View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Trojan
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Trojan
Subject Topic: I’ll be first... Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
'bout time
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 10 2006 at 20:05 | IP Logged Quote 'bout time

...to post in here.  1976 36 ft Trojan Fly Bridge Tri Cabin here.

Boats this old probably have very few things in common with their sister vessels, however, a few areas are probably the same same.

Just a bit about my boat:.  Twin (original) M383 Chryslers for gas guzzling power (burn up a couple of dinosuars everytime I start her up).  The old things made the trip from the Potomac River (near DC) to Port Royal, SC, in January 2006 with no significant problems.  The boat burned @ 15 GPH on the trip.  Not a great burn rate but I was pleased for engines that old.

Her teak cockpit (a notorious problem area for these boats) has been replaced and fiberglassed over (no more rot or leakage...so far).  The original CruiseAir A/C works, but is loud and never seems to quite keep up in the SC heat and humidity.

I still have the original steering linkage and hardware in her (now you all know how poor I am) so she is a "pig" to handle at times, especially in a following sea.  Hydraulic steering is hopefully in her future.

I guess it is something about her looks, but people often mistake her for a trawler.  I actually would like a trawler, so I don't get offended.  I guess this type of Trojan is a "planing trawler".

I've rambled enough.  Someone else's turn.

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 11 2006 at 16:51 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

1974 36' Trojan TriCabin here...boat is in great condition for her age, but I have also done some pretty major projects, such as replacing the aft deck.

Trojan made a quality boat, and we love ours. I've seen all the newer Carvers, Silvertons, etc...But for how my family uses it, we're hard pressed to find a boat with roomier, more functional interior. Sure the newer boats are "prettier", but the Trojans just have something about them. I guess you could call it "Character". 

We plan to stick with "the old bathtub" for a few more years yet!

Back to Top Printable version View Coralkong's Profile Search for other posts by Coralkong

'bout time
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 11 2006 at 19:53 | IP Logged Quote 'bout time

Yes, they do have "character" and I don't believe the newer Carvers, Silvertons, etc will be around for 30 + years.  It appears that Trojans may have been the last of the "bullet proof" fiberglass boats built in the late sixties through the mid seventies.  I guess that is because Trojan was the last big wooden boat builder to finally go to fiberglass.  I would love to hear more about your Trojan and her systems.  Maybe we can compare notes.

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 12 2006 at 00:26 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

Uggghhh....

Yeah, I love her. Yeah, she's a pain in the ass!

Back to Top Printable version View Coralkong's Profile Search for other posts by Coralkong

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 12 2006 at 00:29 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

I DID just get new canvas on her, though...

Captain's Navy Sunbrella with all new Iesenglass, however you spell it....

Looks dynamite. Everyone comments on it. Wait until I turn my "pimp" lights on...LOL....

And you think I'm kidding..........LOL......

'bout time
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 14 2006 at 06:53 | IP Logged Quote 'bout time

Canvas and enclosures...another project down the road for mine.  She currently has only a bimini over the fly bridge portion.  As soon as weather cools down a bit, I'm going to tackle refinishing the teak toerails, which look like "doo doo".

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 18 2006 at 16:21 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

Sure, we can discuss systems anytime you want!

My major annoyances are that because of the age of the boat, every single electrical "connector" is on it's way out (unless I've already replaced it)...

What I mean by that, is that all the running lights, bilge pump switches, etc...all the actual 12v "electrical" connection points are just shot, requiring a new part altogether. Grrr.....but to be expected from a 30+ year old boat, I guess. Tough to get parts for her, too (as I'm sure you know!).

When we bought the boat early last year, it came with an icemaker, a major selling point for me. Well, it didn't make ice. It got plenty cold, but no ice. Hmmmm. I took it home and took the cover off to try to figure out why.

The entire electrical section of the icemaker part was totally corroded. I tried to take it apart, and ended up snapping the screwheads right off.

So off to the dump it went.

That kind of thing annoys me...

There's a thousand I just can't afford nor justify when I can hump some ice down from the marina store in a dock cart.

Plenty of better spots on the boat that could use another thousand.

BTW, I am retrofitted with carbed 454's from the late 80's. About 600 hours on each. Runs great, but not real economical. They could use some TLC, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

There's always next weekend, though!

Hey, as long as she floats, runs, keeps beer cold and the heads work, I figure I can work on the rest of the stuff at my leisure!

Would love to see some pics of your Trojan!

We really do love ours.

