View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: March 16 2012 at 16:07 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

I have never used zincs in Superior, never any problems either.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
http://www.superiordaycruises.com
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: March 17 2012 at 15:53 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

My Boat use to be the zinc monster  ! I had to change my zincs all the time. I rebonded everything all new wires and etc. Once I moved up north to the stuart area from Fort Lauderdale the problem is a lot better. I did my zincs in Aug I am pulling her in 2 weeks I wonder how they would look or if they are even there. I was told a boat close by could have an issue so thats why I went though zincs so quick. I do leave my boat plugged in .

Have a great weekend caps

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 17 2012 at 19:40 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Capt'n BERG:   Did you get your CC in the driveway??

Captains:  Fuel Tank UPDATE:

Not going to cut the deck.   Removing through the Salon.  Since the Port engine is removed, I have decided to to do some extra work, and take-down the plywood "bulkhead" partition, separating the tank and engine areas.  Photos of CURRENT phase, below. 

Note the Tank is still in the bilge, because I am taking a break.  HEAVY TANK, although empty.  WHEW!!

Dan    (Fly Bridge)

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: March 18 2012 at 01:57 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Ahoy all,

The idea behind zincs is that the salt in saltwater is an electrical conductor. This electrical current can flow from a remote electrical source, typacally 'leakage' from AC current of a neighboring boat's worn shorepower circuit. Even an old shorepower cable inadvertently submergerd in saltwater on its way to the shorepower recepticle can be enough to set up this current flow and the attendent electrolysis affect. If there were no AC power in saltwater marinas, there would be no need for zincs. Alas, such is not the case of course. TV, cabin heaters, hot water and refrigeration are to too enjoyable to give up. The women folk would just not stand for it! 

Captn Heavy makes an excellent point on the effectivness of shaft contact brushes on vessels. Coupling electrical current from nearby saltwater through a boats running gear via these 'brushes' to an on-board grounding system is an important feature. Sadly, this feature is missing on our Cats.

Fly Bridge,

Wow! who knew? You're making good progress on your tank project. Well done! 

It may be productive to point out that as great as the internet medium is, the technology has limitations. It is often said that there are situations where EMail just doesn't say it. It is perhaps good to remind oneself that there is no substitute for 'being there'. True situational, three dimentional thinking is near impossible online. That said, it is infanately better than not having the medium at all. The awarness of this limitation is a powerful tool for more effective use of the medium. 

On Lorelei's replacment starter project: Keep in mind that OEM starters from Delco are no longer manufactured, meaning hang onto your old, worn, rusting starters and have them rebuilt. There are 'new' replacment starters out there, typically made offshore. It's not their fault, but they are just not of the quality of US manufacturers like Delco. Copper is just too expensive these days for quality components so important for marine application. Another interesting detail: the short duty-cycle requirment of starters eliminate the need for bearings- bushings are used- I didn't know that.

As usual, great subjects on the thread!

best, Roy  

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: March 18 2012 at 23:04 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hello,All.  When it comes time to replace that starter or alternator, try to find a good place to have it re-built. Ask aound the marina. Most of the time boaters will tell you  who did it right and who screwed up. I have a few guy's I can trust and I am very willing to send other people to them. Nite, All, Capt H.

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 18 2012 at 23:30 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Quote: Mike-SeaGar Lounge

JimInFla
- Thanks... In the head I used granite on the
countertop and the ledge above.... 12" Glass tile was used
in between.

24_083316_IMAG0192REV.jpg">

I used the same glass tile in the galley.

24_083423_IMAG0194.jpg">

And the backboards to the dinette were just
painted using two coats of Behr Semi-gloss exterior
ENAMEL... NOT waterbase paint

24_083529_IMAG0329REV.jpg">

Mike,

Couple questions:

When you painted the back of the dinette, did you remove
the laminate, or just paint over?

