View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 08 2012 at 15:29 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Flybridge- I'd see if you could cut between the hatches also but before you do so you could get slightly smaller tanks to fit in there if you measure a few times and cut once-or maybe even not at all. One thing I recommend is make a mock-up tank out of cheap plywood or cardboard. We do that when designing some of the trucks we work on so we know what size tank to get, then we can also take the measurements, play around with size and get the right ballast and gallons needed. A little planning goes a long way before you cut anything though. I'd look into cutting out the old tanks in pieces before cutting the floor. I bet you could find decent size tanks to get in place. Also remember 90% of replacement tanks you will be looking at will be rectangular welded aluminum tanks. Keep in mind where you want your sending units and if your new tanks will have baffles in place. The problem I see with cutting the liner out is that you will have to take the top plates off and section them somewhere at the rear of the cabin to hide the seam. It is doable but then you get into messing with the rub rail and then a different painted finish on the outside of the boat. I guess if you are patching the superstructure and you are this far into it whats a little more cutting though!

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY
Back to Top Printable version View Berg's Profile Search for other posts by Berg

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: February 08 2012 at 17:38 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Captains:   Not cut deck yet.  Still thinking.  I do appreciate ALL the input you fellows are given me!!  

I checked on prices for a NEW aluminum non-custom tank.  A marine fuel tank builder in Ocala, Fl. wants $1,000 for a 100 gallon tank.  He WILL NOT build a round tank. 

I have delayed doing any cutting on deck, mainly because, What type of replacement tank I DO want to go back in bilge?  I don't know yet, so staying pat, for now. 

If I do cut deck, I THINK the best NEW semi-permanent "Hatch", would be Beam to Beam.  I could afix  aluminum channel , or appropriate marine wood, covering 2 or more  feet BEYOND the Fore and aft cuts.  And then drill for BOLTS to fasten.

A guy here near my house has a NEW never in boat, 100 gallon "Plastic" (off-Red color) angled-shaped to form a flat  bottom-tank.  He wants $150 for tank.  My online research reveals, "Plastic' aka Poly, tanks allow fumes to pass through tank, and emit gas-smell into tank location, and other  spaces. I  do not know for certain if this is information is true nor accurate.   However, I REALLY want a "original" CC shape Aluminium though!! Still researching.

I checked into removing entire aft deck.  cannot do!  I CAN remove screws UNDER the walkway around 3 sides, but cannot raise deck up, due to walkway extends OVER deck by at least 8 inches on the 3 sides.  And cannot "slide" towards Forward, due to cabin supports (2) Upright aluminum beams.  DARN!!   Photo below displaying Port side.  The other sides are the same as in photo.  

One last thought.  Our "Sister" Chris Craft Forum, the Constellation , is losing members.  If any of you here on the Catalina forum, that has been following the Constellation Forum, you know why.  Truly, SAD!!   I am so thankful, I can consider you all here,... on the Catalina Forum, Friends!!   

More on fuel tank situation later.  I  DO APPRECIATE, and THANK YOU... ALL, for help! Fly Bridge.      

Edited by Fly Bridge on February 08 2012 at 18:54

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 08 2012 at 18:19 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hewy Fly Bridge:

I have had several tanks made by this company and they are great to do business with so you might want to give them a call:

EZELL INDUSTR ies,Inc

15030 Beach Road

Pery,Fla 32348

Phone#850-578-2558

They are manufactuers for several boat companys as well as individuals.Good Luck,Bill Smith

Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: February 08 2012 at 19:14 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Captains:  Could not Post the 3rd photo on same Post.  So I am Posting it here.

Also, SERVER, NOT WORKING PROPERLY.

Cap.'n  Suwanneered:   Thank you, for the Perry, Florida tank company!!  Don't know WHEN I can afford tank., but will contact them!!  Thank you!! 