'bout time
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 19 2006 at 05:11 | IP Logged Quote 'bout time

Here is a picture taken during the delivery from Maryland to SC in January.  We were leaving Myrtle Beach, SC, and heading South.  Of course, this was before her name change to "Lynn Marie".

I haven't had too many electrical problems, yet (knock on wood).  I'm thankful because of the confusing array of wiring that is in the boat.  Most of the problems that I have had are, like you, due to her age and some strange "fixes" by previous owners.  The fresh water system is an example.  I have numerous small leaks that are from poor installation of a fairly new hose and hose connector system.  It does help to keep the bilge clean, though!

The head system is one of the high points of the boat.  She has an electric head w/ macerator and new, huge holding tank.  Though a "stinky" subject, I think sometimes people underestimate the importance of the head system.

Though I feel like the old Chryslers have a good bit of life left in them, they are a constant area of concern for me, especially since they are raw water cooled.  I guess it is rather amazing that 30 year old raw water engines are still pushing her around.  If and when one or both of these engines "give up the ghost", it will put me in a tough position concerning repowering.  I'll have to make a hard decision concerning how much to spend on a boat this old.

One of the mysteries about the "Lynn Marie" is her forward, starboard fuel tank.  She has four tanks (an 80 gallon and a 40 gallon on each side for a total of 240 gallons).  I am not pulling fuel from that one tank.  The valve on top of the tank is in the open position.  I must either have a bad sender, blocked fuel line, or another hidden valve somewhere.

In addition to the antique steering linkage, which makes for some work on the Captain's part, I believe the rudder toe-in is "out of whack".  She likes to wander off track when underway and you have to constantly make minor adjustments to keep her from driving herself up on the bank.  Fortunately, I have the original boat, engine, and transmission manuals and the correct toe-in setting is in the manual.  During her next haul-out, I will be checking that.

My windows are another problem area.  I have no bad leaks around them, but the stripping/channels for the sliding windows is way past replacement time.  I'm not sure of your Trojan's configuration, but mine has the lower steering station and, thus, big ol' windows at the front of the salon.  Anyway, those windshield windows are plexiglass (they had covers on them during the survey and somehow the surveyor and I missed checking them closely) and the plexiglass has cracked and scarred over the years, making it useless to attempt operating the boat from the lower helm.

Like yours; mine floats, keeps the beer cold, and makes for a great grilling platform.  Because of the beer and the grill, many projects keep getting put off.  Maybe the winter will make me more productive.

I would like to see pictures of your Trojan, if you have 'em.

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 20 2006 at 09:28 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

I'm having problems with my website, (as in, I didn't pay the bill), so I can't post any pix right now. (Soon, though). As I'm sure you know, my boat looks basically the same as yours with a full slanted windshield and large triangular side windows on the cockpit. (The cockpit looks like a slightly different design as well. I believe your steering wheel is more horizontal, whereas mine is vertical). Where you have the big flat front deck, mine has a seat (but the cushions are long gone....perhaps a winter project. Gee, I seem to have lots of winter projects!)

Anyway, yeah, I have FW problems, too. My own doing, though. Last winter, when I winterized it, I thought I drained all the water out into the bilge, and, well, I didn't. The FW system consists of flexible PVC hoses with plastic compression couplings that all go into a gang in the generator compartment. Well, because I didn't get all the water out, the plastic couplings leak like a sieve, and need to be replaced (I believe they call them PEX connectors). The water works, but the hot water heater takes a looooonnnnnggggg time to heat up enough water to use the shower, due to it leaking all over the inside of the generator compartment (basically it runs right down into the bilge from the gang box.) No biggie, but annoying. It does keep the bilge fresh, though.

Mine has the engines in the back of the boat, under the aft cabin beds. I have two, one on either side of the aft cabin, directly under the bunks. I know they changed it at some point to have the engines in the middle of the boat, but not sure what year they did this.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean by "toe-in", but I have a problem with wandering as well. My boat is rather aft heavy (due to the larger engines being retrofitted into the back of the boat), and I have to watch it when I'm underway, or the front of the boat will tend to "wander" as you state. My steering is very "loose" as well, meaning lots of turns of the wheel to get the desired results. I have no lower station, and no front windows. These were an "option", I believe, in my year. I have heard that those built BEFORE the first half of '74 came with the windows in the front, the second half they were an option. I am actually grateful mine doesn't have them.

I kind of figured the "wandering" you spoke of was due to the hull design, or the really small rudders (have you seen them? They're puny!) or a combination of all of the above.

