View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

CraigCat
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>CraigCat
Subject Topic: Any CraigCat Owners? Post ReplyPost New Topic
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 01 2011 at 16:03 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Welcome to the group SWSportsman.  There are a lot of used Craigcats out there with very little time on them at super low prices.

It is not uncommon to find a used one for $3-5k.  I paid $2,500 for a brand new (old stock...2003) leftover.

I've never had as much fun on any other boat.  This even includes one of my past boats which cost $80k..(a Warlock 25' cat).

Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 01 2011 at 19:34 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Welcome SW what state are you located? I bought my '05 last year for $3500 and was in excellent condition. Motor probably had less than 50 hours use. Check Craig's list and Ebay for the bargain. Hope you find one that you like.

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 01 2011 at 19:44 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm located on Lake Murray in S.C.

I'm going tomorrow (Saturday) to look at one. It's supposed to be a 1998 boat purchased new in 2002 with a 2002 Mercury 25hp two-stroke. It's the classic model so doesn't have the frills of the Elite, but looks really clean in the photos. Supposedly used less than 20 hours and in enclosed storage for 7 years. Seems to have everything I would want except trim & tilt. Was advertised for $3400 but he's already down to $2500 with one phone call, so we'll see.

I have lots of boating experience (over 50 years worth!) but none with Craig Cats. Anything in particular I should look for on a used one?

Thanks.

Edited by SWSportsman on July 02 2011 at 06:52
Back to Top Printable version View SWSportsman's Profile Search for other posts by SWSportsman

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 01 2011 at 20:03 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

Photobucket

Photobucket

Edited by SWSportsman on July 01 2011 at 21:21
Back to Top Printable version View SWSportsman's Profile Search for other posts by SWSportsman

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 01 2011 at 20:47 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Check steering cable because grease on cable could be old and hard to steer. Check the six nylon bolts that hold the platform to the pontoons. Factory recommends replacing every three years unless you replace with the stainless bolts. See if water pump is peeing good and check the lower gear oil for water contamination. Other than that if the motor starts enjoy the ride.

Does it come with a trailer?

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 01 2011 at 21:06 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

Yep, original galvanized trailer.

I'll let y'all know tomorrow if the deal goes through.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 02 2011 at 01:17 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

BUY IT! 

Only thing I would do is get the factory Craigcat upgraded seats.  They look great and are a lot more comfortable.

Possibly run a little Seafoam through the engine too.  A Powertech 12'' S.S prop would also make it scoot around very quickly.

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on July 02 2011 at 01:19
Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 02 2011 at 06:53 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

Mr. SH, I thought from reading the above that you were a ComProp fan. Do you think the Powertech performs even better and worth the cost?

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 02 2011 at 08:09 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

floridaman, have you installed your bolt kit yet? If so, was it easy to do? How much does CC charge for the bolts? Not something you could just buy locally?

newfields
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 02 2011 at 10:55 | IP Logged Quote newfields

Quote: floridaman

Check steering cable because grease on
cable could be old and hard to steer.

Does it come with a trailer?

What do you do in that case?

I have a 2006 Craigcat.

I am fully aware of the cavitation issue and trying to steer when at
high speeds.

My problems it is difficult to move even when stopped and out of the
water. Pulling back on the EZ Stick steering rod takes 2 hands and a
lot
of effort.

I've read conflicting things on this. Some saying the EZ stick system
should never be lubricated. I am wondering if he previous owner did
and it
messed it up or if in fact I should change the grease on it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Tim
Back to Top Printable version View newfields's Profile Search for other posts by newfields

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 02 2011 at 14:46 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Quote: SWSportsman
Mr. SH, I thought from reading the above that you were a ComProp fan. Do you think the Powertech performs even better and worth the cost?

I'm a HUGE Comprop fan but only due to my situation and price of replacement.  I run my boat in VERY skinny water at times (2 feet deep) in the Colorado River.

The Powertech 12'' S.S prop was specifically designed for the Mercury 25 hp 2 stroke and is the best prop available today for that engine.  It is also $200.00 vs $60.00 for the composite Comprop.

Since I can EASILY munch my prop (and have several times) due to the unpredictable depth of the river, it would be  stupid to run a $200 prop that I would possibly destroy my first outing with.

