September 30, 2012
Saying Good Bye

September 15, 2012
Reflections on Our 27 Year Circumnavigation

September 1, 2012
Sea of Cortez Sailing

August 15, 2012
Back to the Sea of Cortez

August 1, 2012
After Circumnavigation: What to Take, What to Leave Behind

July 15, 2012
Mexican Booby Trap

July 1, 2012
Tackling the Tehuantepec

June 14, 2012
Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Mexico

June 1, 2012
Sailing northern Costa Rica and Nicargua

May 15, 2012
Costa Rican Cruising

May 1, 2012
New Found Friends in Golfito, Costa Rica

April 15, 2012
It’s a Jungle Out There

April 1, 2012
Hunting and Gathering in Panama

March 15, 2012
Money.... Money.... Money

March 1, 2012
Feel Free Transits the Panama Canal

February 15, 2012
Transiting the Panama Canal

February 1, 2012
Feel Free is Back in the Pacific

January 15, 2012
Charter Skipper for a Week

January 1, 2012
Confessions of a Charter Cat Chef

December 15, 2011
Away to the Andamans Part 2

December 1, 2011

November 15, 2011
Sailing in a Freshwater Paradise

November 1, 2011
To Barf or not to Barf, that is the question

October 14, 2011
Remarkable Cruisers

October 3, 2011
The Sea of Cortez, Another World

September 15, 2011
Panama Canal Here We Come

September 1, 2011
Sailing for Humanity

August 15, 2011
A Hard Lesson on the Hard and Reflections on Boat Work

August 1, 2011
Here Come the Lion Fish

July 15, 2011
The Joy of Books

July 1, 2011
The Sailors of San Blas

June 15, 2011
The Good Life in Kuna Yala

June 1, 2011
The Dirt Dweller in Paradise

May 15, 2011
People of the San Blas, Then and Now

May 1, 2011
Cruising in Kuna Yala

April 15, 2011
Near Disaster in the San Blas

April 1, 2011
At Last in the San Blas

March 15, 2011
Chilling Out in Cholon

March 1, 2011
Ah, Cartagena!

February 15, 2011
Cruising the Cape Horn of the Caribbean Part 2

February 1, 2011
Cruising the Cape Horn of the Caribbean Part 1

January 14, 2011
Aruban Interlude

December 30, 2010
Hunkering Down for a Hurricane

December 15, 2010
A Day in the Life - Our Passage to Aruba

December 1, 2010
Stuck in Curacao

November 15, 2010
Stormy Night Sailing

November 1, 2010
Sailing In The Sticks

October 15, 2010
Safety, Security and Circumnavigating with some tips on how to stay safe

October 4, 2010
Feel Free Transits The Suez Canal

September 15, 2010
Red Sea Sailing

September 1, 2010
FEEL FREEs Voyage Into the Red Sea

August 15, 2010
And just a little further, to Curacao

August 1, 2010
Bonaire Diving

July 15, 2010
Then To Bonaire

July 1, 2010
Cruising Remote Venezuelan Isles

June 15, 2010
Cruising St. Vincent

June 1, 2010
Right Place, Right Time

May 15, 2010
The Spice Isle

May 1, 2010
To the Grenadines

April 15, 2010
We Be In Barbados Mon

April 1, 2010
Atlantic Passage Part II

March 15, 2010
Atlantic Passage Part 1

March 1, 2010
Provisioning for the Atlantic Crossing

February 15, 2010
Atlantic Crossing Preparations

February 1, 2010
Cruising the Canary Islands

January 15, 2010
Out Of Africa

January 1, 2010
Come With Me To The High Atlas Mountains.............

