Nebraska Boating Information
Registration Questions:(402) 471-0641
Boating Registration Website:
State Tax Department Website:
Registration Grace Period (Days):60 days
Boat Sales & Use Tax Rate:5.5%
Credit For Tax Paid In Another State:Yes
State Decal Required For Documented Vessel:No
Boat Titles Issued:Yes
Notes:Local Sales and Use Tax also apply.

refund for highway/Road fuel taxes paid on marine fuel:
As of January 1, 2005, boaters wishing to apply for a refund of the state highway sales tax paid on gasoline used in their boats must fill out Form 84, available at Boaters must be claiming a refund of at least $25 and need a receipt that indicates that the gas was used in an unlicensed, or non-highway vehicle. For more information, call (800) 554-3835.

Boating Law Administrator(402) 471-5579
Maximum Speed Limit:Posted Speed Limit
Maximum Dimensions For Trailer:40'L x 8'6"W x 14'6"H
Maximum Overall Length with Vehicle & Trailer:65'
Minimum Weight Requiring Separate Trailer Brakes:3,000 to 6,500 on at least 2 wheels, over 6,500 all wheels
Trailer Equipment Requirements:
Safety Chains:Yes
Brake Lights:Yes
Clearance Lights:N/A
License Light:No
Turn Signals:Yes
Breakaway Brakes:Yes, 3,000 to 6,500 on at least 2 wheels, over 6,500 all wheels
Two Trailers:Yes (Up to 65')
Wide Trailer Permit Office:(402) 471-0034
For specific questions about boating issues or BoatUS Government Affairs, please e-mail the department at

Nebraska Boating Alerts:

E15 now at Pumps in Nebraska - Buyer Beware

Testing by the DOE has indicated that higher blends of ethanol such as E15 can cause engine failure in marine engines and currently Nebraska sells E15 at the same roadside gas pumps where you may fuel your trailer boat. E15, or gasoline with 15% corn-ethanol may also be enticing because it is commonly the lowest-priced fuel at the pump. Please make sure to take a good, long look at the pump before selecting fuel for your boat. Currently there is no marine engine warrantied to run on any gasoline fuel containing over 10% ethanol.