View Last Post Viking Yachts Links
Last Post By: Viking44
Forum: Viking Yacht

Posted: April 17 2014 at: 06:32

View Last Post Amerosport 320
Last Post By: Jerry737
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: April 13 2014 at: 16:00

View Last Post Any Uniflite Owners near Berkeley CA???
Last Post By: concordian
Forum: Uniflite

Posted: March 08 2014 at: 02:27

View Last Post Inverter
Last Post By: eshover
Forum: Chris Craft

Posted: February 03 2014 at: 11:32

]
] ]

Chris Craft
 BoatUS Boat Groups/Manufacturer Forums>>Chris Craft
Subject Topic: Catalina Owners Post ReplyPost New Topic
191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 19 2008 at 11:25 | IP Logged Quote floater251

WOOOOAH, is it worth all that for a hard top? i did find locally on charlotte nc craigs list a 79 251, hard top with camper canvas and an aluminum trailer, running condition for 2 grand. i might go see it this weekend. if the hardtop, canvas and trailer are good, it may be worth getting and getting what i need and parting the rest. with a trailer, i wouldnt have to sell the floater, i can store it at home for the winter!

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 19 2008 at 11:38 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey floater. Yea, thats one way of doing it. Install the factory hardtop, then install 2 opening hatches over the helm and passenger seats for ventilation. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 19 2008 at 14:25 | IP Logged Quote floater251

heavy, hard top would be nice to have somewhere to mount lights, radio,etc.. the trailer will be nice to just be able to get the boat out of the water. redbarron offered me some trimtabs that i will need to get the boat out of the water to install.

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 19 2008 at 15:27 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

floater, hardtops are definitly a plus. Fewer leaks and one less piece of canvas to replace every few years. I hate to even think about replacing the fuul bridge enclosure on Mystic Diver. Several thousand $ a pop. I had a trailer for my 25 cat. Nice to bring it home and work on it any time I wanted to. Gotta go, It's beerthirty. Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 20 2008 at 09:24 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Capt.Heavy,you are too much,that was really funny,even tho it was all the absolute truth.NO way am I gonna build my own hardtop!!I'll just keep looking,meanwhile I'm trying to convince the first mate to cut loose with the jingwa to get the MAG DRIVE HHO,there is a place in tampa that is a dealer and will install,so I'm hoping to get up there this next week and have them install the first one and pick their brains,and see if they will work on boats. FLOATER that sounds like a really good deal,having a trailer is really a benefit as heavy says especially when you need to work on her.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 20 2008 at 10:07 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Boatman and everyone else. Yeah, it's really labor intensive. And I left quite a few other details out. Just some of the equipment needed are a tig welder, pipe bender, pipe crowner, band saw and rent a crane to fly the yower onto the boat. A full blown tuna tower for a 70 foot sportfish can cost over 300 grand. Must be nice. On the other hand, if it weren't for all those fat cats, I'd be out of a job. Never had a poor man give me a paycheck TGIF! Capt Heavy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 20 2008 at 15:35 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, y'all, it's friday,1530 hrs, and that's beerthirty for me. Mystic Diver has a fridge full of ice cold beverages and I plan to indulge. Might even do a little preventive maint. Be safe out there this weekend. Watch out for the wannabe skippers. (and the bikinis) See ya Monday. Capt Heavy

redbarontu
"Seaman"

Posted: June 22 2008 at 23:16 | IP Logged Quote redbarontu

Hello Guys; well the weekend is over hope everyone had a good one and was able to go boating.  I was out for a short time just kinda playing around. i did try shutting down one engine for a short time, the boat still hadled ok out in open water a slight turn of the helm into the good engine and it tracked ok manuvering was a llittle more difficult. this was at slow speeds, with the boat up on a plane I don't think I would like it. At troling speed it might be ok. I do agree that you stand a risk of transmission damage; my tranys are velvet drive I believe they would be at less risk than the paragons. Boatman my engines are pleasure craft general motors blocks 280 hp each. I think they are 7.4 leaders but not sure about that.

