View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Carver
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Carver
Subject Topic: Considering Carver For First Boat! Post ReplyPost New Topic
2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 07:46 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Hi Guys! I am new to the forum and wanted to take a quick minute to introduce myself. My name is Joe and I am from Rocky Point, Long Island, NY. For many years I have dreamed about owning my own boat. Now, with the blessing (kind of) from the wifey, I can make that dream come true. Especially with the very soft market right now, it's a great time to buy.

I need advice on my first boat. What to look for in a boat, what to steer clear of.

Here is what I would like in a boat:

• Family boat roomy enough for 4-6 adults and 2-4 kids at any given time.
  • Good cruiser that will not get the wife sick (my brother has a new 212 foot Regal and ran her up to about 50 knots and made my job finding a boat much harder!).
  • Something that needs some work but has good bones and runs well.
A buddy of mine recently obtained a 1980 Carver Santa Cruz as a repo for payment owed to him. Would this boat be a stable cruise on the Long Island sound and up the East Coast? I think it's a good deal at $3500 but not sure. From what I see the biggest negative is the only controls are from the flybridge which is not enclosed. This can make things difficult in weather!

Thanks guys~ 

Rocky Point, Long Island - NY
-------------------------------------------
"Save the Earth, Ride Some Grass!"
www.backyardskateboards.com

Back to Top Printable version View NoGin's Profile Search for other posts by NoGin

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 10:18 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated!

Back to Top Printable version View NoGin's Profile Search for other posts by NoGin

Capt K.T.
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 11:36 | IP Logged Quote Capt K.T.

HI

As you are about to be a first time boat owner, I would NOT purchase an old boat.....Unless you are mechincally and electronically inclined and have deep pockets....

Old boats are less expense to purchase and for a good reason.. They require alot of maintance and work and EXPENSE..

In this market you can find a relatively newer boat for not much more that these used boat..Research Research, thats the name of the game and Negioate...

I own a Carver 396 (2004), Previous Hatteras MY

NO MATTER WAHT YOU PURCHASE HAVE IT SURVEYED>>>>>

Capt. Ken

Out'nAbout
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 12:32 | IP Logged Quote Out'nAbout

Ahoy Capt Ken, how'd you like the change to the Carver from the Hat? What caused you to change, as most would think to go the other way?

Back to Top Printable version View Out'nAbout's Profile Search for other posts by Out'nAbout

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 14:47 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

How are the '80's boats? I have been looking into the 1960 - 1970 wooden boats but quickly ran away from that! 

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 15:03 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

Hello NoGin,  Welcome to boating!!

I would respectfully disagree with Captain Ken, respected especially because he is a Captain and obviously an experienced mariner.

Buying an old boat is not the kiss of death for a new boater.  A brand new boat is the best way to go for new and old boaters alike, if you have lots of money.  If so, go for it.  Unless you are independently wealthy, a used boat is the only way to go and there are some great bargains out there this year.

I bought my first big boat used and have been very fortunate.  Yes, there were some things that needed replacing, repairing, but the money I have spent so far is far less than the amount I would have spent additonally to get a similar boat new. 

Probably the smallest you would want to go for that many people is around 32 feet, unless you are talking about that many LIVING on the boat, they you are talking 38-40 feet or more, depending on the configuration.  You'll get more living space out of an aft cabin config.  If you are looking at that many people for day cruising, then a 32 is ample space.

Carver makes very durable boats as long as they are cared for and there are quite a few model 3207s available.  Carvers don't have the highest resale value when compared to Hatterass, Bertram, etc., but are good quality and good value.  Their aft cabins are highly regarded for lots of living room for the size of the boat.

A fly bridge can be enclosed to keep you dry and extend your boating season.  Buying a boat with fly bridge and aft deck enclosures are great to helping you start the boating season early and extending it well into Fall.

If you are a fisherman, you will want a boat with a cockpit, but you'll have to get a larger boat to get sufficient interior space with this configuration.  If you are not a fisherman, you might be better off getting an aft cabin configuration.

