View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
goodsign
"Seaman"

Posted: January 13 2012 at 10:41 | IP Logged Quote goodsign

Hello All,

I hope everyone had a happy holiday and will have a safe and contented 2012.

Jennifer, welcome to this forum. All the Catalina enthusiasts on this site are helpful and kind. I read your post & noticed a similarity to our situation & conclusions two years ago. For years we had (still have) a larger wooden CC, however, maintenance, expense, children who'd grown & friends who weren't as energetic as in the past, caused my wife & I to think that smaller might be better. Being CC devotees (especially the classics), we decided on purchasing a 251, a two-owner fresh water (Finger Lakes) gem with a low purchase price & complete with trailer. We have gotten many favorable comments at Lake Raystown, as it's not the typical craft seen there. Moreover, it's easy to trailer & launch, and not that hard on gasoline either. Although the 251 is not fast with a single 305, comfortably cruising about 20 mph, it's a nice speed to enjoy the scenery & winding nature of Lake Raystown. In short, for two people & a few occasional guests, I think the overbuilt 251 is about perfect.

Good luck & if you do buy it, I think you'll be happy with it. We are with ours.

P.S. Jennifer, when we cook, we use a propane gas stove & barbeque which we attach to the port side cockpit sole aluminum rail. And our 1980 251 has 900 hours on the original motor (although it has been well maintained & in fresh water), runs well with no noises, no oil consumption, or problems.

Safe Boating All (for those who are presently lucky enough to see water in its liquid state).

John

1964 C.C. Sea Skiff 28' (wood)Central Pa.
Back to Top Printable version View goodsign's Profile Search for other posts by goodsign

Swallowtail
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 13 2012 at 15:08 | IP Logged Quote Swallowtail

Hi,

Thanks for the advice on the soft deck. I had the surveyor check the boat and he confirms there is a small problem there but considering the condition of the rest of the boat he thought it was a good deal. The hull under the water line was very solid with no traces of osmosis or damage.

There are a few items we are having the boat yard sort out for us, so expect to have the boat in a few weeks time

Thanks again for the help and advice

Ian

Back to Top Printable version View Swallowtail's Profile Search for other posts by Swallowtail

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: January 13 2012 at 18:15 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Jimfla hope all is well with you mom .

Good evening Captins , Stuart Boat show this weekend down here . Going to go Sunday .Going down to the boat tomorrow to check on her and clean her up.

Roy Hope all is well with your boat . I dont close the sea cocks on the HHIII never did . they are prob stuck open now . Does any one else do that ????

Hope to see you out captin Steve.

Mike Seagar Louge are you at there ???????????

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: January 13 2012 at 19:23 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Captn's:   Still working in the part-time Marine canvas shop.  No regular pay yet.  It's only been a month, so will see how it goes.

Got around to doing something I wanted to do on CC,  pull the Port gas tank.  Since Port engine is removed, perfect time to "Clean n' Paint" the bilge area.  I wanted to pull the Port gas tank.  Good thing I decided to do that.  RUST covers a HOLE, where fuel-fill pipe enters top of tank.

Disconected all items that allow tank removal.  Got dark, so will still need to siphon-out gas from gas tank.  Only have 1/4 (25 gallons) fuel in tank. 

As my CC is a Sedan model, there are slightly different proceedures, but more room to work. The proceedure is straightforward.  Remove the 2 tie-Down Straps.  Disconect gas-line.  Remove 2 Upright wooden supports directly  Forward of tank.  And screws that hold Ground Strap. 

I found the rusty gas tank, at the point where the Fuel-Fill pipe, ENTERS the TOP of tank.   I innocently, and  simply reached for what I thought was "gunk".  WRONG!!!  It WAS the tank metal that turned into RUST.  As I removed the rust, a huge hole opened-up.  It's a WONDER, the P.O. had NOT blown-up him and the boat!!

The Fuel Fill pipe, COULD be a REAL problem, ....IF only removing gas tank.  It as threads, and screws into the tank-top opening.  Pipe can be accessed from COCKPIT, after removal of a cover, that hides Gas-Fill Pipe, from top of deck, near gunnel.  After cover is off, you can  place a big pipe-wrench, onto Fill- Pipe.   IMPORTANT:   The FILL-PIPE, ...MUST be REMOVED, BEFORE moving TANK.  Since the tank-top was nothing but a RUST PILE, where Pipe enters tank, I  knocked-out the remaining "Good" metal, which was only 1/8 of original pipe-hole size.  EASY knock-out. 

