on the connie guys site,line above or below us,to PETE 37,as Bill suggests,maybe someone on there can come up with something. They are in deep discussions about soot etc. on their boats. Also there are the 251 guys at the other site on here that may be able to help,but it is your expertise in posting pix that we need to get this going. MANY THANKS BOATMAN

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 01 2008 at 09:53 | IP Logged Quote floater251

OK! now we just wait................................anything yet?

floater!

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 02 2008 at 11:44 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, gang. Boatman, glad gustav missed you. Weather was not good here over the labor day weekend. Windy, cloudy, some rain, hot and humid. Monday the best day, took Mystic Diver out for a few hours and a few cold ones. Water in the river is dirty from all the rain from Fay. Called for 7 foot seas in the ocean over the weekend.  Now we've got hanna to deal with. And then Ike. Here at Hinckley we're boarding up windows and hauling a lot of boats just in case. I'll wait a few more days before I hit the panic button. Have gas for the generator, first mate stocked up on bottled water, I'll stock up on bottled refreshments. Double up on dock lines for sure, maybe remove bridge enclosure if it looks like hanna will get close. Hurricanes creat nothing but work. The ground here is still saturated. Just what we need, more rain. Boatman, South Florida water Mismanagement are talking about draining Lake O out of both rivers like they did after the last hurricanes. Just as our waterways were starting to look good again. Does the Caloosahatchee River impact you when they drain the lake??? Hope not. Oh well, thats the price we pay for living in "paradise". Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: September 02 2008 at 15:40 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

RDUHON HOW ARE YOU DOING WITH THE STORM?HOPE ALL IS WELL!! 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: September 02 2008 at 15:48 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi Capt H. yes the pump out of the lake does affect us especially ft myrs and to some degree further south.It can be a real mess. they need to finish the new reservoir they are building for overflow purposes now would be good time to use it.gustave was a non thing here not much rain or wind we sat out and watched it go by could see the heavy bands out in the gulf.waves were 4-5 and high tide came up to the top of the seawall but not over it close but no cigarthanks for asking. Looks like the tropics are lining up to do the do!!and they are all WEST BOUND!! I have gone to semi prep status,so I don't have to do a lot when one is near..Makes things easier and more time for beer!!!

rduhon
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 02 2008 at 16:55 | IP Logged Quote rduhon

We moved our boat to a bigger stall, over 20' high and twice as wide as the boat.
We wanted to keep the rain water out the boat if possible.
We had a lot of rain, but no surge. We ended up on the SW quad. of the hurricane.
The water level might come up due to all the rain in northwest and north central La.
Moved the boat back to our covered slip this morning. No damage at all.
We were very lucky compared to Hurricane Rita.
Back to Top Printable version View rduhon's Profile Search for other posts by rduhon

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 02 2008 at 19:41 | IP Logged Quote floater251

rduhon, glad all is well. you have a beautiful craft, would be a shame to see her blemished.

floater.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 02 2008 at 19:49 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Redbarontu, if you are out there, how are boat sales doing out there? im going with my buddy to carry 2 boats to mccotters marina in washington nc in 2-3 weeks his boss is selling. they said their sales have not dropped much at all. im really considering taking the floater out that way if things dont get any better here.

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 03 2008 at 08:20 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, everybody. Boatman, glad to hear gustav missed you.  We need as much time as possible to dry out before the next 'cane hits us. Roger on the hurricane prep. Backed out my shutter screws on the house last night. just have to hang the shutters and snug down the screws if it looks like we're going to take a hit. I can install all my shutters in about an hour. Had plenty of practice with Francis, Jean and Wilma. Where do you put your cat during a blow? Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: September 03 2008 at 09:23 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

First-RDUHON super glad you are all right,the news keeps bringin up lake charles,glad to hear you are ok way to go I echo floater,too nice a boat to lose CAPT HEAVY I keep her on my lift behind the house,It's rated at 10,000 lbs. and the boat weighs 7,000 I tie her to the cradle beams put her up high then tie the cradle to the pilings plus long lines off the corners to cleats on the seawall, that way MAYBE if it all falls over it may float.She survived wilma and charley wityh no damage, Hope I never find outThey are getting ready to drain lake O again they say the new grasses are a goner for sure! ---holes