Many boats today are called express cruisers.  Sea Ray is big on these.  They have advantages and disadvantages.  First they often have a great helm deck, large enough to hold all thee people you mention on the same level as as the helm.  Great for social cruising yet keeping the overall length smaller than the length of a boat with a fly bridge with the same people capacity on the fly bridge.  The question is do you need everyone around the boat's master all the time.  A fly bridge can separate the guys from the gals, as is often the case, on two different levels.  The guys on the bridge and the gals on the aft deck (or in the cockpit.   There is less of a difference in distance between the fly bridge and the aft deck in an aft cabin configuration boat.  Some people think an express cruiser configuration puts too much of the interior living space "down below", with smaller windows to the world.  Aft cabin boats have much more interior light from larger windows.  Some people love the express cruisers, some think being inside is like being in the basement.  Let your wife chose the living space configuration for a much happier life and more time together.

I know what you mean about the "212 foot Regal and ran her up to about 50 knots and made my job finding a boat much harder!"  I introduced my wife to boating on my brothers Four Winns Vista 278 on a rough day at a high speed and have been paying for it ever since.  The vision of her desparately holding on to her breasts is etched in my memory.  I'm still working on here to be First Mate.

When buying a used boat, the best place to begin is with a good professional marine survey.  Find a good honest one, not associated with the seller - independent is the key.  One who benefits from the sale is not always trustworthy.

Some other advice, depending on your current level of knowledge/experience, is to take a good boating safety course.  You and your wife should take one.  I think the United States Power Squadron teaches the best of these.  Plus they have advanced courses in Navigation, Engine Maintenance, Marine Electronics, Weather, etc. if you want to go deeper, but their Boating Course will give you a great broad exposure.

hmmm, didn't mean to make this as long as it is, but I do hope it helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ron Simpson

Back to Top Printable version View glpowercruiser's Profile Search for other posts by glpowercruiser

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 15:05 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

There is no need to shy away from '80s fiberglass boats - as long as they have been cared for.  A twenty plus year old boat is not old.

Back to Top Printable version View glpowercruiser's Profile Search for other posts by glpowercruiser

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 15:44 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

"The vision of her desparately holding on to her breasts is etched in my memory."  - Now that's priceless! That fits my wife on my brothers boat to a T! 

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. The boat is for pleasure cruising and some overnight stays, not a live aboard. Most of the time I imagine it will be my wife and I and 2 boys. But we would like to have her parents on for a nice dinner cruise and yes - A MUST IS A FLY BRIDGE SO I CAN ESCAPE THE FEMALE MADNESS!!! 

I actually looked at a 1965 Chris Craft quickly today which was a perfect project boat. I think it may be too big though. :(

On the other hand, I really think the 26 is going to be too small.

What could one expect to pay to have a custom fly bridge on say a 26 - 33 footer cost? I spoke with a gentleman today who wants $3,600. for a fiberglass hard top. That seems to be a bit pricey!

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 15:45 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

The 65 Chris is also the first year they used fiberglass. 1 3/4 inch thick. Is this a good thing or no?

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 15:52 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

Yes, those early FIBERGLASS Chris's are built like battleships.  Great boats overall. 

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 15:56 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Humm, this may be a decent find then.... 

May be a little too big though. I may need to take a better look.

Edited by NoGin on March 01 2009 at 16:00

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 15:59 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

Stay away from wood boats!!! Unless you are a wood hobbiest and/or have enought money to have someone work on it.

Start shopping on the internet to see what is out there and approx how much you'll be spending.

Don't forget to add in annual costs going forward for, fuel, maintenance (oil, tune-ups, bottom paint at a minimum), dockage and storage (outdoor, shrinkwrapped; indoor not heated; indoor heated.  Indoor heated is the best for the boat as it dries out well and ages less, plus you can work on it during the winter, but is the most expensive).

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 16:00 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

Only a good marine survey can tell if its a good find

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 16:01 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

The longer the boat, the more it costs for your dock and for storage - usually.

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 16:01 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Depending on the size, I am considering installing one of those bubble type storage garages in my backyard. It would be nice to have that with heat in it!!

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 16:05 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

Here is my 1985 boat

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 16:07 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

The bubble idea sounds great.  Are you looking for a trailerable boat?  The biggest boat I've seen that is trailerable is my brother's Four Winns Vista 278.  It is the width that limits trailerability.  His is about 2 inches over, but it still works.