The Fill-Pipe, was easy to remove, since ALL NEW Materials/Parts/Fittings are going back in. Removed Deck-Fitting, and Gas Cap.  Twisted the Gasoline Vent-Pipe, off from tank top, which runs to a Thru-Hull opening. 

Will find a siphon-hose, and remove gasoline.  Must be really old gas, smell less like gas, and more like motor oil.

As soon as I found the hole in Port tank, I IMMEDIATLY checked Starboard tank.  WHEW!!!  It's ok, at least there was no rust-pile as alike the the Port tank.  Will check Starboard better tomorrow.

When Port gas tank is removed, I'll check-out the wooden supports, that hold both gas tanks.  Then "Clean n' Paint Port side.   After that, I'll disconect the Starboard tank, and slide to the Port side of CC, and then "Clean n' Paint Starboard side, and when finished, slide gas Tank, back to  Starboard and reconnect.  At LEAST, I'll have the STERN BILGE section clean and painted!!

I'll make a video of tank (s) locations, and detail of the area within the bilge tomorrow.

Later,  Fly Bridge......Dan

Edited by Fly Bridge on January 13 2012 at 19:58

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: January 13 2012 at 19:58 | IP Logged Quote RickP

Dan, glad to see your back at it! It's a bummer about the  port gas tank though! I know the feeling of getting a little ahead, then taking another step back due to another problem!

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: January 13 2012 at 20:01 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Rick, BEFORE, you ask, I am Posting in CCC dot Com, also, later.  OK??  Dan. 

Pineapple Girl
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 13 2012 at 21:56 | IP Logged Quote Pineapple Girl

Dan that is kinda scary.  Glad you caught the issue. 

John is your grill/ burner a "marine" item?  Is it all and one or do you have two separate things?  you say you cruise at 20 mph?  What is your fuel burn at that speed?  thank you.

SF Bay Area
Blog
Back to Top Printable version View Pineapple Girl's Profile Search for other posts by Pineapple Girl

RickP
"Seaman"

Posted: January 13 2012 at 23:05 | IP Logged Quote RickP

Jennifer, Here are the specs from the 1985 brochure. It shows the inboard being stock, it may help you with other questions to. Hopefully it's readable, I can't remember the last time I used a scanner. I'm kind of digging the mid cabin model.

Edited by RickP on January 13 2012 at 23:12

Pineapple Girl
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 13 2012 at 23:23 | IP Logged Quote Pineapple Girl

Rick that is awesome, thanks.  We are super excited to take another look 1/28 and hopefully make an offer. 

SF Bay Area
Blog
Back to Top Printable version View Pineapple Girl's Profile Search for other posts by Pineapple Girl

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: January 13 2012 at 23:31 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Dan,

It's great to hear you're contuniung you journey- someone once said 'it's the journey, not the destination'- I think there's something to that...

Suggest using CC's original layout scheme when re-installing. They were very good at designing things correctly. Theory being air all around (on 280's the tank sits on supports abrift the stringers), strapping with rubber strips for anti chafe, full load supporst for the full length of the bottom of the tank, with edging ... no sliding around. Perhaps a production-made tank of similar size and dimention will do. It sounds like there was water ingress to the top of the tank where the rain water/seawater just rested...and the damage was done (?) Maybe there was a leak(s) where the filler penetrated the deck... water ran down the tube onto the top of the tank(?) If you can, find how water got in. Maybe compare how the other tank is installed and the sealing arrangment...include a ground strap at the filler tube- also a tank air vent.

Hi Jennifer,

You might be able to get a repair quote on that soft deck and negociate off the cost from the sale price. These kind things are usually a larger project than originally thought, so be vigenent and get a bargian price. You couldn't have choosen a better second boat!

