Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Murray Chris Craft Constellations
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 149 » 150
Last Post By: David Ross

Posted: March 14 2014 at: 17:23

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

View Last Post 1963 Constellation 42
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:19

View Last Post 2000 Gulfstream 232
Last Post By: DanDDan
Forum: Grady-White

Posted: January 30 2014 at: 11:01

View Last Post Catalina Owners
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 191 » 192
Last Post By: Happy Hour III

Posted: January 18 2014 at: 20:11

View Last Post 50 amp question
Last Post By: Pats2nd Connie

Posted: January 13 2014 at: 17:57

View Last Post Leaving boat
Last Post By: Pats2nd Connie

Posted: January 13 2014 at: 08:17

]
] ]

Formula/Thunderbird
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Formula/Thunderbird
Subject Topic: Formula/Thunderbird Introductory Post Post ReplyPost New Topic
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
bluesfan550
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 30 2004 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote bluesfan550

yes , i weld so rebuilding the trailer was not much of a problem  everything is new on trailer so as not to have problems  plus I am an auto -boat upholsterer by trade and have built many cars  so the mechanical  and minimal upholstry was all done by me. but believe me this boat  was in great shape to begin with .the screens that went on the hatches where in theforward cabin had never been on the boat .plus two boxes of replacement parts for outdrive that had been in the boat for years ---bluesfan

Back to Top Printable version View bluesfan550's Profile Search for other posts by bluesfan550

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 03 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

I had similar luck when I found mine.

The Bimni had never been installed (sorry 'Cuda) and is in pristine condition as are the clear vinyl side curtains and same as you discovered, the screen that goes over the deck hatch.

I also pulled off the winshield wiper motor covers and cleaned them up to look like new.

I'm wondering about having an overhaul of some sort done to the trailer.  (Probably to include painting, replacing of bunks, upgrading to LEDs, and a thorough look over of the brake system.)  It's steel and though I and the original owner never put it in salt, it is showing its circa 1981 age.  I don't have any issues with it now but believe in prevention too.

I'm thinking about getting into salt water some this next sprig/summer (maybe once a month) and don't want it to disentegrate on me if minor work like painting it would have prevented it.  ...Or would I be better off looking for a replacement galvanized or aluminum unit instead? 

Back to Top Printable version View 233 Double E's Profile Search for other posts by 233 Double E

bluesfan550
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 04 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote bluesfan550

I checked about having my trailer galvanized and the price was only $ 275.00 (i spent more than that in paint) but i would have had to cut the fenders off because of  warpage from the heat  and remove axels and separate the springs so each individual piece could be done in other words if you were building a trailer from scratch you could plan all the steps but on  a remodel job ,paint was better. but if you are going to use it in salt sometimes like I do ,bolt a sacrificial zinc annode onto your trailer it will stop electrolisis from eating your trailer ----Bluesfan

Edited by bluesfan550 on 09 January 2005 at 11:32pm

Back to Top Printable version View bluesfan550's Profile Search for other posts by bluesfan550

DOGGYDOO
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 08 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote DOGGYDOO

Doggydoo here,  I  also  just  purchased  a 1968  233   as  mentioned  on  page  4  and you  guys give  me  plenty  of  enthusiam  as  I am currently  gonna  rebuild  the  straight six 292  as  well  as the  borg warner  1.52 ratio velvet drive straight inboard setup.  This boat  was  converted  from  a i/o  but the guy that  sold  me  the  boat  did a pretty  good  job.  My goal is to  get  about 45mph out  of this sixbanger.  I would certainly  appreciate  any  tips. Thanks  in  advance  ..   Dave
Back to Top Printable version View DOGGYDOO's Profile Search for other posts by DOGGYDOO

bjm0918
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 24 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote bjm0918

Hi everybody...  New to the forum 

I'm in the process of restoring a '73  23'3 center consule.  Inside being  Awl-griped right now..  completely gutted everything, will be starting out with a brand new canvas to work from. All soft decking and fuel tank to be replaced. Even removed the windshield and had it polished and re-anodized..

