View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Silverton
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Silverton
Subject Topic: Silvertons on the Chesapeake Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
arks
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 12 2006 at 21:29 | IP Logged Quote arks

Hello and welcome to this thread!

I'd like to start a discussion to find Silverton owners who spend time on the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries. This could be a great way to find out who's who in the area. Post your boat name, model, homeport and favorite cruising areas. Names are optional but could be helpful in the event we find ourselves tied up nearby or anchored in the same cove. 

1. "Winter Dream"- 1984 34C - Havre de Grace, Md. We cruise the upper Bay and frequent "The Flats" east of HdG and "Sand Island" along the HdG channel near Fishing Battery Light. We also cruise the Susquehanna, Northeast, Elk and Sassafras Rivers. Rob/Diane Burford

Dusty Rhoads
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 25 2006 at 05:59 | IP Logged Quote Dusty Rhoads

" Moon River "  43 MY located in Annapolis, and spend a fair amount of time mid bay with a few longer trips each yr.  450Cummins   Dusty/Barbara Rhoads

clover
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 01 2006 at 13:02 | IP Logged Quote clover

We have cruised the Chesapeake Bay off and on  for about 25 years. When we weren't in the Chesapeake we were cruising. We have been as far North as Martha's Vineyard and as far south as Key West and been on both coasts of Florida.

But for now, we're in dry storage hanging out at the Top Of The Bay in the C & D Canal, which is only 10 minutes from home. Maybe next year we'll get the boat out and cruise the Chesapeake again.

www.silvertonclub.com
Back to Top Printable version View clover's Profile Search for other posts by clover

Patriots Pride
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 26 2007 at 11:16 | IP Logged Quote Patriots Pride

Patriots Pride

310 Express - 1995 

Twin 5.7 merc's

Sassafrass River, Skipjack Cove

Back to Top Printable version View Patriots Pride's Profile Search for other posts by Patriots Pride

ranger-s42c
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 09 2008 at 08:00 | IP Logged Quote ranger-s42c

42 Convertible with 450 Cummins diesels, berthed in Selby Bay, South River.

We've cruised the Chesapeake since around '94, starting back then on our first Silverton: a Mainship III.

Regards, -Chris

Back to Top Printable version View ranger-s42c's Profile Search for other posts by ranger-s42c

arks
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 12 2008 at 16:27 | IP Logged Quote arks

Hello Chris!

Hope to see you out on the Bay sometime.

Rob

BluesBarge
"Seaman"

Posted: May 24 2011 at 23:19 | IP Logged Quote BluesBarge

Fun Size - 2001 392

Skipjack Cove - Sassafrass

Like Still Pond Creek

Barry and Randi

Edited by BluesBarge on May 24 2011 at 23:22

M/V Fun Size
                 HADDONFIELD, NJ
Back to Top Printable version View BluesBarge's Profile Search for other posts by BluesBarge

DreamcatcherII
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 20 2011 at 20:24 | IP Logged Quote DreamcatcherII

Just purchased a 2002, 330 Silverton Sportbridge, and keep it at Crescent YC, Norman Creek off Middle River. Stayed in Chesapeake City 2 weeks ago. Looking forward to a lot of Mid-Bay exploration. 

Being new on the Bay, I have  a power question for the more experienced Bay travelers about 50A power plugs. In looking at the Marinco catelog, there are two 50A to twin 30A y-converters. One configuration gives you 50A to twin 125V/250V 30A and the other configuration gives you 50A to twin 125V 30A. I presently have two 50 foot 30A 125V cables and have been told to get a triple 30A cheater y for when rafting 3 deep at the YC openings and events. So my question is which 50A to twin 30A y-adapter should I buy if I am only buying 1 ...for now... or does every transient marina slip always have twin 30As available when you stop for the night or a weekend??

Back to Top Printable version View DreamcatcherII's Profile Search for other posts by DreamcatcherII

ranger-s42c
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 21 2011 at 06:55 | IP Logged Quote ranger-s42c

Quote: DreamcatcherII

Being new on the Bay, I have  a power question for the more experienced Bay travelers about 50A power plugs. In looking at the Marinco catelog, there are two 50A to twin 30A y-converters. One configuration gives you 50A to twin 125V/250V 30A and the other configuration gives you 50A to twin 125V 30A. I presently have two 50 foot 30A 125V cables and have been told to get a triple 30A cheater y for when rafting 3 deep at the YC openings and events. So my question is which 50A to twin 30A y-adapter should I buy if I am only buying 1 ...for now... or does every transient marina slip always have twin 30As available when you stop for the night or a weekend??

Our 50-amp service is 250v.  If your boat is 50-amp, I'd bet it's also configured for 250v... although I'd have thought your 330 would normally be configured for twin 30s.  Perhaps I've mis-read your post?

You could check that in your boat documentation... or call Silverton to confirm.  Also, lots of experience and info available in the on-line Silverton Owner's Club Forum, here: http://www.silvertonboat.com/vbulletin/forum.php.  One of the 330 owners is bound to know.

Marinco makes a "Smart Y" that combines two 30-amp supplies into one 50-amp supply, as long as the two 30-amp supplies are out of phase with each other and as long as the total service will reach 208v (assuming you need 250v supply).  Other companies (Charles, etc.) make similar products.  Most, but not all, marinas will have two 30s available, and most of those will be suitable for a "Smart Y" connecter.  If your boat uses 50-amp service, you'll want something like this eventually.

