My Mother's Clam Chowder
Bacon, 8-10 slices
1 or 2 medium size onions, chopped
Potatoes, carrots, celery - about 2 cups cubed or sliced; this is a variable amount. You can add more or less of whatever you want.
Salt and pepper
Old Bay seasoning
1 medium can tomatoes
1 medium can tomatoe sauce
1 large can chopped clams (51 oz - 3 lbs 3 oz)
- Fry bacon in kettle big enough to hold the amount of soup you want to make. When crisp, remove from panm and crumble into bits when cool enough to hande.
- Place chopped onions in bacon drippings along with generous shakes of all the seasonings except salt. (Salt and additional pepper can always be added at the table.)
- Put lid on pan and simmer the onions and seasons for about 1/2 hour.
- Stir frequently being careful not to burn the onions or grease.
- Add the can of clams, juice and all.
- Simmer an hour or two.
- Then add the vegetable and tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Additional seasons can be added at any point along the way if you think it needs it.
- The longer it simmers, the better it gets.