View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: January 31 2012 at 20:42 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Dan, is there a platform that the ful tanks sit on or is it a craddle?  Is there any thing under the tanks that can be removed so you can tip the tanks on end? 

What are the stringers you are referring to?  Are they deck supports?

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
http://www.superiordaycruises.com
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: January 31 2012 at 20:48 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Capt'n Mark:  Both  tanks sit in a CRADLE.  TWO  over-size 2x4's shaped to prevent roll.  bottom of tanks is below boards. very secure.

Stringers, are DECK supports.

Dan

Edited by Fly Bridge on January 31 2012 at 20:49

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: January 31 2012 at 20:52 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: January 31 2012 at 21:00 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Dan,

Have you located replacemnet tanks?  Is it possible to cut the old tanks to remove them and replace them with after market fuel cells that can fit throuhg the existing hatches?  If you start cutting the latteral supports on your deck, you'll probably need to put a vertical brace in olace.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: January 31 2012 at 21:04 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Both tanks are same same (100 gal.)  60 inches long x 24 inches diameter.   I measured to provide 25 inches opening for tanks.  the inboard to outbourd Cut: on either side of HATCH is, 21 inches.  Not sure if this will EXCATLY provide sufficent room to "tilt" tank or not yet.  Trying to NOT cut the Outboard deck stringer, if I don't have to.

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: January 31 2012 at 21:08 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Dan,

I'm not following your description of the measurements. 

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: January 31 2012 at 21:08 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

No, have not found replacement tank(s) MIGHT be able to salvage old, but probably better to replace.  new metal tanks will have be custom made, so will be expensive, no doubt, 

Yes I thought about lateral braces.  Could glass-in new boards also.  The Aft hatch would be larger.

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: January 31 2012 at 21:10 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Dan,

The replacement tanks should be aluminum.  I would look at every possible way to get those old tanks out without cutting the deck.  You don't want to do that.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: January 31 2012 at 21:13 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Dan,

Does anyone on the Commander site have any advice?

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: January 31 2012 at 21:14 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

The CUT, will enlarge the Aft hatch by 21 inches on both sides. Original Hatch is 36 inches beam to beam (across). 

Tank is 60 inches long by 24 inches diameter. 

the BLACK LINES denote "CUT" I would make to enlarge Aft hatch.     The CUT would also extend half-way between existing hatches.

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: January 31 2012 at 21:19 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

looked there, and elsewhere.  Seems there is only two methods.  Cut tanks into pieces, or cut deck.  Replacement tanks would have to be several smaller tanks, with fuel cross-over to connect each tank  together.

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: January 31 2012 at 22:06 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Did some "photoshop" on a photo.  placed measurements into photo.  Dan

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: January 31 2012 at 22:59 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Dan,

Interesting....

How about cutting that decking between those fore and aft hatches to create a 'middle' semi permenent hatch? You would not need to cut any fore/aft beams and this would open up the entire deck area. 

The Port/starboard beams (with decking attached) could be modified to continue their load bearing function. This one piece assembly would become load-bearing-but-remova ble semi perminant hatch. Perhaps using alunimum or steel 'L'  or 'U' extrusions with aligned holes thru all pieces using nuts/bolts? This would serve to 'lock' the abrift beams together when reassembled. It would also provide support surfacesfor the existing fore/aft hatches.  Also, these metal links pieces should eliminate 'sag'. You might be able to install verticle supports metal 'shoes'  using the hull stringers as footings. Be sure the stringes there are strong enough for downward force or are reinforced to become sufficiently load bearing.  

Question is: Will the idea provide enough space to pull out both old tanks and install replacments?

In any case, I agree with Mark. replacment with Alunimum tankage is the way to go.

This, in some form or other---is doable. 

best, Roy    

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 08:13 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Dan,

I agree with Roy.  To cut away the original hatch hole would be a nightmare.  Remove the section between the hatches with the idea that you will re-install it in a way that it will function as it did prior to cutting. 

I would still eliminate all possible ways to extrude those tanks without carving up your deck.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 09:19 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

What about a flexible tank... like they use in helicopters?
Puncture proof, flexible...

Just a thought.

Jim

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 10:10 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Hi All,

Need your help with my cockpit stairs.

They look just like these:
http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=25122

I measured mine. They are 17" tall, from deck to latch. If
you measure the actual outside rails, they are 20".

