View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: May 17 2007 at 00:03 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

RE water in bulge:

3-4 inches in the bilge should'nt be a problem. Pump it out.  Check for water on the engine dipstick. With a fresh battery, see if the starter turns to check the engine is'nt seized. Then see if it starts- even roughly or wants to start. Check oil pressure right away. shut engine down and check again the color of the oil.

all the best, Roy

Sharkie
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: May 17 2007 at 06:48 | IP Logged Quote Sharkie

Excellent advice! (on water in the bulge).  I'll try it out!

This is a 78', so I may be looking for some dimensions for cushions if it gets to that point.

I feel like I should be paying you guys for this help...

Back to Top Printable version View Sharkie's Profile Search for other posts by Sharkie

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: May 17 2007 at 08:26 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Re on the cushions: If you are talking about the factory cabin cushions, generally one would use the cushion boards as templates. If they are missing, these boards need to be cut, then used as templates for the coushions. Maybe there is someone close by with the same model boat as yours and you can cut paper/cardboard templates from those.

Roy 

sdunlap20690
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: June 26 2007 at 20:41 | IP Logged Quote sdunlap20690

Happy to see a Catalina Board.  I have a 1986 362 that was built in 1985 and was first sold at Solomons Island in 1988.  It truly is a fun boat with lots of 20 year old gear that still works great.

Tall Timbers MD
Back to Top Printable version View sdunlap20690's Profile Search for other posts by sdunlap20690

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 19 2007 at 14:40 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi fellow catalina mates!Boy haveI been looking for you!I own a 1986 294 Chri Craft Catalina and absolutely love her.We have done the interior cushions, from the original  to a nice shade of chris blue,  removed the very abused 305 mercs and installed brand new 350's (same footprint) and on and on Only thing not worked on,the original paint,it's in really good shape.I have the elect schematic from the va mariner museum(what a blessing) and an original Chris Craft sales brochure Which is a big help in the looks of everything. I will post her photo in a few days. Again I'm Really Glad I found this site and look fprward to the forums.BIG PETE MARCO IS. FLA.

Heidi
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 26 2007 at 22:39 | IP Logged Quote Heidi

Hi everyone,

Question maybe someone could help me with......  I looked at a 1979 chris craft - 25ft today, and I wasn't sure if it would be a catalina or not?   I would like to do a bit of research on this boat, but I am not having much luck finding 1979 models.  If anyone would know what this chris-craft would be, I would appriciate your help!

thanx

Back to Top Printable version View Heidi's Profile Search for other posts by Heidi

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: August 27 2007 at 11:18 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Chris Craft was building Catalinas in 1979, though not sure about 25 footers which were built for sure in the 80's. Quickest way to find out might be to check YachtWorld.com and see if any are for sale and compare photos. Unfortunately, this forum seems not to like photo postings. We've nagged the Boat US guys...but no improvment yet...otherwise a picture is worth a thousand words.

Also, check for the serial # on the starboard transome by the rub rail. Chris Craft prefaced all serial #'s with"CC"

Roy  

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 23 2013 at 23:54

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 28 2007 at 10:56 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

heidi,there are two good sources for info on any boat,one is "the mariners museum" chris craft collection,100 msueum drive newport news viginia,23606-3579.I think they also have a web site ,look around. the second is a guy that collects boat brochures etc.,he actually had a sales brochure of the line of murray chris's and sent me one for a small fee.It seems that the murray chris's are mostly lost in limbo when it come to those years,as rumor has it that upon shutting down,everything was tossed, thre is aguy in the tampa area that has a lot of old original chrs stuff, I think you can find him on the CHRIS CRAFT site,maybe one of these older forum guys hare have more knowledge and can help also,keep visiting here as I think most members do log on now and then.The guy with the sales brochure collection is:NT HAMMOND VINTAGE MARINE SALES LITERATURE po box 154,so. bristol,maine 04568.phone,207 644 8755 or web add.www.vmsl.com If you are serious about the boat,these should help in identifying it.smooth waters,peter (boatman66)   

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: August 28 2007 at 11:05 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

CATALINA CHRISCRAFT EMBLEMS: OK HERE IS MY FIRST QUESTION TO ALL CHRIS CFT OWNERS. DOES ANY BODY KNOW WHERE TO PROCURE THE ORIGINAL "CHIS CRAFT" LOGOS THAT ARE ON THE SIDES OF THE BOATS?  I'M REFERING TO THE ONES THAT ARE THICK, NOT THE PLASTIC ONES. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APP. AS MINE ARE ALL SWOLLEN AND ARE JUST PURE JUNK    THANK YOU BOATMAN66

Heidi
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: August 28 2007 at 11:37 | IP Logged Quote Heidi

Thanks diveryates and boatman 66, I will look that up that information!