Edited by Fly Bridge on February 08 2012 at 19:43

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 08 2012 at 22:17 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Mark,

Always great to revisit your work! Thanks for putting up the link. You're an inspiration to the forum. 

Berg,

Well Said! Making up mockups as part of the process is a great idea!! The old 'measure twice, cut once' thing really applies. Great post. 

Fly Bridge,

As in the past, your thoughtful approach will make for an awesome result. Can't wait to see how this pans out. You are blazing a trail others will follow! The creative thought going into this is alone, worth the read! Photos make all the difference.

To expand on Berg's idea: Make the mock-up(s)  easily/quickly assemblable below decks 1st. At some point the question of trimming or building up the stringers will come into play. Situational awarness as to the effect modifications to the stringers is key- maybe visit a boatyard and pick an experts brain with bribes of beer and ego stroking...adoration always works with an expert. I learned a lot about what to do and what not to do.  When I was doing a similar sizing thing, I first used sissors and butcher paper to get in the ball park, then progressively firmer material- soft cardboard, then heavier coarboard, then lite plywood. All over a period of a week or two to let the thing simmer a bit.  Even just partial (height/width only- two dimentional) mockups are very useful. Then, when when you're sneaking up on what it'll look like, incorporate procedures for tank ingress from on-deck. If the tanks are identicle (and who says they have to be?), perhaps one mockup is enough to establish placement? Being careful to block out install areas so the limited space issue is not overlooked from not making up two mockups...

The fill ports up to a certain point anyway, will become self evedent as to configuration/placement once you have an idea of how the tanks are to be set.    

Hav'nt followed the Constillation thread recently- some of what I have read in the past was valuable stuff...just no time to stay current. The Catalina group is closer to the road (or waterway) I'm following. Tha Catalina thread seems to have held up well and for that I'm very thankful...encourages me to think the internet is, after all- a good thing. After all this time, the thread is as relevent as ever- always a good read and educational.  I have enjoyed and learned to appreciate the dynamic of personalities and what they bring to the many subjects at hand in such a real way. 

best, Roy (diver)  

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: February 08 2012 at 22:19 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

What kind of wood did you use for the brightwork? I used teak plywood for all of the construction

Does it match the teak already in the cabin? No, but it doesn't matter.  I probably will eventually re-doo everything.

Did you paint the cabinet bases in the galley? No, I used teak veneer and covered the original cabinets.  Where do you see paint? 

What material did you use for the countertops? Is it
formica? I used some stuff I got at Home Depot.  This was the very first attempt at counter top re-surfacing.

How did you get the walls in the head out to work on /
replace them? I had to disassemble everything.  I had to completely undo the circut panel.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
http://www.superiordaycruises.com
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: February 08 2012 at 22:31 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Dan,

Have you given thought to fuel tanks from a semi?  Schneider makes round fuel tanks that are 125 or 150 gallon.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: February 09 2012 at 00:55 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Cap'n Mark:  Yes I have thought about truck fuel tanks.  Not sure if cost is less than Marine tanks.   Also I am unsure if the truck tanks would be Approved for Marine use.  I Thought underdeck tanks must have a Certification Plate permanently affixed on tank, and approved by USCG.  Thanks you for info.  I might be able to see if there are undamaged tanks in truck salvage yard, and see what new tanks cost, at truck dealership.

Will check on that.

Fly Bridge.

Edited by Fly Bridge on February 09 2012 at 01:04

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 09 2012 at 08:34 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

YES FLY YOU ARE CORRECT BOAT FUEL TANKS HAVE TO HAVE AN APPROVAL PLATE ATTACHED TO THE TANK TRUCK TANKS WILL NOT DO--THE MAIN REASON??BOAT TANKS ARE PRESSURE TESTED TO STANDARDS-AFTER ALL THEY ARE BURIED BELOW THE DECK--FORGOT ABOUT CAPN MARKS INTERIOR ANOTHER WELL DONE RETROFIT!!CABIN MAKEOVERS ARE ONLY LIMITED TO OUR IMAGINATIONS!!

