View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 07 2008 at 11:00 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

allright baron and guys sorta have it figured out using picassa photo program,yeh came on computer so no $$ spent,I like that,mo money for the boat hehhehfirst photo anchor locker exposed,#2 the cc emblem from chris parts as you can see mine has a red stripe,I like the gold better and will act accordingly #3 the mighty helm!see the fuel monitorsbelow the wheel.also bennett trim tab indicators right behind the wheel they are really handy.#4 the pulpit that came with the boat,if it was a local add on ,I dont't know took the entire thing apart and rebuilt,and resealed it works great,I even painted the goode windlass to match the side stripe revarnished vthe ppulpit with bristol two part which really is nice and seems to hold up well and yes that is my PIRATES ROCK flag hanging there.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 07 2008 at 16:27 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 07 2008 at 16:31 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

ok here's my cat side bar baron,as you can see it's bad also and I agree the only way to fix is to repaint.also see my rub rail which was very bad corroded aluminum I took it off and wire wheeled it then primered,but the blue paint I used didn't take too well,as you can see so every time I enter the lift it bumps and scrapes. oh yeah another project!!I LOVE IT!!!!one more pix of my swim platform in the before mode.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 07 2008 at 16:32 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

swim platform sally

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 07 2008 at 16:51 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

rduhon,do those 251 guys understand that if they are over here instead of in message boards they can post all kinds of pictures? I see no pictures,other than signature pix and when I looked at the reply box I saw why, it does not have an image upload icon just the signature one.. this one has both signature and image upload. It sure would be great to have the other CATALINA BROTHERS where we could see their systems etc. Just A THOUGHT. I tried last year and they didn't want to hear about it.(look back thru the old posts)All the cats have a lot of common hardware etc that I'm sure they would love to hear about,I know you and a couple of the other guys do.take care boatman66

poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: April 07 2008 at 19:28 | IP Logged Quote poppop

It's been awhile since I have been over here. Nice to see more on here.

Ps. You can post photos over on the messageboard.

Back to Top Printable version View poppop's Profile Search for other posts by poppop

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 07 2008 at 21:34 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Nice photos Boatman!  I agree, I like the gold striping on Diveryates' CC best, but restriping will be a project for next year.  I need to get the interior finished so I can use her this spring/summer/fall and try not to start too many big projects.

When you get the chance, I's like to see a photo of your anchor locker from a little further back.  Is that a shelf/compartment over the front of the v-berth?  Here's a couple of shots of mine, which I think is the original design on the 1985 Cat.

The work continues...

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Michigan68
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 07 2008 at 21:49 | IP Logged Quote Michigan68

So it is now time to consult the Committee.  The boating mags and books are of little help.

My Cat is a 77 single 28.  If you look at Page 1, you'll find me 18 months ago complaining of fuel starvation.  The starvation is due to little tiny flakes about a millimeter across clogging the fuel filter.  This has been the problem all along, but two fuel pumps and a carbuerator rebuild later, all a ihad to do was check the filter!  On a new fuel/water sparator filter, can run for an hour to an hour and half and then the engine dies (a Marine Power 305K).  And can run at idle almost indefinitely, so the line is never completely shut with crud.

Boat had been sitting for many years with untreated fuel in the tank in a cold climate (north of Toronto) - I believe the tank is steel but can't be sure as it has a bronze coating on the outside.

I'm close to replacing the 70 gallon tank (18" round and 66" long) as some advisors have suggested (because the inside wall apparently is deteriorating - but this could also be old varnished fueling being loosened by new fuel with ethanol, no?)  I think, however, that the tank was put in the boat before the cockpit was put in place (the tank is beamwise right up against the transom) and I will start the removal with no way to get the tank out without cutting it up - tedious and dangerous.

Is there a metal fuel tank cleaning protocol that might be a better path?  Appreciate any suggestions.

BTW, this post has a lot of good stuff in 21 pages!

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: April 07 2008 at 22:49 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Hello cat owners:  Guys I like this forum more each time I get on. Boatman looks like you have the "pic thing" down pat, great pics this time they gave me some good ideas and some questions, I'll save the questions for now but please keep up the good works. Nauti cat you have the same chain locker as I do except the 294 dose not have the hatch you do. I do belive what we have was standard from the factory. I don't think it was designed for serious anchoring. I think we'll have to do like boatman and build our own design. By-the-way, I think you were pretty brave to rip out that headliner; sure hope you keep us posted I'm really interested to know how it turns out.  Michigan 68; before you cut up your fuel tank maybe you can take out an inspection hole large enough to give you room to clean it out.  many times gasoline tanks are aluminum, if yours is so there are products in the Aviation industry that might help. Good cleaners and sloshing products are available. The sloshing product will coat the inside of a tank making it like new again. Check with a good avaition repair facility in your area, they may have some other ideas for you. good luck.  No more space* RedBaron out.

poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: April 08 2008 at 06:35 | IP Logged Quote poppop

If you have been using e-10 it will clean out your tank. I have a 305 also and had to change out my filters twice in the first month I started using e-10.

