View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Bertram
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Bertram
Subject Topic: Fiberglass Tank Replacement Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
jward
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 17 2006 at 17:52 | IP Logged Quote jward

Just a note to other with Bertram 28 owners.  Based on Boat US and other sources of information regarding the effects of Ethanol added to the gas this year I replaced our beautiful fiberglass gas tank with a custom made aluminum tank.

How sad and expensive. If other have any questions on our experience feel free to ask.

Back to Top Printable version View jward's Profile Search for other posts by jward

big_kuhana
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 05 2006 at 18:04 | IP Logged Quote big_kuhana

Does anyone know if a 1970 Bertram 35 used fiberglas tanks??? Can gas still be bought at Marinas without Ethanol? I have seen gas station pumps in our area of Virginia stating that the gas is 10%Ethanol but other pumps do not seem to have it in their gas. Is this usually done on a state level or it is up to individual stations?

Back to Top Printable version View big_kuhana's Profile Search for other posts by big_kuhana

tomdel
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 05 2006 at 18:30 | IP Logged Quote tomdel

you should be able to tell if your tank is fiberglass  just  by looking at it.  as far as  ethanol in gas i am not sure.

jward
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 06 2006 at 08:44 | IP Logged Quote jward

I beleive the Ethanol requirment is a Federal mandate, however certain states that meet certain standards and may not require Ethanol.

Marinas are required to follow the same standards as highway.

My guess is that your 35 Bertram is fiberglass. When looking at the tank it will clearly look like hand liad fiberglass.

Back to Top Printable version View jward's Profile Search for other posts by jward

big_kuhana
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 06 2006 at 09:54 | IP Logged Quote big_kuhana

Thanks for the input. I am in the process of buying the boat and haven't had a chance to inspect it yet.  Based on reading the Bertram forums, it seems that there is a lot of contraversy about whether this is a real problem or not. There is speculation that it might be caused by the resins used pre 1989 and that one fix would be to use newer resins to reseal the tank, others are just going to see, some argue against aluminum for the same problems attrubuted to the fiberglass and go with stainless steel (I'll bet that is not cheap). A lot of the owners seem to be thinking about repowering anyway so that might explain the try it and see approach but it sure would be nice to see some actual research that shows there is definitly a problem were available before expending big bucks. So far all that seems to be available is anticdotal info that doesn't eliminate several possibilities other than the potential resin problem.

Back to Top Printable version View big_kuhana's Profile Search for other posts by big_kuhana

jward
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 06 2006 at 18:31 | IP Logged Quote jward

Boat US has published an article based on reall issues where Ethanol has been used prior to the mandate.  The EPA sent a notice to our marina as well.

If the engines are gas and worthwhile keeping then as a buyer figure out what the value of the boat is less the cost of tank replacement. There's no way I'd take a chance as the cost to replace potentially 2 engines far out weighs the preventive aspect of tank reeplacement.

Though I'd prefer the fiberglass tank with the right resin formulation aluminum is an absolutely acceptable alternative properly installed and designed ( and yes- SS is expensive) and depending on the boat may not be worth over investing in the bertram.

The information available is more than anticdotal. Try googling boat us ethanol gas...

I've gone as far speak with Bertram and Boat US author of the article and came to the conclusion that there was no alternative except to roll the dice and I'm not a gambler.

As for recoating the fiberglass tank, tha tanks are fully enclosed and in fact had to be cut out of my boat.

My luck would suggest that they'll stop using Ethanol and I'll have replaced the tank for nothin.

Buy the boat right and the tank replacement will not be an issue.

Good luck.

big_kuhana
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 06 2006 at 20:55 | IP Logged Quote big_kuhana

Thanks for the reference to the Boat US article. It is located at:

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/fueltest.asp

It is the first time I have seen any actual data indicating tank problems and it is very persuasive.  There are some companies making replacement fiberglass takes for the smaller Bertrams but I haven't seen anything for the 35'. How much did your tank replace cost and how big was/were the tank/tanks?

jward
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 07 2006 at 07:02 | IP Logged Quote jward

Parts approximately ( I await final bills) 2600.00

Labor - 2600- 2800.00  (Marina hourly) Big part of the cost is cutting the tank out.

Previous Capacity: 165 gallons

Current capacity: 117 gallons

I have heard that sopmeone in FL will be making fiberglass replacements for less $$$. You may want to call Bertram to see what they may know.