The various companies also make splitters that will change 50-amp shore service into twin 30-amp supplies... but (if your 330 uses twin 30s) it's rare that a marina would only have 50-amp available.  And in cases where the shore power service at specific slips is configured for 50-amp, usually those are big slips and marinas will hold those for larger boats to the extent they can do that.  If your boat is configured for 30-amp shore power, I wouldn't bother with one of these.

-Chris

M/V Ranger, Londontowne, MD

Back to Top Printable version View ranger-s42c's Profile Search for other posts by ranger-s42c

ranger-s42c
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 21 2011 at 08:07 | IP Logged Quote ranger-s42c

Quote: DreamcatcherII

I presently have two 50 foot 30A 125V cables and have been told to get a triple 30A cheater y for when rafting 3 deep at the YC openings and events. So my question is which 50A to twin 30A y-adapter should I buy if I am only buying 1 ...for now... or does every transient marina slip always have twin 30As available when you stop for the night or a weekend??

Some additional commentary:  Generally when we think of rafting up, that's out on the water somewhere with one boat at anchor and additional boats tied alongside.  We do that often, with AC power provided (occasionally) by the on-board generator.  No cables required.

If you mean rafting against a boat tied to the dock at your YC, I guess that'd be something to experience first before deciding whether you need extra cables or converters/splitters, etc.  We've only rafted this way for a very termporary tie-up to deal with uncommon circumstances.

That said, and if your 330 uses twin 30-amp shore power, perhaps what they're saying is they service several boats from 50-amp power points, and each 50-amp supply is split into twin 30s for each boat.  In that case, you'd likely be looking for a 50-amp 125/250v splitter to twin 30-amp connecters.  I think I'd be inclined to look at the proposed set-up in person first, before buying anything.

And in fact, I'd be even more inclined to just not raft up like that for any length of time   

-Chris

wdbox
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 21 2011 at 09:15 | IP Logged Quote wdbox

I am almost 100 percent positive that your 330 has two 125V, 30A inlets. If this is true. In order to plug into a 50A dock outlet, you will need a 240V, 50A to two 125V, 30A adapter. Once you have the adapter you have two choices. You can buy a 240V, 50A power cord and install the adapter at the boat end or install the adapter at the dock and run your two 125V, 30A cables to the boat. The 50A cord is expensive. It's only advantage is that you only have to run a single cable to the boat. However, this one cable is one large, heavy pain in the butt. I suggest that you install the adapter at the dock and run the two smaller cables to the boat.

Most marinas will put you in a slip with 50A service if you ask. We travel a lot and I don't remember a time when we were refused 50A service.

Back to Top Printable version View wdbox's Profile Search for other posts by wdbox

BluesBarge
"Seaman"

Posted: March 31 2013 at 20:15 | IP Logged Quote BluesBarge

Wow, no input from silverton owners since 2011...

???

M/V Fun Size
                 HADDONFIELD, NJ
Back to Top Printable version View BluesBarge's Profile Search for other posts by BluesBarge

RedBW
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 21 2013 at 15:45 | IP Logged Quote RedBW

Quote: BluesBarge

Wow, no input from silverton owners since 2011...

???

The people in the club are alive and well and very active. You missed a great party on the Chesapeake  last year and there will be another one this year.

The non-members are the silverton folks  who are inactive because they are unorganized. Find the organized group  on the web via the Google search engine. Look up Silverton club or silverton owners.  Or check us out at the silverton address on my signature.

By the way, we have 50% discount memberships to BoatUS!

Nyla Deputy
Silverton Owners Club
www.silvertonclub.com

Edited by RedBW on April 21 2013 at 16:08

rsn66125
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 22 2013 at 16:47 | IP Logged Quote rsn66125

Moving the boat (34 ACMY) to the Sassafras River at Georgetown Yacht Basin for the Month of May.  After that, we'll see what other ports to explore as the summer wears on . . .

Rich

Back to Top Printable version View rsn66125's Profile Search for other posts by rsn66125

RedBW
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 22 2013 at 17:20 | IP Logged Quote RedBW

Edited by RedBW on April 22 2013 at 17:32

RedBW
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 22 2013 at 17:30 | IP Logged Quote RedBW

I used to keep my boat in Georgetown Yacht Basin before I moved it to Florida. The young people they hired to work on the docks were outstanding. When I took the boat out, most of the time, I would be by myself. When I came back, all I had to do was call them on the radio or on my cellphone and they would be at my slip to take the lines.

We have a lot of Silverton Owners Club  members on the Sassafras at Skipjack, Sassafras Harbor, Duffy Creek as well as Georgetown Yacht Basin. A lot of the people at those marinas never venture more than a mile or two from the marinas and travel between the marinas on their dingy.

Through the club, is a great way to meet these other Silverton owners in the Sassafras marinas.

The annual club party will most likely be down around bay bridge.

BluesBarge
"Seaman"

Posted: April 22 2013 at 18:01 | IP Logged Quote BluesBarge

We make several trips a year, Annapolis, St. Michaels, and are going to Cape May this summer.  We do a lot of weekends at Still Pond.

M/V Fun Size
                 HADDONFIELD, NJ

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version