View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 13 2008 at 18:52 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

hey guys been awhile been working hard and fishing harder,lol. Floater sorry to hear that your not coming this wayseems like another great weekend,low winds and high sun.Great job on the decal.

Gas prices hear at the marinia went down 4cent a gallon to $3.95,car gas is still same $3.45 to $4.00 depending on the stations.Filling up the chrissy tomarrow incase all goes south .

Glad all hear made the last few storms will little or no damage.

Back to Top Printable version View Dewy's Profile Search for other posts by Dewy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 15 2008 at 08:38 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, gang. Gas prices have gone up 5-15 cents in s.e. florida. Gov. Christ said to report price gouging. Hows things on your side boatman? Only saw one staton out of gas. Took mystic diver out sunday, the ocean water quality has improved, once you are away from the inlet. Drifted cut bait over the near shore reef, caught some undersized mutton snapper, lane snapper, grunts, and managed to get 2 keeper yellowtail snapper and 1 porgie. There will be a fish fry at casa del Heavy tonight. Hopefully the texas refineries will get back on line soon and things will calm down. I'm sure everyone saw all the damage from Ike. I did notice one thing though. Not one home or building they showed on tv had hurricane shutters. I'm sure boatman has them on his home, as do I. Once the windows go the pressure inside the building can lift off the roof and thats the end. If I lived anywhere near an area that was prone to hurricanes I'd do my best to prepare for the worst. Hopefully they will change the building codes down there. All the buildings that came down were stick built. Hope they recover quickley, It' s sad sight. Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: September 15 2008 at 09:16 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Yeah it really is sad to see all the destruction,if they are smart all of those home sites on galveston island will no longer be and the next storm can just wash over.BUT that's not the way is,  is it? Bet next time all people leave.Any thing above a three and I'm outta here. The really sad and frustrating thing is how long before the powers that be keep you away from your things allow you back in,that's why most people stay they know if they go they won't get back in and that is not good. after CHARLIE on ft. myers beach they ended up in fistfights with the sherrif not good..and my place is like a fortress but you never know.bottom line don't take the chance-----fuel over here is remaining only slightly higher hope that holds.Did you guys see all the boats that didn't make it? what afreakin mess. 

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 15 2008 at 10:13 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Yeah, Boatman, a sad sight indeed.I'm about 6 miles inland from the beach, as the crow flies. Our home is built to withsatnd 140 mph wind. But if we got hit with a cat 5, all bets are off. Only problem is where do you go? Get stuck on I95 and your screwed. Not going to a shelter either. My home is safer. I worry about the roof comming off in a cat 5. Oh, and the trees. I have a lot of tall pine trees around the house that are close enough to hit it if they came down. If a cat 5 is headed my way my chainsaw will take care of any tree close to my home before we get hit. I've already lost about 7 trees from francis jean and wilma. Going to cut a few more down when it cools down. Ocean water temp was 85 deg. sunday. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 15 2008 at 16:28 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Hello to all!

hope everyone had a good weekend! went to visit the floater, the lake went from flooded to low pond, they are anticipating a rainy season so they let alot of water out of the lake. the prop and rutter were touching the sandy bottom. was afraid to take her out because there are alot of stumps around the marina and i dont want to do any damage. so i left her tied up and gave her a couple of short blasts forward and blew me out a large sand hole around the prop, so now if the level drops anymore, the bottom will be on the sand and not sitting on the rudder! i need to know if the galley table is the same on the 251 as it is on the 280/281, im working on this inlay and if it is not finished before i sell the boat, im going to give it away to whoever wants it. im doing it strictly for the hobby!

FLOATER

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 15 2008 at 21:06 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Dewy, good to hear from you, really hoped to meet ya, well, perhaps sometime in the future.yah, sis did a good job on that logo, shes done a fiew for a fiew boats, alot of dirt track cars and tons of karts. very creative mind. anyone intersted?

ok! shes back on craigslist charlotte nc aera. anyone watching this forum, you know the quality of these boats! first offer near 5k its theirs. the automobile buisness is slowly declining and realisticly i cant afford to keep her, but i dont want to take a hard hit either. i will save my logo because i WILL be a boat owner again in the future. so perhaps a "floater #2"! humm, sounds like a , you know!

see ya soon! Floater.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 15 2008 at 22:25 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hey Floater,

As much as would love to see you keep your Catalina...did you try the BoatUS Classified?  We get a free online ad and it is good for a few months.

Here is the link:

http://www.boatus.com/classifiedads/adtype.aspx

Here are the 251's on Boat US now...

