View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 185 186 187 188 189 190 191
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: April 03 2012 at 19:31 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Jim, Dan-I hear ya...

Dan- Just to be crystal- the green bilge is fiberglass, not jelcoat.  The matted resin covers and conforms to the wood stringers too- protecting it from water and adding structural strength. These early boats are heavily built. Until CC (and other mfgr's) got the hang of working with fiberglass, they just overbuilt- good for us! You can see the glass matting inpreginated with dried resin. For example, A 'skin' of jel coat covers the matting on the hull's exterior, creating that nice, smooth surface- that is a jel coat- no matting is in this layer.

With the scuttle-plug out, water from the pressure washer will drain- a beautiful thing... 

Remember gang, next time the Feds are on your tail for smuggling Havanas, just pull the scuttle plug and the boat...and you will just dissppear!

Actually, the plug has several uses- one of which is counter floodong if the boat is holed.  There is a counter flood tube between the enginroom and the cabin bilge for just this reason...its regulation.

Roy

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: April 05 2012 at 09:25 | IP Logged Quote RickP

Worked on the boat last night for a while, then somehow
proceeded to spend $80.00 or so over the Yacht Club bar!
Whew...seemed like a good plan last night! Anyway....I
might
have gotten a little carried away! Here is what she looks
as of yesterday.

er.jpg">

For some reason the sites not allowing my
photo/photobucket link. Here is a link...

http://www.chriscraftcatalinaclub.com/showthread.php?
141-And-one-more-project..why-not-I-m-this-far-so-I-
might-as-well-keep-going..

Edited by RickP on April 05 2012 at 09:34

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 06 2012 at 08:45 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

RICK-CAN'T SEEM TO GET CCCCLUB SITE TO COME UP--NOT ON FIRST TWO PAGES EVEN WHEN PUTTING IN .COM--ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM??I AM ON COMCAST I AM A MEMBER OF THE CLUB--DID YOU CHANGE PROTOCALL OR SOMETHING??

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 06 2012 at 09:34 | IP Logged Quote Berg

OK so I had some time to play with the boat and actually had to cut the grass under it. I'm not one to break out the weed whacker if i don't have to so I hooked up to the Chevy K2500 and pulled it forward. It took a little throttle to get it to move and at that point I heard a snap and it started rolling. I pulled it down the road a ways to see what the noise was and it turns out the brake shoes let go of their linings and they are stuck to the drums. I knew it was a long time coming to do brakes on it but this is it, I guess I have no choice now. I'm going to do the seals and re-pack the bearings anyway so it is a good thing I guess. I'm still tossing around the stainless disc brake option. I like the fact that everything will be open and visible so inspecting them will be a breeze. I only have brakes on one axle so it shouldn't be too bad on the pocket. I also looked at the master cylinder and that may also have to be changed out soon. The great news is I got the lawn cut and put the boat back and it looks good!

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY
Back to Top Printable version View Berg's Profile Search for other posts by Berg

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 06 2012 at 09:38 | IP Logged Quote Berg

http://www.boatersland.com/tie82072.html?gclid=CMOYldiroK8CF YRM4Aod1hf6TA

Here is one of the kits I was looking at. I figure I might as well replace everything at once. The trailer is a 2001 and everything appears to be original except the bearings and tires from when I got the trailer in 2008

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY
Back to Top Printable version View Berg's Profile Search for other posts by Berg

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: April 06 2012 at 10:50 | IP Logged Quote RickP

Quote: boatman66

RICK-CAN'T SEEM TO GET
CCCCLUB SITE TO COME UP--NOT ON FIRST TWO PAGES
EVEN WHEN PUTTING IN .COM--ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS
PROBLEM??I AM ON COMCAST I AM A MEMBER OF THE CLUB-
-DID YOU CHANGE PROTOCALL OR SOMETHING??

I'll dig into it, nothing was changed. Glad to see some
movement with us Northern and Eastern guys...Spring must
be here!

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 06 2012 at 23:18 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang. Berg, I'll be honest, if I had to trailer a boat in S.E. Florida, I'd quit. The ramps around here are a zoo on weekends. Weekdays, not so bad. EVERYBODY has a boat, or at least something that floats!
 In the process of rebuilding the head pump motor, seals leaking.

JimHH, may go to the sandbar Saturday. Hope all is well. H.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 07 2012 at 09:07 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

CRANKED UP SALLY AND THE BOYS AND I WENT FISHING--NO FISH!!AND TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY THE STBD ENG TRANNY QUIT WORKING!!LIMPED HER HOME ON ONE ENG(LOVE 2 ENGINES)SECURED THE THING ON THE LIFT AND WALKED AWAY--WILL LOOK AT IT MONDAYSUCH IS THE BOATING LIFE

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 08 2012 at 19:48 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Happy Easter everyone!

