Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Murray Chris Craft Constellations
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 149 » 150
Last Post By: David Ross

Posted: March 14 2014 at: 17:23

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

View Last Post 1963 Constellation 42
Last Post By: eshover

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:19

View Last Post 2000 Gulfstream 232
Last Post By: DanDDan
Forum: Grady-White

Posted: January 30 2014 at: 11:01

View Last Post Catalina Owners
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 191 » 192
Last Post By: Happy Hour III

Posted: January 18 2014 at: 20:11

View Last Post 50 amp question
Last Post By: Pats2nd Connie

Posted: January 13 2014 at: 17:57

View Last Post Leaving boat
Last Post By: Pats2nd Connie

Posted: January 13 2014 at: 08:17

]
] ]

Sea Fox
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Sea Fox
Subject Topic: Well Seafox ’ers??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 11 2006 at 14:49 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

I'm on my 2nd year with a new 21'cc.  So far I love the boat.  No major complaints and I'm pretty happy I didn't plunk down the 48k for the Hydrosport

I looked at.  Saved me 20k +  

Back to Top Printable version View STEELA's Profile Search for other posts by STEELA

Grizz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 16 2006 at 20:11 | IP Logged Quote Grizz

I just purchased a 23.6 walk around w/ a 225 Suzuki should come in any day now. I just can't wait. I am glad to see that you like your  Sea fox.

Grizz

Back to Top Printable version View Grizz's Profile Search for other posts by Grizz

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 17 2006 at 15:57 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

Great Grizz!  I have heard Seafox has some issues here and there...  But I also remember the guy at my marina last year with the huge transom crack in his Brand New Mako!!!  Stuff happens!!!

I have actually had alot of compliments on the boat since there are not too many of them up here in New England! 

Have fun!

Bill

Back to Top Printable version View STEELA's Profile Search for other posts by STEELA

kenola
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 25 2006 at 21:39 | IP Logged Quote kenola

Anybody know anything about the 06 23' walkaround? thinking about buying one to charter. anybody have good advise???
Back to Top Printable version View kenola's Profile Search for other posts by kenola

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 28 2006 at 15:53 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

If they are as cost effective as my 04 21cc, and look like the 05 walk arounds I don't think you can go wrong.  Looks like they pushed the cabin as far forward as possible to maximize the deck/fishing area.  Should have a 100-130 gallon tank in I assume and tabs.

I'm assuming it's 35k or under with power and trailer?

G Spot
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 04 2006 at 17:06 | IP Logged Quote G Spot

I have a 2004 230W/A (225 Merc. 4 stroke) and so far I've had no problems or conplaints to speak of. I've had it as far as 85nm offshore and can tell you it is a fish catching machine.

Edited by G Spot on September 04 2006 at 17:07

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 13 2006 at 13:43 | IP Logged Quote dean s

I bought a 197cc a few weeks ago and so far it's been great.  Have had it in Boston Harbor a few times and I'm amazed how it handles the chop.  4-stroke (Merc. 115 efi) is quiet and plenty powerful.  I was concerned with the brand because jd powers had it rated poorly... but it seems most of the comments you read from owners are positive - and my own experience so far's been terrific.  Before I bought it the salesman told me he'd open his files and I could call any owner who he's sold to... he insisted they'd all have great things to say.  It definitely seems like a great boat for the money so far!
Back to Top Printable version View dean s's Profile Search for other posts by dean s

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 13 2006 at 16:42 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

That's great!  I'm up in Newburyport and it's brutal coming out of the channel.

My 21cc handles like a bull in 3-5' seas....  Hey, in all my years growing up on the water I have seen my share of "Name" brand boats crack, snap, shadder, and split at the keel.  My thing was getting into a new boat and not eating depreciation.  My 21' cc cost 23k brand new, boat moter and trailer.  The same Hydroposrt would have been 47k.....

Good luck with  her!

Grizz
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 13 2006 at 19:25 | IP Logged Quote Grizz

Well I have had mine for three weeks now, Slept on it twice with my wife and small dog. I am just about done with my 10 hour break in period. Can't wait until I can open her up. The intercostal near where I live has alot of manatee zone ( slow no wake ) so I have not benn over 3000 RPM very much.

