View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Murray Chris Craft Constellations Post ReplyPost New Topic
150 Pages « 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 24 2012 at 23:14 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Scott,

I have almost no data on 1989 and 1990 501s.  Whenever one comes up for sale, I copy the broker's ad and put it in my records.  For the 1987 and 1988 Connies I've collected data on slightly more than half the boats.  All were galley down.  Since these were obtained at random it seems unlikely that just by chance I missed all the galley-up models.  So the 1987 and 1988 501s (J111-J135) were probably all galley down models which is what your research discovered.  That would make at least 25 of the 501s galley down

There were only 9 1989 501's made.  One, hull J136 (Gemba), had the galley up.  But one, J138 (Doc's Holiday), had the galley down.  I don't know what arrangement the other 7 had.  I have no pictures of the interiors of any of the five 1990 501's so I don't know what their arrangement was.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 25 2012 at 00:28

scottflys2
"Seaman"

Posted: January 25 2012 at 00:20 | IP Logged Quote scottflys2

Hey thanks Guys for all the info galley up or down they are great
boats love the walk in.engine room teak interior wold have been nice

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 25 2012 at 10:02 | IP Logged Quote eshover

WATERSHIP II is a 1990 galley up 501. She is docked in
Northern Virginia at a yacht club. I know the owner. She
is a beautiful yacht with many extras added in recent
years.

This is the only galley up 501 I have seen. The galley up
affords a four stateroom option or three stateroom w/office
option.

I would love to have the stand-up engine room, as most of
us "over-the-hill-gang" would.

There is a 1988 501 galley down for sale in Texas. The
guy is asking $260K and she has over 2200 hrs on the
engines!   Yeah, and pigs will fly when he get anywhere
near this price.

There is another 1988 galley down "Beluga" at Wheeler
Lake, AL for 119,900 (sale pending) 1500 hrs.

And then another 1988 galley down in TX (?) named Time
Well Wasted with 1200 hours asking $199K (price dropped
$50k, yeah right).

These are all I've found so far.

Emory

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 25 2012 at 13:04 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Connie 501 Names

There were only 5 Connies built in 1990.  The 500 model was discontinued after June of 1988.  The last 500 was “Duke and Duchess” (hull # E173) started in June 1988.  She was the one and only 1989 model year Connie 500.

The 1990 501s were hulls J145 (Success), J146 (Wild Cherry), J147 (Courtship), J148 (To the Max), and J149 (Fabric-Ation).

“Wild Cherry” is a galley-up model.  “Watership” is now “Courtship” and is still in northern VA.  “Beluga” is a strange one.  She’s not documented so it’s hard to get any data on her.  But I believe she’s hull J129 and has been on the market since 2009.  Back then they were asking $275K which makes her a tremendous bargain at her current price of $120K.  Kind of makes me wonder whether there’s a problem we don’t know about.

The 501 in Texas is “Miss Holly” and has been on the market since 2008.  She was $330K then and is $260K now.  “Time Well Wasted” is another strange undocumented yacht.  She’s got “Austin, Texas” on her transom.  She appears to be hull J133 but I can’t be absolutely certain.

There are about 10 501s on the market now running from $120K to $300K.  You can find them at

www.yachtworld.com

This is a great time to be buying a Connie but a terrible time to be selling one.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 25 2012 at 13:11

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 25 2012 at 15:00 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Correct on Courtship. I had her old name in mind when I
wrote the note. My friend bought her when she was docked
on South River at Gingerville Yard. Courtship is probably her
5th name.

I'm either the fourth or fifth owner of Southern Charm.
Previous names were Merry Go Round, Donna Lee IV, and Sin
Bad

Emory

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 25 2012 at 15:08 | IP Logged Quote eshover

I forgot about another one; 1988 Chris 501 "Miss Vivian. I
knew the previous two (and most recent) owners. Previous to
the recent owner, she was extremely well cared for. I cannot
speak to the recent owner. I believe she is owned by a
broker/seller and was told he lives on her at Gangplank
Marina but I have no first-hand of that. I only know that I
have ridden by her two to three nights a week and she
appears to never leave the dock. There is a 500 Connie at
Gangplank as well but I have not gotten over there to see
what her name is. Maybe soon.