Heidi

Back to Top Printable version View Heidi's Profile Search for other posts by Heidi

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 14 2007 at 23:32 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi boatman66,

From another forum...see this site, they seem to have a lot of nameplates and logos:

http://www.chrisparts.com/nameplates.htm

I am in the process of buying a 1985 Catalina 280 and have been researcing as much as possible.  I hear that the Mariners Museum has the recordsbuild sheets, brochures for CC's up to 1980.  Almost makes me want to find an older one.

Good luck!

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: September 15 2007 at 09:07 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

hi nauticat thanks for the reply,and the site you mentioned is great,checked it out and bingo,there they are! Is the 280 a twinscrew? My 1986 catalog shows a 282 commander sport fish 28'2" twin engines,I'm assuming it's the same model with different numbers. If you do buy a cc catalina welcome,we catalina owners seem to be too busy with our boats to be on here a lot,but things are looking up and will take time to gather more catalina guys. The connie guys are really smokin on their site and havin fun.I'm on Marco island,so we get to use the boat a lot more here than you guys up north,but that's what we're here for. My cat is a 1986 294(29'8")twin screw,I just completed an engine change from 305cuin to 350's and the difference is really amazing,and it was'nt too bad an odeal as the 350 uses the same foot print as the 305,same block but the 350 has bigger heads,and everything fit very nicely.Again thanks for the help and smooth sailing peter(boatman66) 

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: September 15 2007 at 10:28 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Peter,

The CC Catalina we are looing to buy is a single screw (281 is the twin I believe) and it was repowered about 2 years ago with a 350 cu, 260 hp.  Marco Island is beautiful, we've lived in Cape Coral in the mid 90's but moved back north for work and I have family in Bonita and on the Cape.  The survey will be done this coming week and if all goes ok she'll be ours.  Thanks for the reply!

Tom

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: October 14 2007 at 10:09 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hey fellow catalina owners,After a trip to ft myers for pirates weekend,on the boat and a great time for all,I've started to remove the aluminum rub rail for restoration. the former owner really had abused it.seems he decided to fill each and every screw head with 5200.why I don't know,but using a dremel,it comes out fairly easy,WOW! what ahunk of aluminum that rub rail is!uderneath it, is another run of screws that attach the top of the cabin to the hull,it looks really secure and shouldn't be too much to refurbish.I am however,going to caulk along the bottom of this seam just to ensure there will be no intrusion of water,The rub rail then will be refurbished and reinstalled and the screw holes filled with the correct caulk for sealing. I noticed that the rub rail is not caulked so the water can run past it and not be trapped under it.I'm also thinking of painting the rail to match the boot stripe(blue)Anyone else doing any projects?? 

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: October 14 2007 at 23:21 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Boatman66 & Catalina Forum,

We went with the 1985 Catalina 280, dhe passed the survey and sea trial and the project began.  Over the past few weeks I took care of a few basic items - replaced the self bailing hoses from the cockpit to the transom, replaced the mid-ship bilge pump, rewired the anchor light (not original, this one is on the windshield) and a LOT of cleaning.  We took her out yesterday for the maiden voyage and she performed flawlessly.  Manuvering the single inboard with a stiff 15mph wind was easier than I thought - beginner's luck perhaps?!?!. 

We intend to replace the original headliner, put in new carpet in the cabin and reseal the front windows.  Other than a lot more cleaning and waxing the hull, she is ready to go.  We are keeping her in rack storage at a really great marina on Long Island's Great South Bay - this way the bottom will remain spotless and we wont have to worry about weather so much.

