View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Formula/Thunderbird
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Formula/Thunderbird
Subject Topic: Formula/Thunderbird Introductory Post Post ReplyPost New Topic
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Bora Bora Bound
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 29 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Bora Bora Bound

233 Double E & F 255,

Thanx for the feedback.  My boat does say Freedom Cruiser (very faded) on the back - I thought that may have been its name or possibly the boat had been used for cruises by an out fit by that name!  It also has a decal of an Irish flag, though I seriously doubt that it was ever taken there.  Would be quite a trip!

233 Double E,

No, I'm not in Talladega, I'm in Minnesota.  I'm a major NASCAR fan and Talladega was the first race I attended back in '96 - hence the nickname Talladega Tommy.  No ocean at all here, but Lake Superior is huge.  Also, the St Croix and Mississippi rivers are big enough for my size boat (and bigger - mine is a baby compared to most of the river cruisers on the Lower St. Croix)

Bora Bora

Back to Top Printable version View Bora Bora Bound's Profile Search for other posts by Bora Bora Bound

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 29 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Vey nice.  Likewise.  I grew up in Martinsville and family is still there so I get to a race every once in awhile.  (I also work for a major NASCAR team sponsor.)  A coincidence too I suppose, that I look a bit like J. Gordon.

So the motor in yours...is it the original with a Rochester quadra-jet carb?

Back to Top Printable version View 233 Double E's Profile Search for other posts by 233 Double E

makksumm
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 01 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote makksumm

I hope one of you guys can help me...  I'm going to be ordering my trailer this coming week, but I dont know how much these tanks (f233) weigh. 

Thanks, Mike.

Back to Top Printable version View makksumm's Profile Search for other posts by makksumm

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 01 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

According to the 1981 borchure on the site, with twin 5.7's mine's 5100 lbs.  I only have a single.

With your setup, I can't imagine it would be more than 4800-5000lbs full of fuel and gear.) I would start there.

Congrats on reaching the next stage...

Back to Top Printable version View 233 Double E's Profile Search for other posts by 233 Double E

64Formula
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 01 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 64Formula

Well my new 1977 F233 is rocking and I must say I was a little unsure about going with an outboard bracket but in retrospect I think this is the way to go. I top out over 45 MPH and the ride is smooth as can be as well the new square footage in the stern area of the cockpit is wonderful. I now have to sell the 1964 F233 anybody know of any niche sites were people look to purchase Formulas?

Back to Top Printable version View 64Formula's Profile Search for other posts by 64Formula

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 01 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Send a note over to Fintage if he doesn't see yours in here.  He might have some suggestions though he's way up in NE.  Otherwise, I would check out the Formula thread of OSO.com and be sure to post it on the Boat US for sale sections.  You might even send a note to the factory in case there's any old school fans there who know someone...

Otherwise, I'd stick with the old fashioned method of putting sign on it and taking it to a few places locally (& listing it locally) and relying on the brand and your hard work to make it sell for you.

75F233
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 01 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 75F233

64Formula,

I'm glad someone finally put an outboard on a 233.  I'd be real inerested in more info on your installation.  What kind of bracket did you use?  What HP motor? Twins?  Did the outboard lower the position of the stern while sitting in the water?  A picture would be nice.

Thanks,
Juni

Back to Top Printable version View 75F233's Profile Search for other posts by 75F233

DOGGYDOO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 12 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote DOGGYDOO

CHECKING IN WITH MY 1968 233.  DOES  ANYONE HAVE A FORMULA FOR HORSEPOWER VERSUS WEIGHT VERSUS  PROP PITCH TO ESTIMATE HULL  SPEED  WITH MY 233/  SHE IS QUITE HEAVY AND AGAIN I AM WORKING WITH A CHEVY 292 SIX WITH WHICH I HOPE TO REACH 250  HORSEPOWER. THANKS DAVE
Back to Top Printable version View DOGGYDOO's Profile Search for other posts by DOGGYDOO

sceptre155
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 13 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote sceptre155

Just recently found this thread, nice to hear some feedback from fellow Vintage Formula owners.  I'm currently in the process of restoring a 1978 255 Castaway,  Dual 470's Mid cabin version.  Found a link here where someone posted the url for the original brochures.  Nice to get a glimpse of what the boat looked like brand spanking new.  Any advice for that anyone is willing to send my way would be Great !!