Emory

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 25 2012 at 15:15 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Forgot, there is also a 1988 501 Eagles Nest on Port Clinton
Ohio. Nicely equipped but higher than normal hours on both
the engines and genny. At $299K, her price is not competitive
for serious selling.

Emory

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 25 2012 at 17:58 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Emory,

I can see you drooling from all the way over here on the Eastern Shore of MD.  Sounds like you're getting ready to trade up to a 501.  There are a whole bunch available at around $200K.  Take your pick if you've got $90K to $100K burning a hole in your pocket.

The problem is getting rid of your present Connie.  You could probably sell pretty quickly if you advertised at $150K.  But the buyer would knock you down at least 10% and the broker would want his 10%.  So that knocks you down to clearing about $120K on the sale.  Plus the State wants a tax of 5% on the new Connie and there are survey and hauling costs. So your new $200K Connie 501 would require you to cough up $90K to $100K.  I know the drill; I've had the same thoughts myself.

But why bust your brains trying to remember Connie 501s you've seen?  Nearly every Connie you've mentioned and a lot you haven't are advertised in glorious color on YachtWorld:

www.yachtworld.com

And you can download the full specs for any or all of them.

In order to run the Forum I need to know as much as possible about Connies and therefore I have a seven volume library about nearly every Connie ever made.  It takes up most of a shelf on one of my bookcases.  Most of the data comes from broker's ads.

Good luck in your search,

Pete37

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 25 2012 at 18:05 | IP Logged Quote eshover

NO NO NO! Rest assured, I'm NOT looking! After putting out
near $15K for a rebuild last year and with all that we've done
to the boat over the years PLUS we're adding a custom
cabinet with a propane grill and fridge with ice maker on the
fly bridge, no way am I going through the pain of selling and
re-buying. Besides, as much as I love that walk-in engine
room, the war dept. simply does not like the spiral staircase
going to the aft cabin. Go figure!

Emory

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 25 2012 at 23:43 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Access to the Compartment behind the Washer/ Dryer

Last fall I enlarged the access hatch to the chain locker to give me better access to the anchor windlass.  It was designed by a midget for a midget and was smaller than my rib cage.  I could only get my chest part way into the locker.  From this position many of the bolts I had to work on were nearly impossible to get at and therefore often weren’t properly tightened.  Now, with the enlarged access hatch, working on the windlass is a “piece of cake”.  A few days ago I finished off rebuilding the door for the chain locker hatch and stood back to admire my work.  I said to myself “Why didn’t I do that years ago?”

I’ve had my Connie for 17 years now and have wriggled, squirmed or crawled into just about every corner of every compartment in the boat.  And I’ve fixed things in all of these locations.  All locations, that is, except for the space behind the washer/dryer in the forward stateroom.  There is a clothes locker just forward of the washer/dryer compartment which has a door leading into that space.  It’s not a regular door with hinges and doorknobs, etc.  It’s just a section of the aft bulkhead of the locker that has been cut out.  The cut-out panel has then been framed in such a manner that the panel can be screwed back in place.

I’ve taken the panel out and peered into the space behind the washer/dryer.  It’s a mess of wires pipes and tubes that are not in good order or condition.  And there are a number of above waterline thru-hulls with old rubber hoses that really should be replaced.  Basically it’s a nautical version of “Fibber McGee’s closet” and should be cleaned up and put in good order before something breaks and causes problems.  But I can’t get through the door.  It was designed like the anchor locker door by and for a midget.  Normal humans can’t get through it.  So over the years nothing has been done to clean up the mess.

I’m thinking of enlarging the door; if possible. I assume that most Connies have the same door.  How do you guys get into the space behind the washer/dryer?  Or do you just ignore that space?

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 25 2012 at 23:53

scottflys2
"Seaman"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 01:15 | IP Logged Quote scottflys2

Hi Pete
When I bought my boat it had a water leak behind the washer dryer.
There is an access panel port side by the stairs and was able to see the
leak. I hired a guy at the marina and he crawled through the access
and fixed it with a shark bite. He was pretty skinny that is a bad place
to get to.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 09:25 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Scott,

I think your 501 has an entirely different layout than my 500.  My washer/dryer is located on the starboard side just after you step down into the forward stateroom.  Hiring a skinny midget is one solution but I'd like to actually check the stuff out and make the repairs myself.  What the hell is a "shark bite"?