My side windows leak as well, and I'm hoping that reculking will solve the problem (caulk is already on the boat, just haven't done it yet.) No real damage, but in severe rainstorms, it can leak down onto you if you are sitting on the couch. It also discolors my teak interior, of which I am really fond. I love the old "wooden" cabin look. When I oil it, it looks great!

I have several "previous owner fixes" that deserve a punch in the mouth. LOL....Nonsense, I tell you!

I replaced both heads last year (our first with the boat), 1 pump type in the front, and one electric macerator unit in the back, and the boat already had a brand new holding tank when I bought her. It was a nightmare, but a job that you just have to be prepared to do it as quickly, and as thoroughly as possible. I don't think there's a way to do it without getting messy.

Oh, I don't underestimate the heads, my friend. If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. If Momma's happy, then we're all happy!

I'm not sure what to tell you on the gas tank thing. Weird. I only have 2 tanks, but with gas at almost $4 per gallon, that's plenty for me.

My engines are half/half systems. The block is cooled by a heat exchanger, but all the extraneous pumps (oil, trans, etc...) are cooled via raw water. I need a new oil cooler on one engine for sure, and possibly a new heat exchanger. Uggh. I try to do all the work I can myself to save some bucks, but I am no mechanic.

Fortunately (knock on wood), I have had no real engine problems, other than one engine (port) likes to heat up more than the other one, but they both run well.

My dashboard needs some severe attention. I would guess 2/3 of my guages don't work. I have a digital tach / synchronizer that works on top of the pilot station that works, but is so old, I can't tell if it is correct or not. The OEM tachs have been disconnected somewhere down the line.

I want to make a new dashboard out of some kind of fancy laminated wood, and install all new guages, but I'm not going to get into that right now. You guessed it, winter project!

Nice to hear from another Trojan owner who loves their boat!  She's a good looking vessel.

P.S. My dock neighbor just bought his first boat last year. A 1983 Trojan 36' F-36. Just like the F-32, but bigger. Here's an interesting tidbit for you. As I'm sure you know, Trojan was famous for "overstating" their boats, ie, drawing little people in their ads and such to make thier boats look bigger.

Well, the model of his boat is a "460", decaled in large maroon #s on the side. Yet it is a 36' boat. Everytime he goes into a marina to dock, they want to charge him for a 46' boat! LOL.....

I guess Trojan figured, well, what's better than a "360"? Well, a "460" of course! LOL....true story! Tell you what, though. I was out with him last weekend (my first time on his boat), and that sucker is a runner! Now THAT was a great hull design. It may or may not be solid fiberglass like ours, but that SOB could get up and go!

Edited by Coralkong on July 20 2006 at 09:38

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 20 2006 at 12:31 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

Here we go. Here is a pic from last year, so the canvas has changed color, and the bottom paint is now black, but you'll get the general idea....

http:\\www.qcinnovations.com\split_decision.JPG

You can cut and paste these into your browser, and it will show up.

http:\\www.qcinnovations.com\split_back.JPG

Edited by Coralkong on July 20 2006 at 12:33

'bout time
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 24 2006 at 10:40 | IP Logged Quote 'bout time

Nice looking boat.  Your "Split Decision" is probably layed out exactly like my "Lynn Marie" other than mine is what they called the Fly Bridge model.  The fly bridge ones gave up the front cushion area in favor of more aft deck space behind the helm, something that attracted me to this particular boat.  To my knowledge, the fly bridge models are the only ones that had the lower helm and the extra two fuel tanks.

My engines (Chysler M383s) are also under the aft bunks.  I am particularly frustrated by the port engine right now.  A week ago, I cranked it...it started normally but then shut down on its own after 1 or 2 minutes.  It would not restart.  This past Thursday, it started normally again.  I shut it down after about 45 seconds and it has not cranked since.  It is turning over but not firing up.  Even starter fluid will not make her fire up.  While cranking her at full thottle, she does sound like she is trying to fire up since I'm getting some backfire.  I have spent the last four days rebuilding the carb, changing fuel filters, changing spark plugs, and generally cussing her out.  There is plenty of gas getting to her and I even took the starboard coil off and hooked it up to the port engine...with negative results.  I'm at a loss.  Remaining things to check:  distributer (cap, timing, etc) and cranking sensor (I don't even know if these engines have a cranking sensor...I can't see one if it does).  I've even thought about bad rings and oil getting to the spark plugs, but she has never smoked and does not use any oil.  Despite the cost, it may be time to call in a real mechanic.