Ahoy the fleet-

I found what appears to be clogging gunk in the botton of the port manifold. I removed the elbow, attached a hose to the manifold inlet and tried to blow thru it- not totally restricted but bad enough... Our  mechanic thinks it's actually degraded iron pealing off from the mainfold's casting inside- apparently this is something that does happen in salt water. This is a black, grainy stuff that stinks... he says this is a solid discription of just such a situation. I hope, fortunately, I also found that the hose from the pump outlet to the tranny cooler had a nylon coupling to make the shape right- not exactly factory- installed by the P.O.. I'm hoping this coupling is what failed to hold the back pressure instead of the pump itself springing a leak- crossed fingers. Will pull the manifold and use a local pay car-wash's hi pressure nozzle and muric acid (used to clean hot tubs) to clear it- also fingers crossed. Now it looks like I'm going to rebuild two raw water pumps! 

Nite all, Roy         

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: January 14 2012 at 09:31 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Rick great scan ! Jen best of luck to you, Keep us posted. Every where I go with my boat people love to see a nice chris craft. The best boat . As for the BBQ we use it all the time .In fact I am on my 2nd one . I love it ! It truly is a port of my boat!  Roy glad you founf the problem !

Love the BBQ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: January 14 2012 at 17:13 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Hell all went down to the HHIII today cleanned up the cabin and put a nice piece of carpet down. Also fixed the 12 volt outlets that I got from west marine and the backs pushed out on them .I glued them and they seem ok now. Started the motors and they started right up and ran great. Going to take her out tomorrow for a nice lunch cruise after the boat show .

The new carpet

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: January 14 2012 at 23:51 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hello, All. BRRRRRRR. Cold down here in SE Florida. Diver, be careful with the muratic acid. It can eat cast iron really fast. I use a 50-50 mix with water.

JimHH , we may be diong a little pompano fishing near the island sunday PM. Will keep an eye out for u and Sunshine. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Gonna curl up to the first mate. Nite all, H.

Edited by Capt. Heavy on January 14 2012 at 23:52

goodsign
"Seaman"

Posted: January 15 2012 at 11:02 | IP Logged Quote goodsign

Hello All, Heavy, it's been very cold here as well...single digits the last few nights.

Jennifer, the stove/barbeque is one unit (available in two sizes) and called MAGMA MARINE KETTLE- check on ebay, Overton's, & probably West Marine.

Regarding gas mileage, I guess "not bad on gas" is a subjective judgement on my behalf. Moreover, my MPG figures are not going to be based on scientifically accurate data (no flowmeter, GPS, etc.). That said, Raystown Lake is approximately one mile wide & 30 miles long with no development on the banks, mostly calm wind & water, but conveniently marked with mile signs along its entire length. Therefore it's fairly easy to estimate the distance traveled & then a high tech broom handle marked every inch determines how many gallons we've burned & then sent out those sweet sounding Catalina exhausts. Depending on how much low speed cruising (off-plane) and no wake idling we do (sometimes a lot), we are somewhere between 2-3 miles a gallon, which for our purpose (since our gasoline cost/day is usually less than the cost of a two hour movie & popcorn) is acceptable.

Good luck Jennifer, and I hope you can make a great deal.

Safe Boating All, John  

Back to Top Printable version View goodsign's Profile Search for other posts by goodsign

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: January 15 2012 at 15:36 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Quote: Swallowtail

Hi,

Thanks for the advice on the soft deck. I had the surveyor check the boat and he confirms there is a small problem there but considering the condition of the rest of the boat he thought it was a good deal. The hull under the water line was very solid with no traces of osmosis or damage.

There are a few items we are having the boat yard sort out for us, so expect to have the boat in a few weeks time

Thanks again for the help and advice

Ian

Good to hear Ian, let us know what happens.  Above the rub rail wet core is a common issue with most vessels this age, mine were wet and I fixed most of the decks before selling, there was just one more spot to take care of but the next owner will have to do it.  My Chris Craft was just like the one you are looking at...many great aspects and they out numbered the problems based on the price.  Good luck!

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

CCRider
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 15 2012 at 19:02 | IP Logged Quote CCRider

Diver,  I initially made the mistake of closing the seacock after each use, until I forgot to open it!  Destroyed the impeller.  But did not seem to harm engine.  Talked to a couple of mechanics later and both said that altho had a lot of steam from exhaust, the fact that it was only idlying and not under load probably did not do any damage, which so far has proved to be the case.  If the seacock is in good condition, leave it open.  Best not depend on memory.

