NEWS from BoatUS
Boat Owners Association of The United States
880 S. Pickett St., Alexandria, VA 22304
BoatUS Press Room at www.BoatUS.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact: D. Scott Croft, 703-461-2864, SCroft@BoatUS.com
Top Ten New Years Resolutions To Make You A Better Boater In 2008
ALEXANDRIA , Va., Dec. 18, 2007 – From the nation’s largest association of recreational boat owners, BoatUS, here are ten New Year’s resolutions that can help you be a better boater in 2008:
- Take a boating safety course. The BoatUS Foundation for Boating Safety and Clean Water has a free on online course that can be taken in the comfort of your own home at http://www.BoatUS.org/onlinecourse If classroom instruction is more your style, find out what courses are being offered near you at http://www.BoatUS.org/courseline
- If you trailer your boat, know your state’s trailering laws and learn what you need to do to stay safe on the highway by going to http://www.BoatUS.com/trailerlaws
- Lend a hand to your fellow boater by sharing your knowledge and participating in the discussions taking place on the online message boards at http://www.BoatUS.com/forum Or, try the boat groups at http://www.BoatUS.com/boatgroups
- If you live in the hurricane belt, make a hurricane plan for your boat and your club by visiting http://www.BoatUS.com/hurricanes You’ll find a free, downloadable hurricane preparation worksheet, guide and sample marina and club hurricane plans.
- Brush up on the waterway rules of the road by viewing animated depictions of boats avoiding collisions, safely passing each other, and operating in narrow channels at the BoatUS Foundation’s free online “Toolbox” at http://www.BoatUS.com/foundation/toolbox
- If you are a female boater or angler, consider attending a women-only boating, sailing or fishing seminar in 2008. Go to http://www.BoatUS.com/women for more information.
- Learn the key legal differences between on-the-water towing services and salvage operations by visiting http://www.BoatUS.com/salvage It could save you a lot of aggravation and money.
- Register your Digital Selective Calling (DSC) VHF radio and take a free online tutorial at http://www.BoatUS.com/mmsi This could greatly help potential rescuers pinpoint your location.
- Get informed about how you can help stop the spread of invasive species by going to http://www.BoatUS.com/InvasiveSpecies
- Make sure you sign up for the free BoatUS National Recall Alert Registry at http://www.BoatAmerica.org/recall This gives boat builders a way to contact you in case a safety defect is discovered that affects your boat.
Happy Holidays from everyone at BoatUS and may your boating or fishing be great in 2008!