Was wondering what i/o power options have worked well??? Currently I am planning to put the Mercruiser 350 EFI horizon with a Bravo III outdrive(300hp at props)???.. Best prop selection???

wolud appreciate any advice...thanks

Back to Top Printable version View bjm0918's Profile Search for other posts by bjm0918

Dick_F233
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 24 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Dick_F233

bjm0918 wrote:

Hi everybody...  New to the forum 

I'm in the process of restoring a '73  23'3 center consule.  Inside being  Awl-griped right now..  completely gutted everything, will be starting out with a brand new canvas to work from. All soft decking and fuel tank to be replaced. Even removed the windshield and had it polished and re-anodized..

Was wondering what i/o power options have worked well??? Currently I am planning to put the Mercruiser 350 EFI horizon with a Bravo III outdrive(300hp at props)???.. Best prop selection???

wolud appreciate any advice...thanks

I powered mine with a 1998 Mercruiser 260hp 5.7L EFI, Bravo Two Outdrive w/2.2 ratio, and a 20P - 18" diam 4 blade SS  prop.  I average 3 nautical miles per gallon and can top 40 mph on the rare occassions sea conditions offshore will allow it.  It has an easy 200 mile range, I use it blue water marlin fishing, and have been delighted with it. 

Before you make a The Bravo III decision, you may want to consider the exteremely bad corrosion history they have had.  Also, the hydraulic steering on my Bravo II pretty much removes the effects of torque, and make me wonder about the real value of counter rotating props.

You can see it on the bottom of page three at <link removed>

Edited by Dick_F233 on 24 January 2005 at 6:25pm

Oh Kay - 1972 Thunderbird Formula F233

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 13:25
Back to Top Printable version View Dick_F233's Profile Search for other posts by Dick_F233

bjm0918
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 27 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote bjm0918

thanks for the advice Dick_F233... will take it in to consideration if spring ever gets here...

Nice pick's...was the rod holder on top of the engine cover custom???  looks like it would almost replace a fighting chair..

thanks again

Back to Top Printable version View bjm0918's Profile Search for other posts by bjm0918

Dick_F233
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 27 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Dick_F233

bjm0918 wrote:

thanks for the advice Dick_F233... will take it in to consideration if spring ever gets here...

Nice pick's...was the rod holder on top of the engine cover custom???  looks like it would almost replace a fighting chair..

thanks again

Yes, I made the rod holder.  The post is a removeable Pompanette that will also accomodate a chair, and I can easily take it completely off with the removal of three 3/8" allen screws.  The rocket launcher base is made of two pieces of 3/4" plywood sandwiched together, and painted with two coats of epoxy primer and two coats of epoxy paint.  I used three Lee RH525SS rod holders and a Garelick 99235-01 360 deg spider.

See <links removed>  

Edited by Dick_F233 on 27 January 2005 at 12:07pm

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 13:27
Back to Top Printable version View Dick_F233's Profile Search for other posts by Dick_F233

makksumm
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 03 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote makksumm

Hey guys, just found this forum, and have also recently purchased a '66 formula 233.  The boat has been sitting in a yard for at least 10 years, so it is a mess.  I have already removed the seating and the deck to rebuild the stringers which i plan on using Seacast after removing the rotten wood.  To bjm0918, I too am also in the repowering delemna and have spoken with several companies www.ebasicpower.com and another at the Baltimore boat show last week regarding the drive units.  For pretty much the same money, I think Im going with the volvo/penta duoprop.  The ebasicpower company sells both at pretty much the same cost, and the volvo unit has been around for quite some time, used on several high dollar boats.  I would stay away from the B3 for now until the corrossion problems get solved.  The Albemarle 24's have been "wearing" the volvo units for quite some time until recently.  My boat currently has the straight six w/ an A-1 outdrive which is all on its way out.  I would be very interested in chatting with someone who has there boat done to hear about there setup and the way it handles.

Mike.

Back to Top Printable version View makksumm's Profile Search for other posts by makksumm

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 03 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

WELCOME!!!

Glad you're here. Your updates and postings will be great to have.

What do you plan to set it back up for...fishin' or cruisin'?

