View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Murray Chris Craft Constellations Post ReplyPost New Topic
150 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 09 2007 at 15:50 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pete,

You have me down as a boat attending the rendezvous and in my post I said I was unable to attend. As mentioned I have a full schedule and a grandchild on the way (right around the Chris get together dates). I'll monitor this site for specifics and if my commitments change will let you know.

You said you open up your engine hatches up to 30 times a year. No wonder you do not use tacking strips on your carpet. I only had mine open a few times in ten years. With a couple exceptions or to get to something easier, I equate open engine hatches on my boat to a big problem or somewhat envolved job.  Hopefully you just like a lot of room doing routine maintenance and checks. Or perhaps your engine room is such a show place it calls to be shown often. If that is the case you could install a glass floor. That would add a new dimension to to the wood versus carpet discussions on this site.  I'm getting scared, sounding like you Pete.  I think I'm ok because I didn't included any square footage or thickness of glass requirements...... you are smiling, right Pete?

Dave

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 09 2007 at 18:22 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

Sorry Dave, I got confused about your rendezvous status.Cry

I'm surprised that you have opened your hatches only a few times in ten years.  How do you winterize your engines?  Trying to open all those drain valves without opening the hatches is quite difficult.  You've got to be a contortionist.  And they need to be replaced every few years.  How do you clean your heat exchangers and intercoolers?  How do you fix all the plumbing that goes bad?  How do you inspect your engines to catch major problems before they happen?  How do you check out all the wiring problems?  How do you clean the bilges?  You can get at the parts of the engines that are accessible from the center line but the outside between the engines and saddle tanks is nearly impossible to maintain without opening the hatches.  And the wiring and plumbing in the corners of the engine room are a real pistol to access.Confused

Have you replaced all your old and crumbly rubber hoses, brittle plastic above waterline thru-hulls, weepy fuel lines, corroded brass pipes, frozen seacocks, obsolete toilets, holding tanks, fire extinguishing systems, etc., etc., etc. without opening your engine room hatches?  Amazing!  Most of the other owners have done some if not all of these tasks.  And most of them require opening the engine room hatches.Angry

I do as much as possible through the generator room hatch but there are limitations.  No my engine room is not a showplace.  My boat is an operational motoryacht not a houseboat.  The engine room is a mess but everything in it works the same way or better than it did the day the boat was built.  Except, of course, for the things I've missed that are waiting to bite me in the butt. 

I equate opening the engine room hatches to normal maintenance and repair activities required to keep the engines and other systems working properly.  And with the way my carpets are layed out it's only a few minutes work not a major project.  The bulk of the work is moving the furniture.

But in any case, if you can do a thorough job of maintaining your engines without opening the hatches more power to you.  You're the one who is going to have to repair and pay for any oversights.

Pete37

PS: Yes, I'm smiling but with a quizical look.  Aren't Emoticons great?

Edited by Pete37 on October 09 2007 at 19:48

Monopoly1954
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 09 2007 at 18:49 | IP Logged Quote Monopoly1954

Hi Pete,

In one of your emails you wrote about "Constant Voltage Transformers"

Power here in MD does the same thing although perhaps not as dramatically.  But less than 110 volts is common on hot summer weekends.  Constant voltage transformers are designed to keep the voltage to critical systems constant in spite of line voltage variations.  I think I have one in the attic.  They cost $50 to $100 depending on size.

If you could share  any other information about them. Who makes them  would help. I have a lot of people on the dock interested.

Thanks

1986 Chriscraft 500
Back to Top Printable version View Monopoly1954's Profile Search for other posts by Monopoly1954

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 09 2007 at 19:59 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Corey,

It's been a long time since I bought mine.  I no longer use it because my boat is now at the bulkhead end of the dock and closest to the power supply so I have very little line drop.  I don't remember what the brand was but you should be able to find several units of different brands at any commercial electrical outlet.  Check you local suppliers.  If you can't find one I'll check on them in Annapolis.

You should probably buy and wire one to supply your critical circuits rather than the whole boat.  You will probably want to have an electrician to install it

Pete37

PS:  I just did a web search and got 54 hits on "constant voltage transformers".