Back to Top Printable version View poppop's Profile Search for other posts by poppop

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 08 2008 at 08:51 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Nauticat,no mine had a wider panel across,with two doors,ugly----- I added the white shelf as the other shelf was too small and was rotten,then reinstalled the old panel and since the shelf was bigger,added the white panel,which gives me a hidden shelf for beer cans etc...and only sacrificed about 6 inches of berth space.the white stuff is a starboard type material and will never rot.I'll try posting a series of pix showing the stages of the whole thing.Amazing how much all of our boats look so much alike.POP POP good to see you,how is your baby doing?68 I'm posting a pix of my fuel tank and if you don't have the small in line filters after the shut off valves,try them they stop a lot of debris from making it to the racors.I also have the racor types and they are the drainable types so far no real problems.Maybe you should look for a fuel tank cleaning company,they will come out and clean your tank right on the boat,by pumping it out and back flushing and refilling with your fuel if it is any good.It will be cheaper than replacing the tank.I have read that the ethanol as pop pop says will clean out a metal tank or will deteriorate a fiberglass tank which is a real mess,but as far as I know all chris' of our vintage are aluminum or steel so the ethanol will clean but it also holds more water. there are ethanol posts from boat us here in this forum that are really infomative,look for them and proceed slowly,before ripping that tank out

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 08 2008 at 08:55 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Michigan 68 fuel filters:

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 08 2008 at 08:56 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Michigan68 racor filter

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 08 2008 at 09:19 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Ok the next five photos are of the anchor system for Nuaticat and red baron.the white shelf is tipped down towards the bow so as the water drains it flows down the bow point to the cabin bilge look closely and you will see a small triangular shaped thing abovt the cushions,that keeps the water from wetting the cushions I suppose you could do a tube thing in this area,but I have had no problems with the way it is now.there are also corresponding holes that are further below to direct the water to the bilge.Pix #1 all ship shape,Pix#2 the panel,Pix#3 thedrain above the cushions,Pix#4the old panel(ugly)but still useful for containing the line,Pix#5shelf and drain system all sealed with sealant to force water to the forward hole.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 08 2008 at 09:22 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

pix#1

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 08 2008 at 09:23 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

pix#2

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 08 2008 at 09:24 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

pix#3

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 08 2008 at 09:26 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

pix#4

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 08 2008 at 09:31 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

pix#5

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 08 2008 at 09:41 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Now,there you go,and just to show ya I'm havin fun here,almost as much fun as the boat,here is the cabin roof,behind the winshield,that used to have the black vinyl but the previous owner had pulled it off and left a real mess,so when I pulled the windshield for overhaul I sanded the deck smooth and applied this ,my buddy owns a sign shop,it's all computer graphiced,one layer the water,the second layer all the fish of the gulf of mexico that are fit to eat and then some 

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 08 2008 at 10:20 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

To mich.68 pop pop. Racor filters are the way to go, but not the spin-on type. A good choice for you would be the racor 500ma30. a better one would be the racor 900ma30 witch is larger. both can be bulkhead mounted. In any case, Use the pmor type filter. This is a 30 micron filter. The tmor and smor filters are 10 and 2 micron respectivly and they will clog too easily. There are companies that do tank cleaning. Should be more cost effective than a tank change. Cold beer and calm seas, Capt Heavy

Michigan68
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 09 2008 at 00:22 | IP Logged Quote Michigan68

Thanks guys - looks like I'll try filters - all kinds - and a tank cleaning - thought tank replacement was a bit extreme.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 09 2008 at 10:05 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Michigan68:Areally good explanation about ethanol is at-BOAT US home page,go to boater to boater,click on message boards,scroll to power boating,click on repairs and maint.thread is by MOVED what you should know about ethanol. This says it all good luck 68 Capt. heavy is right on on the above thread,I don't look forward to the day that ethanol shows up in southwest fla.So far so good.The thing that has my attention is the future,and electric motors instead of carbon based fuels,The HINKLEY guys are working on that and may be well ahead of the curve.They were in boat us magazine a while back very interesting read. CAPT HEAVY: Not to change the subject,but I have a 77 20' shamrock cuddy with a new (50 hrs.)351 in it among other things,if you are interested in a smaller boat.Alas,no trailer,needs a paint job as it has the original finish,and no bottom paint ever. asking 5000.00,was 8000.00 