Where did you find the sink for your head? I discovered
this weekend that the countertop in my head was totally
delaminated and the only thing holding it together was
gravity. So out it came. I'm going to use laminate for my
countertops to save on weight and cost (although love your
granite!). I have already cut the play for the countertop
and need to find a nice sink and faucet for in there.

I guess the galley is next... Although I still can't stand the
damn headliner!

Thanks!

Jim

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 14:36 | IP Logged Quote Berg

I still got it at the other house. It didn't fit up the driveway. I just heard back from the town today after lunch. It turns out the widest slip they have is 8'6" up the north end and they have one that is just shy of 9' at the south end. They said I don't get a choice between north or south (north is inland and more protected-also in brackish water) so I'm hoping it doesn't fit in the south slip and I hold it off for another year. Worst case scenario is I'm off the list and have to get reassigned and wait another 3-5 years or so for a slip to come up. I'm working on keeping it at a friends place but nobody really has room

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY
Back to Top Printable version View Berg's Profile Search for other posts by Berg

smile n wave
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 17:27 | IP Logged Quote smile n wave

Diver, I respectfully disagree with your assumption that w/o AC would be no need for zincs.  Salt is the electrolyte and 2 dissimilar metals such as stainless prop shaft and bronze rudder create a crude battery automatically.  The effect is less in fresh water.  Read a good excerpt from a West marine advisor  - here is link if care to read

http://www.sailmail.com/grounds.htm 

Have two problemns going on - one is leaking AC as you state but apparently a more common problem is leaking DC.  Could even make the case not to bond items together since leaking DC could actually travel in via an intake and out via a thru hull for example creating far worse electrolysis.  The zinc as I understyand it is to help protect aginast both galvanic corrosion and electrolysis by sacrificing itself.  Magnesium is the preferred potential metal in fresh water and can order jsut like zincs.

So still have 2 questions:

Capt H, where does one find tihs copper bonding strip?  Have seen no such lookikng thing in smile.

Capt Mark, you do not have ANY zincs on Rob Roy?  Do you stay plugged in?

I am leaning toward putting the zincs on the prop shaft, rudder and trim tabs and calling good.  that is IF we put it in the water which is moving back toward a no for the season.

Thanks all, Brad

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 24 2013 at 17:46

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 18:13 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Capt'n Berg:    Before Capt'n  Nauti Cat sold his CC, I offered him a temporary  storage space for his CC in my backyard.   Of course the distance to my house is a long trip, and gasoline to trailer here in Florida is costly.

Although your present finances may be strained, I offer you the same, as I did Nauti Cat.  I know the time involve in time-off your job may not allow towing your CC here.  Plus the 1,00 mile distance and money, is a barrierm you to bring your CC here.  But my backyard is yours, if you can get your CC here.  If I had a truck and trailer, I would pull it down here myself.

It will be fit infront of mine.  My sideyard entrance is wide enough to get my 12' 5" Beam through to the backyard.  Your CC will fit.  Beam width not a problem, but  a 25' to 29' length is JUST enough to fit, with mine already there.

If you want to view my house and yard, Google Earth, on Street View, and you can see the lay-out.  By the way, the wood chips in my driveway are GONE now!! 

Ideally, it would be best, you can find a storage near you, but if needed, you are welcome to my offer.  I really don't want to see you possibly selling your CC.  My best, Kevin.

Dan    (Fly Bridge)

1139 Brightwell Drive  Holiday, Florida 34690        (727) 804-7485

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 19 2012 at 18:18

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 20:04 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

CAPTAINS:    Fuel Tank....IS OUT!!   WHEW!!!!

6 Photos are Posted in the next 6 Posts.

I fell into the bildge, at one -point.  No serious injury.   Slipped and stepped into open hatch, tank come in WITH me.  Left shoulder hurts where tank hit me, but no injury, that I can't handle.  I guess the tank didn't want to leave it's "Berth" in the bilge!!!!

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 19 2012 at 20:32

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 20:06 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Photo #2      Come to Daddy!!