If I were consistently if deeper water (say just 5 feet or deeper), I would only run the Powertech 12'' (NOT 13 since S.S is heavier) prop.  This is the best prop that Eric and Bud Craig both reccommend.

Also, just FYI, like many other people with the older model boats using the Mercury 25 hp 2 stroke, I experience the difficult left turns as well.  Since the boat turns to the right very easily, I just end up making mostly right turns.  Problem solved;  Sort of!

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 02 2011 at 17:04 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

I got it! She's sitting in the driveway now. I'm going to have to go over a few things first, but hope to have her on the lake Sunday or Monday. The prop has been dinged pretty good, so I talked the seller into reducing the price another $100 to cover it.

Overall, looks like a pretty decent deal so far.

Edited by SWSportsman on July 02 2011 at 18:59

newfields
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 02 2011 at 19:09 | IP Logged Quote newfields

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the Craigcat family.

I literally just took mine for spin with my son about 20 minutes ago.
We had a summer kick off get together this afternoon with neighbors.
3 different people mentioned it and want their own.

We live on a fairly decent size lake (7.5 miles from top to bottom).

My son was disappointed when I went to dock it for the night. He
wanted to jump more wakes ;-)

Tim
Back to Top Printable version View newfields's Profile Search for other posts by newfields

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 02 2011 at 19:36 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

SW congrats on your purchase. I too have a stainless steel prop but it came with the boat. I just changed the bolts today but my wife had to help me. She was laying on her back with a wrench to hold the lock washer from turning and I was tightening from the top. The bolts are $105 from CC and they come as a kit with the square washer, bolt, round washer, and lock nut. The bolt diameter is slightly smaller than the nylon bolts so they had a nylon sleeve to keep the bolt from wobbling around in the hole.

Since I have not used the CC for several months I tried to crank it up today and the battery was dead and would not take a charge. So off to Wally world for a new battery. The old one was a riding mower battery (not original), so I just bought the same one and it was $25. I think the original battery is a motorcycle battery but they cost more than $25. I will try to take the CC out tomorrow since the forcast is for a nice and hot day here in Florida. You guys have a nice 4th of July day!

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 02 2011 at 19:51 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Quote: newfields

Check steering cable because grease on
cable could be old and hard to steer.

What do you do in that case?

I have a 2006 Craigcat.

I am fully aware of the cavitation issue and trying to steer when at
high speeds.

My problems it is difficult to move even when stopped and out of the
water. Pulling back on the EZ Stick steering rod takes 2 hands and a
lot
of effort.

I've read conflicting things on this. Some saying the EZ stick system
should never be lubricated. I am wondering if he previous owner did
and it
messed it up or if in fact I should change the grease on it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Tim

I disconnected the cable on both ends and spayed it with a product called PB Blaster which loosens up the old hard grease. I push and pulled on the cable and wiped off the old grease. Also spray the tube where tha cable goes into on the motor and work it back and forth untill you get rid of the old grease. I had some rust on my cable and sanded it with wet sand paper. I guess I could have bought a new cable from CC but I am cheap. Put grease on the plastic control box but spray the cable and tube with WD 40 so it does not get hard. CC says their cable is made for the CC and cannot be bought elsewhere.

Make sure the little trim tab on the bottom of the motor is to the right of center. Also you can grind down the shaft of the trim tab to get it to turn more to the right. With a loose steering cable and the trim tab to the right your stick steering should be able to stay straight without holding  on to it and you can steer with three finger just like a car that has a perfect front wheel alighnment.

Edited by floridaman on July 02 2011 at 20:03

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 03 2011 at 18:05 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Congrats on getting the Craigcat SWSportsman.  You will have a ton of fun with it.

One of my favorite things to do is surf other (larger boats) wakes.  If you catch the wave just right, it is similar to surfing....(only seated,  listening to tunes and hauling a cooler!).

Clean the boat with simple green and fine sandpaper if you ever need to.  Change the lower gear oil every season and you're pretty much good to go.  Spraying down and lubricating the cables as floridaman suggested is also a good idea.