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 16:48 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Docking is nutty here on Long Island. Town marina rates are 60/ft but have an 8-10 year wait. Private marinas look for $95-$250/ft. OUCH.

Looks like it's mooring town for me!  

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 16:51 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

I really like the idea of trailering the boat. It will save me a lot of storage fees for sure! However, I really don't know if a 26 or 28 footer will work for us and what we want to use it for. I am thinking about gutting the interior, eliminating the side galley and putting a wrap around sofa with some smaller side tables and a flat screen/stereo system. It's really going to be used for entertaining and cruising more than anything else. 

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 16:53 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Quote: glpowercruiser
Here is my 1985 boat

No that looks nice! Is she a Carver? How big? That's kind of what I was looking to do on the inside!

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 21:02 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

Thanks.  I fell in love with it as soon as I found it because of how much room it has inside.  And it's only 32' by 11'7".

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 21:06 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

These are not pics of my boat, but they fit the size limit required here.  The best thing to do is to do an online search for "carver 32 ac", or "carver 3207", or "carver 32 aft cabin".

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 21:32 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

That is truly a nice boat! Today I found a Silverton I am looking into. Any thoughts on the mid 70's Silvertons? It's a 1976 34 footer fly bridge with new 318 Chryslers. Again, I have no idea the quality and "smoothness" of the boats.

Capt K.T.
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 22:52 | IP Logged Quote Capt K.T.

NICE..

The reason from a 1971 53' Hatteras to a 2004 39 Carver

MONIES MONIES... Cost of the pure size...To much work.. Spent most of my time repairing or fixin something and not enjoying the yacht...

The YACHT owned me....

NOW Margaritas on the Aft Deck....

OLD Boats are just Old Boats and the resell .......If you can sell it,,,, you are darn lucky...

My Hatteras took over a year to sell and at a fraction of what it was worth...

there is not much market for OLD used boats, that is why they are literally paying you to take them...

, I would go for the newest boat in the price range I could afford that had a outstanding survey and fits my needs to a tee...

I could write a book on my research on boats and my expierences on the seas, and perhaps I will start that someday soon, till then do you research talk to boat owners and brokers and find your dream,...

K

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 23:09 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Very cool, thanks. I am slowly figuring out what I want in a boat now it's down to make/model.  Is there somewhere I can go to that rates used boats and gives retail values? I wish I can take a ride on all the boats I look at but I am just lucky crawling in under the shrink wrap to take a peak inside!

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 23:11 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

Thanks Captain Ken.

I absolutely agree with your statement ", I would go for the newest boat in the price range I could afford that had a outstanding survey and fits my needs to a tee..."  Always the newer the better.  And finding an older boat that fits your needs and is well taken care of takes some time and work.  Again, the Survey is CRITICAL!!!  I still would not say one should shy away from a 20 year old boat, as long at it is well cared for.  I have had to replace only the interior carpeting and wallpaper, couch cushions, berth covers, aft deck carpet, and some canvas repair.  Not bad for an old boat.  All the rest of the work has been for upgrades, none of which were critical.

Joe,

I don't have much exposure to Silverton's.  The only one I knew was a friend's circa 1990's aft cabin, 35' I think.  It was a nice boat, but was very "tippy" - lots of side to side movement due to the shape of the hull.  The freeboard had a considerable tumblehome that made it less stable.  Not sure when this worked into the silverton design, but I'll bet there is no comparisson.

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 23:20 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

I think BoatUS has a boat "bluebook" service.  You enter your specs and they respond in a day or two with the info.  A Survey will give you a good market value as well as a good indication of soundness.

Capn Ken, do you know of another?

Capt K.T.
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 01 2009 at 23:29 | IP Logged Quote Capt K.T.

To find out values ask a broker to get you a copy of BOATSSOLD.

It is a report only brokers can get..The site is boatsold.com

There is an NADA for boats but sdo not go by that too much.....Boats are sold based on condition/location/....In my research I found boats in the North East very well cared for , maintained, and in impecable condition..

To put it plainly I live in Texas and bought our Carver in Maine.. Last August...

I will agree if an older is well taken care of it is ok.. Just realize the resell-abilty of that brand/make and model..