Jennifer.  My wife and I are former sailors, having had 3 different boats on the bay - 24', 30' & 36'.  Bought our 280 3 years ago for a different boating experience.  A couple of thoughts about our transistion to CC Rider.  With a sailboat and also with your trawler, you have a big rudder which allows the boat to react immediately.  Not so with a straight shaft inboard.  The rudder is about the size of a dinner plate (not kidding) and the faster you go, the easier it steers.  Manuvering at slow speeds in tight quarters like a marina can be a preety scary experience, particularly if you have tide or wind conditions of which the delta has plenty of.  The nice thing about Korths is that it is well protected from the wind and currents.  We initially  had so many problems trying to learn how to dock the boat, whether in a slip or side tie, that my wife (who is a very good sailor) was becoming so paranoid about hitting things that she was ready to quit.  We took a few lessons, which didn't help much.  We practiced in a nearby set of docks, etc.  Finally out of desperation, I had a stern thruster installed.  WOW!  Everything changed overnight.  The boat is now a joy to manuver!  We're no longer afraid to take it new places due to control issues.  I know it can be learned, and many members of the forum don't seem to have a problem, but it was no longer fun and we were finding excuses not to take it out. 

Another way to learn is to join the Power Squadron, which we did.  My wife and I went to an all day class for the wives and girlfriends, called SkipperSaver, so that the lady can learn to handle the boat in emergency situations.  Excellent class.  The Squardron  chapter in the delta has lots of activities and their own island and docks about 8 miles upriver from Korths.  If you want to talk or ask more questions, call me at 650-712-0642.

Denis

Back to Top Printable version View CCRider's Profile Search for other posts by CCRider

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: January 15 2012 at 19:36 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

hello all hope everyone had a great weekend . We went to the stuart boat show today and looked at many boats. I had the itch then after we left the show we took out the HHIII to get some lunch and a quick cruise boy let me tell you once back aboard the HHIII its amazing how well a Chris Craft handles and how much room a 280/281 cabin has. I guess we will just be fixing up our cabin more the itch went away for now. HHIII runs great . Have a great week all.

CCrider I hear you the 280 is hard to dock I got so use to docking my 281 when a ran a friends 280 I could not believe the difference. I can put my 281 ANY WHERE. Unless you are like Tom that man can dock "My Way" like I have never seen . See his youtube video . Pratice makes it all better. Amazing how out of practice I am when it comes to a single .

Looked for you capt Steve today nite all

alejandro
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 15 2012 at 21:11 | IP Logged Quote alejandro

good night everybody   first time i use this and my english is not so good so have patience    please help me with this   i need to know if the hull of a chris craft 292 sunbrige about 86  is strong seaworthy and seakindly enough to be used as a work boat in caribbean bad weather.   we have very little choice here  currency control etc  .there is one of those for sale  but nobody around knows the boat and it has no engines so i cant test it .a mistake would litteraly sink me.ihave 2 isuzu 4bd that would go on it.many thanks.  a.
Back to Top Printable version View alejandro's Profile Search for other posts by alejandro

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: January 16 2012 at 09:43 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

alejandro,

You're inquiry about the boat you're looking at is quite vague however that size boat should serve well in 4-6 seas.  The repower is going to be the determining factor.  What out put are the diesels and what drives would you couple them with?  The prop work is going to be trial and error at best.  Will the diesels have enough power to over come rough seas?  These are huge questions that need to be explored for your application.  My first inclination is that the previous owner didn't think that the boat was worth re-powering.  I would check the stringers using a drill and see what needs to be replaced.  Asume they are bad and need work.

Pineapple,

I have a twin power 281.  There is a 10 gallaon waste tank behind the fuel cell.  I removed the alchohol cook top and installed a small microwave to heat things up. The gas grill that Jim uses is the way to go for burgers and such.  Docking with a single screw is tricky at best.  I can put my twin power in places with literally inches of room fore & aft. 

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
http://www.superiordaycruises.com
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 16 2012 at 10:36 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

As one who has single screw, I have to agree with Denis.

The first time I docked my 293 was a heart attack
experience. I was coming into a very tight fuel dock and
didn't judge the current correctly. Nearly collided with
another boat before getting tied up. When backing into the
slip that night, with a little help, we got it.

