Tomís Tips about Nantucket
1. Thousands of pleasure boats make the trip to Nantucket each season. Itís approximately 30 miles offshore. But there are many shoals and cross currents that can cause trouble if you donít exercise prudent navigation.
2. Read up on relevant guide books and navigation resource material before you go and have current paper and electronic charts aboard.
3. Fog ďhappensĒ regularly in this area. Itís one of the reasons they call the island ďThe Grey Lady.Ē Always plan with it in mind, and donít go if you think itís coming.
4. While I usually recommend dinghy exploration at cruising destinations, I donít suggest you do this outside the harbor. The area to the western end described above has many shoals and false channels, and Nantucket is way out in the ocean. Do explore this area, but take a local boat with a knowledgeable skipper.
5. The Nantucket TowboatUS operator can be reached at (508) 257-9625 or on the VHF radio.
to www.tomneale.com for other information
Boating and water sports involve risk. Any comments herein should be followed
at your own risk. You assume all responsibility for risk or injury to yourself
or others. Any person or entity that uses this information in any way, as a
condition of that use, agrees to waive and does waive and also hold authors
harmless from any and all claims which may arise from or be related to that
Copyright 2004-2010 Tom Neale