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 19 2012 at 20:19

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 20:08 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Photo #3    Out the door!!

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 19 2012 at 20:18

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 20:16 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Photo #4     Attention on Deck!!   Tank detail to the Fantail, on the double!!  

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 19 2012 at 20:21

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 20:25 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Photo #5     Tank OVERBOARD!!!!     Tank Detail....DISMISSED!!!!

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 20:30 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Photo #6     Tank is a Goner!!   There are 2 Holes. The big -one is where the Fuel Fill WAS.  The small one in the middle, is where a Hatch-Leak let water onto the top of tank.

venny
"Seaman"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 20:48 | IP Logged Quote venny

smile n wave im with u about zincs placement,they last the season on mooring ; at the slip u got to check more often

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 20:50 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Brad, no zincs and I stay plug in.  No problems.  I was always under the assumption that fresh water is not a problem with electrolsis

FLY BRIDGER!!!!! WAY TO GO MAN!!!!! AWESOME!!!

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 22:04 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Dan, great account of the tank removal.  yeah...I'd say it was juuuuuust about due to be changed.  WOW! amazing rust!

On My Way, I did not have trim tabs and had the shaft zincs and one large disk zinc on the rudder.  Never had any issues.  When I first looked at her, the bronze/nibral prop was in pretty bad shape and partially eaten away by electrolysis and there were no zincs onthe shaft and the one on the rudder had deep holes in it, which is a sign of high levels of electrolysis, the zincs should wear out evenly with small dimples, not deep holes as if it was attacked by a drill bit.  Originally she was a fresh water vessel up the Hudson river and the last owner jsut didnt install any.  The SS shaft was perfect and that previous owner put a new prop on her, no charge to me.

photo from 2007:

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 22:33 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Nice going Dan !!!!!!!!!!!! Strb motor looks new nice get her in the water

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: March 19 2012 at 23:21 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang.  Smile, my bonding strips run along the stringers fore and aft from the bow to the stern, and port and starboard, attached to each engine block via a brass stud under the exaust manifold. The negative battery cables are also attached to the same stud. The bonding strips are simply 1/2" strips of copper that are connected to all thru hull fittings, fuel tanks and engines. Being in fresh water, I think what you plan as far as zincs will be suffecient.

Also, be aware that boats that are docked nearby may be "leaking" A/C or D/C and the wiring on the dock can also be the culprit. So many variables. Just be glad you are not in salt water. Hope this helps. Nite, all, H.

Edited by Capt. Heavy on March 19 2012 at 23:22

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 20 2012 at 00:20 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Captains ALL:

First, I want to thank all you guys, for the nice words albeit, my SLOW activity to remove the fuel tank.  I know it has taken much time, but tank is FINALLY removed!!

The kind words you all said to me, is greatly appreciated!!  And importantly, the encouragement, you freely gave to me!!

Here is something to think about.  I only ran the CC about 300 yards, the first and only time I took Her out.  Since then it was only in the water for a few months, before She  was placed in my backyard. 

What you all was not aware of, and me, UNTIL I found the gob of rust laying on top of the fuel tank, HAD BEEN THERE, ....ALL THE TIME....WHEN THE P.O. WAS OPERATING... THE CC!!!!  WHOAH!!!!

Both engines are a 2006 Mercruiser 5.7 (350)  MPI,  Horizon.   I am going to re-build the Port engine, using the same Block.  No saltwater damage found.  Not even enough wear to cause a "Ridge line", at the Top of Block.

