Washington Boating Information
Registration Questions:(360) 902-3770
Boating Registration Website:http://www.dol.wa.gov
State Tax Department Website:http://dor.wa.gov/Content/Home/Default.aspx
Registration Grace Period (Days):60 days
Boat Sales & Use Tax Rate:7-9.5%
Credit For Tax Paid In Another State:Yes
State Decal Required For Documented Vessel:Yes
Boat Titles Issued:Yes
Notes:Local sale and use tax apply.

State Fuel Tax Refund
Recreational boaters can apply for a partial refund of the state sales tax on highway motor fuel. The refund, 8.2%, is currently based on an average $1.60 paid per gallon. The state will process refunds when at least 54 gallons of gas is purchased. Boaters can claim a refund on purchases made within the past 13 months, and must include all sales receipts with the claim. For additional information please visit http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/ftrefunds.html

In order to apply for the refund, call the Washington State Department of Licensing's Fuel Tax Section at (360) 664-1838 to obtain a permit number. Once that is issued, and an application for the refund will be mailed.

Boating Law Administrator(360) 902-8836
Maximum Speed Limit:60 MPH over 10,000 lbs and must stay out of left lane, otherwise Posted Speed Limit
Maximum Dimensions For Trailer:53'L x 8'6"W x 14'H
Maximum Overall Length with Vehicle & Trailer:75'
Minimum Weight Requiring Separate Trailer Brakes:3000 lbs. or less than 40% of towing vehicle's weight
Trailer Equipment Requirements:
Safety Chains:Yes
Brake Lights:Yes
Clearance Lights:Yes
License Light:Yes
Turn Signals:Yes
Breakaway Breaks:Yes if requires brakes
Two Trailers:No
Insurance:Not required specifically for the trailer, may fall under the vehicle insurance
Oversize Permit Office:(360) 704-6340
For specific questions about boating issues or BoatUS Government Affairs, please e-mail the department at GovtAffairs@BoatUS.com