Immediate notification is required for fatal accidents. If a person dies or disappears as a result of a recreational boating accident, the nearest state boating authority must be notified without delay.
The following information must be provided:
- Date, time and exact location of the accident;
- Name of each person who died or disappeared;
- Number and name of the vessel; and
- Name and address of the owner and operator.
- If a person dies, disappears from the boat, or there are injuries requiring medical treatment beyond first aid, a formal report must be filed within 48 hours of the accident.
- A formal report must be made within 10 days for accidents involving property damage of $2,000 or more, or complete loss of a vessel.
Note: State requirements for Reporting Boating Accidents may be more stringent than Federal (i.e. some States require ALL boating accidents to be reported immediately). Check with the Boating Law Administrator in the State where the accident occurred for proper reporting procedures.