My feeling of having "Bad Gas" is realized.  I KNEW there was Bad Gas, in the removed Port tank.  And figured Starboard tank also had Bad Gas also.  The Starboard engine had a "Popping" the first and only time, after I removed the bad impeller.  I fired-up the Starboard for a 10-15 seconds, to let a long-time friend hear the engine.  I  immediately shut-down.  My friend said it was bad gas.  And I need to drain the old gas, and re-fire engine with a mixture of Injector cleaner and fresh gas.   I'll do that when I can.  So what this means is, I'll have to remove the old gas, and tank, then inspect tank  to be  seaworthy.   Tough call, but it HAS to be done. Since I have already have used the Salon, as a "Pathway" to remove the Port tank, it makes sense to remove the Starboard tank, the same way.  At least, I'll have LOTS of ROOM to clean and paint, EVERYTHING in the Bilge!!  Let's see.  BOTH tanks, and plus one engine removed, gives me..... ROOM!!     

Again, my utmost hearty thank you, to you fellows that have given me your kind words, and encouragement!!    The DECK, is ...INTACT!!

Dan   (Fly Bridge).

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 20 2012 at 01:22

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: March 20 2012 at 05:04 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Dan, I'd lay money that the SB tank isn't much better off.  Even if the rust is thru, that old metal tank is sure to have gobs of stuff floating around in it.  The wise and prudent thing to do here is replace both.  Make absolutely sure of the motor as well.  Now is the time to do all fo this.  You should verify the integrity of your stringers too. Mine were rotten in spots and I had to cut them out and splice in some good timber.  Fix it right so when you launch you can enjoy the sea and not have to worry about anymore repairs.  GREAT JOB SO FAR!! 

Here in Northern WI we have had unseasonably warm weather.  It's been in the mid to high 70's since last week.  This is really unheard of.  Everything has melted and thawed.  I pulled the Rob Roy out last week and started some projects.  Went to  turn on the music and nothing.  Stero turn to jucnk over the winter.  Water go in here and the circut board oxidized.  Damn!.

I also am redoing on the bright work.  Looks great.  I'll post some photos a bit later.  I gotta say boating here in fresh water sure has me spoiled.  I don't have to worry about so many of the things that you salties deal with. 

Edited by Captain Mark on March 20 2012 at 05:15

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 20 2012 at 08:53 | IP Logged Quote Berg

I see you guys are on the subject of fuel tanks and zincs a good amount. It is true that a boat next to you or even a few boats down could contribute to YOUR electrolysis. My grandfathers boat had sat half a season in the water with the batteries out of it and not being plugged in. It had the same amount eaten off the zincs that it would have if it were plugged in with batteries in it. The military uses a reverse charge on its ships in mothballs to prevent corrosion. It seems to work out pretty well for them since they have some WWII era ships still floating! Ultimately maintenance is the way to keep it away. I'm sure a bunch of us have looked at boats for sale and saw outdrives half-eaten off the transom of a boat or have seen exhaust elbows eaten up.
Fly Bridge- You are doing a great job! Don't skimp out now since you got it this far along, you won't regret the peace of mind having fresh fuel tanks and clean lines with new water separators. You are moving along at a decent pace I might add too. I'm going to have to live vicariously through you since I cannot do much with mine again this year. I was up on it yesterday and worked the steering and shift/throttle cables to make sure everything was OK. I noticed my battery cable terminals have heavy corrosion on them so new cables will be in order before the boat hits the water. I'm debating on changing the intake ball valve and south bay strainer also.
I took a ride on a friends 22' Baja on Sunday from the north shore of the island to Shinnecock bay through the locks. It was a nice ride and a happy reward for assembling and installing his Mercruiser Alpha 1. He went with a SEI aftermarket drive. It was half the cost of an OE replacement so lets see how it will hold up with 300hp. It is right about at its operating limit. I noticed the quality of the paint isn't nearly as good as the real deal right away. I was also taken back by the fact that both the upper and lower units came with NO hardware. I guess they had to save money somewhere...