I am also interested in finding a hard top; a factory top would suit me fine. They seem to be hard to come by and i have about given up but if anyone finds one they don't want please let me know. A custom one is out of the question for me. Fuel flo gagues ane still on my want list but not ready to fork out 6 to 800 yet. Are used one around? and would it be wise to trust used ones? Dose anyone have a Navpod that would fit a Garmin 2006 chart plotter laying around?          ;     Red baron Oriental nc

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 23 2008 at 08:13 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Heh . red and every one else. If you could fidn a factory hard top to take measurments from you could build your own. Lot of work, make a good wimtertime project.  Capt. Heavy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 25 2008 at 10:50 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, everyone. The mystery of the stalling engine continues. Checked power to the coil with a multimeter. Got power. Couldn't get engine restarted on sunday, but just tapped the ignition switch on tuesday and it started right up. Figures. I'm going to replace the coil and fuel filters today, if we don't have another monsoon. Got 6 inches of rain monday in less than 2 hours. One heck of a thunderstorm. Capt. Heavy

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: June 25 2008 at 12:39 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Heavy,

Yup, sounds like an electrical problem in the primary ignition circuit on that engine. From your discription, the starter is turning consistently when called for, but the engine is intermintemtly failing to fire:  Suggest removing the wire from the 'I' (ignition lug) on the starter/ignition switch and also from the coil. Confirm the color of the wire is the same at both ends or at least it's the same wire in case it's been repaired B4 or for some reason there's a branched wire in the circuit (unlikely, but check anyway). Use an ohm meter to test continuity across the wire while Jiggling the ends (the butt connectors may be loose) and jiggle along the run in case the wire got stretched somehow.

Another possibility is the ignition switch itself.

1) Battery connected: Test supply-side lug to ground- read 12vdc more-or- less. Test ignition side lug to ground for 12vdc MOL while jiggling all lugs and repeatedly rotating the key switch on/off/start (maybe the Ign switching is not working when in the momentary 'start' position.

2) Test switch while power dissconnected (recommended).   Suggest using allagator clips to assure good test point contact and safety.

Findlly, perhaps the supply wire from the Battery is intermintent. Test same as above.

For the old salt you are, I know this is old hat...I'm playing devils advocate here: Murphy dictates reclarification sometimes does the trick.

Test twice each procedure b4 moving on.

go with God etc,

Diver

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 25 2008 at 13:11 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Diver. thanks for the advice, I also think it's electrical. I'm going to replace the fuel filter just to eliminate that possibility. It's due anyway. I've already done much of what you suggested. The wiring in this boat is a nightmare. Since it's ia flybridge with the controls/instument panel is far forward on the bridge. Very long wire runs, with much of it being inaccsessible behind cabin bulkheads. I have a duel station setup. Unlike the 28 cats, my lower station is inside the salon. Really usless. All of the ships wiring runs from the engine compartment behind the port cabin wall to the lower station, then through a pipe to the bridge controls. Now get this. While all of the engine wiring is color coded (and faded) all of the wiring on the bridge is black or white. It's all numbered, but without a wiring schematic it's usless. Why they did this is anybody's guess. I'm going to replace the coil to eliminate that. I was in a fishing tournament last month on a friends 28 bertram and we had 2 coils fail in two days. What are the odds?  The  wiring harness on the engines are too long for this boat. The factory accually wire tied the eccess harness back upon itself in a loop. Really shoddy workmanship. I'll check the battery terminals to be safe. Anyway, when I get things done, I'll take one of the boy's from the shop with me after work on a sea trial. If it happens again at least I'll have someone on board who can run the boat while I check things out. Letting my wife run the boat on one engine last weekend with on a crowded waterway took ten years off my life. Will keep everyone informed of progress. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 25 2008 at 13:15 | IP Logged Quote floater251

i ran into close the same problem, but would happen only when on rough water or  turning hard port. lucally it was simple. loose wire on the back of ignition switch. it was the first thing i checked. every once in a while, not often, things work in my favor.

floater

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 25 2008 at 13:31 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

yeah, floater you got lucky. I gaurantee it will be the very last item I check/replace that will solve the problem. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 25 2008 at 14:03 | IP Logged Quote floater251

Well, start with the last thing first!

always a smartass in the crowd.....