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: February 09 2012 at 23:35 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang. Jim HH3 glad to hear everything is OK. Capt. Mark, Nice job on the galley, I like the microwave install.

JimHH.  Bonnie and I took a ride out to the Island superbowl sunday. We had it all to ourselves. Not even on a weekday is it that deserted. Nice!. Nite,all, H.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 11 2012 at 15:26 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

AHHHH AN ISLAND ALL TO ONES SELF HOW SWEETNOW CAP H. IF I COULD GET RID OF A CONSTANT "SEA FOG" SITUATION OVER HERE I COULD GO FOR A RIDE--IT HAS BEEN BLOWING IN OFF THE GULF FOR 5 DAYS AND IT IS CHILLY--NOW THIS HEAVY COLD FRONT IS VERY WINDY WITH TEMPS IN THE UPPER 60'S THAT'S OK UP NORTH BUT GO AWAY FROM FLA!!OH WELL AT LEAST IT WILL BLOW THE FOG AWAY GOTTA BE GOOD IN EVERYTHING--

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: February 11 2012 at 23:56 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Roger, that, Boatman. Had to move the Boss's boat from Stuart to his home in Jupiter, rained the whole way. Yuk! Beats snow. Wind blowin' 20-25 today. I need to bend a rod! going to warm up monday-tuesday or so they say. I'm sure Diver could tell you a thing or 2 about fog. At least it's sunny here and everything is still green. I may just cut the grass tomorrow!. Nite, Y'all, H.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: February 12 2012 at 23:20 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hello, all! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! It is cold in SE Florida. Not Wisconsin cold, but too cold for Capt. H!! Been too busy to go boating anyway. Fridge died on Mystic Diver. Since we don't hang on the hook overnight anymore, I bought an AC only fridge/freezer from Target for $120.00. Fits perfect, secured it with a SS Steel L-bracket and a couple of screws. Got cold beer again!

Jim HH, don't know about you, but I'm ready for summer!

Nite, All, H.

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: February 16 2012 at 12:34 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Been quiet on the forum. 

I looked at a 35' Chris Craft sail boat yesterday.  It's a 1974 and the model is Caribbean.  It has a 80 hp diesel and a very large and heavy keel.  Nice looking boat.  Dida bit of research and found that a fellow by the name of Shields was the designer.  He used CC because of the reputation of having luxurey and functionability. 

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 19 2012 at 10:12 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

FINALLY GOT TO CHECK OUT MY NEW CONVERTIBLE TOP FLAPS YESTERDAY--WORK REALLY WELL AND ONLY HAD A VERY SMALL INCIDENT WITH THE "STATION WAGON EFFECT"-AT IDLE SPEED WIND COMING TO THE AFT BEAM--AT IDLE AND FULL THROTTLE THE BREEZE WAS ABOUT THE SAME AND IT NEVER GOT "HOT" UNDER THE TOP I HIGHLY RECCOMEND THIS MODIFICATION IF YOU ARE PLAGUED BY A HOT HELM--WENT TO THE GOODLAND CANCER BOAT PARADE A REAL HOOT!! BUT BLEW THE STBD ENGINES ALT/CIRCULATING PUMPS BELT NOW AM GONNA HAVE TO GET DOWN AND REMOVE THE RAW WATER PUMP BELT FIRST IN ORDER TO CHANGE THE OTHER BELT--HOPE IT WASN'T CAUSED BY THE CIRC PUMP BEING BAD-ALTHOUGH I HAD ENG TEMPS RIGHT WHERE THEY BELONGED--OTHER THAN THAT BOAT RAN REALLY FINE

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 19 2012 at 10:15 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

GOODLAND BOAT PARADE

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: February 19 2012 at 10:26 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

BOATMAN:    I started-up my engine yesterday, but the belt was not turning, and squealing loudly.  I figured-out, it was the raw water (sea-water)  pump.  No water was coming out from exhaust.  Eventually engine was running, but I shut it down after that I seen what was happening. 

