View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

CraigCat
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>CraigCat
Subject Topic: Any CraigCat Owners? Post ReplyPost New Topic
13 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 11:53 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Hi Jim!

Welcome to the forum. Since you are in Florida see if you can visit the CraigCat office in Orlando and make arrangements for a test ride. See them at  http://craigcat.com/ . I caution you not to talk to the factory guys about doing modifications because they are touchy about that subject but as you can see in previous postings some members have modified their cats without any problems.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 25 2013 at 11:31

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 12:55 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

Jim,

You mentioned that you may be in the Chesapeake Bay area this summer.  I'm in Chesapeake Beach, MD and would be happy to take you for a ride if you are close!

Back to Top Printable version View Bayfront's Profile Search for other posts by Bayfront

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 13:06 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

i am currently building a new deck for my CC..it will stretch all the way to the front of the pontoons...it will allow me to fish/photograph from the very front as well as stop all splashing...it is made from foam instead of wood therefore weighing as much as the factory deck but twice the size...i am spreading the pontoon out 12" so that the motor can be raised w/o chopping up the pontoons...another advantage to that is being able to turn with the motor raised via jackplate...another design i added to compensate for the jackplate weight and the added weight of a 50hp two stroke, was to move the motor mount forward 6"...the seating is also modified front rear instead of side by side for one person use...i should have it in the water in a couple weeks...stand by! if it works as planned, adds more dry deck space and runs 40mph, i'll pop a mold for everyone! pics soon!
Back to Top Printable version View thebulldog's Profile Search for other posts by thebulldog

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 13:28 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

Back to Top Printable version View thebulldog's Profile Search for other posts by thebulldog

CraigCat
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 13:31 | IP Logged Quote CraigCat

Do us a favor and don't mention it is remotely related to the CraigCat.
Thanks,
Erik Craig
Craig Catamaran Corp.

www.craigcat.com
Back to Top Printable version View CraigCat's Profile Search for other posts by CraigCat

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 13:38 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

us being CC?
it uses all the CC parts except for the deck and motor...in fact the motor isnt even a necessary change...so really all it is is a modified deck with rearranged original cc parts!
i love my CC, i think its an awesome boat, i'm the biggest CC promoter in south florida!

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 17:45 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Here is a link to a Youtube video of a guy (possibly a Craigcat dealer in Quebec Canada) that put a Yamaha 50 hp 2 stroke outboard on his Craigcat.  At 158 lbs, that motor is actually 20 lbs LIGHTER than the new Evinrude etec 30 hp (according to Evinrudes website) so the weight is obviosly not a problem.  The engine torque/thrust is a different story however.  I'm not sure if the stress loads placed upon the entire boat and its connection points (especially the motor mount) can handle that kind of power and thrust loads.  Over time, probably not.

In any event, this guy did it and not only had two adults on board, but pulled two (2) skiers out of the water as well.  TWO!

Anyone considering this mod may want to also be aware that the older carburated 2 stroke engines will be illegal to operate on many federal waterways as of Jan 1st 2013 in compliance with the 2003  10 year phase out mandate.  I've personally thought of beefing up my Craigcats connecting points and engine mount to handle a 40 or 50 hp but two items kill this idea:

1.) The newer 3 star compliant direct injection engines are too heavy vs the older carb models for the current CC models.

2.) The use of the older (lighter) 2 stroke carburated engines will be phased out in less than a year on many federal waterways.  Possibly private ones too.  Check out the laws for the body of water you use your boat on to see what rules apply.

Solution: Build a little bit stouter version of this boat with just a little more capacity and buoyancy to hold a heavier engine ( 40-50 hp).  Use heavy gauge coils in lieu of the thru bolts between the deck and pontoons which will allow just a tiny bit of flex and significantly reduce the stress loads due to a little 'give'.  Also, in the very narrow section of the deck (which was made narrow to allow the boat to flex), consider using a heavy coil or even a gas filled shock (like a motorcycle suspension) which will keep the two halves hooked together under a predetermined spring rate but also allow movement and flex when needed. (compression and rebound)

I may just  make a prototype of this design as all the parts on this boat are readily available or can be easily made other than the rotmolded pontoons.  Even that you can have any plastic rotomolding company make a prototype of your plans for you for not too much money.