Edited by Pete37 on October 09 2007 at 20:04

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 11 2007 at 21:58 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

Pete,

Just wanted to make sure that you got my email that Five Star would be able attend a raft up on the 20th.

Back to Top Printable version View TStellato's Profile Search for other posts by TStellato

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: October 12 2007 at 10:35 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Pete et.al.,

Do we have a location decided upon for the raft up next weekend?  I'd like to know so I can plan our time and meeting place.  I also may need to take the boat to Baltimore on Sunday, so timing is important.

THX

Delaware Jim

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 12 2007 at 18:06 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pete,

So far I've been able to repair, check and maintain plumbing, electrical, wiring, seacocks, heads, holding tanks and most checks without opening the engine hatches. The engine hatches were opened last year to replace all engine hoses and all fittings and stainless risers were installed. They were also opened before to have the coolers cleaned. Normally I winterize the engines by running antifreeze out through the exhausts. Last year I had the hatches opened again while the engine room was painted and added a cleaner and flushed out the fresh water cooling system. My bilges are not a problem to get to through the generator hatch. As mentioned before my bilges are all dry so they stay pretty clean. I have not replaced all the fuel hoses or thru-hulls yet; those items are on my list on my list.

Dave

Back to Top Printable version View David Ross's Profile Search for other posts by David Ross

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: October 12 2007 at 18:39 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

To all,

I need to remove the washer/dryer in my 85 Connie in order to repair the dryer as well as access the three thru hulls beneath it to replace cracked ones.  I have removed the door frame/doors and the header strip.  The unit seems loose (I can rock it a bit) , but I cannot get it to slide out. 

Has anyone done this before and can give some advise on the R&R process?

Thanks!

Delaware Jim

Fantasy
"Navigator"

Posted: October 12 2007 at 19:15 | IP Logged Quote Fantasy

Hi Jim,

Yes, I've done that job and it is a bear.  I needed to remove all of the trim around the washer/dryer doors as well as the trim around the doorway to the galley.  However, you need to get behind the unit to push, since it is almost impossible to pull.  You do this by opening the panel in the rear of the closet just forward of the unit and climbing through.  With a little luck, you may be able to do your repairs without pushing it out too far.  If you are on the boat this weekend, stop by my boat and I'll show you.  We are on the same row as David, one slip in from the T-head.

John

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 12 2007 at 20:20 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

To All Rendezvous Attendees:

Rendezvous Time:

The plan for the rendezvous is to meet on Saturday morning October 20th at some yet to be defined location (see below).  I figure that most of us won't get going much before 10:00 AM and for most of us it will be about 20 miles or a 2 hour run at 10 knots.  Hopefully, we will all get there about noon and raft up.  Sundown will be around 6:30 so if we are to get back to our home ports the same day we would have to leave about 4:30 PM.  That would limit the rendezvous to only a little over 4 hours which doesn't seem like enough time so we will probably have to overnight in the raft up and leave the following morning.  Is that satisfactory to all?  If not let me know.

Locations:

A number of locations come to mind such as Mill Creek, Whitehall Bay, Little Round Bay on the Severn, the Rhode River, Sillery Bay on the Magothy River and Shaw Bay on the Wye River.  Rhode River and Shaw Bay add about 10 miles to the distance which must be traveled by those comng from the north so while they may be great anchorages I think we should write them off.  We will be up to 5 50 foot boats swinging on at least 75 feet of chain so we will need an anchorage at least 250 feet in diameter for our anchorage.  And that diameter shouldn't encroach on any channel.  It seems difficult to do that on Mill Creek and I have no charts of sufficient detail to show the depths accurately.  Sillery Bay seems too exposed to the winds (particularly from the south).  Whitehall Bay would be satisfactory for a short daytime raft up but it's rather exposed from the south and has a fair amount of boat traffic.  That leaves Little Round Bay as probably the best anchorage.  It's wide enough and doesn't appear to be likely to have much boat traffic..  Depths are good and it's easy to get to.  So please let me know whether Little Round Bay would be satisfactory.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 12 2007 at 21:02

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: October 12 2007 at 20:38 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

To John,

I've taken the panel off the back of the closet next to the washer and there is no way I could possibly fit (or get out!) of there.  I was thinking about the need to remove all the galley door/trim and was hoping not to have to do that, but it looks like I will.  I'm thinking about building a temporary platform the height of the step to ease the movement once I get it out.  I am assuming there are the water, drain, electric and dryer vent connections to deal with... can I get the unit out, than disconnect?  Anyone else done this job?