1983 Chris Craft 25'11'' MD $8,700
1980 Chris Craft 25' NY $6,500
1977 Chris Craft 25'9'' FL $8,500

1977 Chris Craft 25' NY $3,500

Yours being an 1982 and at $5k, sounds like an awesome deal to me!

Tom

Edited by Nauti Cat on September 15 2008 at 22:27

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 15 2008 at 22:39 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi everyone,

Just in case you're interested...I posted a few new videos from this past weekend on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT-SO8Ti3Wg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdaNzQPmi6Y

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: September 16 2008 at 08:35 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

WAY TO GO NAUTI I LIKE THE HANDLE AT THE COCKPIT ENTRANCE TO THE CABIN,I DON'T HAVE THAT,BUT WILL SOON,I HAVE BEEN GRABBIN THE TROUGH ALL THIS TIME----FUNNY HOW THINGS PROGRESS HUH? IS THAT HANDLE A CHRIS PART?? BOAT SOUNDS REALLY STOUGHT KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK,AND THOSE SECONDARIES REALLY ARE SWEET FUNNY HOW MUCH ALL OF OUR BOATS HAVE ALL THE SAME STUFF,COMPASS ETC.SAME DRAINS ON THE FLOOR ROD HOLDERS ETC. MUST HAVE MADE IT EASY TO BUILD SO MANY DIFFERENT MODELS. VERY CLEVER-THAT MUST MEAN OUR HULL LAYOUTS (STRINGERS ETC ARE ALL THE SAME ALSO)I GOOTA GET ON U TUBE. 

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 16 2008 at 09:34 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Boatman,

Not sure if that handle is original with my Chris but it was there when I got her and looks like a readily available part from any marine supply.

I am pretty sure your '86 294 and my '85 280 are the same from the rubrail down as far as the hull is concerned.  Mine is listed with a centerline length of 28' 10.5" not including the pulpit and platform.

She runs great with the single engine and gas consumption has not been too bad at all.  I have not been tracking the fuel per hour but it seems to be average around 10gal/hr with running her as I do...fast cruise between 3200 and 3400 RPM and going to WOT every so often. 

I absolutely love the boat and am very happy with the performance (relative to being a cabin cruiser) economy, space and lasting quality of it as a 23 year old boat.

Tom

"MY WAY"

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 17 2008 at 13:46 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Boatman, looks like South Florida water mismanagement are at it again. Going to release water from lake O. for 11 days or so. In a few months they'll be complaining there's not enough water in the lake for the farmers. Our rivers will never clean up. Floater, 5k is a steal for an 82 in good shape. With the economy going south, not too many working class people spending money on recreation. I've only had 1 guy look at my boat in the last 2 months, and he was a tire kicker. I sure hope you have better luck. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 20 2008 at 20:52 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Hi Ya'll, still no hits on the boat. but, here are some work in process pix of the marketry. next is to mount it to the table top and use some bar top pour on finish

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 21 2008 at 08:04 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Floater: Boy that looks great!First Class for sure.
It is a really bad time to try and sell anything.I bid on a 38foot boat the other day and missed it by 20.00 and it brought less than 1000.00 I should have bid more but the Admiral didn't want me to bid at all. Guess you know about that kind of stuff.
The only boats that are selling are the Big Boats which cost millions .Did you have a kit to make the design of the compass? I really like that top and I am sure it will add to the Floater's appeal. Good Luck selling!!
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 21 2008 at 08:34 | IP Logged Quote floater251

SwanneBill, i got the dimentions of the table top and subtracted 4 inches from all 4 sides, made a templet with some foam board. just refered to a picture on the internet. it took me this long to atempt  doing this only because i could not find a kit. i dug out of the veneer pile some bubinga because it has a less figure than the walnut. used birch because it is light colored and well, thats what i had! i just wish the teak was not so figured, i think it takes away from the inlay. well, i guess im going to work on it some more today. have a peacful sunday.

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 22 2008 at 08:34 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Floater, good job! That is just too cool. You got some talent goin' on. I have a feeling some of the other cat owners will want one also. Boatman, the St. Lucie river looks like a mud puddle. I'm sure the Caloosahatchie dosn't look any better. Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: September 22 2008 at 09:32 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi guys I'm here,just real busy with the landscaping jobs and fixin the damn mowers etc,these Mexicans can really tear stuff up.I'd rather be workin SALLY but that will have to wait till the weather cools. Nice job on the inlay Floater,Yeh Cap the caolossahatchee is lookin brown too Way to go water mgt. Everybody ok on all the financial crap goin on?? we are hangin tuff.later Boatman