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 25 2008 at 14:12 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

I'm going to start with a cold beer and finish with one! Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 25 2008 at 14:22 | IP Logged Quote floater251

now your talk'in! that is the first step to clearing the mind, then the last thing to do as to celebrate the repair. so, "CHEERS"!

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: June 25 2008 at 15:03 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Heavy,

Oh boy, being an electrical engineer I have this nightmare about eating spiggetti, reaching down for another forkfull and coming up with a mess of multi colored wiring...mmm good Ragu...! 

Years back, I made up  three differant colored,  12 guage, 20' long quality allegater (heat shrunk) test leads.  To eliminate unnecessary bodily contorsion, I remove the questionable wiring from circuit using these test wires/temperary replacments and WaLa! test and fix at the same time. If the wire's too short, I allagator them together and tape.

For your arrangment, maybe this stratagy will work.

Having these leads on board at all times works if quick action's top-a-the-list. This, along with wire hangers, duct tape, a mirror and varous sized magnets make for part of any good emergency locker .

don't get stuck between decks!

diver

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 25 2008 at 15:25 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Diver, great minds think alike. Or is that crazy minds. Any way,I also have a 14 gauge 2 conductor set on mystic diver. Comes in handy for a lot of stuff. Heavy

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 26 2008 at 13:05 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, gang. The saga continues. swapped out the starboard coil wed. after work. Tapped the start switch, engine started before one  complete revolution. I did replace a ring connector  on the coil that was pretty well corroded. If the t-storms get out of here by 3:30 today, I'll change fuel filters, clean the carb. and check  a few other items. Give it a sea trial friday. Got a couple guys from the mechanic's shop comming along. maybe we'll drop some fishing lines in the water. We'll see. Got to get ready for 4th of july weekend. Got a 4 day weekend. Yeeehaaaaaaaa! Capt. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 26 2008 at 15:58 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Heavy:my stbd engine would shut down'turned out to a spade connection on the back of the ignition switch,was real loose,but would still make contact,squeezed the little spade ears very gently with needle nose pliers and pushed back on the tab then tugged slightly,it stayed!!!!checked all the other DARLING LITTLE SPADE CONNECTORS found a bunch more.all ok now....just a thought. they work loose from all the years of temp changes,some just down right fall off..All good advice from the guys.soooooo much to do---soooooo little time 

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 27 2008 at 07:59 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Roger that Boatman. It's on my list of things to check. Hard to get anything done with these afternoon thunderstorms. They always seem to hit about the time I get off work. Thursday I had just enough time to change the fuel filter. Will clean the carb during lunchtime if the weather holds out. Test run after work. we'll see. Capt. Heavy

BillB
"Seaman"

Posted: June 28 2008 at 13:58 | IP Logged Quote BillB

Hi all:
It's great to be here. Been lurking a while, and have just bought a 1984 Catalina 280. Carol & I bought the boat to cruise the bay and perhaps extend our range next year. Our Catalina is in great shape, tho it could stand some updating.
We plan to make a hardtop (I'm handy with fiberglass) and add some cockpit seating this winter.
I'll post a picture or two as soon as I have some.

Bill

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 28 2008 at 22:28 | IP Logged Quote floater251

welcome aboard bill! congratulations on your purchase. nothing like a 15knot cruise in a catalina! as you may have seen in previous posts, you can learn alot from the pros, like diveryates, captn heavy, boatman66, and others. keep us up with some pix, and cruise stories. oh, please tell us you have the answer for better fuel economyand cheaper fuel!

floater.