Pete37

scottflys2
"Seaman"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 09:42 | IP Logged Quote scottflys2

Hi Pete
The shark bite is a repair coupler for the grey water lines. I think there
are serval different brand names. They make repairs a lot easier

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 09:50 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Scott,

Gee, I just used to call them Qest plumbing fittings although now there are a bunch of other companies making them and the Qest fittings are getting hard to find.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 26 2012 at 09:51

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 09:57 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Pete - Shark Bites are brass and not plastic. They are
extremely quick to use. You only need to cut the pipe. The
are push-lock fitting and do not leak. I have used them in my
home to replace the same type fittings as we have on our
boats. No cheap, but if for nothing else, they are worth
keeping a couple on board for fast repairs. The make
couplings, elbows, tee's, etc.

Emory

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 10:48 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Scott,

I checked out Shark Bite fittings on the web and downloaded their catalog.  Haven't seen them here in MD.  I'll have to look for a distributor in this area.  I like the fact that they are brass rather than plastic.  But if they are really brass (not bronze) you have to worry about dezinciification.  That's not a problem with fresh water plumbing but if you get careless and use them for salt water plumbing as well you could have serious problems.

The construction looks about the same as all of the modern push-on fittings.  The grey water plumbing lines are actually polybutylene pipes.  There have been a lot of very serious problems with polybutylene plumbing systems although the problems seem to be with the fittings rather than the pipe.  Ironically, the old crimp on fittings were made of acetal plastic (a very brittle plastic) not polybutylene.  But since they were used in systems that used polybutylene pipe the polybutylene plumbing systems got a very bad reputation.

Connies were built with polybutylene pipe and used acetal plastic crimp-on fittings. The fittings can break at any moment and don't show any signs of failure until they actually break.  That's why a Connie should never be left attached to dockside water.  A fitting could break and sink your boat.  Use the water in the tank.  That keeps the tank water fresh because it gets used before it goes foul.  And it eliminates the danger of sinking caused by broken fittings.

My first impression is that Shark Bite fittings are superior to the typical all plastic fttings I've seen.  I'm going to check them out.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 26 2012 at 10:50

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 10:51 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Pete - I buy mine at Home Despot. Probably available at
Lowes as well.   I also found them at a local hardware store,
so they're pretty popular. As I said, they are worth the
money.

EMORY

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 11:07 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Emory and Scott,

When I think about it I haven't replaced many plumbing fittings lately and that's probably why I haven't seen Shark Bite fittings.  Over the years, I've replaced most of the old crimp on fittings and the newer fittings (regardless of brand) seem to last forever.

I liked the Qest compression fittings because they were really solid.  They were bulky and took a little longer to install than a push-on fitting but not much.  The only tools needed were a knife (to cut the pipe) and a wrench (to do the final tightening).  And when they were installed the problem was fixed (forever).  From a vibration standpoint I think they are superior to the push on fittings.  But I don't think they are made anymore.

What is strange is that none of the marine suppliers carry Shark Bite fittings.  I've checked about five 2011 marine catalogs and none carry Shark Bite.  Perhaps they will in 2012.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 26 2012 at 11:20

Grey Goose
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 11:14 | IP Logged Quote Grey Goose

Pete

Probably the reason you have never seen them is because of the price.  A quest elbow is $.99 a gator or sharkbite is $8.99.  You will save the $8 in effort to install.  There is also a plastic alternitive called Sea-Tech  wich runs around $5 for the same elbow.  My entire boat was re-plumbed by the last owner with Sea-Tech pipe and fittings.  It is a pleasure to work with.  I havent been to a hardware store that doesn't sell one of these types of quick connect/ removable fittings.

@ Scott

Your washer is located in a different location than the 500.  The '87 501 is the only year that is setup like the 500.

Allen

Back to Top Printable version View Grey Goose's Profile Search for other posts by Grey Goose

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 11:42 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Allen,

The only marine supplier that still has the Qest in their catalog is Boat Owner's Warehouse (BOW).  A 1/2" elbow costs $5.42.  I haven't ever seen a Qest elbow at $0.99.  If you've found a place that sells them that cheap let me know.  I'll  buy some for spares.

I assume by Quest you really mean Qest.  Most people spell it wrong because most words starting with "Q" are followed by a "u".  Qest however breaks that rule.