Double E

Back to Top Printable version View 233 Double E's Profile Search for other posts by 233 Double E

makksumm
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 04 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote makksumm

Hey, thanks Double E.  Since I have two small kids and a "checkbook keeper" (the wife), it will be a mix.  It will be user friendly for both worlds.  I'm pretty set on the volvo unit with the 350.  Ebasicpower seems to have a pretty good package rate for all the components which Ill need to be replacing.  Have you gone through the restoring process?  ...  I've got LOTS of questions. 

...Mike.

Back to Top Printable version View makksumm's Profile Search for other posts by makksumm

Dick_F233
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 05 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Dick_F233

makksumm wrote:

Hey guys, just found this forum, and have also recently purchased a '66 formula 233.  The boat has been sitting in a yard for at least 10 years, so it is a mess.    I would be very interested in chatting with someone who has there boat done to hear about there setup and the way it handles.

Mike.

amisummers@aol.com

Hey Mike,

Welcome aboard. 

How do you plan to use it when you get it done?  I spent several years whipping this one into shape, and use it offshore, trolling for billfish.  I would do it much differently if I was using it for racing or skiing.

I repowered mine in 1998 with a 260hp 5.7L EFI Mercruiser and a Bravo II outdrive, and average 3 nmpg on a typical fishing trip.  I've been very pleased with it.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 13:27

makksumm
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 06 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote makksumm

Dick_F233,

Definately not for racing or skiing.  It will be set up for fishing and cruising primarily that is also family friendly.  I like the hardtop you have, but I think I'm going to end up with an arch made by atlantic towers along with a retractible bimini which Ill be able to zip front and side curtains in/out of.  I too am going with the 5.7 ltr engine coupled with the volvo/penta duoprop OD.

Mike.

Dick_F233
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 06 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Dick_F233

makksumm,
I think you'll be pleased with your choice of engines and outdrives.  Curtains are also on my "want list".  That and trim tabs will pretty well finish it up for me.

If it's convenient, might I suggest you take plenty of digital photos as your restoration progresses.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 13:33

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 07 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Makks,

I've not done anything significant in the way of restoring. (just refinished the swim platform & some cushions) She's pretty much like she came from the showroom floor (& on her trailer) in '81.  The first owner took pretty good care of it.

Gents here like Fintage & Oh Kay's owners will be a benefit.  If my friend 'Cuda drops by, he'll also be able to lend a helpfull word or two, contact info  & encouragement.

I've got the same 5.7l power and it has a Holly 650 carb on it with the orig Alpha 1 (I think Alpha 1) drive.

When I started this thread, I had no idea it would dominate the comprehensive list of boat manufacturer's in this category and have such high subsequent interest.  It shows to me the integrity of the brand, interest by others who just "walk" through and appreciation for the classic style.  Be sure to look through the previous 5 pages here when u can for other mentioned sites for where 'bird owners congregate.

Have a great week & keep thinking warm weather...

bjm0918
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 07 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote bjm0918

Thanks for the detailed photo's Dick_F233.... that rod/chair holder will make a great addition... just got to re-install everything on the boat first...  YIKES!!!

Have some Pics of when I first bought it...will post them with new ones when it gets back from paint hopefully at the end of the month...Should look good with all the new teak hatch covers i just got done building... 

makksumm..I have been reading up on the BIII problems and althought they are getting better..not sure it's worth the risk...checking out ebasics power that Volvo 5.7GXI with 320HP really caught my attention...  what are you planning for power????

Thanks again everybody

F255Vanguard
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 15 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote F255Vanguard

Hi guys,

I am new to boating,but love the water,so I decided to go out and buy a boat to restore and enjoy.I purchased a 1978/79(not sure of exact date)Formula 255 V,and now I am looking for information on it,I downloaded the brochure from the vintage formula site and it appears that everything in the boat is orgional and complete for the most part.It currently has 2 Mercruiser 470 motors,one is froze and has water in the oil pan and the other has a stripped flywheel but does turn.Has anyone ever changed the engines in one of these?I would like to go to twin V-8's small ones for a good power/mileage ratio,and would like any opinion's and pros/cons on rebuilding the 470's vs.replacing them.Or if I should just sell it and get one that runs,now after reading these forums I feel I paid WAY too much for it.