Here's the best advice I can give you.... Figure out what
your boat does on it's own in reverse and work WITH it. My
boat's stern pulls port when in reverse. So what I do is put
the wheel all the way to stbd and use pulses of forward to
correct the port drift. I ALWAYS dock to port if I have a
choice. Here's the best thing anyone ever told me about
my boat and backing. "Just act like you have no rudder in
reverse". Until that rudder has 2 or 3 MPH of water flowing
over it, it's useless, so I don't even really use it when
backing in to a slip. Practice will make it better and now I
can turn my boat almost in its own length and frequently
get compliments on how I handle her.

People that know boats will have a lot more respect for
someone who can back a single screw boat into a slip if
you do it well, which in my opinion is just practice.

Hope that helps!

Jim

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 16 2012 at 10:42 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Jim (HHIII)

I am going to be redoing the cabinets in my galley like you
did. I am curious though, what did you cover the cabinets
with? Did you just paint them, or use another material?

Also, did you put a picture frame over your electrical panel to
keep small hands off of it?

Jim

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

Captain Mark
"First Mate"

Posted: January 16 2012 at 15:20 | IP Logged Quote Captain Mark

Jim, I aggree with you.  Single screw docking is a skill that I don't posess.  I wouldn't want to try to throw I single screw in my slip with a 20kt south wind and a 40' boat at the fuel dock.  Nothing but trouble I'm sure, however I did come in under 1 engine last season.  That was really interesting!

Lake Superior
Wisconsin
http://www.superiordaycruises.com
Back to Top Printable version View Captain Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Captain Mark

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: January 16 2012 at 15:35 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

good advise captians....even if your boat has twins, need to know how to handle on just one.  For me, the savings in fuel and maintenance outweighed the need for twins for handling and I did not need redundance as we would never leave protected waters (towboatUS # in the cell phone memory and a good anchor at the ready).

I guess I am one of the fortunate ones when it comes to single engine docking.  Took a few weekends of practice but as you aid Jim "work WITH it" and she'll do exactly what you want.  Slow and easy and use the back-and-fill method.  If no way to get her into the slip 'stern-in' can always go bow in and try again later when wind/current is in your favor.

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: January 16 2012 at 23:58 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang. JIMINFL you ROCK!!!. I could not have said it any better. Docking a single screw vessel is a skill that, when mastered, will be envied by the arm chair boaters in the marina. I never ran a twin screw vessel till I was 35 years old. (I'll be 59 tomorrow). It takes practice, but it's so satisfiing when you get it done. I've run a 40 foot single screw vessel for years and get complimented by novices and pro's alike.

Now manuvering a twin screw vessel on 1 engine is a whole different story. Like Capt. Mark, I've had the misfortune of losing an engine in less than ideal conditoins. If ya don't crash and burn, ya did OK!! It dosn't have to be pretty, just safe!! Nite, All, H.

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 15:45 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Thanks Steve!

www.thehard6.com

Pineapple Girl
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 15:51 | IP Logged Quote Pineapple Girl

John good point on the cost of gas versus whatever else you could be entertaining yourself with.  Good perspective. 

Denis I have read about that skipper saver class, sounds like it would be valuable.  If we move forward with the boat we will be calling you for pointers.

thanks all for all the points to consider.

SF Bay Area
Blog

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 16:15 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Quote: Capt. Heavy
(I'll be 59 tomorrow)

Happy Birthday Capt. H!

"MY WAY"

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 16:15 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

I have to say when I blew my strb motor I took the boat to the marina on just my port oh boy what a nightmare plus there was wind etc.  I should of just called boat us ! For the $120 a year you get unlimited towing . Thats a great deal. Lets just hope you never need it !!!! I like Boat us over sea tow. Boat us gives you more . I know I can handle my boat well. I ran a 72' footer too. One motor when you have twins is a whole different world.

As for the cost I can't get upset It's my love. Being on out there you really cant put a price on it. It's just how far and how fast  I go lol Fuel  has been getting up there $$$$.  Have a great week all.

Great to hear from you Capt Mark , Hope all is well with you and your family . Any winter projects ???????

Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 17:17 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

Welcome new members, Swallowtail and Pineapple Girl. Still got my Chrissy in the water ,all doing fine If the weather get to be a nice day and the winds lay down ,she is due for a cruise.Hang in the guys still a few more nice days.