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 03 2008 at 10:14 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Boatman, sweet deal on lift storage. Would love to have that. We have a community marina in my development, but it's behind the lock, so you have to go thru the lock each time you want to go to the ocean or river. Can take 15 min. to an hour each way. No thanks. The lock is closed for repairs all summer so those who have a boat at our docks are stuck in the canal. Read in the paper this morning about lake O. However they are already doing some draining at our end, just havn't told anyone. Being on a lift saves on bottom work, zincs, gelcoat blisters etc. Sounds great. How far to the gulf? H.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 03 2008 at 10:47 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hey Capt. Heavy,

Do you know what these things on the stern of this Catalina are called?

Looks they route the exhaust fumes into the water and the CO along with them but dont know what they're called.  I am not sure they still make anything like them, maybe we can come up with used ones???  Last time out the CO meter read 500PPM and the alarm sounded.  I am still trying combinations of windows, vents and doors opened and closed based on boat speed and wind direction...sometimes I can get a good combination, sometimes I cannot.

I know what you guys are going through down there in paradise...we lived there in the 90's but moved back to NY.  My parents live in Cape Coral on the water and they go through the same thing with prepping the boats (54' Navigator, 18' Whaler) and house each time there is a threat.  Hang in there!

Tom

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 03 2008 at 11:12 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Tom. Those are transom mounted mufflers, were made by Sudbury, pretty sure they don't make them anymore. They were made out of a heavy neoprene type of material. They have been around for years, so you may be able to find a used set, although I don't know what the life expectancy of them are. Heavy

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 03 2008 at 13:55 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thanks Capt H.  I did a quick search on them but came up empty.  I worte to one website who deals in marine exhaust, will post their reply once received.

Looks like Hanna may be coming up the coast by the weekend to pay us a visit, we'll be keepin' an eye on her.

"MY WAY"

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: September 03 2008 at 14:52 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Hello everone:

congrats to all who escaped damage fron the hurricane! we'er watching close and a little concerned one or more of the new ones may come to the carolinas. wish us luck.

I'm a little late but must give Bill a round of applause for the interior work he did on his boat. It was very impressive both as to workmanship and design. If you don't get that new boat I will offer up mine for a new project for you. Seriously if you were here and wanted it you could get lots of work.

Floater, boat sales here are not what they once were but for from dead. Unfortunately the slow down is in power boats but even they are moving pretty well. I am 60 70 miles fron washington nc and know it well. I almost bought a chris 281 at McCotters. If you are going to in washington come by Oriental and I'll give you the tour. Oriental is a smaller town but has a lot of boats we are also located right on the ICW and get lots of traffic. I work for a Broker here in Oriental its called BOW TO STERN YACHT SERVICES If I or the broakage can be of help let me know.

See you guys, I enjoy all of your posts   Red Baron, Oriental nc.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 03 2008 at 15:45 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

O.K. Red, looks like we MAY be spared hanna and you might get her, but things could change. So I think I'll prep Mystic Diver jus in case. What should I do first. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Open a beer, that's what, then I'm sure the rest will come to me. HA! See Y'all tomorrow. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 03 2008 at 19:32 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Capt Heavy. looks like hanna will come right across me when she comes into n.c. i am sitting at the east side of charlotte, good news is that that she will come nowhere close to the floater.

floater.

baron, i will let you know when i go to little washington, if anything, id like to meet you. about mccotters, he sold a couple boaats for my x boss. im supprised he sells anything, his prices are a little on the high side. i am pulling the boat out of the water at the end of september, re-running add, droping price prob down to 5000. any takers out there?

floater

Edited by floater251 on September 03 2008 at 20:45

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: September 03 2008 at 21:28 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Ahoy Skippers,

With the hiring of a professional marine mechanic, we're commencing a dockside servicing of the top-end of our '83 230 (305GM) Mercruiser engine starting next week. This includes head replacments. The casting on one of them is worn due to rust at an exhaust port on one of them. It should be very interesting to follow along and maybe God forbid, entertaining. To this end I'm considering posting a blow-by-blow synopsis with photos as this goes down. Our mechanic will do this in two days seperated by about 1-2 weeks for parts ordering, machining. Labor estimate: 17 hrs @$85 hr. 