Thanks,

F255Vanguard

Back to Top Printable version View F255Vanguard's Profile Search for other posts by F255Vanguard

64Formula
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 64Formula

Hello Ladies and Gents, It has been a while since I last logged on but I have been a busy bee. I just bought another formula f233 this one is a 77 with an outboard bracket and a 225 Evenrude VRO. Any body have any idea wath sort of fuel consumption and speed ranges I sould expect? Oh yeah and my original 64' with all original motors and fittings is now for sale and at a good price!@
Back to Top Printable version View 64Formula's Profile Search for other posts by 64Formula

64Formula
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 64Formula

makksumm, When you get done or get the specs for your radar arch will you please post some pics I have been thinking about that exact approach for a long time! I think a rearware leaning arch with a forward folding bimini is the way to go, but haven't seen one installed.
Back to Top Printable version View 64Formula's Profile Search for other posts by 64Formula

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Vanguard,

WELCOME HOME!!!!
We're all glad you've dropped by.  If you're new to boats (like I was when I got by 'bird) you may or may not know that the "official" year of manufacturing is the last 2 numbers of the hull ID.  Many times it is also on the title (if your state recognizes boat titles).  If the numbers aren't available, no big deal, you know what you've got for the most part anyway.

About those motors...twin 470s!  Wow! (Is that the c.i displacement or hp rating?) Either way, I bet that was more than adequate power for it when running.

I don’t know if you bit off more than you can chew when it comes to the project at hand (I would have), but as you said, “buy a boat to restore and enjoy”, was the decision. 
As far as what to do…

If money is not a serious limitation, a good option is to switch them out for a pair of fuel injected 5.7L motors and here’s why.

You can work on the motors fairly easily (with more room), get parts for them easily and have a host of upgrades at hand as needed.  You’ll know their history, probably have a warranty and seldom need to worry about what you’ll get from them concerning reliability.  Better cruising range will result and you’ll probably be within the power range you want/need.

Continuing the money-is-no-limitation side:  You’ll probably also need to replace or adapt both drives, motor mounts, steering equipment and a giant list of details (like wiring gages & such) that all change when you re-power with a different engine size.

Let’s say there’s a budget:  Keeping the current motors will probably have you on the water sooner & might cost less.  The one that’s frozen is a big concern however.  Depending on how it seized up, it may need a new block.  You might need another block (and at most) be able to save some parts from the old one.  However, by the time you’re done with tearing down, assessing and fixing the reason for the seizure, moving over any usable parts and re-installing it, you’d be just as well to get a new one and not have to worry about the other parts on it.  At the end of that effort, you’ll have one motor who’s history you can’t count on and one with a new block, but who’s internals and other components are probably just as old.  With good maintenance though, you’ll save a bundle in adapting or replacing the drives, re-wiring and various other changes necessary than if you went with the tein 5.7s. 

In a couple of years, you could re-assess the other (stripped flywheel) engine and budget out a replacement for it too.

For the ultimate in time to get on the water and no budget concerns, you might also re-power with new motors of the same size and be more certain of reliability, power needs, no changes to the drives or major wiring and it would be “restored”.

The next assessment I would do would be in the order of: What do I plan to and enjoy most about it?

Will I trailer it everywhere or dock it and keep it there? (less engine=less towing strain)

Do I value more go-fast time or hanging out and relaxing time? (more motor or less motor)

Do I need to pound waves and fight river current or just the lakes with loading docks? (more motor or less motor)

Do I hate working on a cramped engine bay constantly or would I appreciate more a bit more room and potentially less work needed in general regardless of the cost. (new smaller motor or fix old ones)

How long do I plan to keep it? (find the lowest cost solution or spend the $ now and enjoy it for along time)

I don’t mean to pry and you’re welcome to ignore the questions but:

is it on a good trailer?

how is the condition of the wood?

was it only used on fresh water?

how’s the paint?

is the interior in tact (from original)

how much was the asking price?

did you have a survey done?

how is the transom integrity?