I never found Qest fittings to be difficult to install; five or ten minutes at the most.

West Marine (and most other marine suppliers) have never seemed to be adverse to selling expensive marine hardware.  Is there a problem or is it just that they haven't updated their catalogs yet?  Perhaps we will see Shark Bite in the 2012 catalogs.

Pete37

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 11:43 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Pete - if you choose to stay with the polybute compression
fittings, you can find most any thing you need here:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/polyb.html

I also keep an ample number of these on board as well. So
far, I haven't had a leak in quite a while. But now that we've
talked about it, I'm sure I will.

Emory

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 12:09 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Emory,

I too keep some spares aboard and still have a number of the Qest type fittings.  I've been gradually using them up. But I rarely bother to order new fittings on the web or by mail.  I usually want them "right now" so I buy them from my local hardware store (True Value or Ace).  They seem to have some pretty good products but most of their push-on fittings are all plastic.  Their price may be a little higher than on the web but I don't buy many anymore.  Most of my plumbing has been upgraded from the old Qest crimp-on fittlings.

Thanks for the web reference.  I think I already have it in the Connie Library under "Plumbimg Systems".

I prefer the compression type fittings regardless of whether they are plastic or metal.  The metal sounds good but in reality I've never had trouble with the newer plastic compression fittings so perhaps metal is overkill.  Metal or plastic they both go on the same way so convenience isn't a factor.

Pete37

PS:  I did some checking and Shark Bite fittings are made of DZR brass.  DZR means DeZincification Resistant but I haven't been able to find anything about how dezincification resistant they are.  Dezincification shouldn't be a problem with fresh water piping systems but could be deadly on salt water systems.  Plastic fittings are completely immune to dezincification and cost about half as much.  Brass is stronger but properly made plastic fittings are strong enough.  Looks kind of questionable whether Shark Bite fitings are worth the extra cost.  I'll have to actually look at some to determine that.  Next time I go to Annapolis I'll try to check them out.

BTW:  I've heard people say that Qest fittings are hard to put on and take a lot of time to install.   So I got out a couple pieces of polybutylene pipe and a Qest fitting designed to join the two pipes together. I laid them out on the table, hit my stopwatch and started assembling.  It took me 1:14 to assemble and tighten the fitting to hand tight.  And I wasn't rushing.  Final tightening with a wrench would probably take another 30 seconds.  Two minutes tops for the job but only if you are mentally and/or physically disabled.

Edited by Pete37 on January 26 2012 at 21:23

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 20:56 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: More on Gennys

Here is the lowest price I've seen yet on a genny:

Doesn't put out much juice but look at the price!  Probably a piece of crap which would break down almost immediately but look at the price!

BTW: I looked at a Honda EU2000i genny at Fawcett's yesterday.  It was a pretty respectable piece of equipment.  Of course it costs ten times as much ($899 vs $89.99).

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 26 2012 at 21:06

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 21:22 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Hi all,

If I remember correctly, at our first (and maybe only) Connie boat get together a few years ago, there was a 501 docked there (but not part of the get together). The owner came out and gave us a tour and she was a galley up. Anyone remember this? How about the name of that boat?

As mentioned before, I have used toro lawn sprinkler fittings to repair any bad fittings on the poly carb pipe connectors. Just cut the old fitting off, use a hair dryer to heat the pipe and tap the fitting in. It doesn't leak but I clamp the repair on both ends as added protection. The fittings cost under a dollar.

Pete, I have replaced the clothes washer hot and cold water hoses (this should be done if you have never replaced them) and cleaned out the hose filter inserts another time (if water does not flow into the washer properly, try cleaning these filters before doing anything else). I also replaced the dryer vent hose that was deteriorating. I could not fit into the removed panel opening in the forward stateroom hanging locker, but was just able to reach everything by placing a board from the closet to the bed and laying on it sideways and getting my head and shoulders in enough to reach in.

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 21:27 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Dave - the boat was Watership and is now Courtship and
docked at Alexandria Yacht Club in Northern Va. I also went
on the boat that day.

Emory

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 21:35 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

Not sure I want to use Toro lawn sprinkler fittings and hose clamps to fix my plumbing just to save $4.

But your idea on how to get access behind the washer/dryer sounds great.  I'll have to cut a piece of plywood to the right size and try it out.  If I get stuck and can't get out I'll call you on the cell phone.