Terri Parrow
Admin

Admin

Posted: August 07 2006 at 10:12 | IP Logged Quote Terri Parrow

Here's more information on the Ethanol Issues:

http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=142

Back to Top Printable version View Terri Parrow's Profile Search for other posts by Terri Parrow

rgoris
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 27 2006 at 19:54 | IP Logged Quote rgoris

spoke to bertram about my 1988 - 28 and their information was fiberglass tanks made before 1986 could have a problem - anybodyelse talked to bertram?
ro
Back to Top Printable version View rgoris's Profile Search for other posts by rgoris

jward
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 28 2006 at 10:16 | IP Logged Quote jward

Yes. I had called them before I replaced mine (I think I called everyone I could think of to ascertian whether I needed to spend the money).

They confirmed a potential issue with my 1971 tank. So the rest is history. Tank now replaced and a happy summer season with my Bertram continued (albeit with less money in the bank).

gene papp
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 12 2006 at 10:16 | IP Logged Quote gene papp

WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO GET THE NAME AND PHONE NUMBER OF THE PEOPLE WHO REPLACED YOUR FUEL TANK? THANK YOU. GENE

jward
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 12 2006 at 11:11 | IP Logged Quote jward

Call Bobby at Brown's Yacht Yard, 978-281-3200.

tgshier
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 28 2006 at 07:59 | IP Logged Quote tgshier

Quote: rgoris
spoke to bertram about my 1988 - 28 and their information was fiberglass tanks made before 1986 could have a problem - anybodyelse talked to bertram?
ro
Back to Top Printable version View tgshier's Profile Search for other posts by tgshier

tgshier
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 28 2006 at 08:03 | IP Logged Quote tgshier

Could you please provide the contact information for Bertram.  I have a 1991 28 with a fiberglass tank and would like to get a definitive answer on the ethanol/tank issue for my boat. Thanks.
Back to Top Printable version View tgshier's Profile Search for other posts by tgshier

gene papp
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 28 2006 at 10:39 | IP Logged Quote gene papp

I HAVE MADE CALLS TO BERTRAM AT TEL  NUMBER 305  633-8011 ADDRESS IS 3663 N.W.21ST STREET MIAMI FL 33142 AND HAVE NOT RECIEVED A RETURN  CALL.   GENE

tgshier
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 28 2006 at 12:08 | IP Logged Quote tgshier

Thanks, I'll give it a try.  Sounds like they may be avoiding us.  Probably afraid of liability. Nevertheless, I believe we all deserve some sort of answer from them.

billzim
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 07 2007 at 13:41 | IP Logged Quote billzim

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on a replacement fuel tank on a 28 Bertram. Specifically I'm looking at a 1986 Bahia Mar, if that makes a difference.

I'm in looking at one now and trying to come up with an offer that reflects the cost of a new fuel tank.

Thanks

jward
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 07 2007 at 17:01 | IP Logged Quote jward

If you google "fiberglass tanks for bertrams" you may find a company that's now building retro fitted tanks out of FL.

However I replaced mine last year to get the season on with a custom built aluminum. Approx total cost with labor 5000-6000.

tomandjo
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 20 2008 at 13:11 | IP Logged Quote tomandjo

Does anyone know where I can get schematics for a replacement aluminum tank for the Bertram 28?

I live in SW Florida and a commercial plastic tank is available for $4000.00 +

I'm just curious about the cost of aluminum.

Thanks

Tom

Back to Top Printable version View tomandjo's Profile Search for other posts by tomandjo

Deep Blue
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 18 2008 at 16:07 | IP Logged Quote Deep Blue

This is probably is little late for most of the fibreglass tank owners but if you can find a gas dock in your area that services the military or coast guard your in luck. The US gov does not allow E10 in there boats as I've heard. The gas dock we use is in LA harbor directly accross from the coast guard base and we have fueled our 1972 Bertram there for five years and have had no problem with gas issues. I know fish and game also fuels there so maybe state boats do the same.

Bertram286
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: November 03 2008 at 22:59 | IP Logged Quote Bertram286

Replaced the tank in my 1985 Bertram 28 this spring.  Not a fun or inexpensive job.  I found a tank company in Rhode Island that makes a 245 gallon tank out of aluminum to replace the fiberglass 245 gallon that was in the boat.  What is nice about this tank is that it gives you full access to the stuffing boxes which was not the case with the original FG tank.  The big headache was getting the tank out, which was done in part by the yard I had the boat at, as well as many hours that I had to put into it also.  I had to have a fiberglass guy come in and build the bed for the new tank to sit on, as well as glass it into the boat.  If you haven't replaced your FG tank yet, and you are going to pay a yard to do it for you, make sure you find a yard that knows what they are getting into.  The yard I was at had no idea how difficult it is to get the tank out.  There is an epoxy at the bottom of the tank on a 245 gallon tank that is unbelievably strong.  This requires the tank to be cut up piece by piece until only the bottom of the tank is left.  Only then can you pry the floor of the tank out of the boat.  In the end, doing a lot of the work myself, it still cost me a little over $7,000. 

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version