View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Marine Trader
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Marine Trader
Subject Topic: MT 40 Owner Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Greybeard
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 01 2006 at 17:40 | IP Logged Quote Greybeard

Hi all

I own a Marine Trader 40 built in 1977.  I have owned the boat for about 7 years now and would be happy to answer questions or discuss any aspect of MTs or boats in general.

Some background:

Boating for 40+ years
Member Boat US
Member USPS
I teach BoatSmart and Navigation classes for USPS

I am a west coast boater based in Coos Bay Oregon  I am cruising the San Juan Islands and have limited Internet access so don't worry if I don't reply right away.

Cheers
Back to Top Printable version View Greybeard's Profile Search for other posts by Greybeard

williameldon
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 13 2006 at 15:53 | IP Logged Quote williameldon

Hi Greybeard,

I'm looking to own a 50' MT motoryacht, right now living aboard a 44' Kingscraft housecruiser in Boston area.  I've looked at several 50' MT's but timing is everything, and haven't been able to sell my boat.  I've seen several different engines listed in adverts for these boats...any recommendation on which engine gives best performance, etc.?  Any faults with MT's that I should be aware of?

I also belong to USPS-our squadron and District 12 squadrons are exceptionally good at promoting the USPS courses, especially now that they're available on CD's/PowerPoint -- a great boon for the instructors.

I'd also be interested in hearing about your trip...sounds like a great run.

Reflection
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 20 2006 at 18:17 | IP Logged Quote Reflection

Acquired a 1989 MT (Europa) this spring, well maintained by PO.
Willing to share info about the vessel and our cruising in Maine waters this summer.

Am in need of a heating coil for the 110 VDC side of the water heater (likely original equipment).

Greybeard
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 20 2006 at 19:12 | IP Logged Quote Greybeard

Hi Williameldon

Can't think of any major faults with the basic MT design, but I am only familiar with the standard tri-cabin model.  My engines(2) are the basic non-turbo 120 hp Ford Lehmans.  Not made any more but super reliable and loose enough not to be too fussy.  They just keep on running.  The only problems I have ever had, has been with air in the fuel system and that has nothing to do with the engines themselves.  It is easy to bleed the system though.  Most desiel engines are pretty reliable with clean fuel and regular maintenance.

I try to go up to the San Juan Islands every summer.  It is a 400 mile run up the coast which is sometimes a little iffy.  I am stuck in Astoria on the Columbia River right now due to weather.  I tried to get out today and was beaten back by 8 foot seas and 25 knot winds from the south.  If they were from the north I would be home in less then 20 hours.

Hi Reflection

I have replaced the whole water heater twice, mostly due to galvanic corrosion.  Good luck finding a heating element.  I put in a Raritan heater and have had good luck with it so far.

Is there a spel cheker for this forum? 

Cheers

Back to Top Printable version View Greybeard's Profile Search for other posts by Greybeard

Mcblur
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 22 2007 at 13:14 | IP Logged Quote Mcblur

I've been shopping for a boat for over a year now.  My initial plan was to sell my house this November, buy a boat, and a condo.  My search had narrowed to the SDMY cinfiguration w/ flybridge, w-w/out cockpit. Galley & dinette down.  ie. Kha Shing, Ponderosa, Hatteras, etc.  However, while visiting a 50' Kha Shing in Stockton, Ca., I happened aboard a 56' Angel of the Europa ? configuration.  It was way out of my price range, but I could appreciate the lay-out.  I have recently seen a listing for a 1985 50' Marine Trader (Europa ?) in the Seattle area.  Before I fly up there to have a look, I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this type.  I am 6'-6" tall and need plenty of headroom so that I'm not "hunched" over for the rest of my days.  The lay-out looks like it would suit my needs very well.  What do they call this configuration ?  I've seen other Marine Traders that are basically like 'Trawler' style motor yachts.  Also, I'm not familiar with the Ford Lehman 2704 ET engines. Where are the fuel tanks, are they readily accessible? What is their typical cruising speed & Consumption rate, are the good vessels in the open ocean? Any other questions I should be asking?
Thanks for any input.
Murray

Greybeard
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 22 2007 at 17:06 | IP Logged Quote Greybeard

Hi Murray

My MT is a little shorter than what you are looking for but I am very happy with it.  For a 40 it has lots of headroom for me but I am only 5'10"  I just measured it at 6'5"  at one of the cross beams, add 2" to the head liner. 

I am not familiar with the engines you are asking about but the Lehman 120's I have are great.  At 7kts cruising I burn about 3.5 gals per hour total for two engines.

The fuel tanks are located outboard of each engine and are not accessible at all.  If I had to get to them I would probably cut out the hull.

It is a great sea boat, I use it in the Pacific Northwest and it gets pretty nasty up here.

