Toms Tips About Island Communication
By Tom Neale, 7/7/2014
1. Whereas before there was often a question of whether you can call home from the islands, it's much more likely today.
2. Talk to your cell phone company about whether they have reciprocating service where you're going and whether your phone will work there.
3. Sometimes customer service personnel at US companies aren't very familiar with issues in the islands. You may have to call the phone service of the place you intend to visit.
4. WiFi hot spots, even from anchorages, are fairly common now. And there are boosters available that will improve your range for various types of communication. See, for example, www.DigitalAntenna.com
5. If you're really serious, satellite phones may be the answer, albeit an expensive answer. You can also rent these if the trip is to be short.
Boating and water sports involve risk. Any comments herein should be followed at your own risk. You assume all responsibility for risk or injury to yourself or others. Any person or entity that uses this information in any way, as a condition of that use, agrees to waive and does waive and also hold authors harmless from any and all claims which may arise from or be related to that use.