View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chaparral
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chaparral
Subject Topic: Sunesta Deckboats Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
MDDDSP
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 10 2006 at 19:32 | IP Logged Quote MDDDSP

I have a 2002 Chaparral Sunesta Deckboat. It has been a great boat so far.The only real problem I had was a slow leak into the bilge compartment which caused some water damage problems to a part of the engine and of course burned out several batteries with the automatic bilge pump coming on so often.My mechanic found that the eye cleats on each side of the back were not put on tight.Despite fixing this,the bilge continued to take on water.I finally pulled the boat out,poured food coloring into the bilge,took a hose and filled the bilge up and waited to see where the water leaked out.It was coming from the apparatus into which the transom plug is screwed.This was put on using screws of vastly different sizes and lengths.Unbelievable poor workmanship.My leak problem is now solved.Just ordered  new bow and cockpit snap in covers to the tune of around $1200.Ouch. I understand I have to fasten the snaps on the covers once they arrive.That will be lots of fun I am sure.I ordered them through the dealer who is getting them from Chaparral.I could not find a place to order snap in covers,only full boat covers.Anyone else with a Sunesta deckboat that cares to share pros and cons of the boat? 

treasure hunter
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: September 03 2006 at 08:32 | IP Logged Quote treasure hunter

I too have a 2002 Sunesta the 233 and I love it. Sorry to see your problems with the water and hope you have fixed that problem. I had recently replaced my drain plug apparatice(?) due to needing to change the oil and the plug was siezed solid. I had to replace my jvc radio and the fresh water pump and the temp gage and the thermostat I now have a leak in my lower gear case. I am complaining, I had just purchased it last fall and had 160 hours on it. most of this is normal wear and tear for a second hand boat of this type.   

Back to Top Printable version View treasure hunter's Profile Search for other posts by treasure hunter

texasunsesta
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 04 2007 at 16:55 | IP Logged Quote texasunsesta

We bought a 2002 Sunesta Deckboat last summer and love it. Plenty of room for our family of six and friends. We had a blast on it and can't wait until spring. My youngest son asks me every day if we can go boating. We got the 263 model. We haven't had any problems with it per se, with the exception of the JVC radio -- the sound through the speakers is horrible and the remote at the helm doesn't really work. I'll be replacing it this winter. We also feel like the tow hook is too low as the ropes are constantly dragging in the water when we pull tubers. Either of you experience this?

Glad to find a couple of Sunesta owners...

MDDDSP
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 16 2007 at 13:14 | IP Logged Quote MDDDSP

I got our boat mechanic to put the snaps on the rear cockpit cover.The cover did not fit exactly as the original so he had to improvise some.He did not do the front cover as the front was not torn yet.All in all,it was a pain for him to do it. Our JVC radio quit last yeaqr and we have not replaced it. The plug ins do not match up with any new ones.Do we have to get the whole thing rewired in order to replace this thing? Sounds expensive. I really would like a tower like they have on the new sportdeck line but Chaparral says you have to get these aftermarket and not from them.

samj
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 22 2007 at 15:51 | IP Logged Quote samj

2003 Sunesta 223, Great Boat, we love it. I actually bought the boat new in 2005, got what I think was a deal.  They needed to get it off the floor for the '05's coming in.  So when I got it, it was literally 2 model years old, but still new.  We had quite a punch list but the dealer work through it with us and all worked out great.  Some items that were worked on or replaced included the JVC radio, engine hatch fiberglass had to be reworked, engine control computer (engine would just cut off at time, espcially over 3500rpm's which I later found out was a Merc recall anyway) had to be replaced, and other small items such as door latches, etc.  Last 2 years have been absolutely great!  

Back to Top Printable version View samj's Profile Search for other posts by samj

bbshop
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 21 2008 at 12:41 | IP Logged Quote bbshop

My husband and I are interested in a 1997-2000 Chaparral Sunesta preferably a 25' model. We are downsizing from a 30' Crusiers, Inc. Cabin Cruiser. We have a cottage off of Lake Ontario and do not need a boat that we can sleep on (also the gas for the twin screw 350's was killer). We have decided on 1997-2000 mostly because of the price point... those seem to fall into the price range we want to spend.

However, being in upstate New York we are finding that these boats just aren't as popular up here (not exactly sure why) and finding a used one has proven to be difficult. We would prefer a fresh water only boat.

We settled on the Sunesta after looking at other deckboats and really liked the layout (we prefer the full windshield rather than the cockpit style) and also the well respected Chaparral name...

Is there anything in particular we need to be aware of when shopping for the 1997-2000 boats? Do you know someone who's selling one?

We just bought a boat hoist this past weekend so there is no turning back now, just need to find the perfect boat for us.... <big sigh>

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Edited by bbshop on June 23 2008 at 08:58
Back to Top Printable version View bbshop's Profile Search for other posts by bbshop

lovinlife2
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 13 2008 at 18:18 | IP Logged Quote lovinlife2

Hi

My husband and I are also looking to downsize. We have a 28' Doral cruiser. We looked at the 244 Sunesta and liked what we saw.

Any feed back from anyone that owns one ??

We are from Maryland, are there any Chaparral get togethers, rallies etc ?

Thanks

Back to Top Printable version View lovinlife2's Profile Search for other posts by lovinlife2

bbshop
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 17 2008 at 16:10 | IP Logged Quote bbshop

Update.... we found a boat!!! We had to drive down south to pick it up but it's in upstate New York now and we are thrilled.

We ended up purchasing a 2000 Sunesta 233 with a 2007 trailer 

Went to the DMV at lunch today and hope to be on the water by this weekend!

Back to Top Printable version View bbshop's Profile Search for other posts by bbshop

bbshop
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 17 2008 at 16:16 | IP Logged Quote bbshop

The new boat needs some door latches.... can someone on here point me in the right direction? I wasn't able to find a link to parts on the Chaparral website.

Specifically I need a new latch for the door in front of the cockpit and also the door to the head for a 2000 Sunesta 233.

Thanks!

5TooManyKids
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: July 31 2008 at 11:52 | IP Logged Quote 5TooManyKids

Quote: bbshop

The new boat needs some door latches.... can someone on here point me in the right direction? I wasn't able to find a link to parts on the Chaparral website.

Specifically I need a new latch for the door in front of the cockpit and also the door to the head for a 2000 Sunesta 233.

Thanks!

There are two places I have found that have a good supply of parts for my Chaparral. They sell many parts from the original manufacturers used on the Chaparral. I was able to find the little hydraulic hatch lifts, navigation lights, etc. The two sites I found most helpful are:

www.boatfix.com

www.overtons.com

Hopefully this helps.

5TooManyKids

Owner of '99 Chaparral Sunesta 252
Back to Top Printable version View 5TooManyKids's Profile Search for other posts by 5TooManyKids

]
] ]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version