I'm on the boat all weekend.  I'll stop by tomorrow morning- I'd like to discuss more and make sure I am doing this "right".  Call me on 302-528-5514 with a good time for you...

To Pete,

When the group develops a concensus, just publish the results.  We're open to any location in the area. The GPS coordinates would also be useful for those of us not real intimate with that area.

Delaware Jim

Edited by Delaware Jim on October 12 2007 at 20:43

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 12 2007 at 21:16 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

What about the cove before you go into Mill Creek?  If you tuck into the cove which is pretty big we would fit with plenty of room to swing. It is calm once you tuck into the cove.   Mill Creek would be pretty tight.  Round Bay is a big area behind the island.  The Magothy by Gibson Island is also fine. Either location offers plenty of room to pull off and anchor alone if you want to, especially running the gennies.  Jim You will have to see our washer/dryer.  The dryer is original and someone replaced the washer and just cut the old one apart from the dryer!  It fits ok but I have to remove the lid entirely to put in the clothes.  Might not be pretty but as long as they work and I don't have to replace them any time soon lol.

Back to Top Printable version View TStellato's Profile Search for other posts by TStellato

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 12 2007 at 21:24 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Still in the Mood, Five Star, Southern Charm, and Vintage Port

Subj: Rendezvous

I've sent you all an email with the adresses necessary to communicate about the rendezvous.  If you didn't get it let me know.  Please include me Pminott@aol.com on your address lists so I can keep track of what's going on.

Don't forget to make a "bad weather" plan.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 12 2007 at 21:33

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 12 2007 at 22:28 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

Sounds like you have been busy in your bilge and it probably looks better than mine.  But I notice though that every time you had to do anything major you had to resort to opening the hatches.  And I bet you opened them several times for each of the major projects (although you may not have moved the carpet each time).

Even if you don't need to do any repairs, the hatches should be opened at least three times a year (once in the spring, once at mid summer and once in the fall) for inspection.  There are a lot of parts and places you just can't see from a "generator hatch" inspection. 

You check your car engine at least once every 5000 miles or about 100 hours. But your boat engines are twice as complex and tempermental (mainly due to superchargiing) so you should check them about every 50 hours.  Detroit recommends that the turbochargers be inspected daily.  The engines are also about ten times as expensive so financial prudence would indicate that perhaps they should be inspected twice as often as that or about once every 25 hours.  A typical boat does 60 hours per year so that means the engines should be inspected about 2.4 times per year plus once at the beginning of the year or 3.4 times a year.  We'll drop off the 0.4 as spurious accuracy and we get three engine inspections inspections per year even if you do nothing else on the engines.  And even this is far less than Detroit recommends.  But what the hell do they know?  They just designed, built and tested the 6V92.

I religiously check the oil and water daily and take a glance at the superchargers, fuel lines and drive belts as well.  These glances aren't really inspections but each time the hatches are opened I inspect the engines thoroughly for leaks, bad hoses, oil drips, etc.  Most of the time I don't find anything but every once in a while I do.  And several times these glances and inspections have prevented major damage to the engines.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 12 2007 at 22:48

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 13 2007 at 00:04 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Tony & Vicki,

The cove you go into before you enter Mill Creek I believe is called Whitehall Bay.  It's all right for a day raft up but has two fairly active channels going through it.  I don't think anyone wants to get rammed at night by a drunken hot shot from Cantler's bar (or elsewhere).  I went down to Mill Creek by car and agree it looks fairly tight (especially for a night anchorage).