Tom

"MY WAY"

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: October 23 2007 at 08:51 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi nauticat,first, greatnews on the new puchase!! You will find all kinds of things to do on her,and don't be afraid to "upgrade"things as I havedone on mine(led lites inplace of incandescant,newer agm batteries and charger,etc. I even went to bigger 350 engines in place of the old 305's,big difference in get up and go.but still fuel conserving as long as you don't jam the throttles!!!! The headliner job sounds very interesting,as mine is that old furry stuff,and is just outdated for today. Let me know how it goes,and maybe you can even post pictures. I'm seriously cosidering doing mine,but it looks like a real nastyjob. The rub rail job is progressing slowly as the previos owner was really careless in banging into things and they are quite chewed up,but it is going forward. I'm thinking of painting them the chris blue to match the other blues on the hull.As far as the finsh on the boat goes,Iused the product POLI GLO and it really brought out the deepness of the gel coat.It looks almost new,and holds up really well,no more waxing for me!!And when the finish gets marked,youclean with the poli prep and reapply the glo to that ares,and it blends right in.Anyway have fun with your new toy as that what it is all about HAPPY BOATING,PETER (BOATMAN66)

wheelsnkeels
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 24 2007 at 14:18 | IP Logged Quote wheelsnkeels

The Chris Craft Antique Boat Club http:\\www.chris-craft.org has a new forum /registry for Catalina Enthusiasts/Owners

I have a 1972 31 Catalina Hardtop express

It is a little abstract finding information relating to Catalina's we need a common home like the Commander guy's do!

In the meantime maybe this will be a good spot to share info and posts on our boats?

Mark

Syracuse Indiana

wheelsnkeels
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 24 2007 at 14:46 | IP Logged Quote wheelsnkeels

Hi Boatman66

There is a guy on the The Chris Craft Antique Boat Club website

http:\\www.chris-craft.org

Look in the Trading post section selling NOS (New Old Stock) Catalina and Chris Craft assorted logos.

You may want to register in the New Catalina Forum while you are there.

Wheelsnkeels

1972 Chris Craft Catalina

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: October 25 2007 at 09:21 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi wheelnkeels,WELCOME to this site,yes we cat owners are trying to get this going like the big guys Ialready bought the logos from the guy in the tampa area. real nice guy,you have to call him as he doesn't have a web site to purchase from.also look back thru this site and you will find a posting from a guy named earl the pearl in michigan who has warehouses full of chris stuff again thanks for responding,and hope to see u on here in the future. peter,boatman66 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: November 09 2007 at 11:02 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hello capt ken and all other cat guys,I just discovered that when u are on the boat us home page and go to boater to boater and click message boards,scroll down to boats section u are taken to a general messge board and the first line is CATALINAS,there have been 33 hits so far,way more than here.We need to get boat us to send those other cat owners to this site,as they are listed with all kinds of other boat owners and their situations,this site is clearly for us cc guys.That way we will have a lot more info on other cats and we can all work together,What do you guys think????Also if u start scrolling the other site,page after page,the cats show up randomly,rather than grouped together as they are here.Any thoughts???? work on that cat!!!! BOATMAN66  

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: December 16 2007 at 22:20 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Pete - Sounds like you've one of the rare 294 owners!  These aren't very easy to find.  I owned one and loved it!  I cruised the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay with her for a couple of years.  I added a chartplotter, new canvas and a bow mounted spotlight.  The previous owner was unbelievably meticulous, so the interior needed nothing!  We've moved up to a 381 for 5 years and now own a 500 Connie.  Funny how that works, huh?  I had a love affair with the 294 and 381.  It's taking me a bit longer to develop the same relationship with my 500.  She's extremely comfortable and a true liveaboard, but one helluva lot of maintenance.  Have fun with your baby!

Marine Survey - Yacht Delivery
www.easternmarineservices.com
Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: December 18 2007 at 09:15 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi banjoman,thanks for the reply,I was begining to think all the chris guys had sailed off into the sunset! Which probably would be a good thing,haha,Yes I really enjoy my 294,I find she is really the best allaround boat for the Marco Island area in that she does well off shore as well as inshore as on a windy day we have miles off backwater that is sheltered from the wind and when those damn relatives show up,you have a place to take them. Also key west in the summer is just three hours away and that is the time we usually head south. Again thanks for the reply,and enjoy your connie,those guys have a great dialog going and seemlike a nice bunch. regards, boatman66