Pete37

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 23:31 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

We replaced our washer and dryer a few years ago.  After the new unit was in place, I was the chosen one to crawl in the closet to reach the hoses.  THe hard part was getting into and out of the closet.  Once behind the unit, I had enough room to stand and hook everything up.  But I am 5'3 and at the time about 110 lbs lol!  Not sure if I could still make the "bend" to get behind there again.  Hopefully we will be ok until our 6 yr granddaughter gets old enough to handle tools!

Vicki

Back to Top Printable version View TStellato's Profile Search for other posts by TStellato

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 26 2012 at 23:53 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Vicki,

You are about my wife's size.  But I wouldn't even dream of asking her to go in there.  I'd never hear the end of that!

Pete37

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 27 2012 at 11:11 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Vicki - it may be good information for all of us if you would
provide us with the make/model washer/dryer you
purchased.
If I remember it did not require much in the way of
modification. Is that correct?   I hope mine keeps going for
a while, but after four years of washing a Midshipman's
laundry, I am not holding my breath.

Re: our son Alex (and bear with my pride showing
through). After graduation in May from USNA, Alex will go
to nuke school in Charleston and then prototype (possibly
remaining in Charleston) school. Then will be assigned to a
submarine for a cruise. Out of 120 nominations, Alex was
offered an opportunity to attend MIT for his Master's in
Nuclear Engineering. He is only required to serve one
cruise before going to MIT. I'll tell ya' this kid is writing his
own ticket!   We are so very proud of him. Thank for
listening!
Who knows, maybe someday he'll remember who I am!
Emory

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: January 27 2012 at 11:43 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Emory thanks for the confrimation of the the 501.... it's nice to know the memory is still knd of working. Sounds like Courtship might be owned by an attorney but you never can be sure of the how and why of a boat name.

Pete, when I first discovered a poly carb pipe leak, as a new Connie owner, I had to repair it in a hurry. It was up against a bulk head corner in the engine room behind an Electra-San with wiring and a stabilizer hose. I happened to have a Toro fitting handy (I did not use it to save money, I used it to save a cruise). I did not know of the poly carb fitting problem then and what fittings could be used. Not sure if any kind of crimping tool would have worked there. Of course I am now aware of the other connectors.

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 27 2012 at 15:33 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

Yeah, in an emergency use anything that works.  But I wouldn't plan ahead on using a Toro fitting just because it costs $1 versus $5 for a fitting specifically designed for the job.

Pete37

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 27 2012 at 18:48 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Connie Prices

This is a depressing subject to talk about.  No one really wants to think about how much our beloved Connies have depreciated.  But we have to be realistic.  So I went to NADA and Yachtworld to get current estimates on our Connies.  The BUC Used Boat Guide and ABOS Marine Blue Book are also good references but I don’t have copies of either and they cost money to buy.  However, if you’re thinking of selling (or buying) it might be worth taking a look at them as well.  Usually a friendly broker will let you take a peek at his copy.

NADA gives just two prices; a low retail and an average retail.  They allow you to specify the model, year and accessories but their selection of accessories is oriented towards runabouts and doesn’t really include many of the extras we have on our Connies.  I selected the 1987 model year Connie 500 for my price estimate.  Most of our Connies were built between 1985 and 1987.  At an average age of 26 years price doesn’t vary much with year.  The 501s don’t seem to be very much higher than the 500s.  The answers I got were Low Retail $121K and Average Retail $136K.

Yachtworld produced data on 15 Connies built between 1985 and 1987.  Prices ranged from $115K to $300K.  I ignored the hits with prices below $140K as probably being defective and not representative of Connies in good condition.  And I also ignored the Connies with prices above $250K.  I’ll give these owners a year or two on the market to “get real”.  This left 10 Connies running in price from $170K to $230K.  The average price was $196K. Surprisingly, there were two 501s at $175K.

So NADA seems to say that your average Connie will sell for $136K while Yachtworld seems to indicate about $196K.  This is a substantial difference; why?

Yachtworld prices are asking prices.  In a good economy selling prices are typically 20% less than asking; except for real creampuffs.  In a bad economy, like now, figure 30%.  So a Connie with a $196K asking price will probably sell for $137K which is nearly identical to the $136K that NADA predicts.  When you add in the 10% the broker normally gets, you net only $129K.

