View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Wellcraft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Wellcraft
Subject Topic: 2400 Martinique Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
benjohnson
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 11 2006 at 19:55 | IP Logged Quote benjohnson

Hi All,

Just heard about this group - am looking forward to sharing some stories/ideas.  I have a 2000 Wellcraft 2400 Martinique.  I bought it last year and so far it's been a great boat.  It has a single 350 Mercruiser with Alpha One drive.  Good performance and reasonably good on fuel.  I've put about 40 hours on it since I bought it and have not been disappointed.  Hoping to hear from other Martinique owners on their experiences, likes, dislikes, etc. 

Ben Johnson

Grand Blanc, MI

alan7117
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 08 2007 at 18:28 | IP Logged Quote alan7117

HI BEN.  I MAY SOON BE ASKING THE SAME QUESTION.  I AM GOING TO LOOK AT A 2000 WELLCRAFT MARTINIQUE WITH A 5.7EFI 285HP WITH 113 HOURS FOR $19,999.  I JUST SOLD MY 30' SEA RAY WITH AN 11' BEAM.  PREVIOUS TO THE SEA RAY I HAD A 25' TIARA WITH AN 8'BEAM AND WHEN I HAD MY FIRST SON 9 YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS 51 MY WIFE DID NOT FEEL SECURE WITH THE POUNDING THE TIARA TOOK.  SHE ACTUALLY FORCED ME TO BUY THE SEA RAY!!! NOW MY SON WANTS TO GO TUBING AND SKIING AND I NEED TO DOWNSIZE.  I HAVE A SLIP BUT I WANTED SOMETHING TRAILERABLE SO I WOULD NOT PAY THE OUTRAGEOUS WINTER STORAGE CHARGES.  I THOUGHT I WOULD BUY A 24-26' OUTBOARD BUT WAS SHOCKED TO SEE MOST BOATS WERE CC OR WA AND MY WIFE DID NOT WANT TO GIVE UP HER CREATURE COMFORTS.

NOW I AM LOOKING FOR A "CABIN" BOAT WITH I/O AND CAME ACROSS THIS WELLCRAFT.  WELLCRAFT HAD A GREAT REPUTATION MANY YEARS AGO BUT NOW THEIR BOATS ARE LIKE MANY OTHERS.  GLAD TO HEAR YOU HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS AND IF I BUY THIS I WILL STAY IN TOUCH WITH YOU TO SHARE WHAT I HOPE WILL BE A MINIMUM AMOUNT OF PROBLEMS.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BOAT

ALAN 

Back to Top Printable version View alan7117's Profile Search for other posts by alan7117

benjohnson
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 08 2007 at 19:43 | IP Logged Quote benjohnson

Hi Alan,

I'm now 2 years into owning mine now and still am happy with it.  I can't compare the ride to the Tiara or the Sea Ray - obviously the wider beam of the 'Ray would give a ride this one can't compare to.  I can tell you even with the 2bbl carb (250 HP) engine I have, the boat seems to have enough power.  I pull skiers and tubes/kneeboards with no problems.  Once in a while when fully loaded I'd like the extra thrust the 4bbl or FI would give me.  One time I had my family (4 of us) and another family (5 of them) on board and had to have the husband come up front so I could get it to plane - that's the only time I can think of where I actually needed the extra guts.  The one you're looking at should overcome that limitation.  I now have about 350 hours on mine and (knock on wood) no mechanical issues.  Quirks that I'd like changed - will be working on:

Microwave - is shot - runs for a couple minutes then dies.  Display etc. goes out and comes back after about 15 minutes.  Problem is I can't get the damn thing out.  No one has been able to share the secret and I've tried unsuccessfully a couple of times.  I don't spend enough nights on it to worry too much - but when I do I'm going to have to readdress that issue.

Anchor - the boat has a single cleat in the center of the bow with two guides - one on either side.  Which sucks because there's no way to secure the anchor AND dock the boat.  I'm going to remove the guides and replace with cleats on either side of the bow which will be used to tie it up - reserving the center cleat for anchor work.  Will ultimately want a windlass up there but am not willing to buy/wire one right now.

That's really about all I have to report to-date.  It rides well (compared to the 20' Renken I traded up from) - rides a little wetter than I'd have liked but overall good ride.  Gets excellent fuel economy if you don't push it.  I usually run 2800 - 3000 RPM which pushes me along between 25 and 30 MPH - running a Stainless Vengeance prop 19 pitch.  Top end seems to be around 50 which is way faster than I need to go.  I seem to be averaging a little less than 5 gph and can run around 12-15 hours (that's a total - including a half hour each way at idle to get into the Bay then cruising at my stated average RPM's) before refilling it. 

The price you're looking at spending is far less than I paid for mine - with less hours on it than mine had - so I'm a bit jealous.  If it's been maintained well that should be a great deal.  Keep in touch and good luck in your search.

Ben

themikehyde
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 09 2007 at 11:26 | IP Logged Quote themikehyde

I don't have a Martinique, mine is the cheaper Excel version, the 23 SE.  I believe it is basically the same, minus the rosewood dash.  I am sure someone will let me know if there are other differences.  Overall, I really like the boat. 

Likes: Alot of features in a compact trailerable boat.  Pretty economical, easy to clean, rides and handles really nice.  Great for weekend trips to Solomons Island.

Dislikes: I have a hard time getting on plane with several people, especially if any adult is in the stern seat (Which is actually hanging over the transom).  I think trim tabs might help.  Bow cleat to forward to allow adding a windlass without relocating it.  No ventilation in the head.

I bought this boat as a repo, so I did not get any literature.  If anyone has a wiring diagram, or information on adding a windlass, I would be very happy to pay the postage for a copy.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.themikehyde.com
Back to Top Printable version View themikehyde's Profile Search for other posts by themikehyde

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version