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: December 19 2007 at 21:39 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

to baatman 66 and other cat owners.  I an a new owner of a cat 294 1986 so far I have run the boat only a couble of hours but have started several projects some are completed others still underway. I want to rebed the side windows and do something to the headliner. am also looking for a hardtop. I would appericate sugestions on best way to do the windows and sugestions as to the headliner.since my boat is so new to me just general conversation as to performance handling construction where to find parts ect would be welcome.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: December 20 2007 at 09:14 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Welcome redbarontu glad to have another cat on board,I also own a 294 1986 cat and just love her,For starters,you can contact the mariners musuem in viginia and they have the original wiring diagram for the 294 you will find it very useful in troubleshooting elect problems as well as what was original on the boat and what was added by other owners. Do you have the 305 engines? they are very good and if running properly you should see speed in the range of 17knots cruise and upwards of 22 knots wot. My 294 has a convertible top which I find very useful here in fla especially when its hot as that really big winshield does have tendancy to restict airflow. regards boatman66 ps we are all still trying to figure out how to post a pix of our honeys with our signatures,if you figure it out let us know..

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: December 20 2007 at 09:56 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi everyone,

Per your information above boatman66, I just called the Museum (Chris Craft Archives - 757-591-7785).  Although most of their archive goes up to 1981/82, they do have limited information on '83 and newer Chris Crafts.  The wiring diagram is on a 24x36 copy and costs only $35 plus shipping.  Their website is:

http://www.mariner.org/library/chriscraft/index.php

I too have been trying to figure out how to add a photo to the signature but I could only find out how to add it to the actual message.  Use the Upload Photo button if the image is on your computer.

Here's my 1985 Catalina 280... 

Season greeting to all!!!

"MY WAY"

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: December 23 2007 at 22:07 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Boatman 66, etal   Boatman thanks for the reply. Please accept my appology for mispelling your name on my first post-I am kinda new to this computer also.I am perty excited to find someone with an 86-294. At first I was looking for a 281 but never found one  that i liked. the find on the 294 was accidental the condition of the boat was good and i went for it,even tho i liked the looks of the 281 better. Now i guess it has grown on me and i appreciate the lines of the boat more and more. Is the reputation of the 294 as good as the 281? Is the hull strong enough for offshore? Are parts, literature, bits and pieces as available as the 280 series? My engines are by pleasurecraft counter-rotating H series.  gm base-260 HP -the boat was repowered in 1992 and had manifolds and risers (new) in 1995.   Total time on engines 800 hrs. engines are running good. I updated to electronic ignition in the new mallory distributiors that were on the boat. Next week I will replace both water pumps, they are leaking and squeeking now. Otherwise they seem to be ok and run well.  Can you tell me how to contact the guy in  Tampa that sell cc emblems?  Mariners museum told me they didnt have anything on the 294 or 86 year models. Thanks  again for the comeback, hope we will be able to chat in person or by phone sometime.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: December 24 2007 at 09:00 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi redbarontu,I can,after the holidays,send you a copy of my elect.diagram,although it has a lot of my own notes on it. I'd be glad to do it.  The web site for the chris emblems is chris parts .com I believe but you have to call them as they don't do orders on the net. To be sure of the web add look back thru old posts it's there. You can also check message boards under the home page as there is a discussion going on there also. and scan the connie guys line on this site as they are always on and have a lot of knowlege about chris' in general . Guys like pop pop and pete37 are really up on all sorts of history etc. our 294s are a real seaworthy boat and mine handles well in all sorts of conditions. When we have a northeast wind, which for the gulf west coast of fla means offshore, I usually go for a run just to practice in 3 to 4ft seas, going with the wind out and then against the wind coming back in reading the seas and responding accordingly is the most important thing you can learn. regards boatman66 

Banjoman
"First Mate"

Posted: December 24 2007 at 10:43 | IP Logged Quote Banjoman

Baron - The 294 is a very nice boat as I have attested.  However, I advise you to pick and choose your weather windows carefully if running off-shore.  The 294 ain't no Buddy Davis.  She has a modified-V hull, as I'm sure you know, and does not take kindly to hard pounding in heavy head seas.  I know, I busted the port outter stringer on my 294 doing that on the Chesapeake.   Of course, the Bay can be extremely hard a boat in 4-6' seas depending on wind direction.  I was at the mouth of the Potomac that day and it was murder!  If you ever notice an "unusual" amount of flex or movement at the dinette liner, or a crack in the shower pan or any counter tops, better hire a good surveyor and have the stringers examined and repaired.  If repaired properly, they'll never crack at that point again.  Good luck.

