Toms Tips About Not Getting Creamed
By Tom Neale, 6/23/2011
1. Never assume the other guy sees you…or that he’ll remember what he saw if he does see you.
2. Keep a 360 degree watch.
3. This includes looking behind and around you before you change course or speed.
4. Not only do boats not handle like cars, they handle even less like cars when they’re going fast.
5. Don’t assume the other skippers know about number 4.
6. Look for uncrowded waters for your boating.
7. Don’t operate a boat while impaired and do report others who should be reported. You may be saving their lives and lives of others.
8. Learn and follow the “Rules of the Road”, but be aware that other boaters may not have a clue about them. See http://www.boatus.com/foundation/guide/navigation_1.html