View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Century
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Century
Subject Topic: Century Walkarounds Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
plunderdog
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 23 2006 at 14:25 | IP Logged Quote plunderdog

Looking for other owners of Century Walkarounds to find out what kind of problems you've had.  We have a new 2006 2400 Walk and enjoy it.  One problem we have is storage - not much!  We use the fishbox for lines, cleaning supplies, etc.  How much draw (in amps) does the fridge use per night?

Thanks,

Edited by plunderdog on August 01 2006 at 15:20

century2400
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 27 2006 at 11:53 | IP Logged Quote century2400

We've had our 2400WA about 3 weeks now. It's a great boat. Got the single Yamaha 250 4-stroke.

Haven't run into any storage problems yet, but like you, I also use the fish box.

Don't know how much current the fridge uses. It's been recommended to me to plug into dock power overnite and run the fridge off the battery charger.

Enjoy your new boat!

Back to Top Printable version View century2400's Profile Search for other posts by century2400

plunderdog
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 01 2006 at 12:32 | IP Logged Quote plunderdog

Thanks for the info; I installed shore power on the boat and we run the fridge off power while in the dock.  But when we overnight, I've run the battery down quite a bit. The battery selection switch was installed incorrectly; we were drawing off the port engine battery instead of the house battery.  Just got that fixed by the dealer.

Chummer
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 23 2007 at 19:10 | IP Logged Quote Chummer

Even though this forum has been asleep for a year, I'll add my two cents.

I own a 2002 2600 WA.  Great boat, but there are a lot of things that Century could've done better.

Cons
1) Too much wood in my model year.  I'm not sure if later years are wood-free or not, but I have to be diligent about sealing all exposed wood with epoxy and sealants.
2) This hull pounds too much.  I'm almost always driving in 2-3' chop, and I have to slow to 21 kts to keep from pounding too heavily.  The deadrise is 19 degrees, which could be contributing to this as well, but I think a lot of this is the substantial chining on the hull.
3) The hardtop brace has cracked twice and sheared the mounting bolts on one side.  This could be related to the hull's pounding.
4) The 2001 and 2002 model years were advertised with 200g fuel tanks.  After coming back in on fumes, I discovered they actually have 150g fuel tanks.

Pros
1) The hull is very strong and the stringers are probably oversized for this size of hull.
2) The lifting strakes and chines, while probably contributing to the pounding in choppy seas, seem to make the hull very full efficient and stable.  In clean seas, I will get close to 2 mpg.  In rolling seas, I've always felt stable with little roll moment.
3) On my most recent crossing to the Bahamas, we battened everything down, zipped up the Isinglass, put on our safety gear and crossed in 4-6' head seas.  Put the autopilot on, throttled down to 7kts and took our time.  Never felt uncomfortable.

2002 Century 2600 WA
(2) 200 Yamaha HPDI
150g fuel capacity with 100g auxiliary bladder
Furuno NavNet2, 6kW radar, 1kW sounder, autopilot, Sirius weather
18' Taco Telescoping Outriggers

Here's a picture from our last trip over to Port Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island in March 2007.

Here's a picture
Back to Top Printable version View Chummer's Profile Search for other posts by Chummer

BahamaBound
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 09 2007 at 17:03 | IP Logged Quote BahamaBound

Nice looking boat, Chummer. 

We own a 2005 2600WA w/ Yamaha 150 4-strokes.  Set up is very similar to yours with hardtop and the Taco outriggers.  No radar or autopilot.  Also trailered.  Overall we find this boat perfect for us in South Florida. We do some cruising, fishing, snorkeling and entertaining friends.  Try to get out  1 - 2 times weekly.  With the 4-strokes I frequently get 2.3+/- mpg at 25 -30 knots depending on load.  The fuel economy is terrific for a fairly heavy 26' boat.  Where are you located?

The ride and handling are typically great, but I too find the ride very rough in the frequent  2' - 3' chop, and now often plan outings between one inlet to a second, with the chop on the stern.