This new 'super-cat' would be more of a higher performance boat and would NOT be best suited for the rental, leisure market however.  We'll see.

Anyway, here's the guy with the Yamaha 50 hp outboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwq-1F_UOM0&list=UU-jJ7O_ f1qETGccrHWqgxKw&index=1&feature=plcp

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 25 2013 at 11:32

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 18:13 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

my new deck has the motor mount molded/glassed into the deck...stronger and no need for the aluminum piece...the guy in quebec got 38mph out of his and didnt even venture into motor height nor fancy props...i'm expecting 40mph or better

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 18:16 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

i'd really like to hear erik's opinion and see if anyone has tried these mods before

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 18:51 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Eric has already stated his *opinion* in that he does not want his boat associated with any mods.  I can't blame him as building/modifying any plans without any supporting engineering behind it could possibly end up getting someone hurt; or worse.

The current CC model is almost a perfect design for what it is intended to do.  I can only imagine that a large percentage of their sales is to resorts and rental fleets whom definately do NOT want a first time user going 40 mph with it. (Liability...pronounced lie-ah-billity!).

If you are interested in a 'super-cat' (something between the current Craigcat and a Zapcat), consider doing the supporting engineering behind it and build it (or have the calcs done and spec out the parts).   When I was a kid, I took off the 3 1/2 hp engine on my mini bike and replaced it with a 6 hp one.  Bottom line: It went MUCH faster than it originally did.  Of course, that caused the chain to fall off thereby locking up the rear wheel and launching me over the handlebars 20 feet.   The scars are still visible 40 years later, and I was very lucky!

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on April 05 2012 at 02:12
Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 18:56 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

one doesnt creat a fiberglass and foam deck with an integral motor mount w/o some educated engineering...myself and the two other gentlemen helping me with this project have a total of 60 years in the boat design, fiberglass, and racing marine industry...

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 19:02 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

the hydraulic jackplate and the 4 blade extreme cupped prop should make a huge difference

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 19:54 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

A few years ago when I started looking into Craigcats there was one for sale on EBay that had a 50hp motor. The complaint from the seller was the porpoising effect when he turned full wide open throttle. He admitted that he could not stop the porpoising and felt that it was over powered.

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 19:56 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

i took that into consideration...the jackplate and the 4 blade very cupped prop should stop that

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 19:59 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

Bulldog,

Keep us posted on what your finish product looks like with pictures and what kind of performance you get out of it.

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 02 2012 at 20:08 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

also, stabilizer fins help porpoising ALOT!

TWINS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 03 2012 at 06:24 | IP Logged Quote TWINS

Thanks for all the feedback......One other question
too....has anyone used a hydrofoil on
their engine?

I was told that it would get you up on plane faster
and that
you can travel on plane at slower speeds.

From what I'm hearing about pontoon chopping there
might
not be room. On the other hand, it might prevent you
from
hitting the pontoon with the prop.....kinda like a
guard??

Quote: TWINS
Hello all, just checking in for the
first time!

I saw a CraigCat go by us on the St Johns River last
week
and it was the first time I've seen one of these. Very
interesting! I've now read the posts in this forum and
have a pretty good idea of the boat and need some
help.

Questions:

1) Stability.....have there been any stories of these
boats
tipping over?

2) How well do they perform with only one person on
board?

3) Are there only a few engine models that work or
are
recommended? I have a newer 20HP 4 stroke Honda.
Wouldn't that work?

4) Has anyone ever done an enclosure so that it
would be
more comfortable in cold or rainy weather? Like some
eisenglass and canvas?

5) Has anyone put a platform across the front two
pontoons for fishing?

6) What other sources of information on the
CraigCat, like
this forum can you recommend.

