Our Claims Department is available to assist you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you require emergency assistance, please contact us immediately at 800 937-1937.
In the event of an accident, you should immediately:
- See to the welfare of any injured people
- Do not discuss fault or cause with anyone
- Notify the local marine authorities
- Report the accident to BoatUS Claims
To report a claim, request dispatch of salvage, pollution containment or other expert resources, simply call 1-800-937-1937 or you may report your claim online. A boating expert is always standing by to assist you.
We'll take the information about your accident over the phone, then ask you to get an estimate from the repair facility of your choice and send it to us, by mail or fax. Our fax number is (703) 461-2843.
Overview of Claims Process
Reporting Damage to your boat and/or trailer
- 1. First and most important is to take all necessary steps to protect the boat from further damage.
- 2. Report your loss to BoatUS either online or by phone at 1-800-937-1937.
- 3. Your claim will be assigned to an adjuster who will contact you with specific information on what is needed for your claim.
Reporting a boating accident with an injury or damage
to another person's property
- 1. See to the safety and welfare of any injured person.
- 2. Do not admit liability or make any promises to another party.
- 3. Report your loss to BoatUS and the local authorites (if required by law).
1. We will gather the facts of the loss. We will ask you for an estimate from your chosen repair facility. That estimate should show a breakdown of parts and labor. We may ask you for a written statement of what happened, a list of property lost or damaged, witness information, or a diagram of how the loss occurred depending on the claim.
Settling a claim for damage to your boat and/or trailer
- 1. Your claim will be processed in accordance with the terms and conditions of your policy.
- 2. Once coverage is determined, and all information is received, payment is made to you and any lien holder shown on the policy declarations page.
- 3. You, as the boat owner, are the only one who can authorize repairs to your boat and/or trailer. However, we recommend that you wait until we approve the estimate so you know exactly what is covered by your policy.
Settling a claim for a boating accident with an injury or damage to another person's property
- 1. We will investigate the claim and your liability to the other person(s) will be determined if the claim involves an injury or damage to another person's property.
- 2. Once coverage has been verified, and based on your degree of liability (negligence), settlement is offered to the third party subject to receipt of an executed release. This release protects you from any further claim arising out of this accident. Once the executed release form is received, payment is made to the third party.
- 3. You should not admit liability, fault or responsibility to anyone. Doing so could jeopardize coverage.
The claim is closed upon completion of the investigation, settlement is made and payments are sent.
For more information, visit our Claims Frequently Asked Questions or contact us at 1-800-937-1937.