View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Formula/Thunderbird
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Formula/Thunderbird
Subject Topic: Iím a newbe Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
pcdoc
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 25 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote pcdoc

I'm new to the Thunderbird family as I have just aquired a rather used (but seems to have been treated well) 23 foot Iriquios. I have found almost no info on her and I am planning to restore her to her original beauty. My wife ( and First Mate for 35 years will be retiring somewhat in the next few years and want to do some cruising. I do have a background on the seas as I spent 22 1/2 years in the US Navy Submarine Service, so crusing of a different sort I have done. Any help or info on my new "baby" will be much appreciated. This is what I know so far...... As I said, she is a 23 (or 24 ') 1968 Thunderbird Iriquios, Mercruiser Commander with an in-line GM six (most likely Chevy 250) 160 HP. She also has a "porcelain Potty". The hull appears solid but I am inspectig it as I go. The engine is new (never been in water) but is frozen due to setting for four years with no TLC. I think it will be ok once it is broken loose and I can see what if any damage. Well, I have to go for now but I will be posting pictures as the project proceeds, fair winds and following seas to all.   Pcdoc
Back to Top Printable version View pcdoc's Profile Search for other posts by pcdoc

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 29 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

Good luck with it, and post the pictures.

Back to Top Printable version View Cuda's Profile Search for other posts by Cuda

Dick_F233
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 29 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Dick_F233

Hey pcdoc,

Here's an interesting mini-bio of the guy that designed your boat.

http://www.ultimate.com/omc-boats/cole.html

Oh Kay - 1972 Thunderbird Formula F233

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 15:55
Back to Top Printable version View Dick_F233's Profile Search for other posts by Dick_F233

pcdoc
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 30 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote pcdoc

Hi Dick_f233, That was real interesting. I had found out about the "Flipper Boat" in some of my research but had not read the article you sent me. I will be uploading the "before" pictures soon and then.... and then... and then.. I hope to shorly upload the procedure pictures. I am new to the recreational boat scene but I have been around and on the water much of my adult life and can hardly wait to start cruising. I do like restoring old equipment to its former glory, (old cars and such) and I am looking forward to having this "Classic" back on the water. I hope to see ya out there at some point. I am originally from Beeville, Tx, but we moved when I joined the Navy. I have spent many a night on Padre down from Port Aransas, and if you have been in Ingleside awhile, I was a volunteer fireman in Beeville and when "Celia" came a callin in 71 or 72. I delivered emergency supplies to the Ingleside hospital  (anti venom and Diesel fuel) and VFW while there were still no lights and the trains were still in the middle of the road where US 181 turns to got to Gregory-Portland. Those were the days...

Dick_F233
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 31 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Dick_F233

Hey pcdoc,

I was in the U.S. Navy, and stationed at N.A.S. Corpus Christi in 1963, '64, and '65. At the end of my tour, I just stayed here and went to work for IBM.

I too, was here for Celia.  She made a believer of me.  Until Celia, hurricanes were an excuse for a party.  Now they are a reason to grab my insurance policies and boogie North.

Port Aransas remains as one of my frequent hangouts.  I spent a good bit of yesterday there.

We're looking forward to seeing photos of your restoration.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 15:55
Back to Top Printable version View Dick_F233's Profile Search for other posts by Dick_F233

pcdoc
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 01 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote pcdoc

Hey Shipmate, Dick_F233,

Great to have a Navy man, I retired 8 years ago with 22 and some as a "Chief". I was in Fire control, but my father in law was in Corpus from 60 to 63. He was Air Traffic Control and spent most of his career in westpac. ( name Johnny Cannon, I got his greatlooking oldest daughter) Looking forward to keeping in touch. Pictures should be posted next week ( The Before)

Dick_F233
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 01 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Dick_F233

pcdoc wrote:

my father in law was in Corpus from 60 to 63. He was Air Traffic Control

What a coincidence, I may have met him.  In 1963 I was attached to NASCC Ground Electronics, and I worked in the Operations hangar that year.  I spent a great deal of time in RATCC and in the control tower.

Later, I took over the ground based TACAN, VOR, and Outer Marker.

Small world!

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 15:56

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

What is the year of the hull? 

Trailer included?

Trim tabs?

What extra stuff will it need to serve your purposes of use?

How is the bottom paint?  How's the floor feel...solid?

Do you see any issues?

It sounds high but asking price is usually different than selling price.

A proper survey may be the best assurance of gettin' the truth ...but I didn't get one myself.

(Fintage & Dick_F233 can probably assist with better advice instead of asking questions like I did)

BTW:  Welcome on!

Back to Top Printable version View 233 Double E's Profile Search for other posts by 233 Double E

danny1037
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote danny1037

I'm considering buying an older Formula 23 foot center console with an outboard bracket.  Does any one have any good or bad comments about this boat ?  The one I'm looking at has a 1998 250 yamaha and a 25hp kicker and it's been completly restored.  The boat looks great and the owner is asking $15,000.
Back to Top Printable version View danny1037's Profile Search for other posts by danny1037

submarinesailor
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 04 2008 at 12:15 | IP Logged Quote submarinesailor

Dick_f233 I'm finally back and I am starting the restore on my 68 Iroquios. I used pcdoc before on this thread but I didn't know if it was still active. Hope to hear from you

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version