Grizz

Back to Top Printable version View Grizz's Profile Search for other posts by Grizz

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 14 2006 at 07:44 | IP Logged Quote dean s

Had a funny thing happen with the 197cc last night...  I hadn't tried the live-well before this - but last night at the dock (on a lake in Worcester Ma) I turned on the aerator and the live-well wasn't filling.  While my buddies and I were trying to figure out what was wrong I opened the compartment to the bilge area and could see water gushing into the bilge!  I turned on the bilge pump and shut the aerator - and after a while the bilge dried out...  I don't know if that (the hose) is something SeaFox or the dealer's supposed to connect properly.  I'll get with the dealer today.  Could have been a real problem in a different situation - like if the aerator had been left on while the boat was at a mooring...  I guess this kind of thing can happen...  it's important to keep an eye on any new boat for any "issues" I suppose.  Other than that odd experience the boat's been perfect!
Back to Top Printable version View dean s's Profile Search for other posts by dean s

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 21 2006 at 15:11 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

Jeez!  thru hull to pump, then hose to live well, that hose wasn't connected? 

Yikes!!!!

A guy at my marina had a thru hull fitting pop totally out while underway.  Was

an 04 Mako.  Luckily he had a thru hull plug kit onboard.  Get one of you don't have one. 

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 21 2006 at 15:22 | IP Logged Quote dean s

No kidding...  you'd think stuff like that couldn't happen (regardless of the manufacturer)... when it comes to the safety stuff they should check it with a check-list to make sure nothing will put the boat in danger!  I imagine the Mako's are more expensive than the Seafox too...  Well - I was able to connect the hose where it belongs on the livewell - so everything's cool now.  I will look into a thru-hull plug kit though... the thought of it had never crossed my mind...  thanks.

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 26 2006 at 15:16 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

Funny, I am scared to death of thru hulls.  I really thought about sealing them but didn't.  I got a thru hull plug kit and I switched out the round solid access hatches into my bilge with clear one's.  I like being able to look down in the bilge without the hassle of opening the damns things.

Wooden thru hull plug kit

Lot's of rags and a long screw driver to jamb the the friggin rags into a broken hose or snapped off PVC pipe!

You did good! 

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 26 2006 at 17:25 | IP Logged Quote dean s

I definitely like the idea of clear access hatches.  Are they a pretty standard item you can get at a place like West Marine?

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 28 2006 at 16:19 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

I actually got them at BoatUS "cough" yes West Marine.  I think mine were 10"spin on's.. 2 of them.  It works for me.  I like being able to see in there(More time to grab the ditch bag and 12 pack!!)  LOL

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 29 2006 at 07:53 | IP Logged Quote dean s

Exactly.  I'll have to pick up a few of those.  Any thoughts on winterizing a 4-stroke outboard (EFI)?  I'm going to be keep my boat on the trailer and my preference is to not winterize it so that I might be able to use it on any decent day (and just run the motor every few weeks (or at least once a month).  I live west of Boston, so the winter's are nasty...  but I don't like the idea of having the boat completely out of commission...  I also don't like the idea of doing anything that might mess up a brand new motor...  I guess the question would be how important is it to fog the motor if I can start it and run it every few weeks?

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 29 2006 at 11:11 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

That's a risky deal....  Not sure.  You certainly can start it if you have access to an unfrozen hose, but what will happen to all the water in the engine after you run it?  It'll freeze.  I'm out of Newburyport and live in Derry, NH and I'm not sure I would try that one. Late Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb are pretty much dead ass months I would think(you go out of Boston right?).

I would fog it and let it sit till Feburary then run the fog out of it.  4 strokes are tricky "springizing".. Not like my 2 stroke..

Although I would envy the hell out of you if I heard you were out 12/26/06 on a 55 degree day!

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 29 2006 at 12:05 | IP Logged Quote dean s

Yeah I'm sure you're right...  I've been trying to put out  of my mind how bad the winter's can be because I'd like to boat year round!  I'm out of Framingham - so I have to trail it anywhere I'd go (Cape Cod Bay or Boston generally).  I'll plan to have the dealer fog it in November (and change the oil, and lower case oil)...  what's tricky about the spring start up on a 4-stroke???  I thought it would be an uneventful process...  am I missing something that you know of?

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 03 2006 at 16:55 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

I don't know specifically, I just know from my springizing the tech always asks 2 stroke or 4.  When I say 2, he always says lucky you????  Sorry....