I use a 5 gallon bucket, with a garden hose with running-water to keep bucket filled with freash water.  Perhaps that set-up may let not ENOUGH water into cooling system  a few times, and I caused impeller to go bad?    I have BOTH, a CLOSED and SEA-WATER cooling system.

My question is, could a Raw Water pump, freeze-up that quickly?  It was a month, since last start-up. Could it be a impeller, or a bearing?

Fly Bridge.   Dan

Edited by Fly Bridge on February 19 2012 at 10:34

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 19 2012 at 11:00 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Dan,

Even a new raw water pump has enough friction to make turning by hand a chore.  If the pump has'nt been serviced since purchase, you may need go thru it.  Check the hull thru valve is open. If the belt tension is ok and it's still squeeling, I nominate a worn pump. Having the boat on the hard and using pressurized water may complicate pump operation? Maybe compare with the other engine?  The only way I can think of eliminating the bearings is to remove the impellor and then checking bearing action- which means at a minimum, new gaskets. Water flow is critical to keeping the pump operation ok. It will be ok for only say, a minute or two(?) before the impellor takes damage.   

best, Roy

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: February 19 2012 at 11:19 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

DIVER:   Ok, I'll pull the  Raw Water pump.  The other engine is removed from bilge.  I figured my 5 gallon bucket set-up was not allowing  enough water  getting to pump, and caused it to freeze-up.   I guess I learned a lesson, the hard-way!!   I appreciate the help, Roy!!   

Pulling the pump, is not difficult on my model. 

Fly Bridge      Dan

Edited by Fly Bridge on February 19 2012 at 14:05

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 19 2012 at 12:07 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Dan,

Consider dealing with the engines as a seperate project when in the water. There are certainly many things to be done on propulsion prior to splashing, like getting the other engine preped. I suggest holding on engine startup till splash time.   

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: February 19 2012 at 12:58 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

DIVER and BOATMAN.  Here is a few photos of my starbd. Raw Water pump removed from engine and taken apart.

Impeller is shredded.  I will check bearings also.   Will purchase re-build kit.

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: February 19 2012 at 17:25 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Dan, those pieces are now in your cooling system.  A real common problem for trans coolers is having this stuff plugging the sytem. 

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: February 19 2012 at 18:21 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

CAPTAIN MARK:  Thank you for bringing this to my attention!!  I counted the "Fins", and got lucky!!   All the pieces are accounted for.  There are 7 "Fins" on the impeller.  All fins were broke off in one piece except one that did not break-off.   The broke-off pieces were wedged in the housing, when I took pump apart.

Bearing is ok, no noise or looseness.  Shaft is ok.

Fly Bridge      Dan

Edited by Fly Bridge on February 19 2012 at 18:55

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: February 19 2012 at 22:00 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Hello all, Hope you all had a great weekend . Dan glad you got the motor started. remember must have a lot of water going to the motor . if not that impeller is done. Good luck pal.

Me , my little girl and my very pregnant wife took out the HHIII yesterday aftermoon for a nice dinner cruise. Boat is running great! Nice coming home at night using ALL my LED lights! Volt gauges were perfect aong with the new motor. Have to do my taxes she needs a bottom job and I want to do all the risers and manafolds too . Then I think she will be perfect for anther mouth or two lol. She is running perfect now . Great ride yesterday . Capt H went by the island just two boats there . Hope you and the mate are well hope to see you soon.

ohhh yea I still need to do my toilet, come on uncle sam we need a big return!!!!!!!! Have a great week Caps

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: February 19 2012 at 22:12 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Captin Mark  Just checked out your pictures again, I think you should be called captin wizard. Great work. remember if you are ever in the florida area your always welcome to a boat ride. If work ever slows up for you. I have no problem sending the HHIII to your shop for the winter! I am sure HHIII would love to spend time with her uncle mark .