December 15, 2009
Two Years Of Mediterranean Sailing

December 1, 2009
Moving On To Morocco

November 18, 2009
Leaving The Med

November 13, 2009
Reaching The Rock Of Gibraltar Milestone

October 15, 2009
Sailing Spains Costa del Sol

October 1, 2009
Sailing Spains Costa del High-rise

September 15, 2009
Sailing The Spanish Isles

September 1, 2009
At Sea Or On The Hook, These Recipes Travel Well

August 15, 2009
An Interlude At Menorca

August 1, 2009
A Pleasant Passage To Menorca

July 15, 2009
The Agony And Ecstasy Of The Tunisian Coast

July 1, 2009
Tripping Around Tunisia

June 15, 2009
Tales From North Africa

June 1, 2009
Dont Freak If Your Fridge Fails

May 15, 2009
Into Africa

May 1, 2009
Meandering Around Malta, Then Off To Tunisia

April 15, 2009
Low-Tech DIY Ideas For The New Economy

April 1, 2009
The Med Set A Few Cruiser Profiles

March 15, 2009
That Sinking Feeling

March 1, 2009
Thailand to Oman: Three Passages, Three Ports

February 15, 2009
Doing Hard Time in Malta

February 1, 2009
Pirate Alley Part 2

January 15, 2009
Pirate Alley Part 1

January 2, 2009
So Many Islands, So Little Time

December 15, 2008
Cruising With The Bear

December 1, 2008
Versatile Vinegar, The Boaters Friend

November 15, 2008
What I Did In This Summer -- Dock Masters In paradise

November 1, 2008
Over The Top Of Oz

October 16, 2008
The Tumultuous Tasman

October 1, 2008
Sweet Memories Of The Splendid Surins

September 15, 2008
And Then We Were In Malta

September 1, 2008
Feel Frees Siracusan Story

August 15, 2008
The Best of Times, The Worst of Times

August 1, 2008
All Tied Up In The Ionians

July 15, 2008
A Greek Odyssey Our Journey to Ithaca

July 1, 2008
Anatomy of a Near Catastrophe

June 15, 2008
Good-bye Turkey, Hello Greece

June 1, 2008
More Winter Cruising in Turkey

May 15, 2008
Winter Cruising in Turkey

April 15, 2008
Talking Turkey: Marmaris Marina Living

April 15, 2008
The Joy Of The Side Trip

April 1, 2008
Return to Marmaris, And The Budget

March 15, 2008
Passing Time And Dodging The Meltemi

March 1, 2008
Home Sweet Home

February 15, 2008
A Little Working, A Little Cruising

February 1, 2008
Working Our Way Around The World

January 15, 2008
Welcome Aboard Feel Free

January 1, 2008
Liz Tosonis and Tom Morkins Feel Free

January 1, 2008
About Tom Morkin and Liz Tosoni

January 1, 2008
About Feel Free

January 1, 2008
Voyage Itinerary

March 1, 2012
Feel Free Transits the Panama Canal

By Tom Morkin

"Looks like we have a date. We pick up our advisor at anchorage 'F', a.k.a. the 'Flats'. It will be an evening lock up through the Gatun locks and we'll spend the night tied to a mooring buoy in Gatun Lake." Those were the words I conveyed to my shipmates Liz, Terry, Gerry and Tom.

As it turned out it was to be an all Canadian crew for our impending Panama Canal adventure.

We were delighted to have Tom Arnould, a long term sailing buddy, who actually sailed with us numerous times aboard our first boat Hoki Mai, including our first offshore passage to San Francisco in 1985, take time off work in Vancouver to fly to Panama so he could check crossing the Panama Canal off his 'bucket list'. Here we are hoisting our brand new dinghy prior to departure day.

Terry and Gerry are veteran Pacific and Caribbean cruisers who have gone through the canal no fewer than four times. They've crossed once on their own boat Gymnopedies and three times as line handlers on others' boats. This knowledge was a comfort. If we were going to have a problem in the canal it wasn't going to be because of the crew.

I later learned that it looked like we would get my request to go through the locks 'center chamber' which I took as very good news. But first, let me explain how boats go through the canal.

#1 Center chamber

This is usually every skipper's first choice. The boat is positioned equidistant from the side walls and held there by four lines-two off the bow and two off the stern. There could possibly be one or as many as two boats rafted to your boat (not so good).

#2 Side tied to a tug

Tugboats frequently escort freighters into the canal's chambers. When they do they side tie to the wall of the chamber. A yacht side tied to a tug merely ensures their boat is well fendered and secured to the tug and leaves the line handling to the tug's crew.

#3 Side tied to the wall

This is the least popular option for sailboats because the mast of the boat can be damaged should it come in contact with the wall during periods of turbulence.

Skippers have strong feeling about these options and may wait days in order to get the option they request. Why the big deal? Well, imagine the forces within the chambers when the chamber door is closed and 26 million gallons of Lake Gatun water floods into a chamber. To give you a sense of scale consider that the tubes that carry the water from the lake are as large as the train tubes at the Penn Central Railway. Each chamber, 1,000 ft long, 46 feet wide and 50 feet deep, fills in about 5 minutes often with as many as 6 boats inside.

The even greater threat is posed by the prop wash from the freighters and tugboats. Often small boats will be tied only a couple of yards behind an 800 foot ship. When an overzealous ship applies excessive throttle, the resultant wash can send a three foot high wall of water over the deck of a small boat. This easily enough can force lines to part or rip cleats out of decks. 'There can be a lot of shakin' goin' on.'

Our first choice was to center chamber alone (not nested) because although it meant more work for our line handlers it meant we were less reliant on other boats' crews. Should we be nested or rafted to another boat while center chambered it meant the line handling would be shared with the other boat. Two lines would go from the companion boat and two from ours. It also meant if the line handlers on the other boat messed up or if a cleat failed on the other boat chances are it would be our boat that crashed against the canal wall. So if you are confident in your line handlers, lines and cleats and I was, I'd take center chamber every time.