The reason some people say don't lubricate is because if you lube and don't wipe off cables good you will actually attract dust/grime to the sticky lube; over time possibly making things worse.  Just lube good and wipe off.

How about everyone posting up some more pics?

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 04 2011 at 00:26 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

Hello everybody,

I too just replaced my nylon deck bolts with th3e stainless ones from CC.  It went pretty fast but you will need someone to hold one end of the bolt to keep it from turning during installation.  It is almost impossible to reach both ends at the same time.  Also, I had to jostle the boat on the trailer a bit to access the two rear bolts but no big deal.  I'm changing my lower unit oil in the AM and hitting the Santee Cooper lakes in the PM. 

Carolina Kitty

3 DOG
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 04 2011 at 18:12 | IP Logged Quote 3 DOG

I have a 2000 Craigcat and have a hoist system on my boat so it acts as a tender. We use it more than the larger boat. In order to make it lighter I got rid of the 25 hp merc and tried two different 4 strokes. I have a 6 hp merc and it pushes it about 4 to 5 knots but it is a wet ride in a little chop. I then tried a 9.8 Tahashu 4 stroke and found that was the best ride with two people as it keeps the nose up more due to the increased weight and power. Pushes us about 5.5 knots. I have a tiller on the motor but I purchased a TeleFlex transom mount and support tube and hooked up the stick steering. It bolted up to either motor and steers like a charm. The 25 merc has a steel pivot tube and it rusts so that is one of the reasons why a lot of people find the steering is hard. The new tube is aluminum so I just put teflon lube in the tube.

I just had a problem with the tank that came with the boat. Both motors would stall out after a few minutes of ruining. I replaced the fuel line and bulb but it still happened. I changed the tank and it fixed the problem Couldn't find the 6 gal Quicksliver one so I went to a 12 gal tank. To keep the weight down I only keep about 4 gals in the tank.

Edited by 3 DOG on July 04 2011 at 18:24
Back to Top Printable version View 3 DOG's Profile Search for other posts by 3 DOG

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 04 2011 at 19:05 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I took the cat out yesterday on the intercoastal waterway with my wife. My son had his 20 foot center console out also with his wife and two kids. We were heading for a sand bar to swim and chill. After about a half hour into the trip my 10 year old grand son wanted to ride in the cat and trade seats with grandma on the bigger boat. My grandson wanted to do the steering because it was fun to jump the waves caused by other boats. There was a lot of boat traffic due to the holiday. My CC steering is working so good that he had no problem keeping it on course. Have you guys been able to fix that hard steering problem yet? Nice and sunny here this weekend in Florida.

Edited by floridaman on July 04 2011 at 19:09

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 04 2011 at 22:27 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

How do you post pictures in this forum?

Edited by floridaman on July 04 2011 at 22:38

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 05 2011 at 04:02 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

How do you post pictures in this forum?

1.) Your digital pictures can be hosted online. I use www.photobucket.com  It's free.

2.) Upload your digital pics to a host like photobucket and simply copy and paste the direct image link to this site. It is the one that starts with [IMG].

That's it.

Action shots/videos get extra credit!

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 05 2011 at 04:09 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Just a quick pic of our cat on the Colorado River. Nice crystal clear water always too.

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on July 05 2011 at 04:11

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 05 2011 at 10:35 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Nice clean water. Our intercoastal water is dark brown except at the mouth of the inlets that lead out to the ocean. Our lakes are also brown from tanic acid and swimming is not good because of the gators. The only clean water I know in my area is on the rivers that are fed by underground springs. Those are crystal clear and bottled water companies tap them for their water. The West side of the state has the gulf of Mexiico and water quality is much better and clearer than the Atlantic ocean side. The Florida keys however has nice clean ocean water which is great for snorkeling or diving and lots of coral reefs with wild life.

newfields
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 05 2011 at 10:56 | IP Logged Quote newfields

My 2006 Craigcat on 4th of July. Lake Winnisquam New Hampshire. The lake is about 4,200 acres and 7.5 miles end to end.

I saw another Craigcat on this lake that day. My wife saw it being trailored by a Honda Accord on the highway. Theirs had a blue top while mine is red.