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: June 29 2008 at 09:49 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Welcome BillB,it is always good to have another mate on boardYou will find that your new boat is a really rugged machine,and will take kindly to modifications.Feel free to discuss ANYTHING you have questions about.If we can't help you,we will direct you to someone who can.Happy boating.

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 30 2008 at 09:19 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Bill and everyone else. Bill I've been throug barnaget inlet many time. Not one of the best inlets i've ever seen. Used to go diving on the White Star with Capt. Ray Ettle. Anyway, The saga (nightmare) of the stalling engine continues. Found a wiring harness connector tha was heavily corroded. Respliced all with heat shrink butt connectors. Still not right. found another connector that broke off when I picked it up, So I respliced this also. Didn't solve the problem, but the alternator puts out a lot more now. Tried jumpin a hot wire from the battery to the positive side of the coil. Boat ran fine. Leads me to believe the starter switch is bad, or wiring in that area. Keep plugin away at it. Capt. Heavy

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: June 30 2008 at 12:33 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi Heavy,

ok, to be clear on the symptom: The starter activates every time when called for and you have intermintnent cut out on one of the engines under way...right?

Sounds like you're on the right track with running a jumper wire direct from the battery to the positive side of the coil resulting in smooth running.

Suggest next step is to eliminate the wire from the battery to the hot side of the ignition switch:  relocate the jumper wire from the battery to the incoming 12vdc side of the ign switch to the coil (jumper already connected per you note).  Start, run the boat to see if you're able to reproduce the symptom. If running smooth after warmup and perhaps a short trip , the problem is between the battery and the 12vdc supply side of the ignition switch. If the symptom does reoccur, looks at the the ign switch itself or the wire to the coil +. 

The starter solinoid activation function and ign power both get their power through the same wire from the battery. Odvous, I'm thinking out loud. Assuming a good Barrery, if the starter function intermintantly fails to activate the starter....this may be a clue.

I've had my single cut out mid-trip too. I accedently stepped on the main engine connector. The Ign wire runs through this connector. Couple of ways to look at this: remove strapping, tie wraps etc from the connector. Turn on the cabin-light circuit breaker on the main panel so you can see an illuminated cabin light from the engine compartment.  Juggle main connector and see if the light goes on/off, flickers etc. 

OR

Start the engine and jiggle the connector to see if the engine cuts out. If so, pull connector apart, Clean/inspect the pins. These pins are split down the middle to affect a spring action making good electrical contact with the female side. Make sure these pins are intact. Try and ID the IGN wire.  If necessary, bypass the connector, a pain, but doable---careful, make sure the batteies are disconnected, the main panel 12vdc buss runs through this connector too.  It's usually really in-there,  so ya wanna be careful, slow and easy. One should be able to remove/insert the connector repeatedly with good connection every time.  Also test after torquing down the conn. strap.

Hope this makes sense...Diver

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: June 30 2008 at 12:37 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Hi BillB,

You may want to take a look at myspace/diveryates.com

might stimulate some thinking on a cockpit seating project...

Diver

Edited by Sonja Lowe on September 23 2013 at 23:47

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: June 30 2008 at 12:50 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, Diver. Thanks, always, for the info. I've already replaced the main connector, were very corroded. Going to replace the ignition toggle switch today. It's s simple off-on-momentary on switch, only about $9.00, cheap insurance. I have a few other things to check yet, like the ground wires to the side of the block and a few other things. Just trying to be systematic about the whole thing. Big weekend comming up, got to "get er done". Capt. Heavy

poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: June 30 2008 at 16:57 | IP Logged Quote poppop

Heavy
How old is the coil?
Back to Top Printable version View poppop's Profile Search for other posts by poppop

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: June 30 2008 at 19:55 | IP Logged Quote floater251

diveryates, visited your myspace. pix of the chris look GREAT. very impressed with the band too! my wife works for ludwig drums (yes, thay are in po-dump monroe n.c.). their wood manager is my teak veneer connection!

heavy, sorry i havnt been any help on the drivability issue. if i cant plug a computer into a "obd" port under the dashboard, im clueless. im depending on ya'll to keep the floater in motion. i did run your problem by a couple of my techs, that all agree on the ignition switch. very similar to a problem we had on the pre vortec silverados.

floater

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: June 30 2008 at 21:06 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

cool, jus Rock'in The Free World....