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 27 2006 at 07:57 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

Uh-oh.

Hopefully it is something stupid like bad gas or something.

Could this be related at all to the fuel tank issue?

Unfortunately, I am not a mechanic.

Oddly enough, I had problems last weekend as well. Before I left the boat I went to fire it up.

Nothing. On either engine. Port didn't turn at all, and Starboard just "clicked". I imagine it is electrical, but didn't have the time nor energy to investigate. THIS weekend's project. (I just replaced the windshield wiper motor and the mast/combination light and found they were wired in reverse polarity. Why? I have no idea, but the were. I highly doubt they have anything to do with the engines, but who knows anymore....)

Truth be told, I could do without the front "deck" and lose the bow seating, but it is what it is at this point.

Good luck, and keep me updated on your engine crisis.

It's a labor of love with these old boats, isn't it?

'bout time
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 27 2006 at 17:39 | IP Logged Quote 'bout time

The port engine has the problem and the weird gas tank is on the starboard side.  I do not have the crossover valve open, so the two problems should not be related.  Despite having a spark at the spark plugs, starting fluid (ether) wouldn't even make her fire up.  It almost has to be timing (jumped timing, distributer, and/or ignition module...I don't think she has a cranking sensor).

As for your problem:  Some things to check (and mind you, this is coming from a non-mechanic):  1) Trannies in neutral?  Sometimes I have to wiggle mine.  2)  Did you turn off your battery selector when doing your electrical work?  If so, and even if you turned it back on, maybe the switch didn't "click" good.  3)  I don't know what type of charger you have on your batteries and what condition your batteries are in, but of course that could be the problem.  4)  My Trojan has 2 ignition reset switches (one for each engine) on the upper helm and one on each engine.  I don't know if you have the same, but if you do and they trip, then the engine will do nothing.  If you have them, just push the button(s) and see if your engines will then turn over.  5)  This may be far-fetched, but could you have killed a fuse at your helm when doing your electrical work that is causing your ignition switches to be "dead"?

You may have go with my "Plan B"...dressing as an ancient Roman, getting some big oars, and capturing some enemies to use as galley slaves.  Just make sure to get an odd number of slaves.  You must have one to beat the drum so the others can stay in time.

Sounds like it was a bad weekend for Trojans.  Good luck with your problem and keep me updated on your fix so I can add to my knowledge.

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 31 2006 at 11:11 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

Well, mine turned out to be easy enough.

Loose ground wire on one of the batteries. Not sure why NEITHER engine would fire, but that definately was the case!

Good weekend though. Went to a 16 boat raft-up and had a ball on Saturday!

'bout time
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 31 2006 at 19:14 | IP Logged Quote 'bout time

Good for you.  I'm glad yours was easy.  I didn't get on mine this weekend so I didn't have a chance to do more trouble shooting.  I should get back on her this coming weekend.

As for your one loose ground wire:  Are you set up where you use both batteries to crank each engine?  I was thinking that if you are, as I am (I normally keep the selector switch on "both"), and if one battery was dead and the good battery had the loose ground...well, you see where I am going.  I would double check both batteries to make sure they're both good.  Just a thought.

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 01 2006 at 14:20 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

LOL,,,well, I guess they are. Beats me, though I have never seen it done like that before. (Though I DID always wonder how that "Emergency Start" button worked!) Truthfully, I haven't even tried to look at how they are hooked up. I know both batteries are good, though, because I just replaced one, and load tested the other to make sure (That was a few weeks ago.) I have never moved the battery switch other than to make sure it DID indeed move. That's some rather poor understanding on my part, isn't it?  Well, at least I'm honest.

I'm glad mine was a simple fix. Hopefully yours will be something stupid, too.

My Trojan is coming along....started to Cetol the outside bow rail and the edge of the rub-rail (where it is teak) this weekend, but it was so hot, I couldn't finish the job. (It was 100+ both days this weekend.)

Good thing the Air Conditioner still works (*knocks on wood*).

'bout time
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 03 2006 at 18:15 | IP Logged Quote 'bout time

I'm saving the work on my teak toe rail, rub rail, and hand rails until the weather cools.  I'm in SC, so don't talk to me about heat!  I think we invented heat and high humidity.

