Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Murray Chris Craft Constellations
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 149 » 150
Last Post By: David Ross

Posted: March 14 2014 at: 17:23

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

View Last Post 1963 Constellation 42
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:19

View Last Post 2000 Gulfstream 232
Last Post By: DanDDan
Forum: Grady-White

Posted: January 30 2014 at: 11:01

View Last Post Catalina Owners
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 191 » 192
Last Post By: Happy Hour III

Posted: January 18 2014 at: 20:11

View Last Post 50 amp question
Last Post By: Pats2nd Connie

Posted: January 13 2014 at: 17:57

View Last Post Leaving boat
Last Post By: Pats2nd Connie

Posted: January 13 2014 at: 08:17

]
] ]

Trojan
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Trojan
Subject Topic: Steering That Trojan Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Rick1954
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 16 2006 at 10:51 | IP Logged Quote Rick1954

I took her out for a run on Saturday, wanted to see how well she would run after doing the gas tank and a fresh tune-up. That boat can move, at 3300 rpm I think I was on the prop, WOT is 4200rpm donít know that I need to go there.

Had a heavy wind starboard coming out of the slip, dam boat would not turn port. I am a newbie so I wasnít sure how much throttle to give. Everyone was looking and thinking the boat was staling, no just a very quiet engin. A little push off from the bow got her to turn port.

Going back to my slip was another story, however, everyone was waiting for me (you think they were protecting there boats) I was so bad I had to pull in bow first. That kind of made it easyer to bring her over to the area to remove her from the water.

Boy Do I Need A Lot Of Practice

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 16 2006 at 16:05 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

Single or twin engines?

Back to Top Printable version View Coralkong's Profile Search for other posts by Coralkong

Rick1954
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 17 2006 at 07:29 | IP Logged Quote Rick1954

Single, a twin would be easy

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 17 2006 at 07:55 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

Yep, singles can be tricky, especially in a "no wake" or "slow" zone with a big strong wind or current.

My advice would be to practice somewhere in a cove, and to not be afraid of it. Sometimes you have to really give it gas (but be prepared to to reverse) to swing the bow around.

You'll get it, it happens to everyone.

One trick I found with my last boat was to "kiss" the piling with the aft end of the boat. Then you can pivot around that and back it into the slip.

Back to Top Printable version View Coralkong's Profile Search for other posts by Coralkong

Rick1954
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 17 2006 at 09:48 | IP Logged Quote Rick1954

The Marina that I am in is kind of like a cove. I have been coming in to the slip starboard stopping aft stepping off and walking her in. When I reverse ,that boat will swing port hard, that was my problem the other day. I am sure that I could have swung the bow around if I gave her some gas, I need to practice. I probably could have walked her out of the slip swung the bow with the wind and drove her out like I knew what I was doing LOL.

Another thing, what is with that little bitty rudder???

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 17 2006 at 14:47 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

You've got me on that one.

I have thought about actually lengthening mine somehow with aluminum or something similar (don't know how corrosion would affect that, though).

I have twins, so most times it is easier just to steer with the engines at slow speeds. Not as big a problem as in a single engine boat.

Your shouldn't swing hard to port in reverse normally though. I could see a little bit, not it was probably due to the wind or current.

I had a single engine Wellcraft before this Trojan, and it could be a beast to dock. In rough seas (or winds), I almost had to "slam" it back into the slip. Rev it high, then ease it into forward so I didn't hit the transom.

Ahh, yes, the good old days. I was always ready for a beer after those kinds of dockings...

Rick1954
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 18 2006 at 08:17 | IP Logged Quote Rick1954

When I got the boat I looked for any and all information about it. I read an article about the rudder where this person extended the trailing edge. He said it worked well for backing the boat up However, now he had the problem of over steering and never letting go of the wheel. You need to have as much rudder on the leading edge to balance it, so I think it to be easier to just learn what to do and hope for the best.

My idea of swinging hard may be over stated, when I reverse, the boat will go port almost as much as it goes back. Now the other day in all that wind, when I reversed the boat wind at the bow, she backed up straight.

About laying the boat up for the winter, I have a few questions if you wouldnít mind :

Do I need to remove the water lines from the sea pump, or will it drain out?

Is there a drain plug in the tran-cooler to remove the water?

The last pages are missing from my manual, just as it tells you to remove a hose from the upper ----( to dump antifreeze in) What hose we have many?

Rick1954
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 20 2006 at 07:58 | IP Logged Quote Rick1954

Once again, I have a real need to have a question answered, and not one person can respond. I would like to thank the two people that had responded to my posts, and give a boo-hoo to the people that sit back and take.