Thanks for your answers and advise. I'm hoping to
join
the Craigcat enthusiasts with a new or used craft.

I'm in Florida now, plan on being in the Chesapeake
this
summer. We originally hail from the Great Lakes area
and
travel to Michigan regularly. TWINS is the name of my
current boat, named after my grandtwins Ben and
Mia.

Thanks, Jim

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: April 03 2012 at 23:17 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Quote: floridaman
A few years ago when I started looking into Craigcats there was one for sale on EBay that had a 50hp motor. The complaint from the seller was the porpoising effect when he turned full wide open throttle. He admitted that he could not stop the porpoising and felt that it was over powered.

Remember, the *porpoising* affect is NOT due to horse power but rather improper weight distribution.  EXAMPLE:  When I am alone on the CC, I go a little faster due to less weight on the boat.  I also can easily *porpoise* the boat but it is not due to the increased speed but rather less weight (forward) counter-balancing the weight in the rear (motor/fuel/battery/stuff).  I can instantly,  (as in instantly) re-balance the boat by leaning forward a bit and the porpoising goes away just like that......(as long as I stay leaning forward).

I could also redistribute the weight of things on board to act as a ballast and counteract the weight distribution as well.  Things like moving the fuel tank forward, moving the seat a bit forward, whatever.  Also, the purpose of a an electronic trim is  to be able to fine tune the engine angle (up or down) specifically to counteract or *balance* out the boat to its optimal angle to aid in planing, reducing  porpoising, slight weight distribution corrections etc.

If you have a manual trim/tilt, more than likely your best position is the second pin hole.  If you are lucky enough to have an electric trim/tilt control, simply dial in whatever position works out best to do what you want it to.   Personally, my setup never changes much...(i.e same weight load and balance all the time) so the electric trim/tilt wasn't worth the extra cash and engine weight.  But, even having the lightest 25 hp engine ever made at 112 lbs, I would trade for the new 30 hp Evinrude etec electric trim/tilt in a second.  Not that the bullet-proof Merc is not a good engine, it is.  A solid "A".  It's just that the etec is even better in just about every possible way other than weight.  But don't let that fool you because the etec has gobs more low end torque (fast planing) AND still reaches the same top speed of 30 mph-ish...  More like 30-32 mph-ish.  Throw a Powertech stainless prop on that engine and it will flat out make you giggle!

Edited by Mr_Super-Hunky on April 05 2012 at 02:15
Back to Top Printable version View Mr_Super-Hunky's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Super-Hunky

Pat from SC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 08 2012 at 15:24 | IP Logged Quote Pat from SC

Anyone have a CC cover for sale? I just got a dry dock space at Lake
Lure and really need a good cover. Thanks.

Mr_Super-Hunky
"Seaman"

Posted: April 08 2012 at 23:38 | IP Logged Quote Mr_Super-Hunky

Hi Pat.  I've been in your situation before and ended up buying a car cover since it covers the CC nicely.  Especially if you get the kind that have eyelets sewn in so you can lace up the cover on the underside of the boat.

Pat from SC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 09 2012 at 08:08 | IP Logged Quote Pat from SC

I may need to purchase one from CC since my electric motor is in the
center, lifted up when I'm out of the water on the trailer. Last year,
someone was selling one on the internet, but at that time, my boat was
garaged at home.

bepar108
"Seaman"

Posted: April 09 2012 at 12:36 | IP Logged Quote bepar108

Pat,
When I purchased my CC, part of the deal was that the dealer would include a cover.  He didn't have one in stock, so he told me that it would be shipped to me directly from CC.  It turns out, the cover is actually a car cover, available at Walmart.  There are different sizes on the store shelf, the one for the CC is size #4.
I believe that there is a "good", and "better" quality available.  In this situation, I would opt for the "better".  It stands up to wind and the elements much better.  There is more than enough slack in the cover to accommodate your tilted motor.

Edited by bepar108 on April 09 2012 at 12:41
Back to Top Printable version View bepar108's Profile Search for other posts by bepar108

Pat from SC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 09 2012 at 15:45 | IP Logged Quote Pat from SC

Thanks bepar 108. Will check that out.