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 22 2008 at 10:15 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Boatman, just thinking about the finacial mess makes my blood pressure spike. A c.e.o. makes 50 or 100 million a year while the co. goes bankrupt. Then the government (taxpayer) bails them out. Someone needs to go to jail. Most of our clients here at Hinckley are pretty upscale. It's going to be interesting to see what effect the economy has on our business. It can't be good. Floater , I know your in the auto business and it's hurting you too. No matter who gets elected in november, we're screwed. H

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 24 2008 at 12:54 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang. That high pressure system is working it's way thru florida. Very windy to day. Got a good web sight if you want to check out the surf here. google St. Lucie Inlet.com. There are two webcams, one at the inlet and one at sandsprit park boat ramps. Click on either one for a real time close up. Some other good stuuf on there too. Capt. H

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 24 2008 at 20:33 | IP Logged Quote floater251

capt heavy, winds starting to pick up here in central nc. temps 63deg, 10-15 mph wind (normal less than 1 mph) windows open! sipping on some irish coffee. i wish it would stay like this all winter!

struck up a conversation with a customer of mine, come to find out he,s a high up with a yacht club on lake wylie. hes VERY familiar with the cc line and is a fan of the 251 and 280/1. he is going to pass the word to "the group" about the floater. so, maybe some more posibilities. he told me also to do not let her go for any less than 6g.

NO GAS....there is no gas anywhere around here.crazyass people waiting in lines for hours, fights breaking out, massive traffic jams. both my and my wifes low fuel lights are on. luckally i can walk to work if i need to. what the %#!! is going on? can anyone shed some light on this?

floater.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 25 2008 at 07:58 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, floater. 63 degrees is cold. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. No gas in N.C.???  Crazy. We don't seem to have any problem down here. Havn't heard of any problems from family in N.J. or De. Gas is 3.76 to 3.83 a gallon down here. 7 to 9 foot seas down here today. Capt. H

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: September 25 2008 at 08:18 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

It's a screw job of the utmost--them that have and us (the ones that don't have..)

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 25 2008 at 08:42 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Boatman, roger that! H.

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 25 2008 at 09:24 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

HI Floater: Thanks for the DVD !We hads the gas shortage thing about 10 days ago it was short lived and now have plenty. The supply got low in some areas but I think all pipe lines are working well and only 1 refinery is down. I think they the big boys  are going to get bitten in the butt sooner or later.They have kept auto guzzling gas for years. No telling how many inventions they have bought up to keep them off the market.Greed,Greed>. CEO making 50 to 100 million a year. No one alive is worth that kind of money.
Back to Top Printable version View suwanneered's Profile Search for other posts by suwanneered

Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 25 2008 at 20:18 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

hey guys: just checking in,winds have been 25-45 with gust higher for 3 days,tides have been up 5-5.7.so been riding it out at the pier,mostly just high winds only abt 2" rain.No gas shortage here 3.45-3.85.at the marina has stayed the same 3.95. Floater saw your inlay work,great job.I have 30 lf kitchen counter top out of purple heart,and my cab. doors are being made of paduuk (raised panel)with purple heart stiles.Also you might like my kitchen table,9'by 7"thick wood type is uncertain,kinda looks teak,but is more dense,appox 750 lbs. Hope you can come this way 1 day and take a look. Sorry guys rambleing on will sign out and catch a few,lol

Back to Top Printable version View Dewy's Profile Search for other posts by Dewy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 25 2008 at 21:35 | IP Logged Quote floater251

hello ya'll! storm is trying to show its face here, fizzling out by the time it gets to us. a little wind is about all. i hope it does pass, im walking to work tomorrow. yep, no gas! mrs floater hung out in the soup line this morning, when she got to the pump, they ran out of regular but did have premium. what a nightmare for her. the station was in a not sooo nice part of town. the people are nuts, the non english speakers could not follow directions so they caused a serious multi car pile up at the station, one lady got hit. wife freaked could not get out, finally the police had to clear it all up. i'll just walk! dewy, i bet that looks amazing, i love to see people getting out of the mass produced oak same-ol! that is something i would love to see! as for your table, sounds like either ipe or brazilian cherry. i have some of the cherry, it can easily be mistaken for teak, just a little on the redder side and will smoke a drill bit and heavy as a brick. 