To me (for now) you have more questions to ask yourself (and rate) about the above (and what you plan to get out of it) than what we can probably help you with.  The bottom line though, is that you have a heck of a hull there (they built them like tanks) with a classic design from an outstanding manufacturer.

Again…welcome home and keep us posted.

bjm0918
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote bjm0918

Vanguard,

A little over a year ago I purchased a 23'3 center consule with plans to repower only.... after I started working, I decided to do the proper thing and completely restore it....Hopefully late spring it will see the ocean ... 

A lot of extra expense involved, but I know I'm going to be much happier having a brand new(32 year old) boat.

It's a project that once you get started turns into a multitude of smaller expensive projects...

FYI

Mercruiser 5.7 w/ complete outdrive assembly installed is about $15-17K X2 gets expensive..

As 233DoubleE stated... just depends on how long u want to keep it??  and how much the reliability factor concerns you..

Dick_F233
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Dick_F233

F255Vanguard wrote:

Hi guys,

I am new to boating,but love the water,so I decided to go out and buy a boat to restore and enjoy.I purchased a 1978/79(not sure of exact date)Formula 255 V,and now I am looking for information on it,I downloaded the brochure from the vintage formula site and it appears that everything in the boat is orgional and complete for the most part.It currently has 2 Mercruiser 470 motors,one is froze and has water in the oil pan and the other has a stripped flywheel but does turn.Has anyone ever changed the engines in one of these?I would like to go to twin V-8's small ones for a good power/mileage ratio,and would like any opinion's and pros/cons on rebuilding the 470's vs.replacing them.Or if I should just sell it and get one that runs,now after reading these forums I feel I paid WAY too much for it.

Thanks,

F255Vanguard

Welcome Aboard, Vanguard.

If it were me with the engines you describe, I wouldn't even consider trying to use them.  I would bite the bullet, and install new engine(s). controls,  and outdrive(s). 

Even if you can resurrect those engines, the most probable long term outcome is likely to be breakdown followed by breakdown, punctuated by the occasional tow in.

You may have to spend 30K on them, but if you restore it right, you will have a boat that is likely to have a fair market value well above that.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 13:32

80FORMULA F20CL
"Seaman"

Posted: February 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 80FORMULA F20CL

Vangard,

Congratulations on your purchase.  The 470’s that you have are 4 cyl, 170 HP Freshwater Cooled Mercruiser Engines.  If you talk to people, they will either love them or hate them. I have a single 470 in a 20 ft Formula and have been very happy with it so far, seems to have plenty of power and extremely economical.  These engines are aluminum blocks, designed by Mercruiser with a head from a 460 Cubic Inch Ford.  They have some odd quirks that if monitored should last a good while, there are a bunch of them still out there.  There were originally produced with NO belts.  The Alternator is built into the Harmonic Balancer and the water pump is driven off of the front of the camshaft.  There is an aftermarket Alt and bracket assembly that can be added if the OEM Alt and Regulator go bad, due to the replacement cost of the OEM parts. There is a Message Board on the following site that should have any information and parts that you may need if you decide to keep the original engines.  Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. www.breezeworks.net

Thanks,

Butch

Back to Top Printable version View 80FORMULA F20CL's Profile Search for other posts by 80FORMULA F20CL

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Butch,
Thanks for that clarification...I was thinking he had a couple of "monsters" back there for original equipment.

Dick_F233
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Dick_F233

F255Vanguard,

I'd love a boat like yours with a pair of YanMar's to power it.  How do you plan to use your boat?

Edited by Dick_F233 on 16 February 2005 at 3:47pm

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 13:35

F255Vanguard
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 16 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote F255Vanguard

Thanks for the input guys,

233 Double E - its a 1978 thanks for the tip,

I don’t mean to pry and you’re welcome to ignore the questions but:

is it on a good trailer? I purchased the trailer it was sitting on for $500 it is a 1996 24' Hustler with bad (rust in the lines)brakes and some rust around the hitch but good running gear and tires.

how is the condition of the wood? The wood around the rear and the swim platform is pretty ugly weathered but I think some sanding and a lot of oil will bring it back to life,the wood in the cabin and below deck is dirty and has water "drip"stains in places I have tested cleaning and teak oil on a few spots and it comes back pretty well.