I do know the 4 strokes, particularly Yamaha are having real tough computer issues with E-10 gas......  Not sure how that impacts springizing????

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 04 2006 at 07:50 | IP Logged Quote dean s

Interesting - I'll have to talk to my mechanic...  I've only really heard about e-10 problems with carbed motors or where people have let the gas sit too long (untreated).  A few people I know who've had problems have had clogged fuel filters - but they had mixed e-10 with old gas (mbte) from last year (they had older carbed inboard motors).  So far I'd only heard (and experienced for myself) good things about the Merc.-4-strokes.  I'll post something when I hear from the mechanic...  It's in the 80's in our area today - a good day to be out on the boat and not at work!

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 05 2006 at 12:25 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

I almost played hooky yesterday(couldn't!!)  Gonna be chilly this weekend but so what right!  I contacted S Attleboro Marine(where I bought the Seafox)to price out the Gull Wing Spray Shield(do you have one?)  They look like a pain in the ass but it get's cold out there!!!

So you have a Verado??????

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 05 2006 at 13:33 | IP Logged Quote dean s

Is the gull-wing a full enclosure?  I don't have anything except a bimini top on mine.  I got my boat at SAM also... they seem pretty good.  My thought for this year is that I'll just tough it out when I can get out there...  Sunday and Monday look like they'll be pretty decent - although I did see a small craft advisory at least for the begining of the weekend when I looked yesterday.  Cape Cod Bay was showing 2-4 which is high for that area...  I actually went out last night on lake Quinsigamond (Worcester) just to run the boat.  It's about 7 miles long I believe so it's better than nothting!   I think the motor's a verado - but there's no sticker on it saying so - it just says 115 4-stroke efi.  Sure runs like a top so far.   That must be a pain for you to get to Attleboro for service...  even from Framingham it seems like a haul.  It's another reason I'm going to put off winterizing as long as possible!

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 06 2006 at 14:15 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

Actually gull wing is for a T-top. It covers the frontvertically then 2 wings come out the sides and attach to the gunnels.  More of a spray shield...  SAM seems pretty good.  I don't take the boat there for service.  You're right, too damn far.

I have a 150 2 stroke so any simp can service it.  I'm heading out tomorrow to see if I can get in the Tuna I was in 2 weeks ago.  My son hooked into one(he's 11) and it spooled his Penn 50 with 100lb test. Couldn't stop it.

email me a pic of your boat since Bill and Dean seem to be the only freakin

in the world!LOL

tothirncty@aol.com

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 06 2006 at 16:42 | IP Logged Quote dean s

No kidding!  The forum is a great idea as far as I'm concerned...  I traded in a 2001 Crownline (for the Fox) and they had a great site for all kinds of technical questions...  I have seen a few Sea Fox's around - so I know they're out there!  I don't have any pictures of it yet and I'm completely illeterate when it comes to how to get a picture from the camera on to email!  But I'll work on it.  Send me one of the 21cc when you have a chance if you would - dsiflinger@wingatemgmt.com.

Awesome about the tuna - I may try to get out Monday - between my son's high school football (15yr old) and pop warner (10 yr old) it's the only day I can go.  We also hooked one (I believe it was a tuna) a few weeks ago - but we didn't have a chance...  it was off the Graves.  Are they around the North Shore this time of year?  I also hear there are stripers everywhere... thinking about Cape Cod Bay on Monday.

One thing about the 4-stroke - my gas needle doesn't move.  I'm hoping it'll hold up well mechanically - but so far it just sips the fuel and that's been great.  I talked to the manager at West Marine today about winterizing - he said there's nothing special about spring start-up...  but I'll double-check either with Al or another mechanic I know.

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 12 2006 at 16:07 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

Good luck this weejend!!  I'm hauling out for the winter on Saturday!  Sucks!

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 13 2006 at 14:30 | IP Logged Quote dean s

That does suck.  I've been trying to put the winter out of my mind.  I was in Detroit this week and it was snowing yesterday!  Today they're getting hammered by snow in Buffalo.  Damn.  Where's the global warming they've been promising?!

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 16 2006 at 11:02 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

Hey Dean..  Keep an eye on your boat cushions.  I started getting a pink spot on my leaning post last year.  Now I have 3 there and they are coming thru on every other cushion now.