Usable storage is poor. While the cabin will hold a lot of "stuff", a lot of wasted space below the raised helm and cabin bed.  The 2007 models have installed storage in these areas and I intend to replicate in my boat.

Our ownership experience has been mixed.  We bought our Century new, partially based on the strength of Yamaha Corp. ownership and stability.  We love our boat, but the dealer experiences have been horrible.  The 1st year of ownership was continued frustration due to poor dealer service, overcharges and no follow-through.  We initially had a lot of problems with electrical gremlins (lights, refrig, windlass, several pumps, etc.), many of which went unresolved.  Then the two dealers we dealt with had their dealerships pulled by Yamaha, leaving us with no dealer for warranty repairs. 

I finally went straight to Century corporate and have since been well cared for and the gremlins resolved after an excellent mechanic they referred replacing parts and rewiring.  I did a lot of work on my own and identified the original dealer-installed batteries as too small for the boat.  This one change by Century resolved 90% of the issues and the boat is working well now.

I'd give the overall design, utility and materials high marks.  Fit and finish are inconsistent.  Yamahas motors are wonderful.  Century gets a B+, but dealer network a D-. They are trying to resolve this.

Haven't made it to the Bahamas on this boat yet.  Needed to cancel two trips to the Abacos.   Port Lucaya would be a nice trip ... have been there many times.  We'll try for Guana Cay again next June if possible.

Who do you use for insurance?  originally a great rate, State Farm just jacked my premium by 50%. I've got a few good quotes, but only cover 75 miles offshore.  State Farm covered most of the Bahamas.

Tight Lines 

P.S.  Unfortunately picture upload not working...

Back to Top Printable version View BahamaBound's Profile Search for other posts by BahamaBound

Chummer
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 10 2007 at 10:41 | IP Logged Quote Chummer

Hi BB,

I'm located up the coast in Palm Bay, meaning that I do a lot of my trips out of Sebastian Inlet.  I originally purchased the boat to chase tuna, so it's not uncommon for me to make a +250nm round trip run - largest was 315nm.  I accomplished this using a fuel bladder after learning the main tank was only 150g.

My motors are 200hp HPDI.  I've recently completed a complete overhaul that we believe was due to excessive carbon buildup - probably due in large part to NOT use of nothing high quality TC-W3 oil and Yamaha ring free.  Will be using full-synthetic 2-stroke oil, ring free and Chevron Techron fuel to see this doesn't keep things clean.

As for insurance, I own my boat outright and stopped carrying coverage when prices exceeded $3K per year.  If the insurance drops back down to something more reasonable, I'll probably get it re-insured.  My original carrier was Progressive and they still seem to offer the best pricing out of the pack so far.  And I'm wondering what coverage for my Bahamas runs will cost.

Chummer
Back to Top Printable version View Chummer's Profile Search for other posts by Chummer

BahamaBound
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 10 2007 at 11:39 | IP Logged Quote BahamaBound

Chummer:

A friend has a house in Palm Bay.  Actually going to pick him up for a golf trip in a few weeks.

You run offshore much more than we do.  We are typically fishing the reefs or Gulfstream within 1-4 miles of shore.

Progressive actually gave me a very a very competitive quote of $1,500 yesterday for full coverage (I included $2,500 for towing).  They cover you in the Bahamas, but only 75 miles from US ... 125 miles with an optional rider.  I think that'll cover your Port Lucaya trips, but not our planned run to the Abacos as they are approximately 160 miles out.  Still debating...

By the way, having no luck uploading pictures here.  They've been reduced to the proper size (480 x 640). Did you have any problems

BahamaBound

Back to Top Printable version View BahamaBound's Profile Search for other posts by BahamaBound

Chummer
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 11 2007 at 09:31 | IP Logged Quote Chummer

I upload my pictures to an acct I created on photobucket.  After uploading, it will show you what the URL is to link to the picture.  You then can add the link using the picture icon without the arrow.

Chummer

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version