The first boat you buy will probably not be your last....The boats I researched carefully were

Hatteras, Bertram, Post,  Feadship, Burger, and Trumpy.  I was into older classic boats and you can view some of my hatteras pictures on the Hatteras web site....

In the smaller boat range I research Carver, Searay....

K

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 02 2009 at 09:34 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Thanks so much for the intel guys! This helps a lot! If the side to side is common to Silverton then I must run away! My wife is prone to sea sickness. 

Edited by NoGin on March 02 2009 at 09:35

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 02 2009 at 10:19 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

I think I'm going to pass on the 1980 26 foot Carver as well. It only has steering from the bridge which has no cover. I would need to enclose it and from what I have found, that can get quite expensive.

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 02 2009 at 12:41 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Then again ......... maybe not! The owner who owns a boat trailer shop tells me he can have a brand new full enclosure made for the bridge for around $1k. Is this realistic? If so she may be a good buy!

Can anyone enlighten me as to how the 1980's 26 - 28 foot Carvers sail? I am looking for a boat that will cut through the water and ride smooth in the Long Island Sound and up the coast.

Bob on this
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 24 2009 at 19:10 | IP Logged Quote Bob on this

Boy, I might get slammed for this, but here gos:

A 28 - 30+ foot boat as a "first" boat?

Gees, I've been boating for 30 years, and have owned 6 boats, the largest is a 28' Carver, and even that boat, with twin inboards, was intimitating.

I just think some "helm time" should be had before someone jumps into a large boat and goes "up the coast".....

Sorry, just my 2 cents worth

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 24 2009 at 19:38 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

2 cents well taken .... however, just because it's my first bought doesn't mean it's my first time at the helm!

Out'nAbout
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 24 2009 at 20:33 | IP Logged Quote Out'nAbout

My first boat was a 31 ft flybridge (wood) 1 eng. I was 21. Not one problem as I learned how to drive her myself. Its just confidence.

Back to Top Printable version View Out'nAbout's Profile Search for other posts by Out'nAbout

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 24 2009 at 20:35 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Quote: Out'nAbout
My first boat was a 31 ft flybridge (wood) 1 eng. I was 21. Not one problem as I learned how to drive her myself. Its just confidence.

AMEN brother!!

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 24 2009 at 23:52 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

I did ski boats for years, then jumped into my first big boat with a Carver 32 Aft Cabin.  Helm time is important with any new boat to get the feel.  And remember, it is always wise to go show around the docks.

I thought going from a single with a morse throttle/shifter to separate controls on dual engines was pretty easy and appreciated the maneuverability improvment - duals are fantastic.  As you are already comfortable with the water, I think you'll be fine.

1k for full bridge enclosure sounds a little low to me.  But it is a good idea as it will lengthen your season - even if just sitting at the dock.

Your hull is a "Modified Vee", like mine, which means it's a compromise between chop slicing and quick planing.  Deeper Vees are more comfortable but I think you'll be sufficiently comfortable.  I usually don't go out too often with more than 3-footers, but am very comfortable with 2's to 3's.  The eastern shore of Lake Michigan can get every bit as rough and confused as, maybe moreso than, what you'll have.

You are going to have a great summer!!!!

Ron

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 25 2009 at 06:57 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

Thanks Ron!

glpowercruiser
"Seaman"

Posted: March 25 2009 at 09:41 | IP Logged Quote glpowercruiser

Have you made a decision yet Joe?

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 25 2009 at 09:49 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

I bought the 1971 31' CC Commander with a Fly Bridge! I have had her for a few weeks and have done some good work. Did an engine compression test on her twin 327qs which showed a strong consistent 180 lbs. I have done some wire clean up and decided to re-wire all electric to modern standards after getting the twins fired up and running strong. Much more to do as well but we are off to a great start!

NoGin
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 25 2009 at 09:52 | IP Logged Quote NoGin

.. I also bought a very good condition used flybridge enclosure! It will fit my bridge nicely with some minor alterations. The biggest thing is the front has no windshield, just solid fabric. I'm going to have to change that for some windshield so I don't sail blind! LoL

]
] ]
2 Pages 1 2

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version