Here's the problem...

I contacted Garelick. They told me the smallest that they
make (or have ever made) is 22". Now, I don't really want
to have to re-do the latches and drill more holes in the boat
(which means more I have to patch). Can one of your guys
tell me if you have the same steps and what sizes yours
are? Maybe 22" would work and mine are just some
aftermarket crap? Maybe they shrunk over the years -
LOL? Maybe the angle of them has been bent? Maybe I am
crazy?

Any and all help would be appreciated!!!

Jim

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 10:18 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

JIM IN FLA WE NEED A PICTURE BUDDY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE STEPS TO THE CABIN??

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 10:31 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

FLY BRIDGE --CUT ONLY THE SECTION BETWEEN THE TWO HATCHES THE TANK SHOULD COME OUT OF THE ENLARGED HOLE-- IF YOU HAVE TO-- CUT THE AFT PORTION OF THE AFT HATCH-- BUT ONLY AS MUCH AS IS NEEDED TO GET THE TANK OUT--MAKE THE CUTS AS PRECISE AS YOU CAN AND WITH THE THINNEST BLADE YOU CAN FIND THAT WAY THE REPAIR WILL BE EASIER-INSTALL SUPPORT STRINGERS THAT OVERLAP THE CUTS SO THAT THEY GIVE STRENGTH TO BOTH SIDES OF THE CUTS AND THE GUYS ARE RIGHT USE NEW ALUMINUM TANKS THEY WILL HAVE TO BE MADE BY A CERTIFIED TANK BUILDER AND WILL REQUIRE THE BUILDERS STAMP WELDED INTO THE SURFACE OF THE METAL AS WELL AS PRESSURE CHECKED TO STANDARDS OF THE INDUSTRY THIS IS MANDANTORY FOR ALL FUEL TANKS INSTALLED BELOW DECKS  AND YES THEY WON'T BE CHEAP BUT MORE THAN LIKELY WILL OUT LAST ALL OF US

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 10:33 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Captains:  Mark:  Roy, and Jim.

Appreciate you input.  I don't want to cut the deck either. 

I researched  greatly online.  I even seen a video showing a large boat with 300 gall fuel tank, having the BOTTOM of boat being cut, to "Drop" the fuel tank to remove from the boat.  Believe it when I say, It hurt even me!!  

A  Forward to Aft  cut could work, and not cutting the two inboard deck stringers.   But cutting the "middle" between the two existing hatches,  I fear the  clearence is tight because tanks "split" the hatch opening centerline.  Tanks measure 24 inches in diameter, and hatch opening is 36 inches. Keel Stringers prevent tank from dropping lower.  The tank to be removed MUST "Swing" Fore to Aft, and lay angled somewhat.   Without futher study, I would hate to cut, then find out it ALMOST comes out, but doesn't.   A  Beam to Beam Hatch opening will  more easily allow present and future tank removal.  But requires cutting the two inboard Deck support Stringers.

I do NOT understand why boat manufactors "BURY" fuel tanks, with NO ACCESS for removal!!   That's like burying engines with no access.  Just doesn't make sense to me.  On this CC, a larger hatch beam to beam COULD have been designed into the CC, at time of build.  But they didn't!!

I'm not going to make any rash moves.  Still thinking.  No doubt the Strbd. tank will eventually  require removal .  So keeping that in mind, I want to make sure whatever is done now, will insure there is no repeat of this problem now.

All in all, tank removal cannot proceed, until  satisfied the right decision is made.  I DO appreciate all the thoughtful help, and information.  Will keep you all posted.  I will take my time to think this through, so it will be some time before I post something definite.  If you guys have any other ideas, let me know!! 