Capt. Heavy- If I wasn't going to trailer it I probably wouldn't be able to own a boat. Right now in my life its the only affordable way. Also where I am, I have so many different options of launching it is great. My secret is to get to the ramp before 8am. it starts building up around 9am. hauling out is a different story, there is always a waiting line to get out of the water on big weekends. I usually park at a relatives or a friends house near the ramp

Boatman- sorry to hear about the trans... I know how that feels. Is it a Borg warner velvet drive, a paragon or other?

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 09 2012 at 09:32 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

BORG ONE TO ONE MAYBE JUST LOW ON FLUID--HAVEN'T LOOKED YET --SWAMPED AT MY SHOP WITH TRAILER AND LAWN MOWER WORK--MAYBE TOMORROW--NEIGHBOR HAD A EASTER PARTY LAST NITE--FOUND MY MAILBOX SNAPPED OFF AT THE BASE THIS A.M.-SO SORRY SALLY YOU ARE #4 ON THE LIST--NEEDED A NEW MAIL BOX ANYWAY--OFF TO LOWES SEE YA!I WILL TAKE PICS OF BOAT WHEN I FIND PROBLEM

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 09 2012 at 11:08 | IP Logged Quote Berg

www.kp44.org/ftp/VelvetDriveInstallationManual.pdf

I don't know if this link is any help to you but it is the pdf file for the transmission. I found it on google and it comes in handy. I'm sure there are others out there too.

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 09 2012 at 23:22 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hello, All. Boatman, first off check tranny fluid. My guess it looks milky. If so, tranny cooler is bad. If not and it's just low, you gotta leak somma ware!! I'm not tellin' ya nuthin' ya don't already know. I'm jus' sayin'!! HA!!

JimHH, met with friends around the back side of the sandbar sunday, nice and quiet, cooked some dogs, changed some zincs and just hung out.

Nite,all, H.Clap

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: April 09 2012 at 23:27 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Capt'n Heavy:

Instead of a Marine bilge paint, would you consider a RUSTOLEUM paint suitable, as a low-cost alternative?  Or perhaps I should stay with a Marine Bilge Paint?

How about  roll and tip painting with a Gel Coat? 

On prepping the fiberglass, the "Wove" pattern makes sanding, as a prep, rather useless activity.

Dan  (Fly Bridge)

Edited by Fly Bridge on April 09 2012 at 23:29

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 10 2012 at 08:27 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

FLYBRIDGE DON'T BE SANDIN THAT FIBERGLASS!!AND YES I HIGHLY RECCOMEND BILGE PAINT IT IS SOMEWHAT LIKE AN EPOXY TYPE PAINT AND IF YOU APPLY IT CORRECTLY WILL LAST A VERY LONG TIME I DID MINE WHEN THE ENGS WERE OUT AND THAT WAS 5 YRS AGO STILL LOOKS GOOD CAPT HEAVY --YEH I HAVE A SNEAKING SUSPICION LOW FLUID IS THE PROBLEM--HOWEVER SPENT YESTERDAY PURCHASING-A NEW MAILBOX SET UP FOR THE HOUSE-SEEMS THE NEIGHBORS EASTER PARTY GOT A LITTLE TOO HAPPY AND SOMEONE TOOK OUT MY MAILBOX SNAPPED IT RIGHT OFF MY LAND IS ALL FILL FROM THE CALUSSA INDIANS EONS AGO ALL SHELL AND LIKE CONCRETE MAN THOSE INDIANS ATE ALOT OF SHELL FISH!! MAY LOOK AT THE TRANNY TODAY OR TOMORROW AS I HAVE "MONSTER TRUCKS"THIS WEEKEND AT THE SWAMP BUGGY TRACK THREE DAYS THREE SHOWS-

Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 10 2012 at 10:42 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

Been down for awhile, but coming up for air again. Getting a diver down on Saturday for hull cleaning and my marine mechinic is going to start on my engines tune up  and problem solving.Hope to be ship shape soon.

Dewy

Back to Top Printable version View Dewy's Profile Search for other posts by Dewy

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 11 2012 at 14:09 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

happy belated Easter....we just got back from a visit to Cape Coral FL to see the family.  My brother who is in Bomita Springs recently picked up a 22' pontoon boat to compliment his 15' Whaler.  Had a great day on saturday crusin' Estero bay, had lunch at a sea-side restaurant/bar on Lover's Key...great day to be out on the water and capt'n Nick got his fill of piloting his uncle's pontoon boat.  Rest of the time we got to see all of the family.  We rented a waterfront pool home so the kids had a great time swimming all day and night.  Back to work today.

getting closer to summer here on Long Island...looking forward to the nice weather for sure.

keep up the great posts!  love all the work you guys are doing to your cats...