Pat from SC
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 10 2012 at 15:07 | IP Logged Quote Pat from SC

Thanks bepar108 and MrSuper-Hunky. I bought the best #4 cover at
Walmart for $72.55 tax included. I just used a few bungees and and it
looks real good.

robsnyder20
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:04 | IP Logged Quote robsnyder20

RE: Craigcat covers

I bought a cheap car cover with a lifetime warranty off of eBay for like $25 shipped.  Didn't last any longer than a silver tarp.  Ended up getting a used NOAH BARRIER FABRIC CAR COVER for a Mercedes shipped from eBay for $31.xx, had it on my boat since Sept and even though the fitment isn't perfect, it does the job pretty well and with a bungee cord underneath, works fine.  These are normally $200 + covers made to last.  I can't speak about the walmart cover's durability, but if its similar to mine, go buy a long lasting car cover and you won't regret it.  

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 17 2012 at 01:11 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 17 2012 at 01:14 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

almost done...notice the integral engine mount...the whole deck weighs about 80lbs...should be painting and mounting the pontoons, and 50hp, this week!

TWINS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 17 2012 at 06:31 | IP Logged Quote TWINS

What is the weight differential?

or, how much more is the boat going to weigh with new
deck, motor and related equipment changes?

good luck with the project

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 17 2012 at 08:41 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

i havent weighed the old deck but overall, i'm guesstimating that i'm adding 75lbs 

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 18 2012 at 17:26 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 18 2012 at 17:27 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

i guess i'm committed at this point!

floridaman
"Seaman"

Posted: April 18 2012 at 20:16 | IP Logged Quote floridaman

I am really interested in how your project performs when you are done.

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: April 18 2012 at 20:59 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

u and me both...i cant wait to see how dry it is, top speed, and how much better it runs wider and with a jackplate

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: May 04 2012 at 22:55 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

jack plate, pontoons, and engine all mounted...next seat, gas tank, battery, and controls, then water test!

Edited by thebulldog on May 04 2012 at 23:05

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: May 24 2012 at 00:03 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

thebulldog
"Seaman"

Posted: June 02 2012 at 10:44 | IP Logged Quote thebulldog

a couple water tests so far and we're getting 35mph, but experiencing a little porpoising...so i'm adding more tab and changing to a smaller pitch prop...the jackplate makes a HUGE difference...stay tuned

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 10 2012 at 15:48 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

Wonderful day on the Chesapeake Bay.  Only problem is I had to stop for gas!  Any recommendations on a 7 gallon or larger tank?
Back to Top Printable version View Bayfront's Profile Search for other posts by Bayfront

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 12 2012 at 17:51 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

Bayfront,

If you will search the past forum comments, I remember that several months ago, maybe even a year ago, someone listed the brand name of an 11 gallon tank that would fit on the CraigCat in the same space as the 6 gallon tank.  As for me, I invested in a second 6 gallon tank.  When one runs low, I just switch the connection to the other tank.  I cruised this past weekend for 70 miles over a 6 hour period and ended up using more than one tank of gas.  I average 1.5 to 2 gallons per hour.  If I am by myself, I put the extra tank in place of the passenger seat and that evens out the weight distribution a little. 

Still, I love the CraigCat!!!  It's fun and sure turns the heads.

Carolina Kitty

Bayfront
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 24 2012 at 17:26 | IP Logged Quote Bayfront

Carolina Kitty, I found a 9 gallon tank that work's great.  It takes just a tad longer to plane but I feel much better with the additional fuel on board.  It seems now that Boat US is requiring people who post to be members that a lot of folks have dropped off.  Do you agree?

CarolinaKitty
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 27 2012 at 09:40 | IP Logged Quote CarolinaKitty

Glad you found a bigger tank.  I sit my extra tank on the front platform sometimes as this helps get on plane quicker.   I too think that many members have dropped due to the membership requirement.

]
] ]
13 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version