The Magothy between Gibson Island and Dobbins Island (called Sillery Bay) is a popular anchorage which is easy to get into and has plenty of depth. However, it's not very well protected from the south.  However, if the winds are predicted to be light it might be an excellent choice.

Round Bay is a bulge in the Severn River about 5 miles northwest of Annapolis.  To it's west there is a small bay on the south shore of the Severn called Little Round Bay with an island called St. Helena Island at its center.  To the west of St. Helena the water should be very well protected from winds from any directiion.  On the charts it looks very good but I have never been there. Hopefully, someone else from our group has.  The shores of Little Round Bay (39 2.5 N 76 33.8 W) are densely populated by friendly (we hope) natives who live in small wigwams clustered close to the beach.

Shaw Bay behind Bruff's Island on the Wye River (38 51.5 N 76 11.0 W) is a near perfect place for raft ups.  It's deep, picturesque, has good holding ground, is very well protected from winds from all directions and its shores are sparsely populated by friendly (as far as we know) natives who live in very big wigwams set far back from the beach.  And it's close enough to St. Michaels to go there for breakfast on Sunday morning.  But it's 22 miles from where you are in Annapolis as opposed to 15 miles to Little Round Bay.  The distance for "Still in the Mood" would be about the same as to Little Round Bay.  Emory's trip would be 20 miles as opposed to 5 miles to Little Round Bay.  For me Shaw Bay is about 10 miles as opposed to 20 miles to Little Round Bay.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 13 2007 at 00:13

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 13 2007 at 00:29 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Delaware Jim,

I did some work on the washer dryer years ago and was able to remove the inclined plate between the washer and dryer.  Once it was out I could reach in and get my arms and shoulders through the gap to work on the parts behind the washer.  In my case the problem was ruptured water hoses leading to the washer.  You might be able to slither in there too if you're thin.   Just be sure to have your wife on standby to bring you sandwiches in case you get stuck.

Pete37

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 13 2007 at 07:25 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

Any place is fine with us.  Little Round Bay behind the island is very protected and is where all the big boats went for Isabelle.  It may be a bit faster to get of for Jim if he has to go to Baltimore on Sunday.  I am just hoping for calm weather and a chance to finally relax and enjoy this new home.  Let us all know what you decide.

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: October 13 2007 at 09:38 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

Group,

Our trip to Baltimore after the raft up is still not yet confirmed (hoping for a new consulting gig), so that is not a constraint.  We generally open to "local knowledge"

Pete,

Thanks for the info on the dryer, but I need to replace the three thru hulls UNDER the washer as well, so it has to come out for access there.

Delaware Jim

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 13 2007 at 11:15 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi to Rendezvous Group,

So far 4 out of 5 of the boat owners seem to like Little Round Bay.  Only need to hear from Vintage Port to make it unanimous.  So, unless Vintage Port has some compelling reason not to go there, Little Round Bay is our rendezvous location. It's now time for the gentlemen to prep their boats and the ladies to address the social aspects.

Emory:

I think I've found a source for brand new 6V92 long blocks at about $10K each and the source says he can get the engines in through the companionway. Installation and top end component rebuild or replacement would be extra.  So far my info is based on a conversation.  Will have something more concrete in writing next week.  Seems "too good to be true" but the source is reputable.  We'll see.

Anchoring:

The raft should be anchored by at least two anchors.  I'm assuming that the first two boats to arrive will set out anchors.  I'm also assuming that most of us use all chain rodes and have enough chain to get at least a 10:1 scope in 18' of water. A scope of 5:1 is fine when anchoring a single boat but when you have multiple boats you should double your scope.  Does anyone use a rope rode?

Pete37

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 14 2007 at 11:02 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pete and all regarding rendezvous,

Just a thought, how about slips in Baltimore? More room there than Annapolis slips, a good place to be in case of bad weather and possibly other owners could attend by car if there boats are uanable to make it or the ones planning on going have a last minute problem. Sounds like you almost have your plans together with a majority agreement so maybe a week end at a marina would work for the next rendezvous.