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: February 19 2012 at 23:19 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hello, All. Sounds like a lotta great projects going on. I've got to get busy on Mystic Diver soon. Needs some TLC and some new shaft zincs.

Jim HH and Sunshine, Bonnie says Hi, Glad to hear all is OK.

Took a bunch of guys fishing this past friday. Trolled for dolphin for 5 hours. NOTHING!! These guys were visiting from the gulf coast, Punta Gorda area. I HAD TO put them on some fish. Switched to bottom fishing at one of my semi- secret spots and had non stop black sea bass action. Only problem, sea bass is out of season. threw all back. Still caught nice trigger fish, porgies and lane snappers to take home. All were happy and want to go again!Clap. Nite, All, H.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 20 2012 at 07:50 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Dan,

It occurs to me to suggest that you see if the original round fuel tanks accomidated good access to the shaft logs, rudder cabling, shaft struts and electricals. Will a different tank shape change that? With the tanks out, there's the opportunity to identify and improve on CC's production cost cutting measures they may have done. I created small access hatches for some of these assemblies. 

Roy 

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: February 20 2012 at 08:41 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Jim, someday I'm going take you up on your offer when I'm in Florida.  I used to spend a good amount of time down there.  Not much the last 5 years.  Thanks for the compliments on the Rob Roy.  Mostly just trial and error for me.  I get an idea and somehow make it work.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 20 2012 at 09:21 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

FLY AND ALL MY BELT IS THE ONE TO THE CIRCULATING PUMP THE RAW WATER PUMP IS OK--I WISH I COULD COME UP WITH A BETTER WAY TO PUMP WATER TO THE ENG AND ASSCOCIATED COMPONENTS THAN THE ONES OUR BABIES USE--AN ELECT TYPE PUMP WOULD BE NICE--THEN THE ONLY BELT NEEDED WOULD BE FOR THE ALTERNATOR--THE ELECTRIC PUMP COULD HAVE A PRESSURE REGULATOR WITH IT THUS ELIMINATING A LOT OF BACK PRESSURE--HMMMMM NOW I'M THINKIN---ANY THOUGHTS???? 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 20 2012 at 09:23 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

FLY --HOW ABOUT A STRAINER DOWNSTREAM OF THE PUMP TO CATCH THE IMPELLAR BITS WHEN THEY BREAK OFF???

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: February 20 2012 at 11:19 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Pete, I don't think the electric pump would work so well.  It need to be quite a hefty pump to keep with the water demands of that system.  Size wise it would be more than double of what is on the engines now. 

I also read some time back about you salty's flushing out your engines with a garden hose and somehow water can get backed up in the manifolds to the cylinder heads.  I'm not sure how that would happen, but in any case if the electric pump were left on without the engien running then you would have a constant flow of water running through the cooling system.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 20 2012 at 17:05 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

MARK THAT IS RIGHT THE WHOLE SYSTEM WOULD HAVE TO BE RE-PLUMBED TO DO THE ELECT THING-- IF YOU LEAVE THE FRESH WATER RUNNING WITHOUT THE ENG RUNNING DURING FLUSHING THE WATER MAKES ITS WAY THRU AND ENDS UP OVER-FLOWING THRU THE EXHAUST SYSTEM AND INTO THE ENGINE NOT GOOD--THE ENGINE EXHAUST IS WHAT "PUSHES" THE WATER OUT THE END--THE ELECT PUMP WOULD NEED TO BE TIED INTO THE IGNITION SWITCH SO THAT WOULD NOT HAPPEN--ENG ON/PUMP ON--ENG OFF/PUMP OFF-- 

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 20 2012 at 21:42 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 20 2012 at 22:08 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Gentlemen,