I've done some reading on the 470's.  Both of mine have the charging conversion kit installed.  The boat hasnt been in the water in 5 years.  I'm also keeping a eye out for leaking water seals etc around the camshaft.  Just got one running last weekend, seems to run like a top. no smoke etc... the 2nd jsut got started last night.  Had a decent amount of white smoke coming out of it.  Antifreeze lvl is full so I'm hoping its just moisture. (havent let it run for more then 3 minutes yet).

Both have fresh new oil etc.. I am slightly concerned about the scaling on the exhaust manifolds (right around where the ports connect to the heads). Anything i can do to test if they are ok other then monitor water lvls?

Manual's

Are they avalible anywhere?  I have the mercruiser mechanics manual, includes the outdrive.  I actually just called Formula 2 days ago asking for info and the Nice lady in the service Dept. is mailing me the water / electric schematics for the boat !!

I'd love to get my hands on a operator manual if anyone has info as to where to find one.

One last thing thats been driving me crazy. Please excuse my terminology :)

On the bottom of the hull, in about the middle of the boat there is some sort of device coming out of the hull. It looks like a half moon sorta thing with the flat side facing the front of the boat.  Not very aerodynamic heheh . On the inside I see some kind of sensor attached with two wires coming out of it.

Haven't traced them yet, but I'm guess they were for the original depth finder? is this the sonar sending unit?

Again thanks for any input and for creating this thread, I'll try and get pictures posted.

Happy Boating from Upstate NY !!

Back to Top Printable version View sceptre155's Profile Search for other posts by sceptre155

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 14 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Sceptre,

Welcome!!! We're glad to have so many different types here.  I thing you're in rare company for that craft year and configuration, but I believe F255Vanguard has the same power setup you have. 

He recently considered what to do about his 2 units and I think he decided to keep and run them.

Be sure to look through the past posts for other information and try to get a picture loaded up when you can.

Again...welcome!  We're glad you're in the family.

sceptre155
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 14 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote sceptre155

Hey 233 Double E

yeah, I'be been cruising around checking things out.  The $$$ can get outta hand quick with those 470's !!

One question I do have is How quiet are these motors suppose to be? Vibration wise etc... I think I can hear a faint knock in one of my motors after it heats up 5-10 minutes of running @ about 2000 rpm.  Boat is still outta water.  And yes I do have water connected to the fresh water intake.  Should I be super concerned? monitor it for awhile and see if it gets worse?  Not trying to be cheap, but before I drop 1000 bucks into a rebuild I'd like to get a better Idea.  I've worked on alot of cars over the years, not that that always transfers to boats.. but in anycase.   If I did need a rebuild where is a good place to order parts online?  and do any parts cross refrence to auto parts?  If I pull the motor I imagine I'd change bearings / rings all at the same time and get it over with.  One of my buddies mentioned it could be a wristpin?  I think I have too many questions lol.  I jsut hate learning things the hard way.

Back to Top Printable version View sceptre155's Profile Search for other posts by sceptre155

80FORMULA F20CL
"Seaman"

Posted: April 15 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 80FORMULA F20CL

Sceptre,

Not sure if you saw my earlier post in Feb about the 470's or not.  They do seem to make some strange noises from time to time, but I know of 4 different boats in my area, and they all seem to be the same, it doesn't seem to hurt performance, just keep an eye on Oil Pressue and Temp and you should be O-K.  And as far as rough idle, that seems to be a common complaint as well, they have a rather large bore for a 4 cyl, they use a 460 ford head and pistons which seems to account for the rough idle at times, over 1000 rpm's it should smooth out though.  There is a site I posted that is strictly dedicated to these engines, which has a tremendous amount of info that may be of helpwww.breezeworks.net

Good luck, Butch

Back to Top Printable version View 80FORMULA F20CL's Profile Search for other posts by 80FORMULA F20CL

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 15 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Butch,

Sorry about that...I realize I should have been better up on who's providing what info and pointed him to you first. 

Thanks for the posting and helping out another 'Bird.

Sceptre,

Let's get that thing in the water and take a pic or two...

Have a good weekend!

sceptre155
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 15 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote sceptre155

I'm trying !!!

I'm stoked with the warm weather we have been having.

