View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Four Winns
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Four Winns
Subject Topic: 190 Horizon Mooring Cover Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
bytesize
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 13 2006 at 09:53 | IP Logged Quote bytesize

First let me say congrats to boat/Us for starting these forum facilities. We can never get enough info regarding our boats, especially from other owners.

We have just downsized and purchased a new Four Winns 190 Horizon. I am looking for a mooring cover that can be used for indside winter storage plus summer trailering. I prefer to have the rope pull type with trailer fasteners and would like it to go over the collasped bimini top. Four Winns offers one for $590 and a local canvas shop said they could make one for around $500. I am wondering if anyone has found a premade canvas that works.

cbavier
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 10 2007 at 07:38 | IP Logged Quote cbavier

I'm greatful for this forum and although it was slow at first. It is very fast now. The fix worked great! Thanks!

bytesize

Let me know if you find more than one. I would consider the one with the sewn in straps too. I too have a Horizon 190 and would like to store it outside  for the winter. The Bowcover and Cockopit covers that I have are made out of Sumbrella material and that is not satisfactory for winter storage. I too have the Bimini Top and would want to use the mooring cover to work with Bimini Top collapsed.

Wud Tik Chuck

Edited by cbavier on March 10 2007 at 07:44
Back to Top Printable version View cbavier's Profile Search for other posts by cbavier

bytesize
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 14 2007 at 18:35 | IP Logged Quote bytesize

The jury is still out on this! I did talk to the folks at Four Winns and confirmed that their cover is not designed to be used with the bimini in the down position. You have to remove it. I talked to canvas shop and they said they could make one for mucho dollars. So....I bought a generic cover at end of season prices from West marine. Since my 190 is about 21' total length, I got one big enough to cover the boat. I tried it with the bimini up and it just didn't fit right. So I removed the bimini and found that it will store in the boat while trailering and attached the cover. It has since been stored for the winter and I will see about trailering this year. I do not have to high of expectations.... as a lot of the material suggests that the generics do not trailer well. It was great for winter storage!

I did come with an elastic band for tightening. i am going to remove that and put in a nylon rope with some rear tie downs and hopefully get a more 'snug' fit. 

wkearney99
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 15 2007 at 16:58 | IP Logged Quote wkearney99

Whatever cover you use make sure it doesn't end up rubbing or flapping against anything. Even just sitting in the slip the FW supplied cockpit cover tends to rub through on the snaps along the top of the windshield. I can only imagine how much worse that'd be if it was flapping along on a trailer.

Might it not be better to tow it uncovered anyway? That'd avoid the whole issue of securing it or dealing with wear.

bytesize
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 19 2007 at 08:33 | IP Logged Quote bytesize

Good ebservation and couldn't agree with you more. This is the major concern I have. I believe FW recommends as you suggested - trailer the boat without any covers on it. The afterer market cover I purchased does come over the sides and will rub on the sides of the boat, even when tied down. I am not planning on towing that way except for severe weather conditions - it is more for a storage cover.

i think the only way to get a good fit is to get the FW mooring cover and have snaps put in all arouund the boat - something that I do not wnat to do right now.

wkearney99
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 19 2007 at 09:27 | IP Logged Quote wkearney99

Back when I used to ride a motorcycle to work I discovered just how destructive the wind can be at highway speeds. Shredded a pretty expensive necktie when it got out from under my jacket and flapped in the breeze. I was really surprised to see the amount of wear on the cockpit cover caused by the windshield frame snaps. Like you, not enough to do something about it "right now" but on my list for this season. I plan on fashioning a strip of fleece or something that'll snap onto the top of the frame and thus keep it them from rubbing on the cover. If/when you figure out how to get that cover snapped down you might want to do the same. Or at least make sure the underside of the cover isn't getting wrecked by an edge on something. And likewise make sure the underside of the cover isn't rubbing on gelcoat and ruining that!

I think this range of hassles is why they suggest just not using a cover while trailering. That and the risk of a cover coming loose and causing a traffic accident. Yet another reason I'm glad my boat's in a slip... heh.

Fireguy048
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 01 2007 at 20:56 | IP Logged Quote Fireguy048

Bytesize I just checked out the Overtons site and they want $655 for a Sunbrella exact fit cover so the Four Winns dealer price looks like a good deal

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version