That is the only other CC I have seen on this lake besides mine

Also for any new Craigcat owners, these two Youtube videos are worth checking out. They are overviews by Eric Craig. Veteran CC owners likely know all of this but its a good start point for new users:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYgEmBZhZUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8aECpa0WMY

(For some reason the URL link feature isn't working when I try to make those live links. You will have to copy and paste it into your browser).

Tim

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 05 2011 at 11:21 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I found this on Craigs list and it has different boat seats and stereo setup.

Photobucket" border="0" />

Photobucket" border="0" />

Edited by floridaman on July 05 2011 at 11:22

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 05 2011 at 14:16 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Floridamans pics reminded me of something.  Here in Arizona, we are required to have life jackets on board for all occupants on the boat.  The law only states that the life jackets be "on board" but not worn.  What we do is bring along 2 (for my wife and myself) waterski type life jackets and fold them in half and place them just behind the seats.

This makes for an extra comfy ride as the backrest of the seats are supported by the cushy life jackets between the seats and the rear rack.  Plus, it keeps them out of the way as space is at a premium.

Of course, it goes without saying that the safety factor of not even having them on is pretty much zero but if your just putting around and such......

Also, my boat came with all the accerssories like the splash guard (a nice feature in cold water) and also the side wing platform shelf things.  I didn't mount the side shelf things as I want to keep the weight to an absolute minimum and did not want an excuse to haul around more stuff.

If anyone really wants those side shelf platforms, I could be talked into selling them at a fair price.  The front splash guard doesn't really weigh anything and comes in real handy in the mid afternoon chop.  Keeps you MUCH dryer.

newfields
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 05 2011 at 17:39 | IP Logged Quote newfields

SH, I have sent a PM about the wing shelfs if they are still available.

Thanks,  Tim

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 05 2011 at 18:21 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

I've now put about 6 hours on the new 'Cat over the last 3 days and have some observations to relate:

1. It's fun!!

2. It's rough as hell in rough water!

3. The base model seats suck...big time! They have to go soon. Any of y'all bought replacements other than the uber-expensive CC's?

4. Fuel consumption for the Merc 25 2-stroke is WAY MORE than 1 gal per hour (at least when you're having fun!).

5. It takes a long time to get on plane with 2 adults aboard. Probably around 30 seconds, but seems much longer.

6. Nothing at all wrong with my steering cable as it moves very freely while standing still. The torque steer or whatever it is called is very evident when running, either slow or fast. Interestingly, moving the trim tab to right, left, or center seems to have absolutely no effect on mine. It just takes a lot more muscle to steer left than right.

7. The 25 Merc makes the boat plenty fast! I didn't take it out with the GPS yet, but with one person aboard, full throttle is plenty sporty for me.

8. I've got water inside my pontoons!!! Noticed at the end of the day that the rear ends of the pontoons appeared to be a little pinkish in color. When I pressed on the plastic it would move in slightly and you can see liquid inside moving around. Anyone else with this problem? The way the boat performs I can't believe it has a lot of water in it, but I'm concerned. Will the foam the CC uses absorb water? This seems to be just under the top skin, like it's bubbled up just slightly.

Overall, I'm pleased and excited about my purchase, but new seats and a drybox of some kind are next on the list of must-haves.

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 05 2011 at 22:08 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

The 1 gallon per hour I think can be achieved if you only had one rider and a half tank of gas with no other weight. I forgot my gps the last time out so I do not know my speed.

SW you can try and tilt the motor up a little bit to raise your nose up to make you plane a little quicker. You just have to try the different settings to see which would suit you best without cavitating. Tilting it up might also help with the steering.

The seats you have are definitely not comfortable but I posted the photo of one that was for sale and the seat was from a another boat. I saw another one a while back that even had arm rests.

Call Craig Cat and ask them about the possible water on the pontoons and how to fix it. Also you can ask them about the hard steering maybe they can give you tips on what to do. I'm glad you are enjoying you cat and having fun.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 05 2011 at 23:52 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

SWSportsman, glad you had fun.  Your observations are spot on.  I get around 2- 2.5 galls per hour fuel consumption full thottle with 2 adults.  You need to plan your fuel stops when traveling distances.

