View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 20 2008 at 11:53 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Red Baron,just checked my spare props and they are indeed 13x11,so I think your engines are way over revving I would check first your cables,then your timing,my engines were under revving and my mech advanced the timing and now they are right on the money,4500r's I have the same engs you have.Are both engs reading that high?? 

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: August 20 2008 at 13:25 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Glad to hear the Florida folks are safe...my parents are in Cape Coral and brother in Bonita beach, they were fine too.

As far as the RPMs are concerned, did you check to make sure the tach is accurate?  I would think anything over 5k rpms the engine would sound like she is screaming.

My single 350 mercruiser wide open is between 42 and 4300 rpm WOT and I am doing about 27-28mph per the GPS.  I am guessing my tach is accurate as the engine doesnt sound like it is screaming.  I have no idea about the prop pitch, maybe in the fall when I take her out for the winter I will check it out.

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 25 2008 at 10:21 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

hi, Ya'll. Thank god fay is gone. Rain, rain and more rain. A lot of flooding here, short handed  at work all last week, people trying to get their homes dried out. My boss got 22 inches of rain at his house. Had to sandbag it. Mystic Diver came thru unscathed. found a few minor leaks in the cabin, already found the source, will fix today after work. Went fishin saturday on diver. ocean water really dirty, even 7 miles out. Caught a nice BLACKFIN TUNA in 400 feet of water. Then ran in to 60 fet and anchored on a reef and caught some nice vermilion snapper and a few black sea bass. Mystic Diver ran absolutley perfect. My grandaughter was visiting. She has never had fresh tuna. It was a real treat for her. Lets hope for some dry weather for a while. Capt. Heavy

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 25 2008 at 11:01 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi  Capt Heavy: Glad all was ok for you and your friends.We sure do need therain here as it hasn't rained for over 3 to 4 weeks and things are really dry. I bet the Tuna put up a good fight!! They are fine Black Bass are real good also. Have a great week!
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 25 2008 at 11:59 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Yeh bill, mr. tuna was no match for a penn senator rod and reel. There were quite a few tuna jumping around the boat we had a couple of hits but no more takers. Maybe next week if tropical depression number 7 or whatever it is will go somewhere else. H. Labor Day weekend next week so I'm sure the weather won't cooperate. Hope everyone has big planes for labor day. Hard to believe summer went by so fast, although it dosn't matter to much down here. I plan on at least 2 days of fishing and maybe a little diving. Snook season opens up sept. 1. so threr will be a lot of folks looking to catch a few linesiders. Capt. H

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: August 25 2008 at 19:53 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Swannneered's interior photos of "Black Sheep" 1984 Catalina 280:

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: August 25 2008 at 19:57 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

a few more....

They look great Bill, nice work!!! 

Let me know when I can send my Catalina down for your magic touch

Tom

"MY WAY"

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 25 2008 at 20:08 | IP Logged Quote floater251

wow! bill, that is....wow! that looks better than anything new out there. the tan hull makes it look less cold, more compfortable. like a high end luxury resort. hey guys, 5 star vacation in bills boat! great job!

floater.

capt heavy, dont want to sound stupid, but, whats a snook and a linesider?

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 25 2008 at 20:54 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Tom: Thanks for posting my photos!! The restoration of that 280 was quiet a job as I had several handicaps.The boat was out side and it is really hard to work on something that is so labor intense.
The air is from Lowe's and is a 5000BTU unit and it fit under the dinette nice.It was a little tight but I tried to show the Plastic box which is strapped to the rear of the ac.How that is done is as follows. Remove the ac cover and carefully detach the cooling coil from the unit frame.Don't crimp the freon tubes or cut them it will strech out side and then you construct the  box which is  width of ac unit and slightly taller.You kinda have to build it around the coil as you go.I left the cooling fan on as I was following the instructions of a post on the Bay Liners forum.You can check there and probably locate the post as it is in the vault they call it. I think the fellow who posted it was called "Big Baby Lou".What is taking place is your making a water cooled unit out of a air cooled unit.I followed his instruction and then all the electrical work ws to get a relay so that when I turn on the unit the 12V Pump comes on.I used a bait tank pump and hope it will work. I filled the tank with water and tested it all items worked however I have not tested in in the water as yet. I will put it in the water for sea trials after Labor Day due to heavy boat traffic on the holiday I fell since I don't really know what to expect I need room. Ha My son is Chief of the rescue Squad so I will have him on notice for sure. He will probably go with the old man to keep me out of trouble.ha
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: August 25 2008 at 22:31 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Bill...WOW! Favorite details: the white galley countertop- a very clean, fresh look, Microwave cabinet- Just like mine - terrific use if space, Air conditioner- would never have thought to put one there,,,very cool (no pun). I really like the rope details on the varous edges...

