View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Electronic inigition Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 05 2008 at 17:36 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Guys: Well I hope the storms miss everyone!Been there and done that! Not a lots of fun to be in the water 8 hours.Ha 1993 got Suwannee Real good guess it could have been worse.
Well my thread  which I am off of:::I finally got the problem located I think I am having with the engine. Seems like not getting spark to the distributor as it goes from the coil to this little plug in modgular and then to the distributor. A mechanic told me the plug in mogular piece was bad. UGH that is a 450.00 piece...So I am wondering if I should change to electronic ignition instead of the 1984 stuff which is Mercrusier.Any one got input on that change and cost of switching to electronic ingition which would probably be mallory type stuff. I don't know very much about  the electicial part of the engine.Thanks,Bill
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 05 2008 at 17:43 | IP Logged Quote floater251

SwanneeBill,

going to check with my master mechanic on monday, might be simpler than we think. hes been trying to talk me into putting a older style H E I gm distributer in. he was going to do it for me this fall. i'll ask him what all is to it.

floater

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 05 2008 at 17:54 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Floater: Thanks for the reply!! I have a 350 260HP GM 5.7  which is a new long block which came from Michigan Motorz's  and I am using all the stuff that I got here and there  old intake and new carb.The distributor came off a 88 model but is same as what I had and it was running but when I took it to the lake for sea trials I never could get it to start.I have a shade tree mechanic up the street and he said  no fire to the distributor  thinking the mogule in the dis tributor was bad I took it oof and went to Auto parts place and they said they could check it so the sent me up the street to a boat mechanic.He said he couldn't check it unless the system was complete  but the modgule in the dis tributor wasn't usually bad it was the other electronic part which is a high dollar part. I think I want to change to electronic ignition system and  was trying to find out about the cost and what was inviolved. Thanks I though maybe some one else had made the change..Hope all is well..... See Ya, Bill
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: September 05 2008 at 18:51 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Bill,

I've never had a problem with Mercruiser's Thunderbolt Ign system.  I would go along with the Master Mechanic on that.  Whether distributor mounted or Manifold mounted, the wiring for these modules are the same. Differance being only where they're mounted.

By the book here's the connections:

Purple wire coming out of #5 pin on the main harness is the 'I' from the Ing. switch.

Thru the main engine harness, Purple #5 connects to the Positive side of the coil, then continues on to the Ign. Module. Make sure you have Positive 12vdc voltage at the coil and ign module (use a pin to penetrate the insulation and an alagator clipped to the voltmeter) to see voltage there when the Ign switch is on in the 'I' position.

wht/red and white/green wires (rotor sensor) coming out of the side of the distributor and go to the IGN module.

Gray wire out of the module goes to the Negitive side of the coil.

Black lead out of the module is ground.

Carefully check the condition of the connector and its pins if your unit is the Distributor mounted type- they can get bent out of alignment.

I never give up until I'm positive about the Ignition voltage getting to the coil and the module. Then I move on- possibly the rotor sensor.

Diver

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 05 2008 at 19:03 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Roy: Thanks very much for the information.Mine is manifold mounted and it was working great but I didn't crank the engine for about 3 months and when we took it to the water it would not hit at all. I had heard that Mallory electronic was the way to go in changing the system. That manifold part of the system is very pricey indeed.I have a spare one that I don't know if it is good or not as it was on the manifolds I bought and Fed _x damaged a it in shipping.I would not ship a anvil with them.Boy they really messed me up big time on a tranny.lost half of it and never would do any thing about it.

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 07 2008 at 10:04 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Guys: Well still working on the ignition problem. I have had a shade tree mechanic working with me on it and looks like the  module in the distributor is the culprit.I have had to order a new one as no one around here to check it .I went to several parts places and none could check it. and they don't have any marine numbers to compare with regular GM stuff which I would say it is the same part.
I will have to wait till later in the week when the part arrives as I had to order it out of Florida.O'well I have plenty of work to do! I am beginning to think my boat is afraid of the water  as it has been 5 years since it has been wet.Ha See Ya,Bill

PS I checked into changing the system to electronic inigiton system and decided to fit what is there.Cost a lot to change it and I am still wanting to go up in size to a CC 38 sedan which I think is a real cool boat.

Brian2008
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 24 2008 at 06:18 | IP Logged Quote Brian2008

Electronic inigition-  The WB RID as my dinghy. I thought it would be fun to sail around the small harbors I frequent with the larger boat. 10 ft walker bay boat is brand new and comes with a 10 year warranty. the 2.5 tohatsu motor comes with a 3 year warranty and has an inboard fuel tank.
======================================
Brian

Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.

4thdimension1@gmail.com

Back to Top Printable version View Brian2008's Profile Search for other posts by Brian2008

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version