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY
Back to Top Printable version View Berg's Profile Search for other posts by Berg

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:28 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

CAPT FLYBRIDGE YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO US ALLI SALUTE YOU BUDDY!!I AM GOING TO TAKE THE SAME PATH YOU ARE ON SOMETIME IN APRIL--AND HOPEFULLY MY FUEL TANK WILL COME OUT AS EASILY---- FOR THE ZINC GUYS ZINCS ARE A TIME CHANGE ITEM AND YES THEY MAKE THEM FOR PROP SHAFTS THEY ARE TWO HALVES AND SCREW TOGETHER SOME CALL THEM "SACRIFCIAL ANODES"  

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:52 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Hell, I'm still drooling over Capt. Mark with the rub rails and spraying the stripe and then there is Nauti with the whole cabin window project! I think I need to just watch you guys work on stuff and pretend i did it! it would be a lot cheaper! I think I found a hobby I could actually afford

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:06 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Here is the Shinnecock locks. I resized it so it may have come out kind of funny

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:20 | IP Logged Quote Berg

I found a RH rotation 1997 Crusader FWC 270hp rating complete with manifolds, risers, etc with the transmission. I'm thinking of picking it up since it is supposedly low hours and has all new manifolds and risers done at the end of the 2010 season. It has a velvet drive with a reduction box so i'm thinking I could sell it and get some of my money back and stick with my 1:1. I'll stick the 305K and other stuff in the garage if I swap this in. It really has me thinking...

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 20 2012 at 14:07 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Captains:  

Removing ALL the Port engine bolt-on accessories, from the Bilge today.   All 5 batteries coming out also.  What a mess, the Bilge is in!!  

Part-time job at marine canvas shop, is still not producing but a $100 in a 2 -3 week period as income.   He DOES pay for the gasoline for my car.   Canvas jobs are slow coming in.  Economy is in the dumper, as we all know.  Can't wait until NOVEMBER ELECTION!

Boss gets his drivers license back on April 3!!  He still wants to me work for him.   I am driving him around, and watching how things are done to make the Bimini's,  and full covers on small boats.   My  shop work is, taking staples out of cushions, etc. 

One thing I learned is, STAINLESS steel is used in all SNAPS: Screws: ans STAPLES!!  The HEADLINER, should, or rather MUST, have STAINLESS STAPLES, and MUST use a AIR-GUN STAPLER.  Boss told me an Standard Electric  Stapler, may not have "Umph" to insert staples.  I GUESS a ROOFER Stapler would work!!  Wonder what they would $$cost$$ ?

All for now.  Dan    (Fly Bridge) 

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 20 2012 at 17:29

Swallowtail
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: March 20 2012 at 15:26 | IP Logged Quote Swallowtail

Dan (Fly Bridge)

That was a very neat solution to your problem. I am looking forward to you getting her back together again, and I suspect you are planning that with the same degree of care.

Over here in the UK it is only in the last few months I have realised how bad things were for the economy in the US and it has come as a bit of a shock. Here things do look on the up at last, so I hope things will get better for you.

Ian

Back to Top Printable version View Swallowtail's Profile Search for other posts by Swallowtail

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: March 20 2012 at 16:07 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Dan, hang in there man!  You're living the life and a big break for you is in the wind, I feel it. 

78 here today. UNREAL!!!  Some of my yacht club members are launching on Friday.  IMAGE THAT!!!

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 20 2012 at 17:00 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Ian   (Capt'n   Swallowtail):

Yes, planning to put Her back together, with same diligent care.

My CC is pictured (3 photo's)  below, for purpose of ID from Cat 251 and other configurations.

The ONLY way to remove my fuel tank (Port and Strbd.) THRU the SALON, is IF one of the engines are removed FIRST.

Alternative methods are:

A. Cut the tank into pieces, remove thru the Hatch.  And insert smaller tanks (s).  My CC has 2 tanks, of 100 gallons Capacity each, located in Aft section, and behind engines and 2 feet Forward of Rudder (s).   Both engines are located inside and below, the enclosed Salon.  When CC was in water, the  Merc. 5.7 MPI, Horizon, engines were not as loud sounding, as I thought they would be!! 