Marine Survey - Yacht Delivery
www.easternmarineservices.com
Back to Top Printable version View Banjoman's Profile Search for other posts by Banjoman

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: December 29 2007 at 10:35 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

BARON,What emory says is very true about hard seas,be really careful and use your throttles accordingly as this model will roll.Now onto more important data,contact the mariners museum and tell him you want hull no. 1986 0n, series model 293 basic wiring no. 29.00-23504 murry chris craft.dated 5-29-85. Thats the number on my drawing sheet from the mariners museum. If you still aren't sucessful let me know thru this thread.Do you have the 305 cu.in. motors or the 350's? Mine came with a very abused set of 305's which I tried my darndest to revive,but in the end I ended up with new 350 long blocks which turned out to be a really neat project,and I really like the increased performance I GOT. I just have to learn to stop pushing the throttles all the way forward and leave those large secondaries alone!!!! Overall I love the all around usage of this particular boat for where I live. I take it you live on the east coast atlantic in the carolinas,a whole different animal from the gulf of mexico,although we do have a lot of missing,blowing up type of incidents here sometimes I wonder who buys boats. I always respect the boat and the water and have had no problems in thirty years of boating. Igrew up in wickford R.I. right on the water and have had a love of it since then.regards boatmann66

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 05 2008 at 15:55 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

anybody know,on the chris craft catalinas below the steps to the cabin is a space(mine has the bilge pump in it)and it appears that there is a small tunnel that joins the rest of the bilge area from the main area in the engine compartment/fuel tank area to the cabin area,question-- does this tunnel have to be there? Mine seems to let in bilge water from aft section to the cabin area.Can or should I say, may I seal this off to keep fumes and other unwanted things from entering the cabin area?I have four bilge pumps on board,one aft near the rudder area,one under the batteries,one mounted  to the firewall with a tube into the cabin keel,and one under the steps to the cabin for the cabin keel. two are large and are for flood control and controlled by switches on the helm console (stock)the other two are the daily usage ones.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.rgards,peter,boatman66  

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: January 05 2008 at 16:45 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Peter,

The Hole/tube in question is for emergency flood control. The tube was corroded on my 280. I identified its size and replaced it,  sealing it into the bulkhead with Lifetime caulking. From the factory, there is supposed to be a rubber expandable plug for sealing this tube. The plug is a common item at a marine or hardware store.  Accuratly sizing and finding the replacment tube is the tricky part if it is corroded/leaks from the bulkhead hole .  Normally, the plug is kept in place until removed  by crew for flood control and to control stability by evening-out  weight distribution of the intruding floodwaters inside the hull. Also, it can buy time to find and stop the leak. It may also bring the water level down in the engine spaces enough to keep the engine(s) from stalling due to flooding. It is not intended as a conduit for electric wiring and plumbing.

All the best! Roy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 05 2008 at 19:22 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

thanks roy, I'm glad you guys are around,Now I'll clean it up and get the plug from w.marine, that sounds a lot better than sealing it up with sealer.I think I'll go in from the cabin side to access it. I just take the two steps out and will have a nice big hole with which to work.The engine side has the fire bottle mounted on the bulkhead,and would have to be removed,along with all 3 batteries which is just too much work. so,thanks again roy,peter.boatman66

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: January 05 2008 at 22:29 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Hi Guys,

My 1985 280 also has this hole, I bought the rubber & stainless expandable plug from West Marine as the boat did not come with one when I bought it.  There is a plaque in that compartment stating the Coast Guard regulation to have a plug installed in that bulkhead.  When the boat was hauled I removed the plug and any water in the forward bildge that the pump could not get, drained out.  If your boat is laid up for the winter as is mine, that plug must be removed so water drains to the stern and out of the boat.

"MY WAY"

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: January 17 2008 at 22:27 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

HELLO BOATMAN,BANJOMAN,DIVERYATES,NAUTICAT AND OTHER CAT OWNERS.

I FOLLOWED YOUR COMMENTS REGARDING THE TUBE DRAIN UNDER THE STAIRS TO THE REAR,COCKPIT AREA OF THE BOAT. I ALSO FOUND WHAT APPEARS TO BE ANOTHER DRAIN DOWN LOW BETEWEEN THE BULKHEAD AND THE HULL. I CANT GET TO THE REAR SIDE OF THE BULKHEAD TO TELL FOR SURE, DOSE ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS ANOTHER DRAIN THAT IS NOT PLUGED?

