View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Helms
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Helms
Subject Topic: Helms 25 handling Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
EWayne
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 09 2007 at 09:46 | IP Logged Quote EWayne

Well its 20 degrees and 2" of new snow on the ground and I want to go sailing. Next best thing is to talk and think about sailing. So I was wondering how a Helms 25 handles rough conditions. I remember a thread of a member that was sailing to Bermuda and lost his Tuna in a knockdown. I'd like to here more about how the boat handled in those various conditions.
My roughest in my short experience so far was a day trip off the Delaware coast in the Atlantic. The day started out with very little wind and ended up with the a couple of hours with a 15 (gusts to 20) kt wind producing 3' seas with white caps. Waves were about 7 seconds apart. Typical for the ocean with that breeze. It was a SE wind and I had to beat into it with several long tacks to get to my destination, Indian River Inlet. I was very pleased with how KJ handled this wave action. I was healing about 15 degrees and was cutting through the 3 footers easily with little spray. The boat seamed solid and we were not thrown around. I had the 100% or 110% lapper jib up (Original working jib that came with the boat I think) and the main was full. I had to have the traveler all the way out and have alot of curl in the sail plus point as close into the wind as possible to stop from healing too much. Centerboard was about 3/4 of the way down (about 12 turns on my winch. It has a reduction gear in it. More centerboard didn't help the heel and weather helm was best at 3/4) I should have taken a reef on the main, but I was a couple of miles from the inlet and made due with what I had. If I was going to be out in it longer, it would have been nice to have a smaller jib and a reef in the main (I only have one reef in my main). When I got to the inlet, I let down all the sails and motored through. I planned the trip to arrive at dead low tide so there was no current and therefore no breakers at the entrance to the inlet. I did notice a big difference in the way the boat motion was without sails up. I was tossing around allot. Next time I think I'll keep the main up with a reef as I motor to keep the motion of the boat better. Itís amazing how the sails made the boat feel more stable.
Well that was my short experience in not too bad conditions. Now your turn. How does she handle in 4' or 5' seas of different duration? I only beat into 3 footers. How is she in a following sea?

I'm looking forward to your stories!!

Wayne

Helms 25, 1976, #552
Back to Top Printable version View EWayne's Profile Search for other posts by EWayne

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version