Connecticut Boating Information
Registration Questions:(860) 263-5700 
Boating Registration Website:|27864
State Tax Department Website:
Registration Grace Period (Days):60 Days
Boat Sales & Use Tax Rate:6.35%
Credit For Tax Paid In Another State:Yes
State Decal Required For Documented Vessel:Yes
Boat Titles Issued:No

Refund for Highway/Road Fuel Taxes Paid on Marine Fuel:

Recreational boaters can apply for a $0.25 per-gallon refund of state sales tax on gasoline purchased at a highway pump for use on their boat. Additionally, there is a refund of $.29 per-gallon on diesel fuel purchased at a highway pump. One must purchase at least 200 gallons of fuel to apply for the refund, and attach original sales invoices to the refund application.

The refund form, AU-724, can be downloaded off the Internet by going to, Click on "Forms" in upper right.Click on "Motor Fuels Tax Refunds Forms - Boats, other Off Road Use, Exempt Vehicles." For more information, call (800) 382-9463 (in-state) or (860) 297-5962.

  • Registered Boats: 119,496
  • Numbering: All motorboats; sailboats 19.5'+
  • Square Miles of Inland Water: 698
  • Miles of Coastal Shoreline: 618
  • Launch Ramps: 181 - BoatUS Ramp Locator
  • For More Information: (860)434-8638
  • Contacts:
Boating Law Administrator(860) 434-8638
Maximum Speed Limit:Posted Speed Limit
Maximum Dimensions For Trailer:46' L x 8'6"W x 13'6" H
Maximum Overall Length with Vehicle & Trailer:60'
Minimum Weight Requiring Separate Trailer Brakes:3000 lbs.
Trailer Equipment Requirements:
Safety Chains:Yes
Brake Lights:Yes
Clearance Lights:Yes
License Light:Yes
Turn Signals:Yes
Breakaway Breaks:Yes
Two Trailers:No
Wide Trailer Permit:(860) 594-2880
For specific questions about boating issues or BoatUS Government Affairs, please e-mail the department at