I AM STILL PONDERING TAKING OUT THE MAIN CABIN WINDOWS TO RECAULK. I HAVE SEVERAL SMALL LEAKS ALONG THE BOTTOM OF THE MAIN WINDOWS, BOTH SIDES. MY WINDOWS SEEM TO BE BUILT IN ONE PIECE FASTENED TO THE SIDE OF THE BOAT BY FASTNERS UNDER THE HEAVY RUBBER GASKET THAT IS A CONTINOUS PIECE AROUND THE WHOLE WINDOW. I STARTED AT THE REAR OF THE WINDOW, WHERE THE GASKET FORMS A -V- TO REMOVE THE GASKET BUT  STOPED WHEN IT WAS EVIDENT THAT THE GASKET WOULD BE SEVERLY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED TRYING TO REMOVE IT.

HAS ANYONE TAKEN THE WINDOWS OUT? IS THE LARGE GASKET AVAILABLE AND WHERE? THIS GASKET IS USED ON THE 294 MODEL ONLY AS FAR AS I CAN TELL.I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW IF THE WINDOW UNIT IS TRULY BUILT IN ONE PIECE ONLY?

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: January 17 2008 at 22:56 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

BOATMAN :

A FEW POST BACK YOU ASKED ABOUT THE WATERS AROUND WHERE I LIVE. WE ALSO HAVE LOTS OF INLAND WATER TO  BOAT ON. THE NEUSE RIVER- WIDEST RIVER IN USA SO IM TOLD,THE PAMLICO AND ALBERMARLE SOUNDS PLUS SEVERAL OTHER RIVERS AND BAYS. THE INTERCOASTAL WATERWAY RUNS PAST US SO WE CAN GET ALL THE WAY SOUTH OR NORTH AND "OUTSIDE" AT BEAUFORT AND OCAROKE NC. ORIENTAL IS KNOWN AS THE SAILING CAPITAL OF NC WE HAVE APPX. 2500 SAIL BOATS DOCKED HERE. I WAS A LIVE A BOARD SAILER FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS GOING FROM CAPE MAY, NJ TO THE NORTH, THE BAHAMAS AND SOUTH TO TRINADAD. WE HAD A GREAT TIME SAILING BUT NOW I AN INTERESTED IN PLAYING WITH THE CAT FOR AWHILE. MY SAILBOAT [A 40 FT CENTER COCKPIT] WAS SOLD EARLY THIS YEAR. ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO I HAD A 25 FOOT CHRIS AND LIKED IT A LOT AT THAT TIME SO I AM EXCITED TO HAVE THE 294 TO PLAY WITH.

IF YOU ARE ANY OTHER CAT GUYS PASS THRU ORIENTAL PLEASE LOOK ME UP. HAPPT BOATING NEW YEAR.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 19 2008 at 11:08 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi redbarontu andnauticat,I haven't done the tube between the two areas yet,I was busy replacing my batteries with AGM's and a new agm charger.I had to remove the remote oil filter,which hangs off of the stbd engine over the batt area,when I was done I fired up the engs,but forgot to rehand the remote oil assy. and since it was hanging over the front of the eng,the pulley  cut the hoses and sprayed oil all over everything!!!!!now I have to remove everythind and clean,clean,clean.As punishment for having my head (you know where) So while I have the entire battery bay removed,I'm going to do the tube thing,My question is,does anybody know the inside diamater of that tube??

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: January 19 2008 at 13:31 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Boatman 66,

The thing that forced me to replace the tube was trying to get that expandable plug out during routine inspection. Our old friend Age again. The plug seazed and getting it out by hook or by crook did the tube in. Not a good thing in an emergency type situation. If the plug can be removed without damage to the tube, clean up the tube's inside diameter, check the bulkhead seal and consider leaving well enough alone.

TIP: USE CRISCO VEGITABLE COOKING GREASE TO WET OR OTHERWISE ASSIST IN TUBING PROJECTS.  IT WAS A GOD-SEND WHEN DEALING WITH EXHAUST HOSES.  THIS CRISCO STUFF QUICKLY DESOLVES INTO NOTHING AFTER THE PROJECT'S DONE. OVER TIME, PETROLIUM BASED LUBRICANTS LEAVE RESEDUES AND DEGRADE THE MATERIAL IT IS IN CONTACT WITH.  cool. 