All nicely executed!

diver

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 08:02 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Bill, very nice. Love the countertop. Nice a/c instalation. Floater, a snook is one of the most sought after fish in Florida. They are a tropical fish, so you don't see them north of florida. They look kind of like a stripped bass, however they only have one wavy black stripe down the side rather than several straight stripes like a stripped bass. Linesider is just a nickname for a snook. They can grow to 40 lbs. or more. I caught a 36 incher last summer. Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 08:58 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Bill way to go,love the counter top,how hard was that??was tearing out the old one as diffcult as it appears to be?did you (and roy) attach the new cabinets above the dinette seat from above (through the cabin roof)?? I want to do roughly the same thing to my 294,as it is basically set up the same way.Time to get Sally ready got a friend "charter" thursday,four women--Hope I can handle them heheheheh. Capt H yeh our water is really muddy colored too Tanin etc from the heavt rain and that dirty ol mississippi river.should flush out by the weekend.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 12:19 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Boatmen,

On our galley cabinet, it's secured to the cored ceiling. If I recall correctly, we used something like 1 1/2"  countersunk woodscrews for the mountings. On ours, the verticle SS tube is located right above the towel rack on the aft dining seat bulkhead. It's a handhold first with cabinet support as a secondary function.  We installed the 12VDC red/white selectible florecent light fixture availible from WM, an 9 volt RV smoke detector(it's smaller) and a teak paper towel rack much like what Bill did on the cabinet's under-surface. To build it, We researched appropriate sizing and procured the microwave unit first. We then made cardboard cutouts to get template countours. The wheelhouse-to-cabin fiberglass transition occurs here so the shaping of the cabinet's top needs to be carefully done first to create the verticle/horx. surfaces. We then made a thin plywood mock-up using a jigsaw to comfirm proper microwave and bar supply cavity fit. Then final fabrication, assembly and install. The Cabinet orientation is not perpendicular to the centerline. Rather, it's wider at the centerline with the space narrowing slightly toward portside. This feature allows a bit more headroom between the aft cabinet and the new cabinet.   

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 15:35 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Gang: Thanks for the nice comments! I really enjoyed working on the boat and am already looking for another one.ha Wife says NO but we will see...Wish me luck!!
Boatman as far as the tile work it isn't hard you will have to remove the sink and stove and you can lay it right on the old top.You will need to cut some strips to fill in between the aluminum railing and cement the in place.Buy the best tile glue you can from some tile company.it id in a powder for and you mix what you need.laying tile and carpentry work are trades that you have to study in over a little before cutting.ha I  made mistakes and they had to be fixed as everyone does.
Roy has the sharpest 280 I have ever seen and I have seen many of them..I guess I will sell the 280 and try to get a 38 to 41 footer (Project boat of course)I located a couple but don't have the ready cash to spend on them .I will have to sell first and the market today isn't that good however I thing things will be better next spring
Thanks,Bill

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 18:28 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Bill,

Hi praise indeed....

Coming up , new heads, haulout, driveline maintenance, bottom paint.

Pondering waterline stripe, forward head bulkhead cabin art with integrated mirrors- hmm...

Laurie Wife likes it too...

Bill, Thank You!

Also thanks to all!!