Back to Top Printable version View Dewy's Profile Search for other posts by Dewy

goodsign
"Seaman"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 19:17 | IP Logged Quote goodsign

Hello All,

HAPPY 59th BIRTHDAY, Steve. I'm raising a glass of my homemade concord grape wine to you Mmm Mmm good!

Safe Boating All, John

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 19:48 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Happy Birthday Capt'n Heavy!!! You said a fiew years ago
that your I think mother in law lives here in NC, when you
coming to visit?
Dewy, I'm ready for another ride! And maybe some fishing
lessons!
As for docking a single screw... I nearly had a stroke from
My blood pressure rising trying to learn the procedure, but
Nauti posted a step by step lesson and I damn near
mastered it before I sold the #1. I never docked a twin.
Floater.

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 20:34 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

First sad news.  My teacup poodle, Baby, Passed away 1-06-2012.  I awoke in the morning, and she died during the night.  She licked my nose and face like normal, then we went to sleep.  She was only 9 1/2 years old.  I surely  miss her, she was a joy, and always wanting to give kisses.  I had her cremated and placed in the same style Urn, as her Mother, Princess.  The urns are "Mother of Pearl, and brass".  They both are placed together on a footed-wood Base.  Video of her alive, when in truck.  I'll try to upload Video.  If successful, it will be enclosed in a link.

Well Capn's.  I know that there was SUPOSSED to be a video of my fuel tank removal.  However not as "straightforward" as I thought!  Tight quarters, and tight tank space  fit.  Got tank "catty wampas" first try, then wedged, so left it for next day. 

Returned and banged tank back into original position, and attached a "Come-A-long" on the welded ring on tank top, hull side.  I started moving the inward section out first, then cranked on hull side.  I seen that tank was going to be wedged again, but thought "Come-A-long would overcome problem of wedging.  Lots of cranking, tying-off, and long pipe leverage, to move tank out.

Got it loose, then took short nap.  Went back out the house back-door to boat and climbed aboard.   After awhile,  in the bilge, turning tank every-which-way,, I  went up onto deck, and  lit a cigarette.  I then declared: "Captain, we have a problem"!!  Either I have a too big of a tank, or the hatch opening is too small. 

Do not want to "Enlarge" one of the two hatches, so perhaps I'll rent a Saws- All from rental place, and cut tank.  Tank is heavy, and thick gage material.  And also galvanized. 

Here is a photo of EXACT size and shape, of my fuel tank, which is 100 gallon galanized tank.   I found photo on the Internet.  Notice the angled end.  This angled end fits on the Hull-side of my boat.  There is close clearance along the exhaust line, and at Chris Craft muffler. 

I will get a video made of the rust damaged tank tomorrow. 

Fly Bridge. 

Edited by Fly Bridge on January 17 2012 at 21:10

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 20:47 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi All,

Handling A single was a very enjoyable process for me to learn, I develped skills and the knowing what the boat does and doesn't do- along with moments of terror!! till I got the hang of it. Short of wind like Catp. Mark mentions or a hellish current, docking is a pretty cool thing to learn.... As you might expect, we've done it many, many times at our slip. This repetition makes docking elsewhere much easier...even if it's different- I know what the boat does now.  Most single 280's when backing kick their stern to port. This for instance, means that when I want to hang a u turn, I always turn right 1st. Than as she comes around, I bump reverse and she spins on a dime. @80 do this no problem- impressive to watch.  If docking, I always turn right into a slip- even if it means going to the end of the fairway, hanging a U turn and going from there- works every time.  People watching often comment after we secure about wondering what the hell I'm doing, but then they get a look of knowing as they watch- very gratifying!  A quick bump in Reverse turns her nose right (backing kicks her back left) and gets her lined up just so- like Capt. Heavy says- a thing of beauty.

Having a suicide knob on the wheel of a single 280 is indespensible.A  Smooth, effortless, fast, pricise rubber is essential, can't steer with a single's engine! One other thing that's really different- when the prop is in neutral, there's no steering- none. The whole thing with a single is that the process of anticipating becomes second nature...I feel a sense of connectdness with what is going on around me...it's very immersive and awarness expanding.... threatening disaster does that.