If the tube is messed up, the simplist way to do this is to grit your teeth, suck it up and get that tube out, size it, (material was aluminum  on my boat, probobly so's it don't rust). fit a replacment expandable plug first while it's out and then install/seal a replacment tube into the bulkhead. Coat the inside diameter of the tube with Crisco before installing the plug. Test the plug's removal function a few times to make sure it works easily, but stays in place. 

I found it a bear to get the darn tube out.  Close fit of the bulkhead and the tube's outside diameter caused difficulty. Breaking free the adhesive/seal by turning the tube in the bore freed it so the tube spins in the bulkhead hole. However, due to the tight fit, the residual sealant on the tubes outside surface resulted in a wedge effect when I tried to pull the tube out. Scrape as much of the old sealant off the tube before trying to push/pull it out. 

Chief White Eagle say:  Endeavor to persevere.

'bout oil spraying all over the place...what a bummer! Here comes the lecture! As a medical equipment field  engineer working alone most times, I always go slow and easy, even in an emergency. I've had patients under anesthesia who were on an OR table that failed- clear thinking is needed and going slow under pressure, even from OR Staff did the trick. One of the best tools I have is keeping a clean rag stashed close by: when sencing a pause coming on, I step back phiysicaly and mentally.  I pull out the rag, slowiy wipe my hands and think things over. All projects have a flow. To me, fussn 'bout  boats is a joy and pauses like this allows relaxation to sink in, gives me time savor the moment.  Being dumb-as-a-bag-of hammers as I am , it took years of mistakes to get the hang of that kind of thinking. 

Hope this helps you avoid the pickadillows I'v made so many times over the years.

From the SF Bay,

Roy

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: January 19 2008 at 23:23 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

BOATMAN  SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR OILY MESS IM SURE WHEN YOU FINISH CLEANING THE ENGINES WILL LOOK SHINY NEW.

DID YOU TAKE OUT THE SHELF THAT THE BATTERIES ARE MOUNTED TO. IF SO DID YOU HAVE TO CUT THE SHELF OR REMOVE LOTS OF THINGS TO GET IT OUT? WHAT SIZE BATTERIES DID YOU USE AND HOW MANY? I WANT TO TAKE OUT THE BATTERIES AND THE SHELF TO RE DO SOME WIREING AND CLEANING THAT I CANT GET TO OTHERWISE. I HAVE 3 GROUP 27 BATTERIES NOW AND WOULD LIKE TO GO UP TO 31'S AND ADD A FOURTH BATT. I PROBABLY WON'T USE AGM'S NOW BUT HAD THEM IN MY SAILBOAT, THEY ARE GREAT BATTERIES THE BEST IN MY OPINION.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 20 2008 at 09:22 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Hi redbarontu and diveryates,Yeah I usually stop after a job and do the double check thing also,comes from working on air force jet aircraft where the life of a pilot is in your hands,a very serious thing.Thanks for the tube info diveryates,the crisco thing is good,I usually use wd40,and it does leave a residue,i had lead acid batts,and in southwest fla,the heat is just too much,plus I leave the charger on all the time(new solid state type)and one of those batts was always going down,so hopefully,these agm's will help cure that problem.I looked at the three different classes,and went with the group 31's which at west marine are dual pupose types. Expensive,but away from an ac power source one of them is always off and ready to crank an engine.I also installed a new charger,as the agm's take a different type of charging,and also installed two solid state combiners that are on only when the engines are running,that way I'm sure all three batts are being charged when under way.I think the two most important things on a motor boat are the engines and the bilge pumps.Without either working properly,you go nowhere or you sink!! Again thanks guys for the help,I'll keep you posted on the progress.Now hmmmmm  

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 20 2008 at 10:00 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

redbarontu,the batt shelf on my 294 is screwed to two small rails,which are attached to the stringers,my batts sit between the engines,also below the shelf is a medium sized bilge pump,which is my main everyday pump,there are also three more pumps,one aft(larger)switch on console,and two in the cabin one controlled by another switch on the console.Both console swithes have man/auto/off and an indicator light for each one I leave those in auto on all the time in case the boat floods then when the light comes on I know something is wrong..the other two are switched by controls I mounted on the panel the pilots seat is attached to right below the seat.hope this helps,peter

]
] ]
191 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version