For St. Augustine
By Tom Neale, 11/3/2006
For St. Augustine
1. People anchor to the north and south of the Bridge of Lions, but we consider this to be a poor anchorage as to exposure, holding, other boats dragging, and current. Some anchor in Salt Run, with a relatively shallow entrance and crowds of boats.
2. The Bridge of Lions, built in 1929, is currently undergoing renovation. A temporary bridge is under construction on the north side of the bridge, thus taking up some of the north anchorage. Construction equipment is on-scene.
3. Plan to stay several days and ask your marina about things to do.
4. You’ll be more likely to find dockage if you plan your trip to avoid the spring and fall snowbird migration.
5. There are two very popular and well-stocked factory outlet malls within short driving distance. Check them out.
6. A West Marine is on Route 1 and there are several other chandlery type stores. First Mate Yacht Services and Ships Store at Camachee Cove is well stocked and competitive.
7. We like to get groceries at the Publix in Cobblestone Village on SR 312 (a car is needed for this).
8. The St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park on Anastasia Island is a popular attraction.
9. The beautiful wide beaches at St. Augustine Beach and south on the island draw the surfing crowd.
10. Tour Flagler College while you’re here. The college is centered in and around the former Ponce de Leon Hotel, built by Henry Flagler in 1897 as a luxury resort, the first in the state of Florida. The stained glass is by Tiffany. The hotel is authentically preserved, and used for college dorms, class rooms and offices.
11. St. Augustine is the home of Luhrs-Mainship; the factory is on the San Sebastian River. Hunter sailboats are launched and commissioned at a yard on this river.
12. The San Sebastian Winery offers tours and tasting.
13. If you’re into chocolate, check out the Whetstone Chocolate Factory. You can tour and you can buy fresh from the kitchen.
Go to www.tomneale.com for other tips and information
Copyright 2004-2005 Tom Neale