View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Sea Ray
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Sea Ray
Subject Topic: Oil Change- First Attempt Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Trogdor
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 12 2006 at 17:27 | IP Logged Quote Trogdor

I have had my 220 BR serviced through the dealer since it was bought new with an extended warranty.  This is my third season with the boat, and have a "clacking" noise that sounds like the dealer's oil changes have left something behind that are gunking up the system.  The boat has 189 hours and has had the oil changed at 50 and 100 hours, and every winterization.  After reading Don Casey's articles about spring oil changes, I will be doing that from now on too after running it for a few hours.

I have a pressure oil pump to use, and understand the trick about the baggie over the oil filter, but how hot should the engine be when I attempt to put the collector hose in the dipstick tube?  Also, should the hose be fed into the bottom of the dipstick tube, or stay toward the top?  Is there a "rule of thumb" for how long to run the engine before an oil change or a temperature range (the gauge never seems to read anything under 130 degrees). 

Thanks for any advice that will help me from making first time mistakes!

chuck1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 13 2006 at 19:45 | IP Logged Quote chuck1

Sorry I can not help but I'm sure if you post it on the searay owners forum http://www.searayowners.com under the engine section you will get your answer.

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 25 2013 at 18:39

2006 240 SunDeck MS Judy
350 MAG MPI BR3
North GA Mountains
Back to Top Printable version View chuck1's Profile Search for other posts by chuck1

Trogdor
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 13 2006 at 22:33 | IP Logged Quote Trogdor

Thanks.

That's where I started after getting a reply from Don Casey through BoatUS.  That forum was the one with the suggestion about putting the drainage tube only to the end of the dipstick tube (something my husband already knew). 

The service people at the marina told me to have the engine at full heat to change the oil, and that sounds dangerous to me.  We'll give the oil change a whirl on Saturday and see whether we can get any sludge to come out after fully heating the engine and letting it cool slightly.

Georgia looks like fun!  We'll be living down in Lake Keowee, SC in a couple of years and can't wait to extend the season.  Too much snow up here!

chuck1
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 14 2006 at 19:20 | IP Logged Quote chuck1

We are in the North GA Mtns. I tell everybody we are 2 hours from any where. It works great if you are into trailering. You have some great lakes and rivers to boat on. We really like the TN river, going there again in a week or so for a couple day. I've heard great things about Lake Keowee, but have not made it there yet. Somebody was talking about how clean it was and good diving. So many lakes/so little time. If work would just stop getting in my way.

Hope everything goes good on the oil change. I agree full heat sounds high to me.

2006 240 SunDeck MS Judy
350 MAG MPI BR3
North GA Mountains
Back to Top Printable version View chuck1's Profile Search for other posts by chuck1

Trogdor
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 15 2006 at 21:23 | IP Logged Quote Trogdor

Oil change took a long time on a hot day, but the oil looks much cleaner, and the filter was on so tight, I wonder if it had EVER been changed.  The noise is still there, but hopefully will get better as time goes on, or when we have it in for it's next service/tune-up at 200 hours.

Definitely check out Lake Keowee if you've never been there- 2 hours from Atlanta max, and Caribbean blue clear.  We bought an acre in a development on the lake with a deeded slip for early retirement.  Work gets in the way far too much in North Jersey!

I'll have to get a photo of Trogdor ("The Burninator") eventually.  If you check out Homestarrunner.com and view "How to draw a dragon", you'll  understand this bizarre name we gave the boat.  Totally politically incorrect. 

Thanks for your moral support on the oil change.  Here's to sunny weather and long nights!

nauti_boy
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 19 2006 at 23:30 | IP Logged Quote nauti_boy

I always bring the engine(s) up to full operating temp to make it easier to remove the old oil. Another good trick is to cut the end of the tube you snake down the dipstick at a slight angle to keep it from locking on to the bottom of the pan. Best way is to install the remote drain which is an extension (Jabsco) to the drain plug where you can really get a good suction and remove almost all the old oil. 

Trogdor
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 21 2006 at 08:35 | IP Logged Quote Trogdor

Thanks for your advice.  Next time we'll run the engine even hotter and try the angled tube base.  The oil looks nice and clean now, even though the engine noise is still there.  It is going in for service next week and it will be interesting to see if they can figure out what is causing the clacking.  It runs fine other than the annoying noise! 

AllenJ
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 02 2006 at 21:07 | IP Logged Quote AllenJ

Be interested in the source of your "clacking". I have a 2003 SeaRay Sundeck 240, 5.0 L engine with about 150 hours, with regular oil changes as recommended by Sea Ray, that is also making the clacking sound.

themikehyde
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 03 2006 at 09:49 | IP Logged Quote themikehyde

I had a clacking coming from the rear of my motor (1986 Merc 230 I/O) for years, kinda got used to it.  After I sold the boat, I found out the source while working on a friends boat, it was the bushings on the exhaust flapper in the exhaust tube.  Replaced the bushings and flapper, quiet as a mouse.  I hope this helps someone

Mike Hyde

Colonial Beach VA

http://www.themikehyde.com
Back to Top Printable version View themikehyde's Profile Search for other posts by themikehyde

Trogdor
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 03 2006 at 11:40 | IP Logged Quote Trogdor

The clacking noise is gone!!!  It turned out to be the exhaust manifold gasket that needed to be replaced.  Took about three hours of labor, so not too horrible a repair, and done very quickly. 

The alternative that they suggested as a possible problem was the head gasket, which would have been a reall pain $$$$.

Hope this helps!

AllenJ
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 11 2006 at 20:15 | IP Logged Quote AllenJ

Had my marina look at the boat - port exhaust manifold was leaking. Two hours of labor and a gasket, not too expensive a repair. The caution here is that the leak could allow carbon monoxide to accumulate in the engine compartment and the helm area (an issue since we have the camper package) and the hot exhaust could damage the wiring. So it is not a noise to be ignored.

Trogdor
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 12 2006 at 20:46 | IP Logged Quote Trogdor

Glad you figured it out!  Mercury engines wanted to make a note on our warranty since the gasket failed so early.  You may want to have them make a notation in case something else goes awry if you will be under warranty for any legnth of time.

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version