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 11 2012 at 22:59 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hello, All. Nauti, sounds like a great time with family, waterfront pool home????? Big $$$$$$$$$

Dewy, striper season is comming!

Flybridge, I cannot recomend a product I have never used, and I have not used Bilgecoat or rustolium. I have never painted my bilge. However, preparation is 90% of a good paint job. Clean, clean and clean some more. And after all that cleaning, you may realize that it may not need paint, after all!! Nite, All, H!

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 13 2012 at 22:54 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Hey guys Just thought I'd inform you of the crap that has happened here on Long Island lately. On Monday we had a big brush fire that went out of control and took out some houses and horse stables and a garage from a local race team. We managed to save a lot and it took all day to get it under control. We are still chasing random hot spots in the area now and then. It has been very dry around here and only 30% humidity. I will try to get some pics up within the next week or so. I'd say it was the first time I had a fire jump over me like that!

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 13 2012 at 22:59 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 13 2012 at 23:01 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 13 2012 at 23:03 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 13 2012 at 23:06 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 13 2012 at 23:39 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

BERG! STAY SAFE!! Awsome pix, so sorry for the destruction, most likley from some careless person. We just had a fire , just a few miles south near HOBE SOUND, lost 85 acres. Be careful!! Capt. Steve

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: April 14 2012 at 10:00 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Launched last weekend.  What a deal to get in 1st week of April.  You southern boys and west coasters just can't appreciate how short our season is here in the north.  An April launch is like winning the lottery.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
http://www.superiordaycruises.com
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: April 14 2012 at 10:01 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Ol' Black Betty rides one more time.  This old Chevy of mine sure has been a good faithful truck!

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: April 14 2012 at 10:03 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Full moon over the marina early Sunday morning.  Great show.  Fairly lonely at the marina this time of year.  I like it!

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: April 14 2012 at 13:22 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

WOW GREAT FIRE PICS BERG HERE IN FLA SAME THING VERY DRY AS I LIKE TO SAY FLORIDA IS ON FIRE-FIRES GET GOING IN THE SWAMPS AND NO WAY TO GET TO THEM--CAPT MARK NICE PICS OF ROB ROY SUMMER FINALLY THERE GREAT!!

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 15 2012 at 01:33 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Cpt. Mark,

I was in Chicago on Friday and the weather was awesome!

Jim

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

RUFF C's
"Seaman"

Posted: April 15 2012 at 12:05 | IP Logged Quote RUFF C's

Guys - i need a little advice. I need to clean up and repaint my
engines, transmissions and mounts. Old paint is coming off and rust is
getting to be a problem. I'm running in a salt water environment and I
want to do this right. I figured I'd take a Dremel and small wire brush
to everything, then coat with degreaser, then a rust converter and
finally repaint crusader blue. Does this sound right and can anyone
recommend products for me.

Back to Top Printable version View RUFF C's's Profile Search for other posts by RUFF C's

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: April 15 2012 at 15:22 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Ruff C's,

Yup, sounds about right. As usual, prep  and especially purging all debris is everything. Scrapping rust, brush off salt, hair(don't know why exactly, but there's always hair on our engine), Oil and so on. The painting is actually the fun part. 

Driveline cleaning/painting is an ongoing thing, so if you don't catch some spot now you will eventually- just be consistant over time. Have a good vacuume cleaner ready for dust pick up when and as you are using a drimal, powered round brush and for everything that drops in the bilge.

Have newspaper, blue masking tape and tinfoil ready for masking. clean all 1st, then mask/paint section at a time. Use hi gloss paint- easier for cleaning later.

What you are doing is one of the best maintenance items there is.  The engine 'appreciates' it- it really reduces the concept of needing 'luck' in running an engine! This is also great for gaining familarity and doing a thourgh inspection for possible leaks and other issues like loose things. Nothing is better then a clean, painted surface to show possible issues quickly. EX: around the shifter assembly for leaking 'o' rings, heat exchanger end caps, valve cover gaskets, dust from wearing belts, rusting mounts, starter exposure to water, electrical connections.

At the end, I always check distributor wires, spark plug connections and other ignition wiring when finished. There a tendency for things to come loose.

Once the engine starts and runs well, I do one last thing: grab hold of the main engine connector and move it around a bit to be sure she still runs smooth (primary idnition runs thu it) and cabin electricals are ok  (disconnected from shore power).

all the best! Roy (Diver)

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 15 2012 at 23:15 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Ruff C's, don't forget to prime bare metal before top coating. I am also in a salt water environment, S.E Florida, and it is a never ending battle against the elements. Try a good high zinc primer, maybe even zinc chromate. A little more $$. I then use a good engine enamel from an automotive store. Or Tempo makes engine enamel, West marine sells it.