I’ve been reading the review of a 2012 Sabre 48 Salon Express in this month’s issue of Power and Motor Yacht.  This 48’ twin diesel motoryacht is somewhat equivalent to a Connie although it lacks a flybridge, has only one salon, sleeps only four and weighs only 34,000 lbs. Fuel wise, the twin 550 hp. diesels get almost exactly the same mileage as our Connies at 10 knots in spite of its much lighter weight. It has two Jabsco Quiet Flush heads.  My Connie has three.  At least I’m up to date in one area.

It costs $1,205,000 nearly 9X the cost of a Connie.  Why the cost difference? It’s new!  Our Connies may be old but they’ve got a lot going for them in terms of living space and features.

Pete37

PS: NADA lists the price of a 1987 501 as being $4K more than a 1987 500.  A 1989 501 is $22K  more than a 1987 501.  No prices are given for a 1990 501.

Edited by Pete37 on January 27 2012 at 19:08

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 27 2012 at 20:39 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Pete, et al; in this market, "book" values are merely used
as cost averaging devices. EX: BUC Research show the
price of a 1986 Connie being low: $197,500 to high of
$217,000. Totally unrealistic but we (surveyors) still use
these figures in a cost averaging norm. These days we
never calculate the "high" figures.   Now for the heart
breaker. As with real estate, you can ask anything you
want, what it sells for is another matter. Soldboats.com
(reserved for brokers and surveyors only) shows the
following.

Four 500's sold between Jan of 09 and Aug of 10. None
have been entered since Aug 2010. Soldboats is
predicated by entries made by brokers and over the last
several years has become an accepted and credible
source>

1987 sold on 02/09 in TN   selling price: $205,000
1987         &n bsp;  05/10     IL & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;   130,000
1988         &n bsp;  09/10     MD & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;  150,000
1987         &n bsp;  09/10     FL & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;   135,000

You can see the dramatic drop between 2009 and 2010.

Your assertion of about $129,000 is pretty realistic. If I
could clear $130,000 for mine right now.....as much as it
pains me......I'd probably let it go. :(    Sales won't get any
better. You all saw that this past year was the worst in
history for new home sales.   Don't mean to be downer
here, but, unlike Dear Leader, this country is not on the
way back. We're far from it. We are simply isolated here
in Governmentland and all is hunky dory. Go out of this
area (in other words, the real world) and things ain't so
hot.
Ya'll have a nice weekend! Ya' heah?

Emory

eshover
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 27 2012 at 20:42 | IP Logged Quote eshover

Don't understand the gobbledeegook in my last post, but you
get the picture.

ES

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 27 2012 at 22:25 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Emory,

Subject:  Sale Prices of Connies

Is this what you were trying to say before the computer scrambled it? 

Sold

On

Hull

Year

State of Sale

Sale Price

2/09

TN

$205,000

5/10

IL

$130,000

9/10

MD

$150,000

9/10

FL

$135,000

Total

$620,000

Average

$155,000

Four boats were sold at a total price of $620,000 between February 2009 and September 2010.  Average price was $155,000.  The computer has scrambled my table too but only a little bit.

Based on the average you would estimate a sale price of $155K. After a 10% contribution to the broker you net about $140K. 

My estimates were based on current Yachtworld asking prices plus some experience in the yacht brokerage business.  The 2010 sales in your data more closely correspond to current prices.  The average price for 2010 sales was only $138K which corresponds almost exactly with my estimate of $137K. If you base your estimate of sale price on that you net only $123K after brokerage fees. The $129K in my previous post was a typo.

So we agree very closely on what a Connie will sell for and what we would net after brokerage fees.  These results are remarkable considering that we are working with such a small data set.  The only unfortunate part of this is that the net value of our Connies is so low. The important thing, though is to have a realistic idea of what you can sell for.

You could probably net close to $130K if you put your Connie up for sale but sales are very slow now even at such low prices.  Expect to wait a couple years.  But on the other hand you could get lucky.

Pete37

PS: What's scary is the statement that none have been sold since Aug 2010.  That's really scary that there were 15 boats on the market for the last year and 4 months and none sold..  Of course five weren't saleable due to either excessively high price or decrepit condition but that still leaves 10 boats on the market at reasonable prices and no sales.