Question:  Should we run a seperate thread for this process?

This is the engine:

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 03 2008 at 21:32 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Whatever you wanna do Roy, I can't wait to see the progress and results.  A new fourm would keep things better organized.  Thanks for the pix.

Tom

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 04 2008 at 08:42 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

85$ an hour? Ouch! And I thought we were High. Here at hinckley we charge 70 per hour for a top notch diesel mechanic. What were the symptoms That made you decide to do a head job? Did you do a compression check? Backfiring, lost power, water in cylinder? How many hours on the motor? capt. heavy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 04 2008 at 08:50 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Floater, looks like hanna is headed your way, Might not be so strong by the time it gets to you.  Domn here we are looking hard at Ike. Already a cat 4 most computer models have it headed right for me. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHh. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 04 2008 at 09:14 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Capt Heavy, if it looks like you are on a collision corse with ike, what are you going to do, i hope your not planning to ride out that monster. still an open invite here if needed.

floater

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 04 2008 at 10:31 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi All: I sure hope you make it with out getting a lot of damage out of these storms! I got some in the storm of 93 as the water got so high it pushed my 25 ft Proline thru the roof of the boat shed.UGH What a mess and No Ins coverage...Bite the bullet I did and came out ok as I went to Don's Salvage in Clearwater and found a exact windshield with the frame..I was so lucky on being able to find the parts.GOOD LUCK
Bill

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: September 04 2008 at 11:56 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Heavy,

Good questions...

Yup, labor is expensive here on the West Coast. Svensen's Boatyard down the way charges $102 hr for a mechanic!

The engine runs well- if a bit rich. My stratagy of holding it together with minor repairs for the last 8 years is starting to run its course. This is really heavy maintenance work for an engine with 970 hrs. A compressed air check two years ago indicated a fair-at-best situation for the valve train. Rust errosion on the starboard head's center exhaust port is raising its ugly head again following a chewing gum and rubberband fix on the mating surfaces in '06. At that time, I also replaced the exhaust manifolds/elbows to eliminate that as the source of moisture. Replacing the worn head gives us a chance to inspect the intake manifold and its gaskets for leaks that may be the moisture source. Photos below show my fix in '06.  I used Liquid Metal, filed flush with 2 exhaust gaskets on that side. The yellow stuff is sealing wax used for damming while the Liquid metal dryed. Liquid metal is strong medicine but is an overnight dry thing. There's a faster varient, but it's not as strong.  Not ideal, but inexpensive and to date, it's worked, although the rust is back now. A boat with a mid-trip single engine failure on in SF Bay open water,  followed by emergency anchoring and a tow is not a pleasent thought- would ruin our whole day...

Diver

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 04 2008 at 12:02 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Thanks for the invite. Both home and boat have ridden out 3 hurricanes. I'ts all about being prepared. Double line boat, remove all canvas lower antenas. Ther is a well protected basin behind our paint shop, may move the boat there. Our home is built to miami dade wind codes, 140 mph. Even the screen around the pool is built to the same standards. Biggest worry is having a trre fall on the house of pool. We have a lot of tall pines. Have a 6000watt generator wired into the breaker panel, plenty of gas, gas grill to cook on, plenty of food water and beer. Have a window a/c unit so at least we can sleep in comfort. During francis we lost power for 9 days, jean, 7 days, wilma 5 days. we learned a litte each time. I can even run the water heater if I shut off everything else. Hot shower anyone? Thanks for being concerned. Heavy

]
] ]
191 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version