was it only used on fresh water? I don't know for sure,just guessing it may have seen salt at some point due to the condition of the outdrives and corrosion of wires in the cabin,and in the A/C - D/C converter/bat.charger  box

how’s the paint?BAD,the boat was the blue color in the 78 formula brochure,it appears that they pulled it from the water and painted it white on the trailer to cover up the blemishes,there is overspray on the trailer and runs,drips,puddles and finger prints in the paint and it feels like sandpaper,they also left a huge tape line along the bottom of where they sprayed....my 5 year old nephew is a better painter haha.

is the interior in tact (from original)the interior is all there except for the nav compass which was swiped and the hole covered with some plastic flowers,and one of the wood covers under the seat in the "dining area".It has all the orgional covers they need to be cleaned and a few minor repairs around the snaps need to be made.The Shag covering in the lower section needs some glue along the center seam and a few spots along the edge.

how much was the asking price?I bought it at an auction,it was in the water until september 2004 and I bought it at the beginning of october,I got it for $3000,and the trailer it was sitting on was another lot which I got for $500 and it cost $200 to have it towed to my house so the total investment was $3700.

did you have a survey done?Sadly no I was with a friend and well I just liked the looks of the boat,the thing just said take me home,and it seemed to be a solid craft,I knew it didn't run but the other boat in the auction was much newer (a 92 about the same size )but just was in poor condition and falling apart and it sold for 6x this boat and need more care.

how is the transom integrity?appears to be good,but then again I don't really know until I get deeper into it,no apparent cracks,although along the sides there appear to be about 6 spots where the paint has bulged out in a vertical line just above where the water line would be,from the engine bay I can't see anything that attaches there so it is a bit of a mystery at the moment,when I strip the white paint (after figuring out the mechanical cost)I will have a better picture of the problem.

The only other problems I see cosmetic wise are the stainless rails in the front on the left side are bent just a little and have stripped out the base holes in the fiberglass,and the front port holes for the anchor box and cuddy area are both missing their seals,dryrotted and gone,which has caused some damage around the anchor box,rusted and rotted light fixture and minor wood damage.

Butch,

Thanks for the info on the motors and website,even though they are 4 cyl they are still monsters tipping the scales at almost 500 lbs each the 4 banger in my car weighs 180 with everything attached. The site has good info on what I am looking at cost wise to replace both of the 470's,right now I am leaning tward replacing both with rebuilt versions and the outdrives,and use the boat for what it was built for,cruising.

I am happy that I got an "oddball"I see a lot of the other formulas on websites and forums but have yet to see another F-255 Vanguard.It is a sharp looking boat even sitting in the yard with a poor paint job and apparent neglect it still looks good.

Thanks everyone.

Back to Top Printable version View F255Vanguard's Profile Search for other posts by F255Vanguard

75F233
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 17 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 75F233

Hey Guys,

I just found this forum a few days ago and there's a lot of good info here.  You guys have some great boats - Fintage and Oh Kay.  I've been a big fan of the F233 for some time now.  I bought mine back in 1985, used her for a season, and then put her through an extensive rebuild.  Just recently I put her through another rebuild (I hope you 233 purists are sitting down) I converted her from a cuddy to a center console.  This is a great boat.  Better than anything you can buy on the market today (without a huge mortgage).  You can see my project at http://jmwpe.com/formula233.html  The site is not quite finished yet but you'll get the idea.  I'd be interested in reading your comments.

Juni

Edited by 75F233 on 17 February 2005 at 11:35am

Back to Top Printable version View 75F233's Profile Search for other posts by 75F233

64Formula
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 17 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 64Formula

It looks like you have been working on this since 1985=-)

Good job on an all around quality restoration. I would love to see somepics of what you did with the interior on the finished product.

Did you order a console or isit custom?

Any plans for a bracket and an outboard in the future?

75F233
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 17 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 75F233

Actually the original restoration took me about 6 months working evenings and weekends.  I'll get the rest of the 85 reconstruction pics up as soon as I have a chance to scan them.  I just had the T-Top put on and I haven't quite finished installing my new electronics and doing all the wiring yet.  Leaning post is not finished yet either.  I need to add tackle lockers, make drawers, add cushions, etc.  My other job seems to interfere with my boat work.

