Toms Tips About Sudden Flooding
By Tom Neale, 8/4/2014
1. In addition to appropriate calls for assistance and other safety steps, it's obviously important to try to find the source of the flooding, if you don't already know.
2. Often it's easy to temporarily stop even a big leak. This at least gives time for help to arrive ... or maybe for you to get to shore.
3. But quickly observe how movements about the boat affect the trim of the boat. Also observe the movement of any water you've taken on. Is it starting to move from side to side?
4. Depending on the type of boat, there could be enough water below, where you can't readily see it, to cause sudden imbalance.
5. Because of the possibility of even more flooding at a much faster rate, never put yourself in a position where you won't be able to quickly escape if needed.
Boating and water sports involve risk. Any comments herein should be followed at your own risk. You assume all responsibility for risk or injury to yourself or others. Any person or entity that uses this information in any way, as a condition of that use, agrees to waive and does waive and also hold authors harmless from any and all claims which may arise from or be related to that use.