Dave

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 14 2007 at 12:03 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

Baltimore is a long way off; 30-35 miles for most of us.  And of course slips cost money.  The combination of the extra fuel plus dockage increases the cost quite a bit.  On the plus side , though, you would probably be able to get slips at this time of year and Baltimore is an interesting place to visit.  I'll bounce this suggestion off the group and see what they say.

Baltimore would be a great two or three day cruise for early next spring.

Pete37

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 14 2007 at 18:55 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

If we are only 4-6 boats then a raft up as planned may be a better way to start.  I agree that Baltimore would be a great possible location for a future "Connie" or Chris Craft weekend.  As for this weekend, our vote is still for Little Round Bay on the Severn.

If you are looking to do slips for this weekend, I could check into Mike's Crab house on the South River.  They have plenty of slips (no electric) but I can see if we eat there for dinner if we can stay the night free.

David Ross
"Navigator"

Posted: October 14 2007 at 20:25 | IP Logged Quote David Ross

Pete and others regarding the rendezvous,

Baltimore is about 34 nautical miles from Georgetown, on the Sassafras, where I am located along with three other boats and a couple others further north. About the same or somewhat longer distance then you said the other boats are from Baltimore. I haven't checked but it sounds like the boats going are closer to the area you are considering for the rendezvous and that may be the best choice. However, for our next get together it should be considered to have a central meeting location, or a location of mutual interest or where a lot of boats are located (which I think you have done). The number of boats attending and length of time might determine if a raft up or slips are a better choice. As you mentioned a one day event only leaves a short time to show and tell after allowing arrival and departure time. If a week end is envoved I still feel a slip destination would be best. Considering weather possibilites, break downs, drive downs and other things to do for those on board who may not be as interested in engine rooms, maintainance, war stories, etc., it may make sense and provide for more camaraderie. There are Boat US, USPS, Yacht club reciprocals and other discounts allowed on slips and fuel if you ask or check around. As you know I probably won't be able to attend this one (but am hoping to do so if my schedule should somehow change) but I figured I would add my two cents worth.

Pete, keep this site posted on the final details for those of us who may be able to make a last minute change to attend.

Dave

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 15 2007 at 00:11 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Dave,

Several of the rendezvous participants have said they like Baltimore as a location for a longer (2 day) rendezvous in the spring but think it's too far away and impractical for a rendezvous in late fall weather especially since a couple boats report possible engine problems.

Arlene and I prefer to dock at slips rather than anchoring out but some owners are on tight budgets and want to keep the cost down.  Let's keep Baltimore as a probable destination for an early spring shakedown rendezvous.  By early, I mean the second half of April or the first half of May.  After that it gets hard to find slips.  I wonder whether everyone can get their boats going by that time?

I will post the final details on this site probably on Wednesday.

Pete37

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 15 2007 at 00:28 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Tony & Vicki,

Mike's Crab House (38 57.3 N 76 34.5 W) is OK with me.  I guess Five Star and Vintage Port could make it.  Southern Charm's engine problems are mainly that of achieving top speed.  He could do the 14 miles in about an hour and a half at 10 knots.  But it adds about 4 miles to Still in the Mood's already long trip.  Still in the Mood reports possible engine problems.

But you had better check the size of the slips at Mike's and what the charges would be and let me know as soon as possible.  I checked Mike's docks with Google Earth and most of the slips look too narrow and I can't see where the outer pilings (if there are any) are located.  Also, the docks look to be in rather poor shape.  But I'm looking at it from 22,400 miles away.  I'm sure you can get a closer look.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 15 2007 at 00:50

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 15 2007 at 01:04 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

To the Rendezvous Group,

Arlene and I started to make a short trip on the boat today but had to abort when the the starboard engine wouldn't start.  The started turned but very slowly and the starter clutch seemed to be dropping out.  Checked the starter for overheat but there was no smell and the parts felt cool.  Checked the battery voltage but it was 13.1 volts; plenty for starting.  Did a hydrometer test of the the battery but all cells checked out in the "Good" range.  Finally, I took the battery terminals off, cleaned them and reinstalled them with plenty of torque on the bolts.