I built a mold for the console and had a guy shoot it with a chopper gun.  Same for the leaning post as well as various other parts I had to get made (bait well, etc.).

I'm currently doing the research on the bracket idea and saving my "boat" bucks.  That would be a nice addition.

Back to Top Printable version View 75F233's Profile Search for other posts by 75F233

makksumm
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 17 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote makksumm

To 64Formula...  Here are a couple of links for Atlantic Towers.  The first one takes you to a page that shows items for formulas in general.  The second one shows an F233 with the arch I believe I am going to go with and a retractable bimini.  I think I would prefer my bimini under the arch, and free standing.  The whaler I used to have with a ttop and radar seemed to shred the canvass where the radar was secured to the top.  Take a look:  http://www.atlantictowers.com  

Mike.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 20 2013 at 13:31

makksumm
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 19 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote makksumm

75F233,  Could you please shoot me an email?  ...   I'd like to ask you a few questions about your stringer restoration if possible and your profile doesn't list an email address.  I have mine (stringers) open now and am contemplating the best options for rebiulding them.  I don't live far from you as Im in the Annapolis, Md. area.  Thanks, Mike.    

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 24 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Mike,
If 75F233 has replied as requested, it may be a good idea to go in and edit your post to remove your e-mail address.  Web crawlers will grab the address and spam it all day long otherwise.

I just didn't want you to be hassled because you innocently joined the thread...

80FORMULA F20CL
"Seaman"

Posted: February 24 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 80FORMULA F20CL

makksumm,

I noticed you were in Annapolis and mentioned you may be interested in an Arch.  There is a place in Pasadena on Jumpers Hole Road that does Arch's, Towers, T-Tops etc called C +L Pipe Works.  The owner Cliff is a good friend of mine and although I have never had anything made by him (YET) I know he does first class work and seems to be reasonable from what I hear. Just thought you may want to try someone local while you are shopping.  Good luck.

Butch 

Back to Top Printable version View 80FORMULA F20CL's Profile Search for other posts by 80FORMULA F20CL

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 03 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Vanguard,

About your swim platform,  I just got mine back from being refinished.  My dad is a basement "wood craftsman" and did some nice work on it.

As indicated from earlier posts, the wood on mine was varnished by the original owner and is in overall very good condition, so I'm just refinishing pieces where needed.  I would have been ok with oiling and keeping it natural, but I'm pretty sure that it would not have held up as well over 20+ years.

Anyway, if you want the "maintenence free" option for yours and you're lokling for some assistance on how to do it to your swim platform, I had the "wood craftsman" write up his process:

Goal-Purpose: To restore looks and protect wood from wet and dry conditions on the swim platform of Formula 233 Interceptor.

Materials: Finish stripper, finish scraper, disc sander with coarse to fine(120) grits, flat sand paper sheets from coarse to fine, vacuum, tack cloths, good quality marine varnish, wood filler, foam brushes, mineral spirits, small screw driver, drop cloth, work platform.

Procedure: A) Inspect platform wood for cracks, loose screws, rotten wood on both sides, edges and between slats, fill cracks, tighten screws, replace wood if necessary.

B) Remove all existing finish on all surfaces by using any or all listed materials. Vacuum as you go, scrape finish out of screw holes. Sand wood surfaces smooth, in preparation for varnish. Using mineral spirits wipe deck and follow-up with tack cloth.

C) Stir marine varnish and apply according to directions on can. Apply to one side of deck and let dry. (Use a drop cloth underneath deck to absorb drips through slats. Apply varnish in even strokes to include nooks and corners. When first surface is dry, turn over platform and scrape any run spots smooth and apply varnish to underside surface. Do not lay varnished surface on wet surface of drop cloth. When underside surface is dry, repeat process of applying finish. Each coat will double over the outside edges, and between slats. (Note: you may delay applying coats, but a light sanding of surfaces will be required with use of tack cloth to remove sanding dust.) Foam brushes may be cleaned with mineral spirits or thrown out. They're cheap.

