View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Transmission ratio Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 04 2008 at 08:21 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Mates: Back again with another question??? As you know the original tranny that was n the 280 was a 1.52 to 1 series 71C behind a 305 Chevy Mercrusier.
The tranny was toast as it wasn't pickled after going down in a cane in Fla and sat for a long time with sea water in Motor and Tranny which I have replaced both. I put in a new 350   260HP and bought a tranny off e bay and had it rebuilt however it is not the same ratio as the old one. The new one is a 72C series and the ratio is 1.91 to 1 and the tranny is 3/4 inch longer than the old one  and it did fit in and hook up. I am still worrying about it. I had never had the boat in the water as it is on stands in my yard so I could rebuild it.Think it will work OK?As I read the tranny I installed is rated for gas engines over 300 HP.Thanks,Bill
The boat is a CC 280  1984 model
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: June 04 2008 at 10:40 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Suwanneered,

You may have this info already but check out this link:   http://www.perfprotech.com/store/App_Themes/PPT/images/tech- specs/VD_Inline.pdf

It describes the 71 vs. 72.

The only thing I cannot locate are the implications of changing the ratio.  I would guess that it is similar to a car's differential/rear end.  If that is the case regarding automotive, tire size would come into play (larger or smaller diameter tire would change the final drive ratio) so would the props pitch (which is equivalent to distance traveled) may need to be reviewed.

I wrote to one of the marine tranny shops on line asking them on the CC application what the differences are between the 71 and 72 and the different gear ratios.   I'll post their reply as soon as received.

How close s the prop to the rudder?  I know on mine it is pretty close and 3/4" may not make the two meet, but it would be too close for my comfort as mine are about 1.5" apart.

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: June 04 2008 at 12:10 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Tom,

Your right on the implications for the propeller pitch. The 1.9 to 1 ration means for every 1.9 turn on the engine, there's one turn on the prop. This means more torque with higher RPMs across the board . Adding pitch to compensate is really the only variable. Props on 280s are pretty close to the hull, so be sure there's no cavitation at the highter RPMs that your setup might experience- loud bubbly/popping sounds at speed usually means cavitation. We had this problem and used a smaller diameter prop so it wasn't as close to the hull. We increased pitch to compensate. The complication is that your using a transmission out of spec, so trial and error to get the right prop setup may be called for. Driveline alignment is critical. If out of the water for some time, wooden boats were allowed to sit in the water so the hull could settle B4 alignment. Fiberglass is more rigid but doing the algnment in the water is always a good idea, especially if the drivetrain is newly installed- I would recommend a pro do this. 

On the singles at least, the rudder is located so the prop can easily be removed. You will note the rudder flange is slightly off center.

The diffenence between the 71&72 seriesis horsepower rating. The 72s being rated for higher Hp. The 71s handle the 350. From my research, the newer 71 models (10-17-006) also a higher pressure transmission fluid pump, resulting in more efficient power flow.

Enough of my gab...hope this helps...

Roy

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: June 04 2008 at 22:05 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Tom: Thanks for the reply and also Diver Yates! I talked with a prop shop and they said according to the computer I needed a 17 inch prop whic will not fit on the CC280. I have a 16 inch prop and mounted it and it clears the bottom about 1 1/4 inches and clears the rudder by 3/4 to 1 inch.I know that is close but O don't want to cut the shaft off until I see if the 72 series Tranny will work or not. It is 3/4 longer than the 71 series the difference is in the rear flange part and it fit the foot print of the old tranny just like the 71 but I had the lower the rear of the engine and tranny to hook up to the shaft If I cut the shaft off before I know  if the 72 will work it will be to short for a 71 series if the tranny I have installed don't work for some reason.
Since I hooked it up it spins in the new cutless bearing fairly easy. So maybe it will work.The tranny deal had been a thorn ever since I started trying to replace it. I will let you know how it works out when I get it in the water in about a month or so.Thanks a lot,Bill
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version