I'll be back on mine this weekend and, hopefully, I can narrow down the port engine starting problem and fix her up.  Of course, with the price of gas, maybe I'm better off just sitting at the dock.  I figured it up and an hour's worth of cruising is now at about $50.00.  That cuts into the beverage budget.  I'm thinking more and more that those Minn Kota trolling motors and some big batteries are the way to go!  I wonder if I can rig some big sheets as sails on her.

Seriously, I hope I can have her up and running on Saturday since I have company coming down to visit her on Sunday.  Being that the company are pretty lady folks, it would be nice to be able to impress them with my "exceptional" boat handling skills (which won't be too exceptional if I have to dock using one engine).

Bruce Fisher
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 05 2006 at 16:22 | IP Logged Quote Bruce Fisher

Your port engine starting problem sounds very similar to a problem I had recently. It turned out to be the fuel pump. I am not exactly sure what was wrong with the old pump but since a new one fixed the problem I just celebrated by going for a cruise. Good Luck.

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 09 2006 at 17:18 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

'bout Time,

How's the work going? Just checking in on you....

'bout time
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 09 2006 at 20:56 | IP Logged Quote 'bout time

Work on the port engine is not going at all!  I have pulled the control unit (ignition module) off of her and am going to replace if not too expensive.  The control unit does look to be in sad shaped.  I don't know, however, if that is the problem.  This one is really perplexing me and my more mechanically inclined buddies.  Bruce Fisher mentioned the fuel pump in the previous post, however, she is getting plenty of fuel.  If it is not the control unit, then I'm back to the distributer and the timing.  I'm starting to have worse case scenario thoughts that include a dead engine, however, she never gave any signs (smoking, etc) of passing away.

To add to my streak of bad luck (I must have pissed off the Boating Gods), the starboard water pump has given up the ghost.  Easy fix, however, since the pumps on these old Chryslers are external.  I'm on-line now to order a replacement.

'bout time
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 01 2006 at 17:35 | IP Logged Quote 'bout time

Coralkong,

I've been off-line awhile (computer decided to take a vacation).  Thanks for posting the pictures in your other thread.

The port engine of the Lynn Marie remains in critical condition.  Other priorities and the work schedule have prevented me from doing alot with it for about a month.  The new starboard raw water pump is installed and functioning, however.  We scrambled down here to secure our boats in preparation for TS Ernesto, who thankfully (for us) chose to make his landing further up the Carolina coast.  Winds never got above about 25 mph at the marina.  It was tricky relocating the Lynn Marie to a more protected slip on one engine.  Tomorrow morning, I get the pleasure of backing her back into her home slip on that one engine.  That surely will provide some entertainment for the dock vultures who delight in watching docking mistakes (come to think of it, I'm usually one of those vultures).  The good news is that the A/C and head still work and the beer is still cold.

By coincidence, I just got word that a newly puchased Trojan Tri-cabin is enroute to my marina and will be berthed next to mine.  I think she is also a fly bridge model (that is unusual, if she is) and is a mid 1970's model.  I hope she doesn't look too much better than my Lynn Marie!

I hope all is well with your Split Decision.

Mark I
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 02 2006 at 09:30 | IP Logged Quote Mark I

Glad you enjoy your Trojan as you do.  My wife and I have had an F36 for 5 years and it is now for sale.  She is in excellent condition and has served us very well.  I too upgraded most systems and wiring.  A plus is that Trojan used alot of off the shelf parts so replacements have not been too hard to find.

'bout time
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 05 2006 at 20:31 | IP Logged Quote 'bout time

Mark I,

What year is your Trojan and do you have her listed on the net?

Mark I
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 11 2006 at 13:14 | IP Logged Quote Mark I

It is a 1984 F36 and is listed on BoatUs and Boats4Sale as well as BoaterEd.  I have also just listed it with my friend's yard to be brokered.

The boat has been well cared for and completely updated.  It really is turn key and needs nothing.

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 20 2006 at 03:58 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

'bout time,

What's the scoop?

I had a nice adventure that almost cost me my life while out recently.

I filled up on gas and went out to a raft-up. I smelled gas pretty strongly in the cabin when I went to return from the trip (thankfully, it was a pretty short trip).

When I got back to the dock, I knew I had a problem.

The whole boat STUNK like gas!

It was so bad that my wife and daughter went home. I stayed on the boat overnight (after draining bilge, opening windows), and actually got up and threw-up in the middle of the night due to the fumes. Not the smartest decision I have ever made.

Anyway, turns out one of my fuel pumps is bad, and was weeping gas. Not sure why it stunk so bad, but it did!

So, I have one engine that needs a fuel pump, and another that needs a new oil cooler.