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 01 2008 at 07:46 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Hey, pop pop. Coil is new, wasn't the problem. pretty sure it's the switch. Ordered one from NAPA, should have it wed. afternoon. Going to be on the water this weekend if I have to get out and push. Capt. Heavy

poppop
"Seaman"

Posted: July 01 2008 at 09:02 | IP Logged Quote poppop

Heavy
Lucky you. My boat is sitting in my yard. I'm doing some motor work on her.
Back to Top Printable version View poppop's Profile Search for other posts by poppop

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 01 2008 at 09:29 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Pop Pop, that dosn't sound good. Hope it's nothing serious. Be a shame to miss out on the 4th weekend. Heavy

boatman66
"Commander"

Posted: July 01 2008 at 11:19 | IP Logged Quote boatman66

Yeh missing out on being on the boat is a bummerI won't be on mine either,I'm the roady for a p/a sound company,and friday we are putting up 24 speakers on the naples pier for the fireworks which are at the end of the pier,the horns are directed left and right to the beaches,and the music is simulcast from a radio station for the show.Gotta work all day setting up and it's direct sun the whole time talk about a cooker!! BUT we get to stand at ground zero for the show and that is a blast Soooo all you buds have a great time and a safe day and tip one for me.. REMEMBER AMERICA IS THE BEST AND ALWAYS WILL BE!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 01 2008 at 11:27 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Roger that, Boatman. I'll tip more than one for you. P.S. Don't forget to wear ear protection. Capt. Heavy

floater251
"Navigator"

Posted: July 01 2008 at 11:30 | IP Logged Quote floater251

keep those flags flying! and BOTTOMS UP! happy 4th fellas!

Capt. Heavy
"First Mate"

Posted: July 02 2008 at 12:00 | IP Logged Quote Capt. Heavy

Aaaahhhhhhhhhh! The nightmare continues. Ohmed out all the switches, all o.k. Hot wired the coil direct from the battery, no spark from coil. Ordered new electronic distributor module from jerry's marine. Will install tomorow. Carumba! Capt. Heavy

Edited by Capt. Heavy on July 02 2008 at 12:38

diveryates
"Lieutenant"

Posted: July 02 2008 at 13:07 | IP Logged Quote diveryates

Heavy,

Just to be sure:

Disconnect the 12vdc lead at the coil that comes from the 'I' (ignition) on the ignition/starter switch.  Set volt/ohm meter to read volts DC  in the correct range. One test lead to this disconnected wire. Other test lead to engine ground(block). Turn ignition switch on/off. 12vdc will be indicated on the volt meter following the switch on/off function. This will eliminate the problem being the ignition circuit from the battery. 

I think you have a twin engine setup, right? The other way to do this: label known good electronic ign. unit's wires on the good engine. Disconnect/reconnect this electronic unit to be sure it will work following the test procedure your about to commence. Do this first.  Then, using a jumper wire set, connect the suspected electronic ignition unit onto the other, known good engine. If the engine fails to fire, this confirms the suspected units failure. Reconnect known good Electronic Ign unit and start engine. This way, you do not put the known good Ign. unit at risk.

Same deal for coil, ign/start switch testing.  

In the interest of preserving what's left of your sanity, I want you to be sure. Relax, think slow, logically, in order step by step. Test results must make sense first, before moving on. If not sure, step back, take a break- clean hands with a rag and review. I like the rag concept 'cause for me, it enforces the need to step back, regroup and at times utter a silent prayer to the gods of the good-fix-it universe. 

diver

]
] ]
191 Pages « 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »

Post ReplyPost New Topic

] ] ]
]
  ]
Printable version Printable version