B.   Cut the Deck  above the tanks, and construct a "Semi-Permanent" Hatch, coupled with the existing Hatch.

The USA economy is really screwed-up, no thanks to our elected Government Officials!!  I won't place a name on 1 of them, but you should be able to figure-out WHO, that is!!   All I want, is 5 minutes with (censored)  and I'll be a "Happy Camper"!!

The Fly Bridge is removed, in these 3 photos.

Edited by Fly Bridge on March 20 2012 at 17:17

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: March 20 2012 at 17:04 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

(CONTINUED)  Photo # 3   Dan   (Fly Bridge)

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: March 20 2012 at 19:53 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Fly Bridge,

Coupla thoughts occur-

Thought one: (check this with with those in the know): My hypothosis is that  firing (briefly) the engine won't damage it if:

1) The manifold water jacket and wet exhaust lines don't get too hot- whatever 'too hot' might mean- probobly the softening point for the fiberglass and rubber components  or maybe uncouple the exhaust?). 

2) uncouple the raw water pump belt so you save the impellor.

3) clearing the carborator 's float area and all the approaches seems to be the goal. Clearing the fuel lines up and downstream of the fuel pump may be accomplished by either removing the fuel line ends and blowing out with compressed air or , if the fuel lines are in poor condition- replacing with a temperary feed system or fuel line replacment. Purging old and possibly priming with new gas before firing the engine may shorten the length of time the engine needs to be running.

Thought #2:

How about converting to a single engine? 

The pros and cons would fill a page or three, but the thought might stimulate some creative thinking. Considering where the price of gas is going....

She's really is a pretty boat...that classic CC line! We are lucky water people to know these boats!

Swallowtail,

I really enjoyed the maritime clips and the links to  the many varied subjects that cropped up. Very interesting, very entertaining!

I'm still on the fence as to wether mankind will survive all this. George Carlin (an American dark comedian) in his book"Thought Droppings" stated he quietly roots for man's destruction...

Finely, A quote came to mind while viewing somw of that stuff:

"The only differance between genius and stupidity is that genius is limited"

Anyway, thanks for the great post.

Best, Roy

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 21 2012 at 08:57 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Fly BridgeI think running off of a small can after blowing the lines out would be a good idea. If you really wanted to, you could get about a minute run-time by getting a hose barb fitting or a small piece of line (I believe either 3/8 or 5/16) and put a rubber fuel hose on it with a tiny funnel in the end. It will gravity feed if you hold it straight up and run for a minute. If you want to take it one step further, you can hook up a small gas can before the fuel pump. I'd blow the lines out and hook up the small can where the line would meet the factory tank. I ran my boat like that because it sat for 4 years before I got it. I used an electric fuel pump to completely empty the fuel tank and fill it with fresh stuff with a new separator/filter. I filled the float bowl on the carburetor and then it fired and kept running after pulling fuel through the line the second time i tried it. I used my small 3 gallon kicker outboard tank to run the engine the first time I fired it. I was just trying to eliminate possibilities of problems. I knew at that point that it was all in working order. I had filled the tank and used an ethanol treatment when I did it. I know nobody wants to hear this with gas prices the way they are but the higher the octane rating is, the longer the fuel lasts for. It also lasts longer when it is sealed up and not vented. Of course we know fuel expands and contracts with temperature so it may not be the best thing to do if you have a large amount of fuel and/or a big temperature change. Sorry for the long-winded response. I really should write a book.

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 21 2012 at 09:17 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Diver-  I wouldn't waste the time and effort converting to a single screw on a boat like that. Just the size of it. He'd have to run a big single diesel to get that boat to do anything and redesign the stringers to support it. In a case like this you are better off rebuilding the second engine. The boat would be severely underpowered if he stuck with a single small block Chevy and my guess is the boat would probably never get on plane. Cruising speed should not exceed 75%-85% WOT (wide open throttle) and it would be under a heavy strain. It would probably suffer from overheating problems also. On the plus side look at all that under deck storage!!! I didn't even mention the shafts, rudders, struts, propellers and getting the alignment angles set right... I think in a case like this the Cons far outweigh the Pros. I do like getting involved with projects but I'd mush rather spend someone else's money. I have always wanted to build a custom tug/work boat with a single Detroit Diesel and a keel cooler and dry exhaust to run all year long