JimHH, another relaxing Sunday behind the sandbar, little windy, but better than tied to the dock. Gas prices killing any thoughts of fishing offshore. Hope all is well. Bonnie says hi! H.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 15 2012 at 23:26 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

P.S.! Capt. Mark, I boated in New Jersey, Delaware and the Chesapeake bay before moving to S.E Florida. April was splash time and October was haulout time in a normal year. I know your season is shorter. I NEVER forget what it was like to haul out at the end of the season. How sad it made me, knowing that my boat would be soon covered with snow.

Then I got smart and moved to Florida. Screw the huricanes, I want sunshine!!

Come on down! We need more Chris Crafts down here!

Nite, All H.

RUFF C's
"Seaman"

Posted: April 15 2012 at 23:46 | IP Logged Quote RUFF C's

Thanks Capt H and Diver, I appreciate the comments and advice. I
pulled one of the exhaust manifold and riser on the port engine, what a
job! Took me 4hrs...... Hope the other side comes off easier. Night
all.

Back to Top Printable version View RUFF C's's Profile Search for other posts by RUFF C's

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 16 2012 at 14:30 | IP Logged Quote Berg

I got some good news guys, I found a take-out Crusader 270hp 350 Chevy which is a step up from my tired 305K. It is a complete engine with trans, manifolds, new risers, and FWC system. It is a 1997 and pulled for a diesel repower. Looks to be a super clean engine and I should be picking up Wednesday, maybe sooner if all goes well! I have been itching to get my boat together and I think at this point it may help me keep my sanity. I just need a chance to take a ride out west on the island to pick it up!

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 16 2012 at 14:34 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Also if anyone is looking for a Borg-Warner Velvet Drive 10-17   012 I'm getting a transmission attatched to this engine. It is a 2.57:1 reduction unit. What do you guys think a fair asking price is for a used Trans with 1100 hours on it? I was thinking about asking $500. Does that sound ballpark? I know if I need one they usually cost about that. I'm not good with selling things, i'm a horrible salesman-especially on an item i never personally used. 

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: April 16 2012 at 23:12 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, y'all. Ruff, why so long to remove 1 side?? Sad to say, but I've removed Mystic Divers heat exchanger and right and left manifolds and risers in less time. Mind you, I've owned this boat (wife says $$ pit) for 23 years. I have extensive experiance in taking rusty parts apart and puting them back together.

One word of advice: use stainless nuts bolts and washers to re-install and perma-tex anti sieze is a must. Have fun!

Berg, you may have to re-prop with the larger engine for max performance. My 251 had a 305 that maxed out about 4000 rpm. My guess that 350 will max out near 5000 with the prop you now have. Just thinkin' out loud! Nite, All. H.

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 17 2012 at 10:44 | IP Logged Quote Berg

I hear you on the prop but I was hitting 4400 rpm if I ran it up and still moving along at around 28-32 mph on GPS. My cruising range is much slower at only about 3000-3,200 rpm  and my theory is I have a spare prop if I want to play with getting it cupped or anything in the future. I'd like to run it and see where it is at and most likely I will stick with what I have for now. I don't like to push it at all, but I do like having power on demand. I figure if it is overbuilt it doesn't have to work as hard therefore less working load on the engine. I would still like to build up a big-cube small block chevy based off a Bill Mitchell block with some world heads one of these days 

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: April 17 2012 at 11:32 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Capt H...Cape Coral homes rent pretty cheap....a ton more space than a hotel for less $$.  The 4bed, 3 bath waterfront pool home in season averages $200 a night, in July we are getting it for $100 a night.  Perfect for a family of 5.

Quote: Berg

Berg, My FD was there too but I couldnt respond as I was in FL...wish I could have been there to help.  Which FD lost their brush truck?

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: April 17 2012 at 13:53 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Manorville lost their newest GI. It was a Chivvis truck that my department actually looked at when we spec'd a new truck VS.  refit of one of our current trucks. What a shame to lose it. We are actually back in there right now, this time on the south side of the expressway by North St. with a few other Mutual Aid departments

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

turbootter
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: April 17 2012 at 15:50 | IP Logged Quote turbootter

My boat is finally being delivered next Tuesday! I was wondering, is it customary to tip the driver?

350 Catalina Double Cabin
turbootter@hotmail.com
Back to Top Printable version View turbootter's Profile Search for other posts by turbootter

]
] ]
191 Pages « 185 186 187 188 189 190 191

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version