I'm curious what those 2 470's can do on the open water :)

sceptre155
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 15 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote sceptre155

80FORMULA F20CL wrote:

Sceptre,

Not sure if you saw my earlier post in Feb about the 470's or not.  They do seem to make some strange noises from time to time, but I know of 4 different boats in my area, and they all seem to be the same, it doesn't seem to hurt performance, just keep an eye on Oil Pressue and Temp and you should be O-K.  And as far as rough idle, that seems to be a common complaint as well, they have a rather large bore for a 4 cyl, they use a 460 ford head and pistons which seems to account for the rough idle at times, over 1000 rpm's it should smooth out though.  There is a site I posted that is strictly dedicated to these engines, which has a tremendous amount of info that may be of helpwww.breezeworks.net

Good luck, Butch

Thanks for the link !!!!

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 15 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

sceptre155 wrote:

I think I can hear a faint knock in one of my motors after it heats up 5-10 minutes of running @ about 2000 rpm.  way.

Be sure the knock is from the engine, sometimes the drive or coupler will make a knocking sound.  With the boat out of the water, the knock will sound louder than normal.

Back to Top Printable version View Cuda's Profile Search for other posts by Cuda

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

I had a hinge pull loose on my 302.  I had a piece of quarter inch aluminum stock through bolted to sturdy it up.  I'll get some other kind of stock and bring up the rest of the hatch a quarter inch so the new starboard I cut for it will lie level.  Then I'll drill out holes where the nuts are.  This ought to fix it.

Back to Top Printable version View Cuda's Profile Search for other posts by Cuda

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

I bought some plastic birds from Nelems Marine.

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

I put one bird on my copy machine, took that copy to a blueprint shop and had it blown up to 20 inches tall.  I'm going to use it for a template to cut the yellow vinyl for the bird I'm having stitched on my sundeck.

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Oops, this is the pic that went with the last post.

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

I test fitted the starboard I cut out for the new sundeck.  Fits great, I'll take it to the upholsterer next week.

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Here the new Gaffrig sticks I just had installed.  I love them!  Anybody need a set of original Morse stick cheap?

Robert272
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 15 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Robert272

This email is a repost because it was not on the Formula thread. Please excuse the repost.

Hi everybody. I read a few of your emails and couldn't wait to join. I am in the process of purchasing a 1984 Formula 272 LS that needs some TLC, and been trying to get an owners manual for a while now without luck. I contacted Formula and they didn't have any available. I got the brocuhure of their website. My old boat was an open bow and that made anchoring easy, but how do you anchor this one. It's would a pain to go thru the hatch to thow it and tie it to the bow. Any suggestions?? (now you know part of the reason why I am searching for the manual). Thanks for your help.

Hi, 233 Double E- Could you please copy your original reply and repost it to this thread? Thanks                                                   Bob 

Back to Top Printable version View Robert272's Profile Search for other posts by Robert272

tpenfield
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote tpenfield

Bob:

Make sure you go over to www.offshoreonly.com - that's where most of the Formula "heads" hang out.  Lots of advice from lots of Formula owners.

Have fun with the 272.

My Web Page: http://home.comcast.net/~tpenfield/Web_Page/mpbhome.html
Back to Top Printable version View tpenfield's Profile Search for other posts by tpenfield

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Bob,
(first of all...Congrats on a fine watercraft & welcome to the board.)

Concerning anchoring, I've wrestled with that question myself a few times and am resolved to launching the anchor off the Port or Stb'd side while standing near the helm or open (stern) area.

Once the anchor is aweigh, I grab the line and crawl past the windshield (over or around, depending on my current agility & mood) and tie it off up front, under the bow rail, of course. 

I've considered buying an anchor bracket that mounts to the top side of the bow but don't really want to break up the classic & clean lines of the bow with a crappy old galvanized steel anchor just to save me some effort.

I also thought about mounitng it on the bow rail with a bracket but I just know that time and neglect will make it loosen up one day and I'll have a bouncing 13lb anchor on my 23 year old bow.

I also don't feel good about drilling holes in a boat, pretty much anywhere.

Tpenfield gave me a lesson in his earlier post that was great also in noting that he ties the line off on the bow cleat before tossing the anchor.  That seems like a good method when there's a current and room to let the anchor rode set correctly.