Mcblur
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 22 2007 at 17:59 | IP Logged Quote Mcblur

Greybeard
Thanks for that info.  I've just seen one of these in Florida refered to as a "widebody".  The beam on a 50' is about 15'10". I've found in the SDMY's that the headroom in a 50'-er is a couple inches more than the 44'-er's due to the "spring point" of the overhead being about 12" further apart, hence more elevation throughout.  What is the beam in your 40?
I think I'll contact the broker in Seattle and see if he can get some measurements in the salon/pilothouse as well as the  staterooms before I decide to fly up there.
Thanks again,
Murray

djogerst73
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 23 2007 at 21:53 | IP Logged Quote djogerst73

Murray,  Sounds like you are still undecided .  I recommend that you purchase a POWER BOAT GUIDE (www.powerboatguide.com) This "bible" of over 1700 Trawlers/Cruisersa sells  for about $80 but is well worth it.  The specks ,floor plans, and prices greatly simplify a search and/or eliminate a candidate boat.  If you are still considering a Marine Trader go to www.MTOA .com.  This webb site used to be the Marine Trader but is now the Marine Trawler Owners Association site.  Good Luck DAVE

Greybeard
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 24 2007 at 00:41 | IP Logged Quote Greybeard

Murry

My beam is 14 feet.  I agree with David do the research.  I have always thought that MTOA whatever they are now calling themselves was way overpriced.  You might want to join the Trawlers and Trawlering T&T mail list. They have about 1100 members and a wide range of contributors.  Best of all they are free.

trawlers-and-trawlering@lists.samurai.com is their list address but I am not sure what the sign-up page is.  Someone at that address will direct you to the right place. They are well worth the effort for information on trawlers.

pbrads1021
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 10 2008 at 14:17 | IP Logged Quote pbrads1021

I am looking at a 77 MT 40' DC.  The marina pulled the boat out and placed on trailer.  When putting it in dry dock they scraped the keel on the trailer.  About the first two to three foot of the keel has been scraped enough that there is a gap in the keel large enough to put your hand in. They say they will repair the damage.  Other issues: Engine has 3400 hours. Still has teak decks, no apparent deck leak damage inside. Rudder is not operting, chain driven stearing, possible broken chain or off track.  Several windows not operational.  Asking under 60k for boat.  What do you think? What should I be looking at for this particular boat?  Thanks    
Back to Top Printable version View pbrads1021's Profile Search for other posts by pbrads1021

Greybeard
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 10 2008 at 15:03 | IP Logged Quote Greybeard

On the surface it does not sound too bad. If the yard does a good job on the repairs.  3400 hours on the engine is OK if it has been maintained properly.  I don't suppose there is a maintenance log to look at?  The steering is probably minor, does the wheel turn?  Opening windows on a boat are a royal pain.  If they work they leak.  Seal them up and forget them.

There is no substitute for a good survey.  The price sounds good use some of the money you are saving and have a survey done.  Wait until after the yard repairs the keel.  I assume it has a single engine, it would be worth it to have an oil analyses done on it.

Marine Traders were made in several different yards in Taiwan, some are better than others.  Look at the fit and finish of the woodwork you can't see, pull out drawers and see how the framing was put together.  If if looks good it is on indication that the work was done right.  If it is sloppy I would look real hard before buying that one.

Check around in the engine room If it is clean and neat it is a good indication that the previous owner took care of things.

Get the survey!!

djogerst73
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 10 2008 at 19:59 | IP Logged Quote djogerst73

For pbrads 1021

Contact MTOA Marine Trawlers Owners Assoc (formerly Marine Trader Owners assoc)  When you join you will receive a CD which documents all problems experienced by Marine Trader owners.  Also you will have access to a forum of members  more than willing to help with any problems. See MTOA.net

Gettinlucky
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: December 04 2011 at 10:46 | IP Logged Quote Gettinlucky

Hi Greybeard I have a 47' Tradewinds I need to know the
lifting capacity of the hoist that was fitted to these boats
Back to Top Printable version View Gettinlucky's Profile Search for other posts by Gettinlucky

Sailorman240
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 16 2013 at 08:38 | IP Logged Quote Sailorman240

Sailorman240
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 16 2013 at 08:45 | IP Logged Quote Sailorman240

We have a 1986 40 Sundeck MT we bought last year. We had a very good surveyor and knew we had many problems from PO neglect. the price was right and my wife said sell the sailboat , I want the trawler. Now we have a slight fuel leak that seems to come from underneath the port fuel tank. The engines are 250 HP Volvos w/1200 hours, Huge with no room in the ER at all. The tanks are steel covered in fiberglas.
Can't see exact location of leak. Takes a oil absorbent pad a few days to fill up.

Any Ideas on the repair or stop gap fix? Any one else with the same problem?

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version