That did the trick and the engine started easily.  But I'll have to check it again tomorrow to see if it's really fixed.  For now it appears we are still "Go" (enginewise) for the rendezvous.  Arlene has been sick for about a week but appears to be recuperating quickly.  The doctor will tell us what's happening tomorrow.

Please check this site daily to keep up with the changes.  I will post the final data on Wednesday.

Pete37

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 15 2007 at 01:09 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

To: Those Not Going to the Rendezvous,

Please ignore all the rendezvous talk.  This site is still open for all the other things you may want to talk about.

Pete37

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 15 2007 at 16:16 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

Hi all,

I stopped by Mike's Crab house and spoke with the manager.  There are 6-8 slips that will hold the Connies.  A few have power 30 & 50.  We can dock for free all Saturday and stay the evening for free.  There is a small charge if you plug into the electric.  We would just need to eat there for dinner (crabs, etc ok twist my arm!).  Pete actually stopped by our boat today and said he had no problem.  Vintage Port and us are actually in the South River.  Emory and Jim how do you feel about coming up the South River?

I would need to let the manager know about the reserving the slips by Thursday.  Others who cannot make it by boat could perhaps join us by car for the afternoon or dinner.

Jim, since you are the furthest, the South River is one river past the Severn.  If you are new to the area you would get the full tour of the upper bay!  Thoughts anyone??

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: October 15 2007 at 16:41 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

As of 10 minutes ago, I found I WILL be going to Baltimore Sunday to begin a new consulting assignment.  I kinda like Free docking (so long as we eat dinner) is certainly fine with us.  The fee for electricity is no big deal. South River is OK for us as well.

On other topics, I got the oil and fuel filters changed in both engines today and the port engine which was acting fuel starved now is running clear... I didn't want to have a problem on Saturday!

"Still in the Mood"

JIm & Marie

Ken27
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 15 2007 at 16:50 | IP Logged Quote Ken27

Greetings to all,

Your rendezvous sounds like great fun.  I wish we could be there but we would have had to leave our home port about a month and a half ago to make it.  By the time we got back, I think our water would be very hard.

Everyone have a safe trip.

Ken

Back to Top Printable version View Ken27's Profile Search for other posts by Ken27

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 15 2007 at 20:03 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

Anyone out there who is within driving distance that would like to come for the day is more than welcome!  the more the merrier!   If ok with everyone I am going to secure the end of the dock.  I am going to ask that Vintage Port and ourselves not take a slip with electric since we have the option of being close enough to slip back to our docks late at night.  I will also reserve a table for dinner (for 10?) at this point but if others are able to come at least for part of the say or dinner let me know.  The deck and dining areas are big so it will not be a problem.

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 16 2007 at 00:45 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Delaware Jim,

If you don't already have one get yourself a copy of The Maryland Cruising Guide.  If you don't want to buy it you can probably borrow it from someone on the dock.

I'll be going to Mike's and will leave the Piney Narrows Yacht Haven dock at 9:45 AM in order to be at Mike's at 12:00 noon.  If you feel nervous about finding Mike's we could meet at Love Point Light (39 03.4 N 76 17.0 W) at about 10:20 AM and you can follow me in.  I'll be running at about 10 knots to conserve fuel.

If Emory in Southern Charm leaves his dock in time to be at Mike's at 12:00 noon we will probably see him off Tolly Pt (38 36.0 N 76 26.1 W) at about 11:00 AM.  We could all arrive at Mike's at 12:00 noon in one swell foop.

Let's hope for calm weather on Saturday and Sunday.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 16 2007 at 00:54

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 16 2007 at 00:50 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi Ken,

Good to hear from you.  It's been quite a while.  Sorry you can't make our rendezvous but I guess the fuel cost would be prohibitive.  Did the arches ever come in?  Is your engine painter available?