I have finished cleaning the crud out of the engine's port mainfold. After unscrewing the hose fitting and the 2 acess plugs, I used a small, flexable long necked screwdriver with lots of WD40 to clean out the granualated iron that had accumilated. Then a process screwdriver and shaping the hanger wire (the heavier, the better)  to get everything out. Alternating a garden hoses hi pressure nozzle and the shaped hanger wire pretty much got everything out- messy job, but works well. Did'nt have to use the Muric Acid- whew!  Reassemble,  spraypaint Mercury black. Used a mill file to clean off the gasket leavings in the elbow and exhaust gasket surfaces- looks new. 

We have been getting hard freezes here in SF. Fortunately, the Bay water stays around 50 deg F. , protecting the engine from the snap. We'll have her up and running inside a week- waiting on factory hoses and Jabsco rebuild kits.

All the best everyone! Roy

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 21:00 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

A Very Happy Birthday Captin Steve !!!! Enjoy your day ! Fishing I hope

My Mate wishes you a very happy Birthday too !!!1 Enjoy

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 21:05 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Fly Bridge,

My condolences Captain! I know how much your little friends ment to you. 

Do you remember when Jimmy Steurt read a beautiful peice on Johney Carson's show about an old dog passing and its master's hearfelt poem about the experience? You could hear a pin drop in the audience and Carson- in a rare thing- came to tears. I'm sure the same could be said for the audience.

Again, heart felt wishes,

Roy 

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 21:22 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Roy:  Thank you!!  I cannot remenber the episode, you mentioned.  Perhaps i did, but need my memeroy jogged.  cannot upload the Baby, video.  It's in my computer files, but cannot transfer to this Forum.  I will Post a couple of photos in this Post. 

If you know how to upload a video from computer folder files let me know.  in the meantime, email me, and I'll email video to you. My email is located within Signature, at bottom of Posts. 

Happy Birthday Captain Heavy!!

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 21:57 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Dan, sorry to hear about your loss...never easy especially as our pets truly become members of our families.

that is some job on the fuel tank...looking forward to a successful tankectomy.

Regarding docking...I knew I had the hang of it the time I pulled into a fire island marina dock slip with a strong SW blow and the guy my wife passed the lines to said "thank God you have twins"  He was sure surprised when I pointed out the single shift lever!  said I manuvered it better than people he knew who had boats with twins.  Of course the response from my first mate was "settle down...your head is getting bigger!"  haha but she was smiling too...always hated to be in sticky situations with all the spectators.

"MY WAY"

goodsign
"Seaman"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 23:09 | IP Logged Quote goodsign

Hello All,

Flybridge, I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your pet dog...one of the cutest faces I've ever seen.

Roy, you have a really good memory. That poem about Jimmy Stewart's ( I'm proud to say he was a Central PA native, Indiana, PA)dog, Beau, can still be seen on U-Tube. Type in "Jimmy Stewart reads a poem about his dog Beau" on The Tonight Show. It's as touching now as it was in 1981.

Safe Boating All, John

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: January 17 2012 at 23:14 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

FlyBridge,

I feel for your loss. My 15 year old cat, who has always been
a loyal and wonderful friend, was diagnosed with terminal
cancer 2 weeks ago. So I took my boat upgrade money and
she is now on chemotherapy. The good news is that in the first
2 weeks the tumors have shrunk 20-25%.

You know what they say... Life is what happens when you are
making other plans.

Jim

www.thehard6.com

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: January 18 2012 at 09:20 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

FLY BRIDGE SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS BUDDY-30 YEARS LATER AND I STILL MISS MY DOG-THE BEST FRIEND I EVER HAD!! IF YOU ARE GOING TO CUT ON THAT TANK BE SURE AND EMPTY IT AND THEN FILL WITH WATER AND FLUSH AGAIN WE DON'T WANT YOU BLOWING UP!!OLD FUEL IS WORSE THAN NEW FUEL AND IS LITERALY A TIME BOMB --THEY DON'T BUILD BOATS FOR REPAIRS THAT'S FOR SURE--THE TANKS WERE PROBABLY PUT IN BEFORE THE TOP WENT ON THEY BUILD AIRPLANES THE SAME WAY FROM THE INSIDE OUT-GOOD LUCK ON THE PROJECT-66

]
] ]
191 Pages « 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version