By Lori Ross for Cooking Challenge Seven from Janet McLaughlin for a Pirate and the Sea Themed Birthday Party.
A pirate-themed no bake cheesecake that was my favorite birthday cake when I was a child:
1-1/2 cups graham-cracker crumbs
1/3 cup butter melted (3/4 stick)
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind and ½ teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
8 oz. cream cheese
1 tbsp milk
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
1 can Redi-whip or other whipped cream
1 can blueberry pie filling, refrigerated
• Mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and pat in bottom of an 8-inch square pan, or a round pie pan, or spring-form pan, to make crust. (Variations: Add crushed walnuts to the graham crumbs. Or use crumbled ginger snaps, lemon cookies, or chocolate cookies as alternatives to graham-cracker crumbs.)
• Mix sugar, milk and cream cheese until smooth and spread this mixture over graham crust. (Variation: Sprinkle with ½ cup walnuts or almonds or coconut.)
• Cover cream cheese filling mixture with whipped cream.
• Mix pie filling topping with ½ tsp of vanilla or almond extract and pour evenly over whipped cream.
• You may serve immediately or refrigerate for 3-4 hours to firm up, and then serve.
• Top the cake with a few toy boats or some Swedish fish plus candles.
Variation: Consider topping the cream with fresh berries or marinated fresh fruit, or another favorite pie filling instead of the blueberries