Pete37

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: October 16 2007 at 09:11 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

This sounds like a plan to us.  We have wanted to cruise the South River since we came to Mill Creek this Summer, but haven't been able to make it.  If we had anchored out, I would have need a dog sitter for the weekend (ever tried lifting a lab off a Connie?).  If we slip, I'll be able to bring our "baby".   Do these slips have finger piers long enough to use the side doors?  I hope so.

I can run off twin 30's if that's available.  If not, I can run on the inverter and alternate with the genset after several hours.  The night may not be a problem with the temps.

If it rains out, we should all still make it to Mike's by car and meet each other.  It'll still be fun.

Emory & Shirley

Marine Survey - Yacht Delivery
www.easternmarineservices.com
Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 16 2007 at 12:23 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

We will have use of the t-head where there is full dock on the end, sides and first slip inside. The slips have finger piers. Not sure if they will reach the doors. We will eye them up. Proposing lite fare lunch (Potluck) on Five Star bow so we can meet and greet. Then we have the afternoon to look and see the boats. Thinking dinner around 6 at the restaurant. Does this work for everyone?

We will have 12 people so far.  If anyone else would like to come by car and join us, please do.  Let me know if you are planning on staying for dinner.

Delaware Jim
"Navigator"

Posted: October 16 2007 at 15:27 | IP Logged Quote Delaware Jim

This works for us on "Still In the Mood".  Right now, I have only 50A and the genny available (I do not have the 30A adapters yet) and the inverter is a "next year" project.  The forecast is for cool and dry, so AC shouldn't be needed...

We will plan to leave the Sassafras about 8:30  Saturday and cruise at 10 knots or so, so we should be there approaching noon.  As I'm the "new guy" with this boat, save me an easy space to dock at! :-)

Jim & Marie

Pete37
"Commander"

Posted: October 16 2007 at 20:12 | IP Logged Quote Pete37

Hi All Rendezvous Goers:

I took a look at the power on Mike's docks this afternoon.  The third dock (the one closest to the bridge) had no power available as far as I could see.  The second dock (the middle dock) had mostly small slips that we couldn't get into and these slips only had 15 amp service.  There were a couple slips with 3 wire 30 amp plugs but I doubt a 50 footer could get into these slips.  Many of the plugs were badly burnt.  There was one slip near the end of the dock which had a 4 wire 50 amp plug but both current carrying wires were badly burned. Vicki says there are two 50 amp plugs so I must have missed one.  Didn't get over to the third dock (the one on the east side) but most of the slips appeared small and probably don't have more than a 15 amp service.  Hope I'm wrong.

Basically, I don't think that you can depend on having power at Mike's although there may be a couple of viable plugs.  Make sure your gen sets are in good shape.

The finger piers appeared rather short.  Don't know whether they would be suitable for a Connie.  Maneuvering space between the docks is also limited.

Five Stars was just leaving Mike's as I arrived.  Perhaps they have more info.

Pete37

Edited by Pete37 on October 16 2007 at 22:28

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 16 2007 at 21:43 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

I only saw the outlets but have no guarantees that they all work.  We nudged part way into the inside slip and should be fine.  If we split between the 2 docks (the one closest to the bridge is not Mike's) then everyone else will have the end of the docks which is about 40 ft and the side docks that are 60 ft plus.  Everyone will have full length dock along side with no outer pilings.  I think that we should be fine.  If anyone is not comfortable staying there overnight then there is plenty of room to anchor out nearby.  We have put our 85 ft boat on all the areas that you will be docking at with no problem.  I am sure that it will all work out.  Hopefully the weather will too!

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: October 16 2007 at 22:47 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

All I ask is that I been given a spot that will allow me to get my dog off the boat. Everything else sounds fine and we can work the electrical between the inverter and genny if that will help someone else with their power needs. 

Emory

Marine Survey - Yacht Delivery
www.easternmarineservices.com
Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

TStellato
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 17 2007 at 14:03 | IP Logged Quote TStellato

Emory,

No problem with that at all.  We are going to go for the first inside slip so that we have the other side of the "T".  If it is too tight then we will be one slip over and be the only ones that will get off from the stern.  There will be signs up reserving the space.

]
] ]
150 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version