Dan   (Fly Bridge)

Edited by Fly Bridge on February 01 2012 at 10:44

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 10:33 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

ANOTHER THOUGHT IS TO LEAVE THE TANKS IN AND INSTALL BLADDERS IN THEM THEY WOULD COLLAPSE AS THE FUEL IS USED UP-MUCH LIKE AN AIRPLANES TANKS--JUST A THOUGHT 

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 10:44 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

KEEP THIS IN MIND FLY WHEN THEY BUILD A BOAT THEY PUT ALL THAT CRAP BELOW DECK FIRST AND THEN PUT -SO TO SPEAK-THE TOP ON--- THE BEST SCENARIO IS TO POP THE TOP AND HAVE AT IT BUT THAT WOULD REQUIRE A BIG ASS HOIST THAT RUB RAIL IS MORE THAN IT SEEMS IT IS ALSO WHERE THE TWO HALVES JOIN TOGETHER--THEY BUILD A BOAT LIKE THEY BUILD AIRPLANES FROM THE INSIDE OUT AND HAVE NO REGARD FOR HOW YOU ARE GOING TO REPAIR STUFF LIKE FUEL TANKS ETC. BECAUSE WHEN IT GOES BAD THEY EXPECT YOU TO BUY A NEW  BOAT HOW ELSE ARE THEY GOING TO STAY IN BUSINESS IF YOU ONLY BOUGHT ONE BOAT?JUST LIKE A CAR YOU ARE CORRECT TAKE YOUR TIME-- AS I SAID WHEN IWAS UP THERE DON'T HURRY SOME THINGS COME TO YOU AFTER MUCHO THOUGHT BUDDY AND AT LEAST YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY STORAGE FEES!!

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 11:01 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Dan, is it possible to have them cut up and removed in pieces?  Then the replacement tank(s) would need to fit thru the existing hatches.  If I had to replace the ones on MyWay this is how I would have gone about it.  I am sure you have already considered this.  I too am with the others on not cutting the deck unless the deck is delaminated and in poor condition and needs replacement anyway.  Is your deck similar to the 251 and 280/1 Catalinas where it is all one molded piece with the unside gunnels?  It is hard to tell from the photos if there is a seam/joint between the deck and sides.  If there is a seam, what about removing the entire dexk and keep the cuts and repairs in the corner perimeter?

Jim, regarding that ladder....can the new one be cut to fit to go from 22" to 20" and just reinstall the caps on the bottom of the legs?  Post up a photo of what you have when you get the chance.

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 11:04 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Dan, also...if you were to remove the deck in one big piece, it may give you the opportunity to replace some of the structural beams under the deck from fore to aft...just a thought from 1400 miles away.

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 12:25 | IP Logged Quote floater251

How about having the tanks patched inside the boat where
The damage is then use liquid tank liner form por15.com,
will work as long as the tanks can be rolled around in place
to dispurse the sealer. Empty aired out tanks can be weld
patched or new pieces tigged welded.

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 17:01 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Quote: Nauti Cat

Jim, regarding that ladder....can the new one be cut to fit to
go from 22" to 20" and just reinstall the caps on the bottom of
the legs? Post up a photo of what you have when you get the
chance.

THAT is a GREAT idea!!!!

www.thehard6.com

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 17:15 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Dan,

Don't even think about repairing your old tanks.  They are in poor shape and without a doubt full of rust & debris.  You would spend a good amount of $ching to do a half assed job. 

To cut out the deck between the hatches to remove the tanks, you might have to position one tank to give you more room to remove the other one.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 20:53 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Jim,

Are you wanting to install said steps inside the cockpit or on the dive platform? If something for the cockpit, I suggest something like this:

Step folds up and the folding supports bear lots of weight and abuse.  Makes a nice seat too. I have one port and starboard. This step is stock Gerlick.  I installed the legs after cutting them to length, debburing the sharp ends and adding rubber feet. Without the legs, my 1st step's framing failed after 2 years. Had to replace with a second with the legs added. I weigh 250.

Gang,

Here is a study of some of the cockpit detail:

above Cockpit lounge

Lounge center section folds up for Lazzeratte access. Side seats also fold up. The whole thing is easily removable and stowed aboard. Lots of storage space underneath. All pillows are easily removed making a stage of sorts for whatever needs to be loaded. Also a handy low table for working on the engine, stowing parts/tools during servicing.

Lounge stowed.

Starboard section only.

Also Jim, you can see where that step is positioned.

Cockpit hardtop: Note searchlight controls and switch, solar air venting. The two wooden pieces are for handheld VHF holsters I used for a intercom system I designed using David Clark aircraft headsets- The boat is really lowd at speed and the headsets cut 25 dB.

You can see the push-to-talk switch (PTT) along with one of the headsets. I know it's a bit much- but it works well under way and really reducees fategue from engine noise while still havinf VHF function. We can pipe in music too.