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 09 2008 at 10:21 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

hI BOATMA66. That's a real good deal on that Shamrock, considering the new engine. However I'm looking for somethig in the 25 foot range. The one requirement is a stand-up head. No portta potties for me. Oh, and a fridg. Gotta keep my beer cold at all times. Pursuit made a 25 walkaround that might suit my needs. Gotta sell my 33 chris first. Good luck in this market. If I hear of anyone looking for a Shamrock, I'll let you know. Calm seas and cold beer, Capt. Heavy.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 09 2008 at 10:52 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Thanks for the comeback capt.yeh the porta p keeps this old guy out too.got both the stand up and the cold beer recepticle on the chris.plus other things heh heh,the admiral says "boatman somethins gotta go".....ain't gonna be me  

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 15 2008 at 21:12 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Hello! New guy on the forum, new boat owner.1982 251. bought the boat to "fix up" wife told me i need to talk to someone because she thinks i lost my mind! so here i am!Fellas, and any ladies, ya'll have done some awsome work on your crafts and have given a lot of good pointers, so thanks! Its going into the water this saturday for test runs (local lake) then soon hope to get to washington n.c.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: April 15 2008 at 22:58 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hello Floater,

Welcome to the water...

It's helpful to come up to speed on editing digital photos and the fine art of uploading images. The site seems to be interminrtent on when it's possible to include one photo or more...not sure what that's about. Any diagnostics on that front will be most appreciated.

Onward: Can you give us a discription of your boatmanship, mechanical, electrical background and status of the vessel?

It's not gospel, but experience suggests a Pre first trip check out:

First check you have good connections and hot batteries  (very good, full charge on both batteries- replace first if necessary- fresh batteries are important.  Open raw water through-hull valve(s). Leave enginre hatch(s) open. The starter should turn at a good clip while cranking-shows a good battery charge. Fire the engine and let her warm up. Carefully watch the temp guage...it should cycle up/down slightly as the thermostat opens and closes for coolent regulation. Check for oil pressure. Check electrical guage, should never fall below about 13 volts unless something is on like lights, bilge blowers, bilge pumps etc...make sure everything is off. Start up should take no longer that say, 10 seconds or thereabouts.  This is because longer than that, there is a risk of getting raw cooling water from the exhaust riser backing into the exhaust valves.  After startup, check raw water output out the exhaust pipe right away...if no water coming out, shut down and find out why.

When warmed up, feel the top of the risers, all should be equelly warm.  Make secure the boat with multiple docking lines. At idle check with a flashlight, do a visual inspection for cooling system leaks, through-hull fittings, shaft logs (if inboard engine) .  Engage the transmission (in marine speak, the "gear") at idle, forward and reverse and check for excesive shaft runout, shaft packing drop rate.. let the gear warm up. If you can, check to see if the gear heat exchanger(s) is leaking water- if it's leaking transmision fluid, you won't see it because the fluid goes out the exhaust pipe with the raw water making a slight oil slick. Sometimes the raw water makes an slight oils slick anyway...just watch the fluid level of the gear.

Smell the engine for gas, smoke, electrical etc. it should smell sorta... ok..this is hard to define, but you will learn what smells "right". Hands clear!!! Just set with her for a while at idle, check guages to see if they work. Take her out of gear after warmup and check throttle arm movement and engine throttle responce out of gear.  After she's warmed up a spell, shut-r-down. check belts, heat exchanger hoses, fuel lines etc. You should have instant restart.

Take her out... slow, gradual throttle up. Constant visual, sound, smell engine checks. Have cell phone and a big fire extinguisher(s) just in case. An able seaman sort with you is best...or at least a level headed person for those first trips..also to help with docking, fend off,  stand engine watch etc... 

Fair winds!