The pics above are an interesting look into the future. The larger, gray starter is the unit I'm replacing with the new, black starter. The supplier states this unit (new, not a rebuild, made in China) is a direct replacment....I'm still adjusting to the concept. The new unit's gear and mating surfaces appear identicle, It's weight is 1/2 of the old unit and as you can see, it's a lot smaller. Also it cost 1/2 the price of even a older reman unit.  Apparently, this is an example of the new hi-effincientcy DC motors that have come out of late. It's the 1st I've seen of the type. Has anyone any experience with this new parts technology? Odvously, someone has rethought the whole starter thing, perhaps the same as engines in general have evolved in the last 30 years.

I'm sceptical, and a little fearful, but game to put it in and see.  Another thing is that it will be a snap to install, it doesn't weigh anything -knock on wood.  The front housing is cast-and-turned alunimum. The drive motor is no larger than some wiper motors I've seen- amazing. Our mechanic tells me that looks are deceiving and that it will work fine. ooook..... 

best, Roy 

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: February 20 2012 at 22:57 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

DIVER:  I have LOTS OF ROOM to access shaft/logs, Forward of Fuel Tanks.     However, Aft of Fuel Tanks for  Rudder repair, the Rudder space has  JUST enough space for my 5'5" and 122 lb. body frame.  TIGHT, but is accessable.   I'll take photos, in a day or two of spaces.

DIVER:   Hope the new type of starter motor from China, has the workmanship and design to handle the job. 

I too, have reservation to longevity and workmanship of China motor, but ALL products made and from China.    My truck driving experience with a China made trailer pin-lock, was a disaster!  

I used the pin-lock twice.  The 2nd time it would not unlock.  I took a small hammer, and lightly tapped above the key, while turning the key.  All of a sudden the entire tumbler with key still in key-way , fell-out of pin-lock.  Released the pin, with a flat-blade screw driver.  Turned pin-lock upside-down, look inside where tumbler was, noticed a wad of paper.  dug paper out, and unfurled  the accordion -folded paper.  .  The CHINESE writing characters I could NOT read!! 

I reckon the purpose of paper in the tumbler, was to take-up extra space, so tumbler would fit.

With my UTMOST SINCERE hope ......is,... you have better luck than I did!!  

Diver, you once said of me, "...Blazing a trail".  You my intrepid friend, are a true and CONSUMATE  EXPOLRER!!  I bid  you .."fair thee well,".... on your industrious journey!!

Dan    (Fly Bridge)

Edited by Fly Bridge on February 20 2012 at 23:15

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: February 20 2012 at 23:15 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hello, All. Diver, keep us in the loop with this new starter swap. The small size would certainly make the install much easier. Just might allow better access to other parts. I just wonder if there are any U.S. manufactuers making similar parts.

With gas prices going thru the roof, I think there will be a lot more dock parties this year, at least at my marina. Will be cheaper to buy bluefin tuna than to go out and try to catch a dolphin or snapper. Nite, All, H.

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: February 21 2012 at 03:25 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Diver, I had my altenators and starters done by a local machine shop here. Machine shops are a rare find these days and this guy is old shcool. He didn't seem to have a problem finding the parts, and I did order a new altenator to keep on board as a back up and it was identical to OEM

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: February 21 2012 at 03:28 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

I have a hard time understanding how the nose and shaft are eliminated.  That drive gear has uugodly amounts or torque for cranking that big ol' USofA 350 CI.  Good grief!!

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:08 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

VERY INTERESTING DIVER I FOR ONE WOULD WELCOME THE CHANGE AS I ALREADY HAVE JUMPED TO THE FUTURE WITH MY ALL ALUMINUM EXHAUST MANIFOLDS AND RISERS THEY ARE 5 YEARS OLD AND GOING STRONG

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:45 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

It's all in the profit.  Produce a product that costs less and performs the same.  I hope it works well for you Roy.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

]
] ]
191 Pages « 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version