Roy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 19:16 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Ok now bill, your making it hard to part with the floater. you have added to the "to do" list this fall. what kind of material is that on the headlining? did you install it or did you have that done. does not look like the rats nest hanging from my ceiling.

haul out in the next 3 weeks.  i have access to a trailer then. i would leave it in till later, but when borrowing someone elses trailer, you have to work around them. still no hits, but i made some changes with other things that i may be able to keep her! lets all just pray that whoever gets to be our next commander in charge will fix the economy.

thanks all! floater.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 20:39 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Bill,

I wish I did not read that you may sell the Black Sheep...'cause I may have a hard time not buying her, but I probably couldn't afford it.  Like you, would need to sell mine which in its current work in progress condition could not ask for much.  I would love to get my Cat in that condition but I've been too busy playing on her.  Maybe in the fall when the weather gets a bit cooler I will get the cabin windows sealed, new headliner installed (yours looks great!) and the rest of the little projects around the cabin.  Come spring I would like to restore the exterior paint and gelcoat but we'll see.

We were just out this evening for 2 hours, probably burned 15 to 20 I mean way too much fuel but it is my way to decompress after a rough day in the office.  She's running great, bay was like glass and it is just too tempting to open the secondaries .

I agree, Roy's Cat is great looking too, real sharp boat......mine? -someday... someday.

Floater...no way to keep her in all year down there?  I will haul out in early November up here in NY...April to November is a pretty good season for the north.

Tom

Edited by Nauti Cat on August 26 2008 at 20:41

"MY WAY"

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 20:54 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Floater: Gee I sure hope you can hold on to the Floater! The head liner is  aa cheap piece of indoor carpet that I got from local carpet store. That is the only think major that I had help on and my son helped with that. I did all the work on the boat my self .I cannot afford to hire people to work for me. I have always tried a little of everything. I had the most trouble regelcoating the top side of the hull. It was so simple what the problem was .I was failing to stir the catlus    in to the gelcoat well enough and it would never get hard. I redid it 3 times.UGH The last time I order gelcaot from adiffrent place and they send instructions.I mixed it thier way and Bam! IT was real hard like it was supposed to be.
THe way we installed the headliner was  with contact cement. We sprayed it on the carpet as we were installing it and also put it on the ceiling  as we went. THe cement is used at trim shops and it is sprayable which is  nice .I did some small stuff with a brush and it is nicer to spray it.Best I recall the cost of the carpet was around 50.00 and we were about 1/2 day installing it but I had spray gun and compressor  all ready when help arrived.THe comtact cement can be cleaned off with Lac quer thinner nicely. Te carpet does not have a backing and it is indoor-outdoor.Go down to the local carpet store and take a look. I will send you a small sample if you like. See Ya, Bill

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 20:54 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Photos from this past Sunday at Watch Hill Fire Island...

And a link to my latest youtube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hitb4Yja8uU

About 25 seconds into the video...you'll hear the secondaries open as I go to WOT...just cant help it  !

"MY WAY"

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 21:00 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thanks for the info on the carpeted headliner Bill, what type and brand of contact cement did you use?  How was the odor?  I thought of doing it myself but I do not have much help yet...the kids are still pretty young.  I was considering paying to have it done by a professional but the cost is $2000 including a waterproof vinyl headliner in the head....maybe I will get up enough confidence to do it myself, 2 grand is a lot of $...could use it to satisfy my addiction to WOT 

Tom

"MY WAY"

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 21:02 | IP Logged Quote floater251

cat, not really necessary at all, as long as a small heat source, as simple as a 75 watt light bulb is left burning inside the engine compartment on nights below 20 deg. which is rare but possible. the big reason to haul out is the marina fee im unable to budget at this time. i figure if shes here at home, with fiew materials, i can improve on the needed things. im lucky to have a best friend who is an ace boat mechanic, a sister who is a seamstress, carpenter in my blood, and work for a gm dealership service department with lots of connections! i figure if i cant afford to cruise on her, i will doll her up!

damn, i love my boat!

floater

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 21:03 | IP Logged Quote floater251

wow! is everyone on tonite?

floater.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 21:07 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

I hear ya floater...nice 'connections' though.  When mine is hauled out for hte winter, that is the only time I tackle the bigger projects too.