Edited by Pete37 on January 27 2012 at 23:52

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 28 2012 at 19:02 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Generators

For anyone contemplating the purchase of a generator this one is a must read:

http://www.sailwhisper.com/logs/news_20080225.php

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on January 28 2012 at 19:05

Grey Goose
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 28 2012 at 19:11 | IP Logged Quote Grey Goose

Pete
Where did you find the $89.99 harbor freight coupon? Or can you put
up a copy of the coupon with it's barcode. I went to pick up one today
and they would not let me use the copy of the coupon you posted
because no barcode. It would be great to run an emergency battery
charger or dive compressor on my other boat. I'll let you know how
loud it is.

Allen
Back to Top Printable version View Grey Goose's Profile Search for other posts by Grey Goose

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 29 2012 at 00:18 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Allen,

I got the ad from  Power & Motoryacht (Harbor Sales, page 191). I erased all reference to Harbor Sales because I didn't want it to appear that I was advertising a product on the forum.  I tossed the magazine but it's probably still in the garbage can if you really want it.  They've been advertising it for months and the price keeps dropping at bit each month.

It's intrigueing that you can get a generator for $89 bucks but at that price it's probably not very reliable and you can spend a lot of time trying to get a balky generator running.  To me it didn't seem worth the trouble.  I've bought stuff like that before and regretted it.  Do you want me to see if I can retrieve the ad?

Pete37

PS: Oops, you lucked out!  I checked the office waste basket and the magazine was in it.  The ad was on page 191.  You want me to mail it to you?  You can order it online at

www.HarborFreight.com

The product number is 45322460.

There's a Utube presentation "Testing my new Chicago Generator...".  Read the comments.  Apparently its average lifetime is about 30 minutes.  But the problem seems to be bad spark plugs.  When replaced it seems to run again.

One of the comments was rather humorous "This thing is screaming it's head off.  I'd shoot my neighbor if he bought one and actually used it!"

Edited by Pete37 on January 29 2012 at 09:28

Grey Goose
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 29 2012 at 18:56 | IP Logged Quote Grey Goose

Thanks Pete

I found a copy. I figured I would buy one and if it were to loud I
would return it. You got to love that about harbor freight
Allen

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: January 30 2012 at 01:37 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All,

Subject: Chicago Portable Generator

When I posted on the Chicago Portable Generator a few day ago I didn’t mean to recommend it or damn it either.  I was merely commenting that it was a remarkably low price.  There is a YouTube presentation on it at:

www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=m18Q-dzJcHg

which has a number of comments on the generator which are listed below:

Complaints about Failure:

I have returned three of these so far. It keeps giving me low voltage after a period of time. Drops to something like 80 or 90 volts after running for a while. I always purchase the guarantee.

Mine worked 30 minutes. Then it stopped. I went to Auto Zone, got a new spark plug and it started on first pull. I was so happy again. All and all I am happy with this machine. I will keep an extra plug from now on.

Mine worked for 30 minutes at the beach; won’t run now. I think it got too much moisture from the beach air. Any ideas?

Have no idea. The last time (and the first time) that I ran the machine was when I made this video. It is sitting in the garage now. Hope it will work when the need comes.

Complaints about Loudness:

Wow, it’s loud! Thanks for the demo.

That thing is screaming its butt off. Too loud. My goodness. I'd shoot my neighbor if he ever brought one of those home and actually used it.

As you can see there seem to be some problems with it which is not surprising with a very low priced item such as this.  Even the Youtube presenter doesn’t seem to have much confidence in the generator as shown in his comment:

“The last time (and the first time) that I ran the machine was when I made this video. It is sitting in the garage now. Hope it will work when the need comes.”

The greatest amount of time anyone reports on having run this thing is 30 hours.  That’s not exactly a long term test.  And some owners report failure in 30 minutes.  Replacing the spark plug seems to fix the genny (at least temporarily) but there is no surety that the spark plug problem will not reoccur.  If you just want to buy this generator as a toy to play with, $79 will not break you.  But I wouldn’t want to rely on this generator in an emergency.

And apparently this genny is as noisy as a chain saw so you wouldn’t find it a friendly companion while anchoring out.

Pete37

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 25 2013 at 11:04

]
] ]
150 Pages « 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version