Columbia is a pretty good little haul from where he is in South/central VA, but if you want some additional assistance and don't mind the travel, I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to refinish your platform also and I doubt he would ask over $100 or so (plus materials).  The beauty is that you're probably not in a rush and neither is he...

tpenfield
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 06 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote tpenfield

I'm in the process of getting a Formula 242 SS.  Looking for any words of wisdom from Formula Owners, particularly those who own (owned) a 242 series.

Regards,

tpenfield

Back to Top Printable version View tpenfield's Profile Search for other posts by tpenfield

Bora Bora Bound
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 28 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Bora Bora Bound

I just bought a 1976 Thunderbird Fomula F 255 FC (26ft w/cuddy).  Does anyone have any info on this model?  I'm interested in the specifications such as weight, value, etc.
Back to Top Printable version View Bora Bora Bound's Profile Search for other posts by Bora Bora Bound

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 28 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

Sshaaaweett!

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the Formula thread of the board.  (You're also the 200th post in the thread since it started less than a year ago!)

If you haven't already been able to skim through the previous postings from the other 'bird owners here, please be sure to make some time to do so.  You'll find some excellent references to get the info you need and an overall feel for the group that visits here.

I'm guessing you have a good feel for what you have concerning engine size, outdrive specs and (will soon) have info on amenities it includes.  Give us an idea about where you got it and it's overall condition to better figure out value.

There are alo sites (like Kelly Blue Book) for boats, but as yoiu know they're just one reference from subjective data.

Anyway...welcome again, visit often, get pics and catch up on your reading from the rest of us when you can...

Bora Bora Bound
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 28 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Bora Bora Bound

Thanks for the feedback.  I had the model wrong - it is an F 255 FC.  The boat is in good overall condition, needing a little TLC but no major damage/flaws.  I know it has a single V8 engine, I believe it is a GM 350.  It has a Mercruiser outdrive.  There is no owners manual, and I cannot fine the boat on NADA boat values.  I'm most interested in the dry weight/displacement and the draft. 

It has a toilet, shower, fridge & stove in the cuddy with sleeping for two.

Bora Bora 

Back to Top Printable version View Bora Bora Bound's Profile Search for other posts by Bora Bora Bound

F255Vanguard
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 29 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote F255Vanguard

Bora Bora,

If you have not visited the Formula vintage site yet it may help you find some of the info you are looking for such as the weight of the 1976 Freedom Cruiser is 6575lbs....here is the link to the page :http://www.formulaboats.com/content/vintage.aspx?type=0

I would also check the other years around yours I found more info on my F255 that way.

Also for value check out http://www.bucvalu.com/ try the free search until it shows your boat.

233 Double E,

Thanks for the tip on the swim platform.

I have had a man from the marina come and check out the boat for me he thinks the hull is fine a small patch job on a crack in the bow was the only thing he saw there,he recommended a repower,rebuilding the 470's and replacing the outdrives,and rebuilding the electrical panel for the shore power/batt.charger.

The best part of all was while checking the pumps for problems I found a box in the cuddy with the orgional shower curtain,the missing stainless bits from the cabin,and the Mercruiser shop repair manual.I think it is all there for sure now!

Funny how people all have the same reaction to the boat,they stop "just to look at it",then they tell me how it's junk,then they offer to buy it...highest offer so far $4k I don't feel bad about buying it at all now...although if it gets to 5k I may have to let her go. 

233 Double E
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 29 2005 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote 233 Double E

F255,

Thanks for assisting Bora Bora with the background help.

Likewise, when I got mine, the bimini, clear vinyl zip on panels for it and even the little bug screen that goes over the hatch hole were still in their original packaging from '82.  Got the service manual for the outdrive too.

I sure wish I could find the water tank for the sink though...

I'm with you though... if after minor clean up, it got to $5K, I'd do the same thing!  What I paid for mine is buried in the previous posts and it's worth more to me (but not that much more!)  I'd daggum for sure go find another Formula though....

Bora Bora,

Are you really in Talladega?  I saw where there's only 200 ft of ocean coast line in AL.  Is that right?

]
] ]
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version