Roy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 16 2008 at 08:44 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

floater251-Congrats on purchase of 251 cat. Great little boat. I owned a 77 251 for four years. Wife and I cruised to many ports of call with her from our home port on the Bohemia River, northern Chesapeak Bay. If you have the Marine Power engine, the first thing I would do is deep six the Mallory distributer and install a Prestolite electronic ignition distributer. Worth every penny. Another problem I had was getting bilge water in the starter. Starter was mounted so close to the bilge even a small amount of water sloshing around would get in the starter. solved the problen by installing a small bilg pump as far aft as I could to pump bilge dry while running. With the price of gas being what it is, I wish I had it back. It was very economical to run, unlike my twin engine gas hog 331 corinthian that I now own. We were able tocruise as far norht to atlantic city and as far south as Williamsburg Va. without breaking th bank. Good luck. Calm seas and cold beer, Capt. Heavy.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 16 2008 at 09:23 | IP Logged Quote floater251

I think im going to do ok...im a srevice manager at a gm dealership (engine techs!)raised by a family of carpenters, and friends with an x coastguard mechanic with a capt'n license whos dad owns a marina in michigan!If ya'll want, i'll post some pix or send a link of the slow progress. so far, a lot of teak work, seat upholstry, hull sanding, bottom paint, srtipe paint etc.. really, everything that needs to be done under the rub rail. the rest of the cosmetics will be done in the water throughout the summer. by the way, does anyone know where i can get one of the vent louvers for the side of the hull?

thanks, "floater"

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: April 16 2008 at 09:35 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Floater,

Try chrisparts.com

roy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 16 2008 at 09:42 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Thanks Roy, just ordered one!

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 16 2008 at 11:15 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Welcome aboard floater 251,there is a lot of knowlege here and more getting on board,the main thing of course is have fun doing those projects as the rewards are great!!OK guys,need help again,I'm moving the remote searchlight from the top of the cabin to the most forward point on the bow pulpit, the sticking point is I need to extend the 7 wire bundle 15 feet,I checked land and sea and they want 131 bucks for the harness,no way jose,so I'm looking to either make up my own harness or find a company that sells bulk marine wire in all sizes--any ideas???  'll post pix of the project as I go thanks for any and all help boatman66

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 16 2008 at 11:24 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

the base plate

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 16 2008 at 11:26 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

where the plate is going

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 16 2008 at 11:27 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

you get the idea

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 16 2008 at 11:57 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

boatman66- Ward's Marine  Electric in Riviera Beach Fl. carries 7 conducter 18 gauge wire, part no. 18-7mc. Sold by the foot. Phone No.-561-863-3792. They should be able to do a credit card purchase over the phone. Wes marine has a 9 conducter wire, but it's only 22 gauge. Capt Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 17 2008 at 08:02 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Capt.Heavy:You are the best! I'll call Wards marine,since my last name is WARD,things should go good. the spot project is going well.  RED BARON how are you?mechanic back on the job? look back through my posts and see the interior cabin shot? see the two chrome poles either side of the v berth? My oldspotlight wire ran inside the starboard pole to the cabin roof,how they did that was a real mystery. but it came out ok, I tried to take the pole out--ain't gonna happen-it's longer than the cabin is tall so be careful if you try to take them out.they must have dropped them in before they put the top on.you can drop them down to remove the two recievers they fit into for cleaning and polishing,they just won't come out!! DIVERYATES:what are you up to been kinda quiet lately,must be cookin up something special-more video I hopeRoy keeps in touch.The newbie CAPT HEAVY is a real help on here as he is really knowelegable and a very big help.allright back to work sally is calling.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 17 2008 at 09:31 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Capt Heavy:called wards,they only deal inwholesale,but thanks to you I got theright part number and called my local guy here on marco and he ordered it for me.So keep up the good info as we can always use the data.The wards guy wanted to know if I wanted to be a dealer,but I declined. I only need 20 feet. Our west marine is a very small store here and the there are two in naples,but they are not much bigger,so their stock is very limited,the nearest big one is in ft.myers but too far to go.you guys on the east coast have what I call,boaters heaven,more supply places than you can shake a stick at I'm jealousanyway-calm seas/fair winds, boatman 66

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 17 2008 at 10:00 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Boatman66, Glad I could help. We have a pretty good selection of boat supply stores over here. A large west marine, Lewis Marine, Chapman Marin and Boater's world just to name a few. One of the perks of working in the marine industry is that I can order anything I need for my boat from suppliers such as land and sea, Donovan and Port Supply and other companies that only sell to boatyards. Cold beer and calm seas, Capt Heavy.

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: April 18 2008 at 17:49 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Heres some work in progress pix.

trashed the old vinyl bolstered panels, made new out of solid teak and veneer over m.d.o

new cabin door, covered seats, side panels installed

]
] ]
191 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version