It's always something with these old things, isn't it?

I PROBABLY could replace both parts myself, but am thinking what would take a mechanic a couple of hours to replace would probably take me a whole weekend.

So, I'll probably bite the bullet on this one and pay a mechanic. How long could it possibly take? (Famous last words...)

I hope you have found your problem. My problems just seem to accumulate so quickly.

Fix one thing, something else breaks. Fix that, and it's something else.

Edited by Coralkong on September 20 2006 at 04:00

Rick1954
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 20 2006 at 09:30 | IP Logged Quote Rick1954

I just purchased my 1976 Trojan express 26, she is small but what a gem. I moved up from a 19ft 190 Four winds bow rider, too a nice boat however, the head the beer and the aft deck won out.

This Trojan has almost all the problems every one has talked about, but fortunately I can fix all of the problems my self. She was sitting in dry dock for three years, the 80 gal fuel tank was full with old bad gas. I had to remove her from the club she was at up river 7 miles to the marina I call home. That old 351ci ran great and she handled better than the Four Winds. I look forward to restoring and enjoying her for a long time.

Electrical problems, nothing worked, after getting power to come thru the fuses, I had to activate the switches thousand of times to get them to work. All lighting , water, head, etc nothing worked. But there is something about her that getís into your sole. I am sad the season is almost over.

Back to Top Printable version View Rick1954's Profile Search for other posts by Rick1954

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 20 2006 at 19:51 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

Well, Rick,

There's always next year to get those projects finished!

There is something about these old Trojans. They get in your blood or something.

They just don't make 'em like they used to!

RWS
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 20 2006 at 21:38 | IP Logged Quote RWS

Before replacing the fuel pump you should check the fuel inlet & outlet hoses for leaks/seepage and the fittings to see if they are loose. If the fuel pump is bad, YOU SHOULD REPLACE THEM BOTH.

Also, GASOLINE VAPOR IS EXPLOSIVE and can be set off by ANY SPARK< EVEN A LIGHT BULB SWITCH ARCING. 

Don't risk YOUR LIFE AND THAT OF YOUR FAMILY  by TAKING UNNECESSARY CHANCES WITH EXPLOSIVE VAPORS THAT HAVE A DEMONSTRATED HISTORY OF  KILLING MANY PEOPLE .

Rick1954
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 21 2006 at 08:14 | IP Logged Quote Rick1954

In your blood, I cant stop thinking about all the things I am going to do to her. I look at what the finished product will be so all the tasks arenít so daunting . Yesterday I needed to replace the sending unit for the fuel tank, usually this wouldnít be a large undertaking. However, the previous owner replaced the deck and moved the access plate over 4". I managed to get around that problem next came the problem with the universal unit hole pattern isnít the same as the original sending unit, secondly the ohm arenít the same to run the gauge properly. Huuuuum. A lot of choice words "I am sure you can imagine" and a cold beer, some were left from our last outing, I snapped the float off the new sending unit and used it on the old unit. I now have a working unit with a $46 float on it.

This winter I will be replacing all the water lines, re-doing all the fabric, and removing the varnish from the beautiful teak up top and restoring the deck. I am looking into Flexiteek for the aft deck I will let ya know how that works maybe.

The bulkhead directly behind the head, wall covering has lifted revealing some de-lamination for the wood due to storing the nose down starboard allowing water to run in that direction. This should not be a huge undertaking LOL I am going to fiberglass over the entire wall making it stronger than just the wood.

Hey I can go on and on about her, you can tell she has got a hold of me. I am taking many pic of before and afterís

Back to Top Printable version View Rick1954's Profile Search for other posts by Rick1954

Coralkong
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 21 2006 at 09:32 | IP Logged Quote Coralkong

OH, I'm sure the fuel pump is bad.

The overflow line (clear plastic tube) has been emptied, yet after running for 5 mins has gas in it. The carb was "wet". My actual fuel lines are copper tubing.

Yes, gas vapor and sparks don't mix. Again, not one of my smarter moves. I've never replaced a fuel pump before, but at least I can get at it, as it faces the cabin, whereas the other engine (which has no gas in the overflow tube) it is between the hull and the block.)

The hardest part of that particular job is going to be ordering the correct fuel pump. It says Carter 87 on it, and there engine is a "US Marine Power". ?????

I don't know if I feel like fooling with it, or just getting the mechanic to do it.

Hey guys, after 3 pages, what do you say we start a new thread here?

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version