Do let us know if you locate a source for that manual though.

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Hey Cuda!  Was wondering what you've been up to.  I haven't had a chnace to get over to OSO in awhile.  I'll try to do so soon.

So about your latest effort...  Again, we're impressed.  Thanks for the update & ideas.

How much were those plastic birds?  I wonder if I can get the wife to epoxy one to her back....

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

I got two different size birds.  One was the old size (6 inch) and two were the new size (5 inch).  I think the 5 inch were $15 each. 

sceptre155
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 17 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote sceptre155

[QUOTE=Cuda]

I test fitted the starboard I cut out for the new sundeck.  Fits great, I'll take it to the upholsterer next week.

That looks sweet !!

couldnt talk you into email me a copy of that print could I? :)

Sceptre

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 17 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

I could send an email copy, but you'd have to get it blown up at a blueprint place.  Cost me three dollars for the blow up.

sceptre155
"Seaman Recruit"

Cuda wrote:
sceptre155 wrote:

I think I can hear a faint knock in one of my motors after it heats up 5-10 minutes of running @ about 2000 rpm.  way.

Be sure the knock is from the engine, sometimes the drive or coupler will make a knocking sound.  With the boat out of the water, the knock will sound louder than normal.

Would it still knock without the drive being engaged?

I'm taking the outdrives off next week to do the usual maintence.  I'll make sure everything is tight on that end.

I need another 6 hours in a day to get everything done. UGH

Sceptre

sceptre155
"Seaman Recruit"

Cuda wrote:
I could send an email copy, but you'd have to get it blown up at a blueprint place.  Cost me three dollars for the blow up.

That's not bad. If your willing I'll take it.

Sceptrepao@aol.com

Thanks a ton Cuda.

Sceptre

sceptre155
"Seaman Recruit"

The GF and I are aso in the process of redoing the interior, still thinking about colors. Ideas??? My boat looks just like the one in the brochure for 1978 castaway. black on white.

What kind of wood are people using to replace the factory wooden rails etc??  I'm going to try and save mine but in the event thats not possible i was just curious what everyone else was using.

Sceptre

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 17 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

Bird is sent to you Sceptre.  I redid the interior on my 1981 F 20 SC, and all but one piece of wood was rock solid.  They are made with good stuff.

80FORMULA F20CL
"Seaman"

Posted: April 18 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 80FORMULA F20CL

I am about 75% finished the cockpit interior in my 1980 F20. Some of the wood on the side panels was bad so I decided to replace it all.  I used good 1/2" exterior plywood, radiused the edges with a router, painted it with oil base exterior primer, used "T" nuts with stainless studs and nuts to fasten it back to the sides.  Covered it all with Marine vinyl with stainless staples and it is looking pretty good. 

Actually too good, some of the stuff I was going to leave alone looked like crap so I ended up doing it all. I am going to have the seats done by a local canvas guy in the same vinyl I bought, not having much luck in the sewing department, need a heavier machine.

Anyone looking for vinyl, we have a chain of JoAnn farics in Maryland (not sure where else they are) , they have Marine Vinyl for $6.99/ Yard and every three weeks or so have a 40 - 50% off coupon in the paper which makes it pretty reasonable compared to the $18 - $20 yard in the marine stores and the stuff has the same name printed on the back as what I took off which is 25 years old. I'll have to post some photo's when I'm done.

Good Luck,

Butch

Back to Top Printable version View 80FORMULA F20CL's Profile Search for other posts by 80FORMULA F20CL

sceptre155
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 18 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote sceptre155

Cuda wrote:
Bird is sent to you Sceptre.  I redid the interior on my 1981 F 20 SC, and all but one piece of wood was rock solid.  They are made with good stuff.

Thanks Cuda !

sceptre155
"Seaman Recruit"

I have a wooden rail around the back side ofthe boat, I can't for the life of me figure out what kind of wood it is.

Ideas?

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 18 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

I'd remove it.  I hate wood on a boat.

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 18 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

and bimini tops....

Cuda
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 18 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Cuda

I don't think I have any exposed wood left on my 20 SC.  I will fabricate a cabin door out of either plexiglass or starboard.

sceptre155
"Seaman Recruit"

This is the part I'm talking about.  This isnt my boat, buts its the same model minus a few things.

]
] ]
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version