I spoke today with Carolina Cushions who made them for Seafox.  They are telling me its a micro organism in the cushion that there waste turns into a pink dye like substance.  They say it will just get worse and worse and they need to have them replaced.  I need to go thru S Attleboro Marine though.

I spoke to Al the owner today.  He said they will handle it and make it right.

Sounds too easy!

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 16 2006 at 11:39 | IP Logged Quote dean s

Wow - I hope that's an issue they've eliminated in the current cushions.  I'm planning to take in my cushions for the winter - but I'll look at them closely...  they're not cheap either - so I hope SAM covers them for you.  The bow cushion I bought as an extra was about $300.  Good luck!

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 16 2006 at 16:04 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

Open one up that's zippered and pull the foam out.  should be black foam.

Then look on the inside which is where the pink starts.  I talked to a company

today who said if you see that starting nail it with that kitchen anti bacterial spray as soon as possible.  no guarantees it'll kill it but I guess many times it does.

I'm not happy!  He makes it right or I go down to have a face to face with AL!

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 16 2006 at 16:07 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

Hey also...  great winter web sight!

Marinas.com

thing is awesome for scoping out areas.  Go to "Inlets" and you can actually see photos of fishing grounds...

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 16 2006 at 16:19 | IP Logged Quote dean s

I'll check the site out.  Thanks!  I haven't even winterized and I can't wait for spring already.  I'm definitely hoping to get out once or twice more this year.

I don't blame you for not being happy.  I'm going to take a look at my foam to see how it looks.  Do you leave it exposed to the elements a lot?  Not that it should matter anyway.  So far I've been happy with Al and I keep hearing good things about their service...  I'd be disappointed if they don't take care of you - especially if the manufacturer is backing this up.  Let me know how you make out...  I have a buddy who's interested in buying a new boat from them also (he's spoken with Don and Al) - he'll also be interested in this discussion!  Let me know how it turns out.

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 20 2006 at 12:04 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

Will do!  I leave the cushion in during the boating season but store them inside during the winter.  These spots suck!

I was in Fl, Wed for the day and saw a new 25' Angler laying on the side of the Florida Trpk!  Fell of the trailer and from the looks the thing was moving when

it fell off!

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 20 2006 at 12:29 | IP Logged Quote dean s

Oh man... that sucks.  Too many idiots on the roads... here and in Florida.

I'm planning to get out to the harbor on Sunday.  It sounds like there's a lot going on out there now.  I wanted to take off Thursday but too much going on.   You put your boat away too soon!  I'll have to record the Pats game on the DVR!

Anything new with the cushions?  I haven't looked at mine, I imagine the boat's so new that I shouldn't have a problem.  That's really bad news if they won't take care of you.

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 23 2006 at 11:43 | IP Logged Quote dean s

How much water do you thing should be in the bilge after a day on the water?  Is a gallon or two normal?  My old bow-rider stayed vitually dry...  the 197, on a full day's use seems to take on a couple of gallons.

Great day on the water yesterday, caught some cod, saw a whale, all around great day for the end of October. 

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 27 2006 at 13:43 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

Sorry I've been traveling!  That sounds like a great day!  You got water in the bilge while underway?  That's not right!  Might it be water was already in the bilge when you went out?

Now if it's rough you'll take on water thru the rod holders and other area's like hatches.  This sounds like a leaking thru hull fittinh or the seacock on the live well might be leaking?

Drain your bilge completely dry when the boats out of the water. Use a towell and get it real dry.  I would disconnect your bilge pump at the switch or just disconnect the float.  Then put a hose in the bilge and file it up a foot or so.  Then look below.  I assume you have a thru hull on the bottom of your hull?

If you see any water leaking out on the bottom of the hull then you know where it's getting in.  If nothing, then it's something else.

I'm assuming your bilge pump is fluch to the bilge floor?

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 27 2006 at 13:54 | IP Logged Quote dean s

Bill - thanks for the note.  Yeah - it was a great day - hopefully there are a few more this year.

I'll check out what you're recommending.  I was out in some pretty rough stuff for a lot of the day - and I'm sure I got some water through hatches, rod-holders, etc. - but it seemed like a little more than I should have.  I'll follow up on your suggestion this weekend.  There is a thru-hull for the live-well... that's my biggest concern since I know that hose wasn't even connected from the factory.  One thing I'm thinking is that the hose is loose where it comes into the bilge or connects to the live-well pump.  I'll make sure all that stuff is tight and then I'll try your suggestion.  If all that doesn't work and I take it out again and still get more water in the bilge than I think is normal I'll have them check it out at SAM when I winterize.  Did they take care of your seats?

