Government Affairs Home Federal Boating News Archives

Federal Boating News

September 3, 2009
New Canadian Boater Education Requirement Could
Impact U.S. Boaters

Effective September 15, 2009, Canada is requiring all operators of recreational craft in Canada obtain a "Pleasure Craft Operator Card." It may or may not apply to boaters from the United States depending on several factors:

This requirement does apply to non-residents:

  • If they operate their pleasure craft in Canadian waters for more than 45 consecutive days
  • Or if they operate a pleasure craft that is licensed or registered in Canada (including rented or chartered boats)

For non-residents who are required to comply with this requirement the following methods can be used to show proof of competency:

  • A Canadian-issued pleasure craft operator card
  • A completed boat rental safety check-list (for power-driven rental boats)
  • An operator card or equivalent that meets the requirements of their state or country

Additional information can be found at the following web site: