View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: October 18 2011 at 20:13 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

To All:    Interesting day today.    Found out how come Bennett trim Tabs, not operating.  The power-wire, was connected to the Port engine ignition swith.  Since the port engine is removed, there is no connection.  Took the power-wire (Orange) and connected to the Starboard ignition switch, with switch-off position.  Trim Tabs works now!! 

Cap'n Lone Wolf:   Gel coat scratch, and deep cut repair.    Check the BoatUS, Resource, on the LEFT-side of forum.  look for: USEFUL LINKS.  Then, ASK THE EXPERTS. Then, look for Don Casey articles.  Very GOOD articles!!

Fly Bridge----Dan

Edited by Fly Bridge on October 18 2011 at 20:14

salmonpro
"Seaman"

Posted: October 18 2011 at 22:20 | IP Logged Quote salmonpro

Lonewolf,

I do believe that you need to keep your Anchor light on the aft of the boat but you could add in a "mast light" on you windsheild. The problem with adding an all around light there is that you have to either put it pretty high or put in a mast light that has a forward facing 225 degree light or the light itself makes for hard sitlines in the dark. Maybe it is just me. But I am pretty sure that the law states you have to have an aft light and since you have that already I think you can put in a 225 forward facing on the midcabin or windsheild and it doesn't have to be an all around light.  Check the navigation lights laws for your waters.

going to try and put in some padding and vinyl on the side walls this weekend I will snap some photos and post them when I get through it.

Back to Top Printable version View salmonpro's Profile Search for other posts by salmonpro

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: October 19 2011 at 03:17 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Capn's:   A friend from Canada, sent me this video.  I'm sure you Cap'ns on the the Catalina forum, can appreciate the message, this video communicates.   But,--- WHY WAS THIS --NOT --IN THE NEWS MEDIA??!!        

http://www.youtube.com/embed/MDOrzF7B2Kg

fly Bridge-----Dan    

Edited by Fly Bridge on October 19 2011 at 03:19

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: October 19 2011 at 08:14 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

SAW THAT VIDEO EARLIER FLY BRIDGE WAS AN AWSOME THING!!YEH PUMP OUT IS A DIRTY JOB AND LEAVING THAT "CRAP"ON BOARD IS NOT GOOD--SHOULD PUMP OUT EVERYTIME AFTER RETURN TO PORT--MOST OF OUR BOATS HAVE A "MAST ANCHOR -RUNNING"LIGHT (WHITE) ON OUR WINDSHIELDS (TOP)WHEN RUNNING AT NIGHT-WHITE LIGHT AFT ON TRANSOM AND TOP LIGHT ON (FORWARD ONLY)--WHEN AT ANCHOR TOP LIGHT ON BOTH FWD AND AFT--YOU CAN FIND THIS INFO ON THIS SITE

LONEWOLF62
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 19 2011 at 15:08 | IP Logged Quote LONEWOLF62

Hello: ALL        Thank you for your feedback, the mast light that sits on my cabin roof next to my horn is 4' tall, I want to shorten it and place it on top of my windshield,just like boatman has, this light is wht. faceing fwd. when under way and I have a wht. light on my transom faceing aft.  When anchored this light is wht. 360.   Is it a problem to run the wires up the center channel of the winshield?? on my 251.      Has anyone used a( battery tender waterproof 800) on their boat to keep the batteries charged while on shore power??    I have seen these on AUTOGEEK.COM??

Lonewolf

Back to Top Printable version View LONEWOLF62's Profile Search for other posts by LONEWOLF62

LONEWOLF62
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 19 2011 at 15:28 | IP Logged Quote LONEWOLF62

Hello Again:    Fly Bridge : Thank you for the info. Don Caseys article is just what I needed.     THIS SITE ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Lonewolf

Back to Top Printable version View LONEWOLF62's Profile Search for other posts by LONEWOLF62

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: October 19 2011 at 19:55 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Dan, Thank You.

Lonewolf,

When I was dealing with overhead electricals (wipers, overhead lamp)  I had the advantage of a hardtop.  I bypassed the wires inside the windowframe- (difficult access and two wires were damaged inside that frame). Instead, I installed black ribbed, plastic electrical conduit up the starboard sidewindow just aft of the vent window. I unscrewed (unseize 1st) the sheetmetal screws from the frame, used nylon clamp rings to hold the conduit. Because of the hardtop, I was able to use the side-slit type for ease of wiring. With a no top or soft top boat, the differances would be something like the conduit needs to be un-slit for watertightness. For something like this, I suggest preassembling a harness to get wire lengths and terminations established.  Then install and seal with RTV. Mounting lights, horns etc on the windshield might be done using the windshield's wiper mount points (?). I don't know how much stress the frame can deal with. I guessing here, but from a production point of view CC installed all windowframes designed to support a heavy hardtops in case they were installed, using the triangle geometry of the frame- maybe good news.  Another way would be an arch. 

Roy (Diver)

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 20 2011 at 08:10 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

All,

I have "completed" the Stbd Window project. Why the ""s? Well, when I tried to remove it to re-do the caulking, I discovered that 3M has an interesting definition of the words "non-permanent". I loosened the top seam and the window would not budge. And I mean not a millimeter. I pulled the frame out just enough to get another bead of 3M 4000 back in there and screwed it in using #10 screws (the originals are #8). Got the "bead up" when it compressed and I am sure that not only does it not leak, but that the bond may outlive me. There is still a bit of cleanup to do, but I decare the project a success.

I also had someone come and look at the genset yesterday since it is located in an area not easy for a 6'4" tall 350# guy to get to. He had it up and running in about 2 hours. Replaced the water pump impeller while he was at it. I think the cost was worth my not having to wrestle myself down in there! Now we will be able to participate in the light parade since we have 110V power when underway.

We have decided to wait on the headliner and refurb the exterior fiberglass first. I have contracted a professional to do the work since I have calculated that it will be 100-150 hours of work. Which means it will take me until retirement to get it done myself. He is going to wetsand the entire shell with 1500 grit paper, compound it, wax it, and buff it out. I saw some of his work last weekend and it was amazing. While he is at it, I am going to have him replace the striping on the cabin sides that is pretty sad. I'll try and get some photos up of before and after to share with you all.

Jim

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: October 20 2011 at 08:47 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

ALL RIGHT JIM IN FLA GETTIN THAT WORK DONE ANYWAY YOU CAN WAY TO GO!!  ---LONEWOLF YES ON BOARD BATT CHARGER IS WHAT MOST OF US HAVE AND THERE ARE WIRE CHANNELS IN THE WIDSHIELD ASSEMBLY THEY COME UP FROM BELOW THE GUNNELS AT THE AFT SECTION OF THE WINGED PART NOT THE CENTER --

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 20 2011 at 14:33 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Blige blower question....

The Coasties came aboard at my request to do a safety inspection. They held their hands over each of my vents while the blower was running, but they didn't feel "sufficent" air flow. So, my question to you 28X, 29X owners is where does your bilge blower vent out to?

Thanks all, you guys are amazing!

JimInFla

www.thehard6.com
Back to Top Printable version View JimInFla's Profile Search for other posts by JimInFla

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:30 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

JIM:   Although my CC is not same model as yours, I looked-up photos online, to see  vent locations.   The bilge vents, SHOULD be visible on one, or both side of hull.  Access, should be from diecrtly BEHIND the vent---INSIDE your CC.   I'm not sure if YOUR blower is located in the bilge, or above the bilge. 

Photo shows, 2 vents on Starboard, hull just below gunnel.  The BLOWER MOTOR (S)  should be accessed from INSIDE THE CC, NOT, from outside the hull, but INSIDE CC.

Fly Bridge-----Dan

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:47 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Jim,

For some reason, the number of vents can vary, maybe by what the original owner ordered. With CC, everything was a option. Generally speaking, on 280's, there's an intake on the hull just under the wheelhouse superstructure- one will spot chromed grille. The exhaust will have a grille aft venting to outside. With fans installed, it's a pull-in, push-out system. I have seen boats with a more passive system with the exhaust fan/vent only. On Lorelei, both vents fore/aft and Port/Stbd have fans. 

Maybe the Coasties checked a vent that had no fan...or it doesn't work?

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 20 2011 at 17:48 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Roy,

The Coasties checked *all* of them. They were quite
patient with me. I probably have a hose that fell off from
it's mounting.

Dan, I do have one vent on each side on both the cabin
side, and just below the gunwale.

I'll check it tomorrow when I get there. No blower exhaust
= bad.

Thanks guys!

Jim

www.thehard6.com

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: October 20 2011 at 18:58 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Jim:    I had same problem, no exhaust, from vent.   in my problem , could HEAR blower, but no exhaust, from vent.  The reason was, complete disintegration of PLASTIC "Squirrel-cage"!!

Hopefully, your problem, is only that a duct fell-off the blower.  A cage, may be a real headache to find.  However, as other Capn's urged me, it would be wise,  "Buy a new blower motor".  IF, you must purchase a blower motor, there are local marine stores available.  Marine West did NOT carry, the type of blower I had.  The West Marine local store only carried the "IN-LINE STYLE"  I found a local marine store that has my exact blower type/model.  Also, you can go on-line, and purchase.   My research, found there are 3 mounting styles, INLINE;  FLANGED; FLEX.  And in 2 sizes 3 inch and 4 inch.  Mine are Flange,  3 inch.  I SUPPOSE, yours is a Flange mount, 3 inch, also.

Basically, my blower type came in a "Flanged Mount" configuration.  Blowers also came in "Flex Mount".    Also, look for specs, such as 12v and CFM  (Cubic Feet, per Minute).  On-line sources, provide such specs in the model of blower listings for sale from them.

Again, I HOPE, you do not have to buy a new blower!!

I found a website, to give an idea, of cost/models, etc, for your information, and NOT to promote this particular company to purchase a blower motor.  The link is located below.  Remember, these blowers ALSO have 12v/18v/24v, AND in, 3inch and 4 inch sizes.  (Your CC PROBABLY has a 3 inch OPENING, thru the HULL).  And in Flanged and Flex mounts!!!!  Be SURE and ALSO look for CFM !!!

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Marine-Bilge-Blowers-s/113.htm?c lick=7159 

Hope this is of help, Jim!!!

Fly Bridge-----Dan

Edited by Fly Bridge on October 20 2011 at 19:17

Nauti Cat
"Commander"

Posted: October 20 2011 at 20:46 | IP Logged Quote Nauti Cat

Lonewolf... regarding the masthead/anchor/nav light, mine was moved to the windshield by a previous owner who then installed a Perko brand fore/aft light at the top of the windshield and the horn was moved to the starboard side of the cabin roof.  I upgraded and moved the horn back to the original position in the center of the cabin roof but left the Perko light on the top of the windshield.  I would have preferred having the original light in the original spot but was unable to locate one. 

JimInFl...very glad to hear the window project is "complete" and you are onto the next challenge.  I wanted to wet sand My Way's topsides but like many other projects never got to it.

Regarding blowers, My Way has two (pt and stbd) and they pushed out a lot of air but were quite noisy, almost like the bearings were on their way out.  The air exited the smaller square vents towards aft and the other rectangle/longer vents brought air in and out while underway.  The easiest way to access the blowers on the 280's is by removing the storage cubbys under the helm and companion seats...very easy to access from there (I learned the hard way buy first trying to access them from in the engine compartment...ugh!)

For some reason I keep getting "unwatched for replies" into the forum (maybe because I sold the Cat???) but I know you all have been posting, just not a lot of time these days to log into the forum, easier to read them in the emails sometimes.  So, I "watched" it again, so I should be getting the email replies again.

Tom

Edited by Nauti Cat on October 20 2011 at 20:47

"MY WAY"
Back to Top Printable version View Nauti Cat's Profile Search for other posts by Nauti Cat

salmonpro
"Seaman"

Posted: October 21 2011 at 07:19 | IP Logged Quote salmonpro

TGIF!!!

looking forward to a weekend of working on the hole in the water into which I throw money. this week I am going to put a vinyl covering on my sidewalls of the cabin. figure it is too cold up this way to do anything else other than wood work and vinyl. supposed to be around 60 degrees this weekend here so it should be great working weather for all the non temperature related stuff I need to do.

Back to Top Printable version View salmonpro's Profile Search for other posts by salmonpro

venny
"Seaman"

Posted: October 21 2011 at 07:50 | IP Logged Quote venny

placed horn and light on rader arch ,cut stock light down to 1 ft glued to vhf adjustable mount base, less holes on cabin roof the better,looks the nuts,

radio375
"Seaman"

Posted: October 21 2011 at 14:25 | IP Logged Quote radio375

my 281 blowers exit out the vent in front of the catalina namesplates...you can hear and feel it!!!!

putting the light on the windshield will look good but if you have to use any low bridges be aware!!!!!!!

i redid my headliner 4 years ago---not an easy project......

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 21 2011 at 18:16 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

[QUOTE=salmonpro]

TGIF!!!

looking forward to a weekend of working on the hole in the water
into which I throw money. this week I am going to put a vinyl
covering on my sidewalls of the cabin. figure it is too cold up this way
to do anything else other than wood work and vinyl. supposed to be
around 60 degrees this weekend here so it should be great working
weather for all the non temperature related stuff I need to do.

[/
QUOTE]

Salmonpro, what type of material are you using for the replacement?

Jim

www.thehard6.com

LONEWOLF62
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 21 2011 at 19:07 | IP Logged Quote LONEWOLF62

Hello: ALL       Today I watched as the Mech. winterized my eng. , first he draind the risers ,then diconnected the raw water hose from the hull strainer. Checked the antifreeze in the heat exchg. (good to 25 below) he inserted a hose into the raw water line (this hose came from a bucket of antifreeze) ran the eng. till antifreeze flowed out of the riser drain holes.  Then removed the spark irrester from ontop of the carb. Sprayed fogging material into the carb. with the engine running till it stalled out, (FOGGING MATERIAL WAS EXHAUSTED THROUGH THE EXHAUST PIPE) then sprayed more in to carb.  CHECKED THE OIL, AND TRANS. FLUID BOTH WERE OK.  He gave me some good info. about running temps. for this eng. at different RPMS.    I removed both batteries to take home and will keep a battery tender connected to them over the winter. Now I can start my projects, will keep you all informed about my work and post pictures when I can.

Lonewolf

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: October 21 2011 at 20:43 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Cap'n  Lone Wolf:      Thanks for detailed steps of winterizing!! 

You said projects are planned.  And pictures will be Posted. 

GOODY!!!        We --LOVE-----PIT-CHERS!!!!   

Fly Bridge----Dan   !!

Edited by Fly Bridge on October 21 2011 at 20:45

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: October 21 2011 at 21:01 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Cap'n   Radio:      Capn' JimInFl,  wants to replace his headliner, but has temporarily put-off replacing his. He could use your knowledge and experience.  I'm sure any help you could give him will be of immense help, and greatly appreciated!!    I seen the photo of your Headliner post.  Nice job, of replacement!!   

I will eventually replace mine. But for now, "Spray-Can Refurbishment"  is on-going.   

As Jim has CC 1986 model 293 Express, and I have CC 1979 33 Sedan FB, I really could not give him much helpful information, to help him, but perhaps you can.  

Fly Bridge----Dan   

Edited by Fly Bridge on October 21 2011 at 21:11

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: October 21 2011 at 23:34 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Good Evening Boys . Well I am up in New York for a week . Go old Long Island . My New Motor is being put in this week too yea ha. Any way here goes. when I lived in Fort Lauderdale Florida I had an old Chris Craft Catalina . When I took it to boca same thing. Now that I moved up to Stuart Florida the boat fits in a little better there are more older boats there . but still many new center consoles. Today my buddy took me to Freeport Long Island ( Happy Hour III org Port ) and when I loooked onto the canal I saw all old docks and boats many old Silvertons and etc. I felt so much better. Down south it is pretty much all about $$$$$$$$$$$. Boy it was so nice to see a setting like this . Here is a picture of the first boat I saw today

It just made me feel good to see a nice older setting where true boats are with there battle scars and etc. not fake boater and their Searay Sun Dancers . Do you get what I am trying to say ....

You can have fun on any boat. Like I tell everyone at the sand bar I use to go too. Does that guy with the 200k center console have a better time than me out here ? Answer NO , Plus on Monday he has  to goto work and pay for it . when I tell people about this site they are say what a great bunch of guys. Yes we know what we got and we enjoy them and use them.

I think you are all great and thanks for all the help. Now I cant wait to hear my new engine start and run. Will keep you posted . great night guys

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: October 21 2011 at 23:47 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Back to Top Printable version View Happy Hour III's Profile Search for other posts by Happy Hour III

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: October 21 2011 at 23:49 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

above picture is my Batterys, my charger and the motor that blew up .

Dewy
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 22 2011 at 21:20 | IP Logged Quote Dewy

Been laid up since 9-10. haven't  seen my chrissy since two weeks before that.Went down today and checked on her, all doing well,batteries charged and engines fired up.Thinking abt getting some engine work done while I'm down. 20 sitches now out ,another 3 weeks before next eval,no weight bearing for at least 3 more weeks. Still probaly in rehab for abt 4+ months.All doing well as expected.

Edited by Dewy on October 22 2011 at 21:23

Back to Top Printable version View Dewy's Profile Search for other posts by Dewy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: October 22 2011 at 22:42 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Gang, sorry I havn't been posting anything lately, work has been crazy busy. Dewy sounds like you are on the mend, but it still must suck. Hang in there.

Boatman, you getting busy for any Halloween events??

Mike, any more wind damage last week? we had a piling snap off on the boat behind Mystic Diver.

JimHH, saw HH3 sitting at Phil's today, listing to one side. Funny thing about center consoles, when it rains or it gets rough, you get WET!!! Even in a $200K boat. No thanks. Ouch

On a good note, went fishing on a friends 38 Bertram last weekend, 5-6 foot seas and did not get wet. However, we did put four dolphin in the box and lost a few more!! Nite, Y'all, H.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: October 23 2011 at 10:42 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

CAPT HEAVY-ALL IS WELL WAITING ON MY NEW COVERTIBLE TOP FOR THE BOAT AND DOING THE SWAMP BUGGY RACES WEEKEND OF OCT 29TH --DEWEY KEEP AT IT MATE YOU WILL WIN!!

salmonpro
"Seaman"

Posted: October 24 2011 at 07:18 | IP Logged Quote salmonpro

JiminFla,

I am getting my Vinyl from Joanns fabrics they have alot of Marine grade Vinyl that they stock it is nice and thinck and wears really well. also when they do their advertising in our local paper I see that they have a 50% off coupon all the time so I take that andI go and buy a bunch of it. Normally the stuff is 19.99 a yard and then I get it half off so it works out for me.  They also have a great selection of Canvas material as well. I wouldn't suggest this for a camper canvas but for doing your seats and ythis sort of stuff it is great and really cuts the cost when you have the 50% off coupons. Now if I could just get the wife to sew me up some new seat covers I will be in business.

Sean

LONEWOLF62
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 24 2011 at 11:23 | IP Logged Quote LONEWOLF62

HELLO ALL:    I would like to remove my prop., not sure which way the nut turns to remove ??  Pulled the cotter  pin, but will wait to hear from you guys about the direction to turn the nut??   My prop turns to the right in FWD. Gear.

I repaired the scratches in the gel coat, the zincs on the tabs where completly gone, only the bolts were left, the zinc on the rudder was the size of a quarter, the zinc on the shaft was gone, now I know why he hade a zinc fish hung over the side!!   Tabs were not painted, a few barnicols. Bottom paint does not look to bad, some small places showing through.   Should I repaint the whole bottom or just touch up ??    Will take pict. as soon as I can and put them on the site.

Lonewolf

LONEWOLF62
"Seaman Recruit"

Posted: October 24 2011 at 13:00 | IP Logged Quote LONEWOLF62

Hello Again:   I have rebuilt 4 Barl. Rochester Carbs. before and was thinking of pulling the one on my boat and doing a rebuild this winter??   Any thoughts on this ??      Should I pull the raw water pump and clean it up and check to see if it needs any attn. ??    Open for your input on these ideas.

Lonewolf

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: October 24 2011 at 23:23 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Lonewolf,

Good post on the winterizing!

On the prop nut- frankly, I don't know, but a great question.

When in doudt, ask an expert: A prop shop or a boat diver who does this sort of stuff can fill you in. This is not a bang-the-nut moment! You are absolutely right to ask first. This is the driveline and it is connected directly to the transmission! Finesse and knowlege is the word when it comes to drivelines!

Saltwater bottom paint is an 'ablative' paint- check the definition on-line... better to get this information correctly. Bottom paint is a whole-hull affair. Use the same product as prevous coats! Contact the prevous owner to see if he knows or look up in the maintenance log if possible.  Generally speaking, CC Catalinas do not blister, but take a good look anyway. As with any painting, prep is key. If you can afford it, recommend leaving this to the pros. Especially the prep. Two coats, brushed or rolled on. I use rolled on. More paint, thicker coats, goes on faster (Less labor cost). This is a dirty, nasty job. Toxic too.

Note:  saltwater 'activates' some, if not most bottom paints! Unless absolutely necessary, do not re-haul the boat after a bottom job.- Maybe for an hour or so, but no longer- the paint will lose it's effectivness. Wait to do the bottom till just before launching for the season to maximize the paint's potency. If you trailer the boat, bottom paint is unecessary. 

Surfaces where zincs reside are not painted and the zinc themselves are not painted.

On the Carb: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you do service it, do it at the beginning of the season so you can confirm, repeatably, the issue 1st. Also, you can compare before and after operation for tweeking. These are 'Marine' grade carbs- not the same as a car carbs! The marinizer (of you engine) will have the marine carb rebuild kit or you can cross it with a compatible kit.

On the raw water pump: Try to check when it was last replaced- two-four years, time to replace- if you don't know- replace. There is some debate on this, but my view is to buy a new unit or a professional rebuild. I just replaced ours with a off the shelf new unit from Jabsco. I'm planning to take some time and learn the rebuild procedure on the old unit. I always keep a spare aboard.  This pump is too important a component to leave to chance- especially a single engine.

You have a heat exchange?. Now would be a dandy time to have that serviced: pressure tested, cleaned, painted, end seal gaskets replaced- new zinc, raw water hoses checked. Interestingly, our mechanic tells me that the fresh water hoses in the cooling system tend to be pretty reliable if there is no chafing. The lower engine room temps (as opposed to hotter car engine comartments) tend to protect them. It's the raw water hoses that need to be watched. A reputable radiator place in town can do the exchanger if there is no marine place.

best, Roy 

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 25 2011 at 01:31 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Well, the chnages are coming fast now and so is my cash outlay!

The Fiberglass guys had me haul her out of the water this past Sunday so they could get started. I am having all exterior fiberglass surfaces wet sanded, compounded, waxed, and buffed this week. I tried reviving the finish myself with some compound, but it wasn't getting the job done. Everyone who knows the company that I am using has told me this guy is a miracle worker.

Here she is sitting high and dry:

www.thehard6.com

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 25 2011 at 01:51 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

On another front...

When she came out of the water I noticed that the swim platform had some damage. Looked like something collided with it at some point and it was pretty fractured.

I called around Jax and no one seems to stock any Teak. They all want to order it for me, but no one has it in stock now. The boat is only going to be out of thw water until Thursday, so I needed it NOW! Seeing as how I needed 41" (at least) of the stuff, I decided that if I could glue it, it might hold together for another year or so till I could either repair it right, or replace the platform.

Someone earlier said "way to go, getting it done any way you can". Well, this qualifies for one of those solutions. I thought that 3 clamps would be enough for this job. When I got the pieces apart, I found out it was much worse that it looked. So I used what I had; zip ties.

The general consensus on the web was that Gorilla Glue is a great solution here. So that's what I used.

What you see here is actually the third glue up process. There were a bunch of small parts that came loose when I pulled it apart. Think Jenga. I glued those into larger pieces, let them sit until they could hold on their own (but not completely set) and then glued the whole platform together. By doing it slowly in shifts, it allowed me to move pieces around a bit for a better fit.

I'm going tomorrow to remove the clamps and ties and see if my repair has the desired effect. Then I plan to scrape / sand the extra glue away. There is a cover over the platform anyway, so as long as it is solid, I'm happy. and if it looks ok, that's a bonus.

Wish me luck on my ugly baby!

Jim

www.thehard6.com

Fly Bridge
"Navigator"

Posted: October 25 2011 at 02:09 | IP Logged Quote Fly Bridge

Jim:   Good fix!!  The platform should be easy to replace the wood, when in shallow water, ie. "beaching".  seems like all the Teak wood stores are in South Florida!!  Closest place for me is Tampa, Fl. 

I am process of sanding my swim platform.  Only done the top, and thinking of taking the whole platform apart.  I have the narrow boards style.  

As alike you, I tried compounding and buffing, to no appreciative success.  Will work on bottom sanding first, then go-back to hull sides later.  

Leaving Tuesday or Wednesday for OTR driving.  Going to go out for 2 weeks, giving boss 2 week notice of quiting.  Sick and tired of OTR driving.  And not really over-coming my expenses of living on the road anyway.  

More later.  At least you got repairs on platform, under control!!     

Fly Bridge----Dan

Edited by Fly Bridge on October 25 2011 at 02:11

venny
"Seaman"

Posted: October 25 2011 at 08:03 | IP Logged Quote venny

LONEWOLF  iuse interlux micron extra $225.00 per gallon ,1 1/2 gallons for my boat. last 3 yrs with small touch up every spring ,ben doing that for 18 yrs. Paint cost more but no heavy sanding and 2 gals last 3 yrs ,in the long run it is cheaper and less labor as sanding bottom sucks, 2 light coats with 6 inch hotdog roller. Get your supplies at ROSES Marine in glouster ma. they are good and cheaper than west marine,,paint is albative ,multiseason ,haul out and in don`t matter

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: October 25 2011 at 10:28 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

JIM IN FLA--I WOULD COUNTER SINK AND SEAL SOME STAINLESS SCREWS INTO THAT WOOD JUST FOR EXTRA STRENGTH--DRILL PILOT HOLES FIRST--FLY BRIDGE SORRY ABOUT THE JOB THING NO SENSE IN KILLING YOURSELF IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WORK-- 

Happy Hour III
"First Mate"

Posted: October 25 2011 at 20:57 | IP Logged Quote Happy Hour III

Jimfla nice job good fix you should be ok. FYI she is a very nice looking Catalina .  Heading back to Florida tomorrow :-( My girl should  be ready to go this weekend lets how she runs with her NEW Strb motor Also I have to work the Fort Lauderdale boat show this weekend.  I prob will not be able to pick up the Happy Hour to next weekend or during the week we will see. I will keep you posted .

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 10:28 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Well, it may have been an ugly baby on delivery, but I think it turned out ok in the end!

Except for the discoloration from the glue (which I doubt you'll see when the wood is wet) you can hardly even tell. It is smooth enough now that you can run your hand over it and not even get a splinter.

If you pull on it, it's strong enough that the whole boat shakes. That Gorilla Glue is some amazing stuff!

Jim

Edited by JimInFla on October 26 2011 at 10:52

www.thehard6.com

JimInFla
"Deckhand"

Posted: October 26 2011 at 10:55 | IP Logged Quote JimInFla

Quote: Happy Hour III
Jimfla nice job good fix you should be ok. FYI she is a very nice looking Catalina .  Heading back to Florida tomorrow :-( My girl should  be ready to go this weekend lets how she runs with her NEW Strb motor Also I have to work the Fort Lauderdale boat show this weekend.  I prob will not be able to pick up the Happy Hour to next weekend or during the week we will see. I will keep you posted .

I would LOVE to check out the Ft Lauderdale show, but that 5 hour drive down 95 is a chore. I used to have to do it for work, so I hate doing it now!

Enjoy and before you know it, you're new engine will be in!

Jim

www.thehard6.com

]
] ]
191 Pages « 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version