"MY WAY"

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 21:08 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Tom: Well I am one of those odd guys I guess. I love a challenge and the excitement of getting it done and when it is finished I am ready for something else.ha
One time I built a big camper on a 1 ton Ford truck.It was really neat.I bought the old truck and re modeled it and then built the camper on it.I t really modern  and looked like a factory job however after close inspection you could tell it was home made.I will probably not sell but I would like to do a 38 to 41 footer as I have always liked big Boats. I am retired and have time and some tools but have to work outside and it is hot and the sun burns me bad! I take blood thinners and am fair complected.So I cook very fast!!

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 26 2008 at 21:15 | IP Logged Quote floater251

cat, GREAT video! sounded like $50 worth the fuel!!!! the family looked like they loved it! keep it up!

bill, i cant believe thats carpet. was it stiff like carpet? rubber backed? that looks awsome!

floater

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 27 2008 at 09:30 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Now that's what I'm talkin aboutCRANKIN THOSE SECONDARIES!!!!!that was awesome tom.she sounds really nice and cruises very well!!I have got to do the video thing..enjoying the interior talk,thanks for the advice roy.It's gonna get cooler soon and the work will commence.I hope it turns out as good as yours and the others I'll post before and after pix.

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 27 2008 at 12:16 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Tom: I got the glue from a trim shop here in town.It is the glue that can be sp rayed on with a old paint sprayer and it thins and clean up with Laquer thinner.THe carpet I got was 6 foot wide and we installed 1/2 and put the seam in the middle.WE measured and chalked a line to go by and started from that.The glue smells strong and is flamable but us rednecks don't mind that.ha Get Her Done!!My biggest problem is my age ,running out of time as I am 73 and hope to last a few more years.

The glue dries fast and really holds,it won't fall down.I will send you the name of the glue...See Ya,Bill

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 27 2008 at 12:20 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hey Floater and Tom: Send me your address and I will send you a small sample of the carpet and name of the glue.Once you see the carpet you will say I have seen that type before maybe.My Email<wsmith72@comcast.net>

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 27 2008 at 13:02 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hi, gang. Sounds like everyone's projects are going well. Bill, just a word of caution, and you may already know this, lacquer thinner and acetone are easily absorbed through the skin, so be careful, wear laytex or nitril gloves. There was a time (when I was young and stupid) that I would wash my hands with this stuff. Maybe that explains a lot. Now I am very cautious. Capt. H

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 27 2008 at 18:47 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Capt Heavy: Thanks for the advise.I am done with it for a while sometimes I wore gloves and sometimes not. I to have washed  up with acetone many times. I guess everyone is getting ready for a haul out and do some maintiance work.I am going  to launch right after Labor Day and I sure will let every know how it goes.Ha Cross your fingers and knock on wood!!

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 27 2008 at 20:14 | IP Logged Quote floater251

swannebill, i sent you my adress.

trying to get hold of the marina, no answer. news said there was a lot of waterspouts on lake wateree. lots of damage. all from tropical storm whats his name. they had to open the dam, the catawba river system pretty much ends at lake wateree, and lake norman and wylie had over 10 inches of rain in the past 24 hrs. both upstream from  wateree. found out the owners of the marina get their truck serviced at our dealership and will be there thursday! time for some suckin up! maybe a discounted rate. worth a try!.  going to visit the floater this weekend, monster in law wants to go for a ride. befoer we set sail, i will clean the transmission to look for the leak. i do want to top off the fluid, so....what kind of fluid does it take? dextron?