You need to lose the base seats immediately as the upgraded ones are MUCH more comfortable.  I'm sure you could even find some cheaper ones at Cabellas online.

I don't know what prop you are running but the Powertech 12'' S.S will move you like a rocket!  If you are running anything else then lean forward as much as you can upon acceleration to move your weight forward until you plane out.  This will make a very noticable difference in plane time.  Once the boat planes out you just sit back again.  I do this every time I take off from a start as it makes a difference.

The water inside your pontoons could be a problem.  Try and find out where the water got in if possible.  The pontoons are made out ot high density polyethelyene and are now possible to repair with some high tech pre mixed epoxy specifically designed for polyethelyene.

You will need to find the leak spot as well as dry out the foam completely.  All I can think of is leave it outside in the sun until it becomes totally dry.  Then repair the leak with the epoxy.

One of my pontoons hit a piece of embedded rebar in shallow water and punctured the pontoon.  I successfully repaired the spot by adding a bit of new foam (in a can) and then epoxyed a polyethelene patch over the hole.  Later the patch was blended in with a high speed sander/grinder disc.  It is now almost unnoticeable.

Craigcat will tell you to buy new pontoons.  Hopefully you can find the leak, dry out the foam and repair the compromised area. 

Keep us posted.

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 06 2011 at 15:29 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

Mr. SH, Do you have a part number on the correct Power Tech prop for the Merc 25? The Power Tech website makes it difficult to determine. From other websites, I'm coming up with M25SRA3R12, a 3-blade prop.

Any suggestions for semi-permanent storage. I have the two "wings" on mine. Would a lockable tackle box be rugged enough? All the coolers I've seen are a little too large, difficult to mount and not lockable. I just want to store the boat paperwork, a minimal tool assortment and maybe a small first aid kit.

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 06 2011 at 15:51 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

In response to everyone having steering problems.  I bought my 2004 CC used and it had a small piece of stainless metal fixed to the right side of the skeg of the outboard.  Looks like a CC or Mecury factory addition to help the steering..  This apparently solves the hard steering problem experienced by some of you because my CC has always steered easily both directions.  I will try to take a photo and attach to this thread.  Looks like a simple solution to a hard steering problem.

Also, in regards to the lockable storage, Walmart sells lockable boat storage compartments that look like a plastic version of the old army ammo cans.  they come in Orange, White, or Olive Drab.  It is small (12 "X 9" X 6" "), lockable, watertight, and fits on the CC platform very well.  I think when I bought mine, it was only about $12.00 or so.  I put my registration, cell phone, wallet, $$, maps, GPS, Handheld VHS radio, etc in there before every trip.  It is easily accessable from the helm if needed.   If I leave the boat parked anywhere, I put a lock on this "storage locker" and my items are safe and secure.

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 06 2011 at 16:44 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

Thanks for the storage idea CK. I hate Mao-Mart, but may stop by and check it out.

Did you through-bolt it to the pad?

Edited by SWSportsman on July 06 2011 at 17:04

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 06 2011 at 16:53 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

SWSportsman, yes, you have the right part #.  My part number reads SRA3R12-M25.  It is their only S.S prop in a 10 '' hub with a 12'' pitch specifically designed for a Mercury 25 hp 2 stroke outboard.  I've been told by Bud & Eric Craig (Craigcat) that this is the best available prop for our motors.  Unless of course you munch your prop often (as I do), then cheap becomes an important criteria  (as in Cabellas comprop 4 blade 13'' for $60 bucks).

The acceleration using a S.S 12'' prop will be dramatically improved.  I also think you may end up in a better spot on the R.P.M gauge W.O.T (wide open throttle) which should be around 5500-6000 rpms.  Of course lots of things (like altitude) will make a big to huge difference in your engines performance.

The best advice I could give you is to install a very cheap tachometer (like an inexpensive tiny tach brand) and see what rpms you are running at W.O.T.  Then choose your prop based on that.

If you are running at low elevation (under 1000 ft or so) and you are not in shallow water with hidden obstacles then you should be using the Powertech prop mentioned for *ultimate* performance.  Lots of other choices will work, just not as good.  Also, the S.S prop is $200 bucks, not free like your current prop or $60 for a comprop.  Still, I would LOVE to run the S.S prop as I've heard the boat really takes off with that on it.  It technically should too so it better!