The morning of the transit was spent shopping, securing tires to the side of the boat, flaking out lines on deck, settling our marina bill, and procuring our 'zarpe' (permission from the Port Captain to travel from Colon to Panama City).We slipped the dock lines at 2:00 p.m. and were anchored at the Flats by 3:00 p.m.

It was 5:00 p.m. when the launch bearing Freddy our advisor came on board. That's Tom A. on the left, Freddy on the right. Boats over 100 feet in length are guided by professional career pilots; smaller boats get advisors who generally have full time jobs with the canal authority and act as advisors as a part time job.

Freddy instructed us to weigh anchor and follow the orange freighter with whom we would share the Gatun locks. It was dark as we approached the Gatun locks when I learned that our navigation lights weren't working. This wasn't a major drama in the chambers because the chambers were bathed in light, however, after locking up 85 feet to the level of Gatun Lake and clearing the last chamber we needed to motor 2 miles to our mooring spot for the night. The expression on the advisor's face when he learned about the light failure spoke of his displeasure. Would he delay the transit until we fixed the problem? Would we lose our $890 damage deposit, or be otherwise penalized?

Tom A. took the wheel which freed Liz and me to come up with an ad hoc solution. There's nothing like the thought of losing that $890 or worse, to get the creative juices flowing- fast!

The fix was remarkably primitive. Liz got her green and red permanent marking pens and painted the light bulb on our trouble light which we then hung at the bow. The stern light was simply a big LED headlamp which we taped to the rail at the stern.

By the time we had the “nav lights”, we were just arriving into the first chamber. Once in the chamber it was bang, bang, splash as the men who towered above us some 35 feet hurled four messenger lines with very hard monkey fists attached which crashed onto the deck. The crews' job was to avoid getting hit by these monkey fists, but somehow get a hold of the lines and secure them to the boat's cleats.

Our crews' job was to then tension the four lines to ensure Feel Free stayed in the middle of the chamber. Terry and Gerry worked the bow lines while Tom A. and Liz, the two stern lines.

When the freighter in front of us and we were secured, the mammoth steel chamber door closed behind us. Immediately, a quiet turbulence developed around the boat as the water swiftly climbed the chamber's walls.

As the boat ascended the lines grew slack, but with the boat moving about from the turbulence the line handlers’ challenge was to take up the slack just at the right time, all the time being mindful of the other lines and the goal being to keep the boat in the center of the chamber. My job as skipper was embarrassingly easy. I sat in the cockpit chatting with the advisor who quickly realized that our crew didn't need much coaching.

In each of the Gatun locks' chambers we rose about 27 feet. When we arrived at the level of the next chamber the door in front opened and we motored forward 1,000 feet and the process was repeated. By 8:30pm we were lifted to the height of Gatun Lake. The canal line handlers untied our lines so we were free to proceed to our night's mooring. We said our good byes to the advisor as he boarded the launch that awaited him at the mooring. He was no sooner out of sight and the sound of popping cans of Balboa beer punctuated the quiet of the night. We had to celebrate our success so far, not to mention Feel Free's first night not only in a fresh water lake, but in a lake 85 feet above sea level.

True to their word our next advisor, Avan, was on the boat by 6:00am the next morning. He reported that we needed to cross the 29 mile Gatun Lake to be at the Pedro Miguel lock by 11:00 a.m. to begin our lock down.

The 6 hour trip had us wending through countless large and small islands densely forested in exotic hardwood trees of nogal, teak and mahogany. Under the boat as well were untold millions of valuable trees that were submerged 100 years ago when Gatun Lake was created by damming the Chagres River. Contractors send divers underwater to harvest these very valuable ancient trees that have been pickled for over a hundred years.

Occasionally we passed floating islands comprised of natural debris brought down the numerous rivers and streams during the rainy season. These islands became the habitat for a variety of flora and fauna and have become their own ecosystems.

Upon arrival at the Pedro Migel chamber, the first of the last 3 chambers that would take us down about 26 feet toward sea level, we were advised that we would be locking down alone in all of the chambers. Incredible! Even our advisor was surprised that we weren't being asked to wait for more boats to join us.

So there we were all alone in locks large enough for ships 950 feet in length-all to ourselves! Ironically, the smaller the boat or boats in the chambers the more water is required to lift them. No wonder the canal authority would love it if we small boaters could find another way to go between the Atlantic and Pacific.

We were told locking down was easier and less stressful than locking up for the line handlers. There seemed to less turbulence and the motion of the boat was less animated. (Note protective cushions placed on solar panels.)

It seemed that in no time we were down at sea level and saying good bye to Avan and motoring under the Bridge of the Americas and entering the Pacific Ocean, the ocean that we left 8 years earlier.

Transiting the Panama Canal was truly an experience we'll always remember. Liz and I did it twice and while we enjoyed both occasions, I put it in the same category as sailboat racing - it's great fun, but it is even more fun on someone else's boat. It was a great feeling to go through the Panama Canal, to see the vast Pacific off our bow and to contemplate the Pacific adventures ahead.