thanks! floater.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 28 2008 at 12:42 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Floater, speaking of waterspouts, we saw 2 last saturday while fising about 10 miles offshore. One was long and very thin, like a rope hanging from a cloud about 2 miles from us. The other was really cool, you could see the water swirling around on the surface but there was no funnel connecting it to the cloud, just a "stub"  of a funnel hanging down from the cloud. Your trans most likely uses dexron fluid. H.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 29 2008 at 10:43 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hello all C.C. owners. Hope every one has a well deserved labor day weekend. Don't forget to fly the flag. Looks like a decent weekend down here in S.E. Florida, other than the usual afternoon t-storms. Boatman, looks ok on your side too. You'll have to keep an eye on Gustave. The track keeps moving west. Have any of you guys ever checked out hte Weatherunderground website? Lots of good info, great tropical storm computer tracks etc. Local weather radar can show lightning strikes, storm cell tracks, altitude, direction and more. Anyway, I plan on doing a little front window sealing job on Mystic Diver on saturday and not much else. Fishing, boating, beer drinkin' and bikini watchin' the rest of the weekend. This summer flew by. Have a great labor day weekend and be safe. Is it beerthirty yet? It's 5 oclock somewhere. Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 29 2008 at 10:46 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Floater,run the engine to operating temp first,this allows the trans fluid to expand and circulate thru the cooling system,thenshut down and check fluid level,add as needed then run boat.look for wet spots. I have a small leak on my starboad trans as well and will be looking for it as soon as these tropical distubances are clear of fla.guess we are in for a possible double whammy things are heating up around here..went for a cruise yesterday and on the marco river,ran at 4500 rpms for the length of the river,about five miles,sally ran really nice,gps speed was 32.9 mph,fuel flows read 21 gals per hour times two,won't be doing that very often,but she held together and performed very well!!another thing about the trans fluid being low you will get a rapid fluctuation on the tachometer that's how i discovered I had a leak.the tach was going crazy and the engine at 2800 r's was going up and down like a yoyo.didn't see any damage but refilled and all was fine.it's a really good thing to check all fluid levels before cruising,especially on these older boats.good luck on finding the leak

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 29 2008 at 10:50 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Cap h all ok here,watch that sob on your side same path as andrew see lake got two feet of water,maybe more on the way?Hey enjoy the weekend,the first mate and I will probably catch a sunset or two heheheheh tight line buddy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 29 2008 at 13:02 | IP Logged Quote floater251

the marina finally called. they just got their phone service back up. everything flooded. parking lot, ships store, but...all the boats in wet storage are ok!!! the dam was opened to get the water level down. now at 6inches above full pond. i dont think i want to go into the main river, afraid of trash from the bottom stirred up from the strong current. average less than 50 f deep. screw it, in insured. yall have a fun and safe week end!

heavy, boatman, yallbe carefull, im sure the sea is not very friendly right now.

floater

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: August 29 2008 at 15:00 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Have a great weeked everyone...we'll be going out for cruises and spending some time on Fire Island, should be fun and relaxing.

Hey Boatmann, nice job running wide open.  To compare with my single screw 280, I am now at 26MPH (bottom may be a bit fouled) but in the beginning of the season I was at 28MPH at WOT.  I wonder how much less fuel I am using than you... however the single motor has to work harder to get up to and maintain any given speed.

Tom

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: August 29 2008 at 15:39 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

That's one good lookin' cat. It's officially beerthirty. Have a good weekend ya'll. Capt. heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: August 30 2008 at 17:48 | IP Logged Quote floater251

SwanneeBill, got the package this am, you are right. i have seen this stuff a hundred times. looks like it will be very easy to work with. neat stuff. heavy weight but very flexable. that is a project i will do this fall. while the old rats nest is out, i need to reseal the windows and put fresh track runners in from chrisparts.com.

went out to the floater today. the parking lot and walks were still onder 1 foot of water. we dredged our way to the boat. no damage at all, bilge pumps worked perfect!took her out for a run, ran like a charm, strong. but there was alot of debris floating. a fiew docks under water and a fiew flooded homes. the levels should be to normal in about 1 week.

capt Heavy, did find the tranny leak. cleaned it off and it started to puddle around the shifter top center of trans. topped fluid. will change seals this winter.

arguing with the mrs. want to bring floater home, she thinks it wont fit in the yard. we had it at my friends last winter, but i want it next to my shop. she said she doesnt want to look out the window at the boat all winter. i told her i will decorate it for christmas. shes not talking to me right now.

well, enjoy the holiday! have fun, be safe!

thanks all, floater!

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: August 30 2008 at 20:42 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Floater: Very happy to hear Floater was doing well after all the rain,etc.
That carpet  is neat stuff and tough and it comes in 6ft width.Please see that Nauti-Cat gets a copy of the glue label.Have a Big Labor Day,Bill

]
] ]
191 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version