Carolinakitty has got a great suggestion for storage.  Hard to beat in fact.

http://www.getaprop.com/content-product_info/product_id-7578 /power_tech_multi_use_propeller_mercury.html

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 06 2011 at 20:15 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I bought two of the white storage boxes from CC. They were $19 with stainless washer and screws because I did not want one from Wallymart that has the orange color. I store paperwork, keys, and wallet on one and tools with a folding anchor and flares on the other. I ran out of gas when I first took it out and I had no anchor or paddle to pull me back to shore. Lucky that I floated close enough to some guys fishing off a boat dock and they casted a line to pull me to shore. I now carry all the safety equipment and also an orange telescoping plastic paddle. Also I carry two gallons of extra gas. The folding anchor looks like the one CC sells on their website but I shopped the internet and found them for less.

My motor has two holes on the bottom skeg that I suspect had the extra trim tab attached at one time because of the steering problem. In fact I bought a trim tab from EBay before I was able to fix the steering problem and since I did not need to use it I sold it back on EBay. The drink holder in the CC website looks neat but I just bought a folding plastic one for now but have not attached it yet. I would probably use double back tape to prevent drilling holes.

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 06 2011 at 20:23 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Do any of you guys have a nice stereo system that you could hear above the noise of a two cycle motor?  If you look at pictures of the new CC on their website they have a nice system and tool box that is like $500 but with the 4 cycle motor you could hear the music when running.

Mr Hunky, do you have a Tachometer on your boat?

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 06 2011 at 21:03 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

I also ran out of gas when I first took out my CC for the first time.  We had to swim to shore pulling the boat in tow while swimming.  Fortunately, we were on the Colorado river and it is not very wide.  The one gallon per hour claim is certainly not true W.O.T with two adults.  Realistically it is 2-2 1/2 per hour full speed.

Don't forget that full speed operation is the cleanest way to run these engines, especially for the enviroment.  W.O.T = less unburnt oil going into the water.  Just use a very good oil.  Many people like Amsoil.  I've used it and did notice a difference in smoke and possibly top speed.  Possibly wishful thinking, I'm not sure.

Floridaman I have not installed a tach yet but I want to when I have a little time.  It really is the best way to go in order to fine tune and dial in your specific boat under your specific conditions.

A heavy person can weigh way more more two skinny kids and elevation with these carburated engines can make an enormous difference in performance.  In Phoenix area lakes at an elevation of 1,300 ft my boat scoots along at around 27-28 mph.  I can tickle 30 mph at lower elevations with two adults under very good conditions.

In Flagstaff 2 hours away at an elevation of 7,000 feet, I can barely get on plane.  Sometimes it seems that it won't even plane at all it gets so loaded down.  Of course there are ways to correct for elevation changes like  swapping jet sizes in the carb and going down several notches in prop size but nothing will regain your lost horsepower.  Unless you buy the new Evinrude E-tech efi. ($5k) of course.

Everyone can benefit from installing a tach to dial in your rpms and prop size.  An engine that operates at full reccommended rpms is proped correctly and will have the best performance.

Other members have suggested using a TinyTach brand minio tach.  It is very cheap and installs super easily.  Just wrap a wire around the spark plug or install a sender to the gauge.

I need to do this. 

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 06 2011 at 21:29 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Found Tiny Tach on EBAY. My next project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TACHOMETER-HOURMETER-better-t han-tiny-tach-L-K-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3369451662QQit emZ220809467490QQptZMotorsQ5fAviationQ5fPartsQ5fGear

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: July 07 2011 at 00:45 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

That's perfect.  The closer you can get to 6000 rpms full throttle the better.  This will allow you to max out your boats performance by choosing the correct prop size for your load and elevation.

SWSportsman
"Seaman"

Posted: July 07 2011 at 14:00 | IP Logged Quote SWSportsman

BTW, how do you remove the stock seats? It doesn't seem readily apparent upon initial observation.

Mr. S.H., what kind of seats do you have on your boat? They look very comfy.

]
] ]
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version