I will no longer post anything on this site at this time ,nor will I monitor same .My enthusiasm will be taken else-ware. Thanks again.

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 23 2006 at 18:15 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

Gee, then I guess I'd better not offer you this advice:

First, you need to relax. Knock it off. I think you'll find that Trojan owners are a "laid-back" kind of group. I tried to explain that to you nicely in your last post. You being caustic probably doesn't increase your chances of a response. In other words, this is about all you'll find. Try boatered.com or Trojanboats.net if you need an IMMEDIATE answer to a generalized question.

Second, sorry I was on vacation, and didn't have the internet.

Third, I have an "extra" engine manual. What kind of engine do you have? I don't have the original engines in mine anymore, so if you want the manual (if they are the same as yours) and are willing to pay for shipping, you can have it.

Fourth, good luck. Trojan owners are a dying breed. We could use you around, but you need to chill out.

Let me know if you're interested in the manual.

mcollins@qcinnovations.com

RWS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 24 2006 at 05:46 | IP Logged Quote RWS

RSM:

Slow is always the best way to go, unless you are dealing with a wind, current or both.  Before you get back to the dock put your fenders out.  Don't be afraid to apply throttle to one or both engines in FWD or REV.

The BEST THING  for you to do is to go out somewhere and PRACTICE hossing that boat around. Find a piling somewhere out away from people and play around with the throttles and wheel. Get familiar with how to pull that transom up to the dock , and get to know how to use prop walk to your advantage.  Know where the relational fulcrum turning point is on your vessel, it will help you when you are thinking through your maneuvering around the dock.

Remember, we all started out the same as you, only difference is the PRACTICE.

Good Luck,

Running With Scissors

Rick1954
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 24 2006 at 08:08 | IP Logged Quote Rick1954

Some times I cant just chill out. Every thing is coming at me in such short time. Needed to take care of the engin so I could have the boat wrapped. Wasnít able to get the information needed so I winged it. I really donít want or mean to be caustic, just donít want to replace the engin because it cracked. I feel what better place to get the answers you need , but from a Trojan Owners group.

I get it, fine, I am the young pup, always in a hurry to get no where fast. I will be good.

This is what I did to winterize the engin, I removed all the plugs in the manifold, opened the drains in the side of the engin to remove the water. Now I was uncertain if the fresh water pump would drain, so I removed the hose from that pump from the engin. I than keep adding anti-freeze to the hose, and would look at the pickup screen to see if it was coming out. Yes it does, I am sure only because it is old and lets the water bypass the pump. Once I seen the pink stuff come out I was sure that the pump and transmission cooler had no more water in it. I also did that to each manifold to be sure that no water was lift in. I then replaced all the hoses and filled the engin block the same. I would think that should do it.

I used a vacuum to remove any water that was in the bow, you know, the water the pump will not pump out. (That setup needs work) to my surprise under the pump I found this hole the size of a pencil, and in that hole was a large amount of water, what the heck is that. I used the vacuum on that spot for 20 min and removed a lot of water. I am going to make the hole bigger so it will pump out better. If I didnít find that, that could have done some damage.

I have all the removable teak wood removed for refinishing over the winter, I have all the drawings made to send to flexeteek for the back deck. I will let every-one know what that cost will be. I will be restoring this boat and will do my best to pass on the information, next time I post I will make it Ricks Restore

RWS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 26 2006 at 07:07 | IP Logged Quote RWS

If that hole is the same as on my 33' International, it's simply a drain that goes between the liner and the hull. When we did the repower and had the fuel tank removed, we relocated the aft bilge pump lower by cutting out a small section of that liner and mounting the pump directly to the hull itself.

We don't winterize here but don't forget your fresh water system, ice maker, water heater tank, lines, waste water tank & lines and all your strainers, including the gen set.

Good Luck,

RWS 

Rick1954
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 26 2006 at 07:47 | IP Logged Quote Rick1954

Thankís, that is what I though that little hole was. If I didnít see it, I would think it could have been a bad thing for the bottom side of the boat when it would freeze. I was thinking about doing the same with the pump, but wanted some input first, Thank you.

Donít have a gen set as of yet, but will, I think that is # 57 on my list of things to do to her.

I just put her in the water in August, she was in dry-dock for three years. Never outfitted her with anything but fuel, so she is dry from having fresh and black water.

Oh to be in a place that I didnít need to remove her from the water ( some day) .

Thank's again

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version