This is the DVD,CD, MP3 unit. Above this shot is the portside statiuom - not the i Tune mounted on its goosneck.

Above- for privacy we put 2 pieces on top of each other. This material is from Costco. It the shelf non sliding material---very private- doesn't slide around.

Pilot station detail

Hope some of the ideas stimulate some thinking.

Roy

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 23:45 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

For those of you asking for a photo. I don't have one of the
cockpit here, but here's the steps...

MG]

01_234853_25122.jpg">

Edited by JimInFla on February 01 2012 at 23:48

www.thehard6.com

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 01 2012 at 23:46 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

damn I hate these forums...

www.thehard6.com

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: February 02 2012 at 23:14 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang. Sorry I havn't posted latley. Been out of town on biz, just got back from Charleston S.C.

Jim, hope Sunshine is doing well, Bonnie says Hi. Lotsa good stuff going on, Flybridge, tough call, you share the same hull as Mystic Diver, but deck configuration is different. My tanks sit directly on the stringers. The stringers have a "cutout" that cradles the tanks. If I had to replace tanks in my boat I would  cut the deck to creat a larger hatch opening. Accsess to my tank/rudder has always been an issue. Lotsa work and $$$$ but I would try to rebuild a larger hatch after new tanks were installed. I ain't a small guy and engine/machinery/bilge accsess is a pet peeve of mine. Even on large boats, the designers cut corners and make accsess to valves, wiring, etc. impossible. Nite, All, H.

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: February 04 2012 at 16:27 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Hey Capt Steve welcome back ! Thanks so much for asking we are fine here. Getting ready for our new mate ! Maybe Sunday we will go for a boat ride then come home and watch the Giants beat NE !!!!! We will see have to see what the weather does. Hope you had a good trip !

Diver great Pictures !

Hope you all have a great weekend

Dan Dont Cut the decK

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Swallowtail
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 04 2012 at 18:19 | IP Logged Quote Swallowtail

Hi,

I went to check out some things on the boat today and found this in a locker.

Is it a Chris Craft part?

It is about 18inches long but I can't work out where it fits.

Ian

Back to Top Printable version View Swallowtail's Profile Search for other posts by Swallowtail

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 04 2012 at 22:02 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

That looks like the cover for the galley storage that is at the
back of my countertop.

Ian, what year is yours again?

Jim

Edited by JimInFla on February 04 2012 at 22:15

www.thehard6.com

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: February 05 2012 at 11:18 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

YUP THAT IS WHAT IT ISTHE STORAGE COVER

Swallowtail
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 05 2012 at 12:26 | IP Logged Quote Swallowtail

Hi,

Thanks for the info, the galley looks like it has been modified so it might not fit now. I will have another look in 3 weeks time when we get the boat

Ian

Back to Top Printable version View Swallowtail's Profile Search for other posts by Swallowtail

Swallowtail
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: February 05 2012 at 17:18 | IP Logged Quote Swallowtail

Sorry Jim

The boat is a 1984 (but there are no details to confirm this)

Ian

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 05 2012 at 21:39 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Ian,

I am going to be re-doing my galley as part of my
refurbishment. I will be pulling these cabinets out of my
galley like yours. I'm also planning to replace the
"breadbox" on the wall with a shelf for the microwave on
the right and radios (VHF and FM / CD) on the left. I will
also remove the Princess alcohol / electric stove too. I'm
also planning on covering the stainless steel back wall as
well as new counter tops.

So, basically more like what you have. LOL

Jim

www.thehard6.com

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: February 08 2012 at 11:47 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Jim, I sis most of the stuff you're talking about. A view of the work I did on the Rob Roy.

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: February 08 2012 at 11:59 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

If interested here's a link to my photo album of the galley update.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=oex21q7.bx 29yjc7&x=1&y=-803h6n&localeid=en_US&cm_mmc=s ite_email-_-site_share-_-core-_-view_photos_button

Lake Superior
Wisconsin

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: February 08 2012 at 15:08 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Mark,

I have perhaps 174 or so questions for you after looking at
your photo gallery.

What kind of wood did you use for the brightwork? Does it
match the teak already in the cabin?

Did you paint the cabinet bases in the galley?

What material did you use for the countertops? Is it
formica?

How did you get the walls in the head out to work on /
replace them?

Jim

www.thehard6.com

]
] ]
191 Pages « 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version