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: March 21 2012 at 12:06 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

if....I still had my Catalina 280, the single-screw gas motor needed to be replaced and money was no object, I always wanted to convert to a Volvo D4-300 diesel.  The length of the motor was similar to the sb V8 and can be packaged with a new BW tranny.  With professional installation I'd have been  looking at a about a $30-35k bill.  That and a complete gelcoat restoration, bow and stern thrusters for the ultimate in manuverability I would have had a sweet yacht. 

someday...

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 21 2012 at 12:20 | IP Logged Quote Berg

Nauti- I'd be docked next to you with mine all redone too! I'd also have a nice little 23' Lancer with a straight inboard in it too!

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

Berg
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 21 2012 at 12:33 | IP Logged Quote Berg

In all actuality I'd probably go with one of these bad boys. it is the Crusader Classic series Carb'd 5.7 putting out 315 hp and comes complete with everything I need. i'd just re-use the Chris craft mounts to keep it all lined up nice. New, reliable power for under 10 grand!

Eastern Suffolk County
Long Island, NY

smile n wave
"Deckhand"

Posted: March 21 2012 at 14:38 | IP Logged Quote smile n wave

Capt Mark, spoke to marina in sturgeon bay last week who had a 60' sunseeker come in and dock - came all the way from Cleveland via water.  Talk about early but I hope it keeps up!  If it does I wil likely get the pontoon in month ahead of normal.

Nauti, sounds like you have researched a complete redo.  Have often thought down the road would be worht looking into one of the yards up here that do major refit and see what would cost for repower, rewire, replumb, complete cosemtics, etc.  Have a dream of doing the loop someday and the 280 would be about right size - not too big not too small.

Brad

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: March 21 2012 at 21:50 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Smile n Wave-

Thank you for your thoughtful response. The back and forth, give and take of the Forum is its life's blood. We have varable conditions when it comes to stray current at South Beach Harbor- lot of boats coming and going. The only way we can stay on top of it is with our diver, Brian who cleans the hull and monitors the rate of zinc deteriation every 4 months. We've been lucky for the last couple of years. Before that- hi zinc usage- never found out what neightbor (or even if) caused the issue. However, I lay bets it was a boat somewhere in the vacinity. It is frustrating. In a diverse city like SF, there are quite a few - dare I say irresponsible nuts in the harbor- including our beloved piece-of-work idiot neighbor who shares our double slip. Parted dock lines, collisions, falling in the water (with his cell phone...twice) the litiney goes on and on. ho boy... He's a nice guy, just sorta ...prone, ya know?.

Who's that kid in Peanuts with the cloud over his head all the time? 

Berg, Ben-

I guess one of the points of going with a single is to essentially redifine the boats use.  She would never plane again...intentionally. She would become a lamb in tigers; clothing so-to-speak... more a trawler and be lookin good doin it!  If the intent is fishing offshore or the ability to cover distance that is in the equation, then speed is the need. If however, the intent is cruising locally or of a social bent- or even liveaboard, perhaps that thought should be thrown into the mix too. There was a facinating article in Passagmaker Magazine where people found it fasionable to live on the water in  purpose built 'Mega Yachts' that are purpose built with no engines. Guess perception is still everything sometimes.  This is notwithstanding the complexity of such a project and perhaps running doubles in a alternating stratagy might be the ticket to economic bliss. I'm a go slow, watch-the-world-go-by kinda guy so I suppose that's why the thought occured.  When it comes to propulsion, I submit that intended use is the name of the game.  At this planning stage of your project. all consideration are on the table. You could get published in the Marine Mags with this sort of thing. Dare I say get funding?

nite all, Roy      

]
] ]
191 Pages « 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version