View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chaparral
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chaparral
Subject Topic: Chap 290 Sig vs. FW Vista 298 Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
perryberry
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 06 2007 at 15:41 | IP Logged Quote perryberry

Looking to purchase my first cruiser and I'm torn from looking on the internet and browsing at boat shows the past two years...

I really like the layout of the Chap. but can you sleep two adults comfortably in the forward berth with the table down?

The closest Chap dealer is 10 miles away and the closet dealer for the Four Winns is 60 miles away. Would you choose a Chap because of this reason alone?

The FW has an extra 6 inches of beam. Isn't that huge for a boat this size?

Anything in particular to look for on an '04 290 when I get ready to buy?

Thanks in advance,

Perry
Back to Top Printable version View perryberry's Profile Search for other posts by perryberry

oneboatnut
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 06 2007 at 21:55 | IP Logged Quote oneboatnut

Wife and I looked hard at the Chap 290 but went with the 310. To answer your question about sleeping two adults in the forward berth with the table down, the answer is yes. We really liked the 290 but here are the reasons we did not purchase the 290.

1. Bathroom is small

2. No trash recepticle in the cockpit

3. We wanted a permanent forward berth

We really liked the 290 and I do not want to discourage you but if any of the above items are a deal breaker, you may want to conisder the 288 FourWinns. Now as far as having a dealer 60 miles away, that should be a huge concern since you will need thier support to address new boat issues. Its a tough call so I recommend you go look at each one very closely. Good luck

Back to Top Printable version View oneboatnut's Profile Search for other posts by oneboatnut

perryberry
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 07 2007 at 08:59 | IP Logged Quote perryberry

Thanks so much for the reply...

I'm looking at an '03 Chap 300 also...The forward berth is permanent and seems A LOT bigger than the 290??? BUT I like the 290 forward berth setup a little better right now because it "seems" less crowded than the permanent bed on the Chap 300 and FW 298...

Please feel free to email me directly to give me more advice...I can sure use it...

Perry

perryberry@aol.com

Back to Top Printable version View perryberry's Profile Search for other posts by perryberry

AfterMath
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 08 2007 at 06:37 | IP Logged Quote AfterMath

We had a  different take on the fixed berth.
Obviously the biggest downside of the around 30' express cruiser is the cabin's tight quarters with few seating options.  The versatility of having the front berth area serve a dual purpose was a benefit.  There is more seating available and you don't have to look at a bed when down below (that is a real turn-off for us). 

oneboatnut
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 08 2007 at 13:33 | IP Logged Quote oneboatnut

Quote: perryberry

Thanks so much for the reply...

I'm looking at an '03 Chap 300 also...The forward berth is permanent and seems A LOT bigger than the 290??? BUT I like the 290 forward berth setup a little better right now because it "seems" less crowded than the permanent bed on the Chap 300 and FW 298...

Please feel free to email me directly to give me more advice...I can sure use it...

I am not sure which berth is bigger. I am 5'9" and can touch the end of the berth with my toes when lying down in my 310. The aft cabin is a good size also and has an open feel to it (no coffin effect). I dont feel the 310 is crowded with the forward bed IMO. We can sit 4 adults in the dinette and 4+ more in the aft with the table setup. The 290 is best for entertaining many guests in the cabin which we do not do. We spend every weekend on our boat so having to drop the table and convert to a bed each night would be too much of a hassle. Another issue with the 290 is the TV placement. We felt it was too far away to watch from the forward berth. The differences are huge between the 300 and the 290 so you really need to get on both to help with your decision. Both are really great boats

Back to Top Printable version View oneboatnut's Profile Search for other posts by oneboatnut

oneboatnut
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 08 2007 at 13:36 | IP Logged Quote oneboatnut

Quote: AfterMath
We had a  different take on the fixed berth.
Obviously the biggest downside of the around 30' express cruiser is the cabin's tight quarters with few seating options.  The versatility of having the front berth area serve a dual purpose was a benefit.  There is more seating available and you don't have to look at a bed when down below (that is a real turn-off for us). 

This is what our front bed looks like, not that bad eh?

AfterMath
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 09 2007 at 14:53 | IP Logged Quote AfterMath

oneboatnut,

I did not mean to offend you (I am thinking I may have done so after seeing the qoute and your pic).  My intent was to present a different view that someone might consider as we also went back n forth on our purchase.  At the time we were looking at the Four Winns 298?, Cruisers 3075, and the Chaps.

Your points are valid on the bathroom (our next boat will have more here) and lack of a trash receptacle (we have considered adding a trash receptacle in the flip up stair by a slight modification).

This may sound cheesy, but my wife (girlfriend back then) and I spent time on each boat going through the motions of a normal boating day.  I believe it helped us choose.

We also considered that there is only two of us and we use the aft-cabin for sleeping.  We rarely ever convert the front to a berth (I guess it could go the other way leaving it it as a berth).  When rafting up for the evening we are often the host boat and utilize the interior seating.  For us, the view of a bed (no matter how attractive) was not something we wanted while preparing meals or entertaining.  This is solely a personal thing - or maybe a personal quirk.

The bed thing has really stuck with us as we think about our next boat.  We find that we desire a stateroom with a cabin door with the other must have, a separate shower in the head.  It looks as if we may be moving out of the express cruiser style and most likely into a sedan bridge boat.

oneboatnut
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 09 2007 at 15:05 | IP Logged Quote oneboatnut

No offense taken, I completely understand your point of view. Its all in what our needs are. This may sound strange but my wife sleeps in the aft and I sleep in the forward berth. I guess we are used to sleeping in a king size bed at home so we value our space ;-) We each have our own TV in the boat and I can sprawl, toss and turn all I want without waking her up. We also talked about moving up to a sedan bridge but I dont know if I am there yet. I have enough trouble keeping my 31 clean, I cant imagine cleaning a giant sedan bridge every week.

AfterMath
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 09 2007 at 15:58 | IP Logged Quote AfterMath

Glad to know all is well, I see so many flames on the regular forum that I was worried.  You do not sound strange at all - there are times I wish my wife would allow me to have my own bed (no matter how large the bed is I get a mere 18 inch strip).  I am with you on the cleaning, I now consider cleaning the boat my summer fitness plan. 

Edited by AfterMath on May 09 2007 at 15:58
Back to Top Printable version View AfterMath's Profile Search for other posts by AfterMath

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version