Tim B
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 29 2006 at 21:28 | IP Logged Quote Tim B

Hi guys. I own a 2005 Sea Fox 187cc with a 90hp Mercury 2-stroke outboard. I shopped for 3 months before buying and feel like I saved on my purchase also. Boat, motor and trailer came to $16,975. I didn't hear bad press about Sea Fox until after buying, although I haven't had any problems and really enjoy my boat.

I've been out of Ponce Inlet Florida a couple of times. Five miles out in about 80' of water has been my greatest venture. I don't know if I want to go our farther with an 18' boat. Most inland boating has been on the St. Johns river near Sanford, FL. It just isn't very exciting with all the Manatee no wake zones.

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 30 2006 at 09:16 | IP Logged Quote dean s

Hi Tim,

Based on what I've seen, and the people I've spoken with who own SeaFoxes, people who own them are as happy as people who own any other boats.  I talked to a dealer at a boat show here (in Boston) about a month ago (who doesn't sell SeaFoxes)...  he said he's been selling boats for 30 years - and he said in his opinion I'll be really happy with the boat (I own a 2006 197cc with a 115 4-stroke).  His point was that everybody's (including SeaFox, formerly Renken) been builidng fiberglass center consoles for many years - and as he put it, they all build them well.  At the dealership where I bought my boat I mentioned to the owner that I had heard a few negative stories, and because of the (comparitively low) price I was concerned.  He said that Seafox has a much lower advertising budget than many of the big manufacturers, and he offered to "open the files" and have me call any or all of his customers to get their opinions.  I didn't take him up on it, but based on my experience so far, they do build a very solid boat that handles tough water beautifully.

I owned a small boat about 10 years ago in Jupiter Florida, it was an 18' Ebbtide.  So I know what you mean about boating down there in the inlet areas.  At least you get to boat year round!  I had my 197 out last weekend about 10 miles out of Boston Harbor fishing for Cod.  It was moderate chop (2' to 4') and the boat did great.  If you venture out in your boat I'd just make sure you have all the proper safety equipment like a good radio, gps, etc.

Good luck with it - I think you'll be very happy with the boat.

STEELA
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 01 2006 at 13:43 | IP Logged Quote STEELA

Hi Dean, yep Al said Seafox is running the warranty paperwork now, but supposedly Seafox is real slow on the warranty up-take side of things.  I'll be snow blowing while they're working on it!.  Your plan on your "water issue" sounds like the right move.  If you get out again, turn on the pump and see if you can see any leaks from hoses or seacocks(normally from the handle bolt).

It sounds like it might have just been wash from rough seas?

That's why I switched out the access hatched to the clear ones.

Tim, just last year I towed in a Triton and a Whaler.  Probably E10 issues but I know they didn't like coming into the harbor being towed by a "value" boat! LOL.

So far I have been out as far as SE STellwagon Bank, approx 26 miles.  I have a 120 gallon tank which helps.  I also found a few guys who want to buddy up when they go out farther.  It's much safer in groups.

Good luck!

dean s
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 02 2006 at 08:33 | IP Logged Quote dean s

Hey Bill...  yeah, I did get out again (Tuesday)...  went out past the "B-bouy" and caught a few cod (one keeper).  It was a great day out.  It got a bit choppy in the afternoon - maybe 2-3'...  but overall it was a great day - like a bonus considering the time of year.  There was a bit of water in the bilge at the end of the day - but never enough to pump out.  I think whatever I'm getting in there is just from normal sea-wash for a day out on the water.  I will have SAM take a look anyway when I winterize - and I definitely want to get the clear hatches you mentioned.  I did coat the edges of the (existing) hatches with silicone - that may be one of the reasons I was getting a bit more water in the bilge than I thought seemed right my last time out... 

Good point on going out (well off-shore) in groups.  I was only a few miles past the b-bouy...  but by the afternoon, as the seas picked up, we were the only boat around.  My 60 gallon tank with the 115 will run for days - but you never know when for whatever reason a boat won't start. 

Anyway - Tim, good luck with the Seafox...  from everything I'm seeing, you'll be very happy with the boat.

Dean

]
] ]
2 Pages 1 2

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version