have a good night, floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: September 26 2008 at 09:24 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey gang, tgif. Floater, once again, sorry to hear about the gas problems. and speking of imigrants, some times I feel like I'm working in mexico. Miami is the pits. Hopefully they'll get your gas crisis fixed soon. Boatman, we've had some really high tides over on this side, with the 2 systems off shore. Hopeing things calm down enough to get offshore and drop a line. Been hearin' snapper fishin ' is off the charts! Got 2 nice yellowtail a couple fo weeks ago. Wife told me to go catch some more tail. Got one engine running warmer than the other, time to replace the impeller. I'll wait a few weeks when it's a little cooler. Up north most of the boaters would be getting their boats ready for winter. I'd be gearing up for fall stripper season on the Chesapeake, fish till the end of november, the winterize the boat. I don't miss that part at all. Capt. H

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 27 2008 at 10:26 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi there fellow Catalina owners...another soggy day up here in NY

I was wondering you anyone could tell me the brand/type of transmission is in my Catalina by the picture:

I went down to the boat yesterday and found a noticable amount of transmission fluid (prehaps a few tablespoons worth) floating on the surface of the bilge water.  I put some of the oil absorbant pads to soak it up and checked the fluid level which is just below the low mark on the dipstick.  I knew the tranny was leaking, seems to be coming from where the linkage goes in. 

Could any of you recommend the parts, rebuild kit and/or company from which to buy the parts?  Is it common for the tranny to leak that much from this spot?  I noticed on the last few times out when in gear at idle speed (about 550-600 RPM) it sounds like the shaft/drivetrain has play in it as it makes a slight clunking sound as if the prop is catching then slacks, then catches...could low tranny fluid cause this? I typically have 4-6 feet of water under the boat so I ruled out the bottom.  Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tom

"MY WAY"

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: September 27 2008 at 10:50 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Tom,

The transmission a Borg Warner 'Velvet Drive' with, if you have the Murcruiser 230 engine,  a 1.52 to 1 reduction gear (that's the rounded casting thing bolted to the back of the actual gear.

The leaking is probobly coming from worn 'O' rings in the shifter assembly... a simple thing to service. Please locate the prevous discussion on the thread for details. 

Diver 

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 27 2008 at 10:57 | IP Logged Quote floater251

cat, mines leaking too, but my trans does not look like yours. my shifter is on the top center and my dipstick is on the left side. diver, what trans do i have? it is definately leaking from my shifter seal.

floater

ps; starting to get  gas shipments! still raining

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: September 27 2008 at 11:13 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Heavy,

Probably a Paragon gear.  Should be able find a picture online somewhere to confirm that.

Roy

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 27 2008 at 11:43 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Heavy: Is the shifter on top with several holes in it? I would say thet it is a Paragon Tranny.

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: September 27 2008 at 13:00 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Nauti Cat-

My notes on the transmission  'O' ring thing are on pg 18, Feb 17th,'08.

Roy

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 27 2008 at 14:51 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thank you Roy

"MY WAY"

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 27 2008 at 16:54 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Roy, Yep! thats what it is!

Thanks, Floater

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 28 2008 at 09:59 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hey Guys, what type of oil is used in the trnasmisions?  Automotive tranny fluid like Dexron or Type F? 

Thanks,

Tom

"MY WAY"

suwanneered
"Deckhand"

Posted: September 28 2008 at 10:20 | IP Logged Quote suwanneered

Hi Tom: Go to this site and it tells all about the transmissions. The fluid is Type F Dexron   Check this out   cc manuals@yahoo.com

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: September 28 2008 at 10:22 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Cat, i added dextron. i was reassured of my chouce only because while cleaning the engine compartment, i found 2 quarts of dextron atf . i guess the previous owner was aware of the leak too. i am glad to know what trans i have now so i can start to hunt down the necessary seals.

good luck! Floater.

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 28 2008 at 11:49 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thanks guys,

with a little research... this website has some good information:

http://www.velvetdrive.com/7172.html

There are PDF documents and one has the fluid type...DexronIIE or DexronIII or any transmission fluid that meets Detroit Diesel Allison C4 specifications.

I just went down to the boat and there is no new fluid under the tranny, ran it up to temp, put it into gear for a few seconds, shut the engine and checked the fluid which is just under the min line on the dipstick.  The only wet spot on the tranny I can see is just under where the shift linkage goes in since wiping it clean.  I will have that o-ring replaced then take it from there.

Tom

Edited by Sonja Lowe on October 30 2013 at 09:57

"MY WAY"

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: September 28 2008 at 20:28 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Dextron III

Diver

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 28 2008 at 20:43 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Thanks Roy.

I picked up the DexronIII earlier, topped off the warm tranny and it took almost a quart.  I then ran the motor putting it into gear in the slip and nothing leaked out...guess Ineed to get her out on the bay spinning 3500 RPMs to check for leaks.  Boy, those outboards were so much simpler...At least I am learning as I go.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Tom

"MY WAY"

]
] ]
191 Pages « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version